2011-07-22 13:09:12

Yes this is the news that Jim Kitchen has released his very first ever platformer! If you know anything about Jim and his previous games you won't need to guess who the star is either! No, no it isn't another controversial adult game but it is in fact...

Awesome Homer! (database entry)

Gonk the Ape has kidnapped everyone's favourite blue haired pipe cleaner... I mean... oh to heck with it, he's stolen Marge. So what does Homer do? Well he rides off on his trusty donkey to rescue her of course!

After all how hard can it be to find a woman with a huge pillar of blue hair and get her away from a mere ape, right? Right? Well you'd be surprised. Personally I've still to get past the rolling barrels in the first level.

So go ahead and Download it here (direct link) or discuss it in our forum!

Good luck and happy gaming.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-07-22 19:09:17

I've been meaning to give this a try!  big_smile

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-07-22 19:35:34

The one thing I'll say is I'm not sure why control is jump and shift duck, I'd have thought up and down would be more appropriate but ah well.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-07-23 06:51:30

Well, even though I haven't gotten there as of yet, I read that the up arrow is used for going forward or up which ever way it is in the instructions.

2011-07-23 07:54:38

In a lot of 2d games that didn't make much use of the up button, there was a separate button for jump. Actually, I can't think of a single platformer that uses up for jump...
... Down was almost always used for ducking, though.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-23 14:41:40

Sean Terry:
It's a platformer, left and right are used for forwards and backwards. Unless there are later levels which do something strange the up key seems to have no use at all.

cx2
-----

2011-07-23 15:11:09 (edited by robla 2011-07-23 15:13:15)

in a later level you do use the up key, to walk forward, sean was correct!
another thing to add is that, we should stop the false theories that its a platformer.
it has one platforming level, but all levels after that are different.
they range from jumping to planes by simply hitting controll at the right time.
to a object shooting game where you turn toward the target.
to a logical number game, where the numbers are used.

2011-07-23 15:33:47

Ah many apologies, I was going on what I'd been told by Dark. I'm not personally on the Audyssey list so Dark dropped me an email asking me to fill in this entry and he described it as a platformer.

cx2
-----

2011-07-25 10:55:50

sorry, I had a very short time to drop Cx2 the announcement mail before running to catch a train and hadn't actually played the game then myself. I know now there are a variety of levels of different types.

I will however make one point cae, as regards the up arrow, if you've ever played any games on a computer like the Comador Amigar where joysticks had just the one fire button, up was always! jump.

Of coursein the graphical pc turrican games, this tradition mostly stays too, and in fact on a couple of occasions when a game like turrican or robocod had an amigar release and developement before it came out on other platforms, up as jump was left in.

that's why on the mega drive in robocod you can press either up or b to jump, so I don't mind which button is used myself.

My more major problem with homer is an inability to complete the first level despite having jumped 22 barrels and destroyed 7 more with the saw. i wonder how long the level goes on?

I don't mind this though, in fact I give Jim a lot of creddit for making a difficult, sterrio based arcade game that actually gives some challenge to the player.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-07-26 18:51:43

How many barrels is it in the first level of the game? I have passed 20 barrells now.

2011-07-29 10:08:20 (edited by Name Badges 2011-12-10 18:10:39)

Great post. Really, REALLY useful. I’ve been trying to get more comments on my post… this is exactly what I need.Thanks.

vampires live codes

2011-07-29 18:01:39

there are ablut 30 in level 1. you need to be incredibly lucky to get past it. it took me 3 days. literally

Any idea how to play level 6 though? I'm thuroughly confused I know how the controls work I just don't know what the sounds even mean or even which way I'm going

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2011-07-29 19:32:15

Hmm, about 30? My best game I jumped 32 and destroyed 8 before one knocked me out. I get the feeling it has to do with how far you go and not how many obstacles you avoid.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-31 12:59:25

I try this game, but iis little dificult. These barrels are very crazy and quickly by me.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2011-08-07 20:16:18

It would be great if I could get past the pit in level 1 though.  I keep jumping, and still homer falls in.

I'm at Latitude E6530, and Longitude S100-1525.

2011-08-09 04:09:48

you go left not right

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2011-08-09 07:54:29

Strange.  Why wouldn't the directions have told us that?

2011-08-09 21:31:57

if anyone's been to level 4, do you guys remember it being a very long level?  I had to have passed maybe 20 trees and I still haven't gotten past it.

2011-10-02 15:19:14

I think you have to pass 40 or 30 I am not sure. But I beat that level. I am stuck at level 5

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page