2024-03-26 01:55:45

This is just a rec for Neal Asher's polity series. I discovered these books recently in an odd way. Heard someone on a podcast taking the piss out of them after he read part of one over someone's shoulder on a train. Not being an SF fan, he thought the bit he read sounded really stupid. So obviously I looked them up, and they're great.
I'm halfway through the third book of the Spatterjay trilogy. It's one of those book series where there are series within series, and prequels have been written 20 years after the books they preceed, so it can be really confusing to know what order to read the books in. The internal chronology is all over the place. Like for instance, The Skinner is the first book of the Spatterjay series, and  was one of the earliest to be published, yet is listed as book 16 according to the internal chronology of the overall polity series.
Not sure how to describe this series. According to wiki they're post cyber punk, but I have no idea what that means, so I'd just call them extreme SF. Pretty geeky stuff that goes into great detail about the mechanics of the Polity universe. The Spatterjay series is set on a world of the same name and largely revolves around a virus that infects every living thing on the planet and how it mutates things in order to serve its own survival by making the host practically immortal. It has good characters and great narrative to go with the fascinating descriptions of the extreme biology and tech. All available in well narrated audio too if that's your preference. Check them out if you like SF and haven't heard of them before.

2024-03-26 18:27:23

I'll have to check this out. It sounds interesting.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.