2024-03-25 18:13:43

Hi,

Is there a way to fix choppy audio in Arch Linux when running in VMware Player? The host OS is Windows 11 23H2, and I'm running VMware Player 17.5.1. I've tried installing Arch using both Pipewire and PulseAudio, though it doesn't seem to make a difference. The sound is so bad I can't clearly understand Orca speech. The strange thing is that audio worked just fine during the installation process. I can work around this by connecting a USB device, but I'd like to fix the audio on the default VMware sound system.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2024-03-26 00:33:00

It sounds like a VMWare issue with their sound driver, and not something you could really fix either. Virtual box has better audio support all round, and so does qemu, yeah there's a windows version of that. VMWare is the outlier that just can't seem to get its audio right, and yet has audio support for every Mac version.

For me, the new coding age begins!

2024-03-26 00:42:06

By chance, do you have stuff like HyperV, Virtual Machine Platform, and Windows Hypervisor platform enabled?
You can turn those off by going into the Windows Features settings (you can get it to it quickly by typing "Turn w" in the start menu until you hear "Turn Windows Features on or off").
I found that it fixed my audio for virtual machines like Windows 2000 and XP, and it also affected other VMs that had stuttery audio.

2024-03-26 01:18:23 (edited by Chris 2024-03-26 01:19:59)

Disabling all Microsoft's virtualization features didn't help. How easy is it to use QEMU on Windows? If it requires exclusive CLI usage, I'm not interested. I really wish Microsoft would add audio support to Hyper-V. It's much better than VMware. I'm not touching Virtual Box. The GUI is trash with screen readers, and the CLI is ridiculously convoluted.

2024-03-26 01:57:14

There is a setting that is called I think Core isolation turn it off. Because it affects even windows systems in virtual machines

2024-03-26 04:27:12

Disabling Memory Integrity in Windows Security didn't help, even after I rebooted to apply the change. I guess I'll be using a USB audio device until Hyper-V gets audio support.