2011-09-15 06:29:26

hi,
here is a sample of the new voices that will be shipped with windows 8
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8746151/microsoft_voices.mp3
it sounds much better than microsoft anna imo

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2011-09-15 17:12:23 (edited by Victorious 2011-09-15 17:13:46)

Thanks for the update there enes. Just out of curiosity, where did you find info about this? I've been monitoring all the major technology sites that I know of, closely following build.

About the voices, they're a vast vast improvement over anna in windows 7 but it still can't beat Alex in snow leopard.

2011-09-15 18:37:12

Do you think that jaws 13 will work around the supposed inaccesibility of windows 8?

2011-09-15 18:55:51

Those sound good compared to what we have in Vista and 7, and especially XP and before interns of voice. However, a fundamental question of mine is still yet unanswered: Will the Accessibility feats be available in the WRE? Can you boot from the CD and have it talk on at least some systems?

2011-09-15 21:06:02

awsome, when is windows 8 coming out?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-09-16 08:14:35

hi,
next year this time it will be released
and just found these voices lying around

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2011-09-16 08:35:00

Cool voices! I will use them in my movies lol. I like David.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-09-16 11:30:46

@arqmeister: I'm almost certain that jaws 13 won't be able to run on windows 8 properly. Unless they totally rewrite a major part of jaws so that it no longer relies on the freedomscientific mirror display driver before the final release of jaws 13, jaws 13 will probably just be a glorified screen reader. Don't take my word for it though. Hm; come to think of it, other screen readers who rely heavily on any mirror drivers like window-eyes will be in the same boat. Does anyone know if Hal uses a mirror driver? Am just curious. I'm sure that freedomscientific will find a way to get jaws 14 to work properly in windows 8 though by next year.

@PaulieD: So far, the developer preview (as far as I'm aware) does not yet have this feature but you never know; microsoft might surprise us. Afterall, we're still a year away from a final release. The things that I've been hearing about the improvements made to narator are promising and it seems to me that microsoft is trying to compete with apple with regards to built-in accessibility.

2011-09-16 12:21:54

It would be cool to see microsoft come out with something like voice over. Also, hmmm, i guess i should just wait and see how jaws and windows 8 tango before i jump on the waggon so to speak.

2011-09-27 11:44:16

Well, the new Narrator is just a copy of Apples Voiceover. I'm not saying this just because I'm an Apple fan, but just wait and see. It really works the same way...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2011-09-27 13:21:44

It sure will be interesting though to see how this pans out for screen reader developers if it turns out to be true; that Narrator is as full featured as Voiceover for both Mac and iPhone. I'm still waiting for talking installation as featured  in Mac OS since 10.4. I could see why it wasn't available before, but certain hardware is getting more common now.

2011-09-27 15:38:13

Its pretty similar to voice over, though its still too early to make a definite comparison. After all, the betas aren't out yet, much less the release candidates.

2011-11-02 06:19:14

Anybody know if I can get those voices as SAPI5 voices so I can install them on my Windows 7 laptop?

2011-11-02 09:52:41

Hi,

There is a MS Speech Server + Voices on the Microsoft Website. Enter something like "Speech platform 12" (I think 12 is the latest) in the search box, should be one of the first results you'll find.

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2011-11-22 08:55:16 (edited by twynn92 2011-11-25 06:40:25)

Actually, the latest version of the Microsoft Speech Platform is 11.0, released on October 25, 2011 if I'm not mistaken. relevant links are below:

For those of you that will be using it with NVDA, you will need to use either a recent snapshot, or 2011.3. Instructions are within the user manual (section 10.4). Note that you will have to use the X86 runtime even if you're running a 64-bit OS.

I don't know of any other screen readers or programs that will support the Microsoft Speech Platform unfortunately.

The only high-quality English voices are Hazel (en-GB), Helen (en-US), and ZiraPro (en-US).

Have fun!

2011-11-22 11:47:45

Hi,

You do have to use the X86 version. At first I tried the X64 version, but this failed horribly.
Well, I wasn't sure if 11 or 12 was the latest version. Somehow I remember installing version 12 sometime earlier this month, but again I could be wrong.
I'm not that impressed with them though. At first the voices were of poor quality, and now they seem to have some SpeechInterupt issues. Not sure if this has been fixed yet or if it's something to do with the SynthDriver for NVDA, as it's the only thing I tested it with.

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-11-22 23:00:17

GhorthalonTheDragon wrote:

At first the voices were of poor quality, and now they seem to have some SpeechInterupt issues.

It doesn't seem that way to me... Here's how mine sounds like, using the script for the Windows 8 voices demo, with a few changes: Listen to the Microsoft Speech Platform demo.

Not sure why the recording clicks, but it doesn't do that in reality.

2011-11-23 00:01:01

Hi,

Haha~
It made me smile. Now: the issues I was mentioning:
- In the older versions of said platform, the voices seemed to be stuck at 8KHZ for some odd reason. This is improoved.
- Now: Let's imagine I use it in NVDA. Tabbing through dialogs at a very fast rate. Sometimes it gets stuck and finishes reading before suddenly jumping ahead to the current control it was supposed to interupt and speak before.
Not sure if this made any sense, but that's my experiences with it.

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-11-23 22:14:15

enes wrote:

hi,
here is a sample of the new voices that will be shipped with windows 8
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8746151/microsoft_voices.mp3
it sounds much better than microsoft anna imo

add me to Skype at audio gamer333

2011-11-23 23:03:48

Hi,
Ok, I have to ask: why did yu siply quote a post in your post/ That is a waste of our time to check out a topic when there is not anythng new.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-11-25 06:42:46

KevanGC wrote:

What exact file should I install for the new voices? I don't want to break my SAPI, I'm running Win 7 X64.

First of all, the SAPI interface and the Microsoft Speech Platform have nothing to do with each other. Second, see my post (number 15). Relevant links for the exact files start from the paragraph that starts with "[f]or those of you that will be using it with NVDA ..."

If you need any clarification, let us know.

2011-11-25 06:49:28 (edited by Kevan 2011-11-25 06:54:28)

It works fine! These voices are awesome!

I, too, have noticed a small lag in them though. Is this an NVDA issue?as

2011-11-25 11:51:47

Hi,

Well, also my personal opinion...
I don't really like the voices too much. They're much better than the Sam or Anna voice from XP, Vista and 7, but they sound a little... Hmm... Maybe bored?

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-11-25 13:48:36

Not to mention they have some serius pronounciation issues.
The british one can't say synthesizer dialog. It actually says synfsizer die aalig. something like that anyway.
And in v11 of the platform they became considerably less responsive. IDK why that is, but it's the case.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2011-11-26 07:28:08

NVDA 2011.3 has been released and among one of the improvements was better support for the new microsoft voices. Has anyone tried NVDA 2011.3 with them?