2024-03-27 15:43:57

@48 no, if you run asahi it's not, it's running natively and you fully boot to it.

2024-03-27 16:07:21

What does the keyboard of the system 76 laptops look like? There discription of it sounds, strange. It reads
Crtl, Fn, Super, Alt, Space, Alt, Del, Arrow Left (Home), Arrow Right (End), Arrow Down (Page Down).
This makes me believe all the keys are in a straight line across the bottom row? That would be a strange keyboard?

2024-03-27 16:56:56

252, nope, it's pretty much your regular keyboard. There's control, then the fn key, then super/windows, left alt, space bar, right alt, right control, and then the arrow keys/page up/page down. The page up/down and arrows are tightly packed such that the page up key is above the left arrow and the page down is above the right arrow, with the up arrow of course being right above the down arrow. My (only) complaint is that home, end, print screen and delete are all in the function row, after f12, and the keyboard has no insert key.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2024-03-27 17:01:59

I dunno what that's saying but usually a parenthesized key like that means they want you to use fn+whatever to trigger the second function.

There's not exactly a speed difference between Arm and X86.  Mac Arm is better than almost everything right now.  That has nothing to do with VO in a technical sense but for all I know they botched something.  Still I was told that Arm is better.

Getting a Mac only to put Linux on it, is like getting a house only to go live in an apartment or something.  You bought all that house with all that money only to go use the apartment, and what a waste.  Plus they don't really want you doing that these days.  They axed bootcamp for one.  I'm skeptical that any solution for it that's not using a VM will last long term.

Linux used to be a battery life hog.  Sounds like that maybe changed, but there was definitely an era in which Linux was what you avoided if you wanted to keep your fans off.  I think that--though he's going to disagree--we should remember that Ethin and the other "Linux Linux Linux" people around here tend to forget all the years it took to learn to deal with Linux desktop's shortcomings, battery life issues or otherwise.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2024-03-27 17:12:48

Apple has stated that the Apple Silicon Macs are capable of running Windows natively, but it's up to Microsoft to make it happen. Microsoft has said and done nothing about this, though I wonder if it's because the Qualcomm exclusivity deal is still in progress? I thought it was supposed to end at the beginning of 2024, but maybe it's the end?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2024-03-27 18:23:30

Those of you who are saying laptops like the System 76 or Framework laptops are expensive and not worth the high asking price… You do realize that Mac Books are much worse in that aspect, right? You're telling people they shouldn't buy a house because it's too expensive, but that they should by a mantion instead.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2024-03-27 19:18:02

@56
there's a huge difference, very, very huge, first of, there are hundrids on hundrids of devices that are $300 or $400 cheaper than framework/system76 while having the same specs or more, while, they, *, run windows, *, macos is exclusive, and no matter how you deny it otherwise, macs are the strongest laptops in the planet for the prices of under $3000, funny enough go buy the base macbook air and go compair it with the same price any laptop, it might have more storage and ram and I know you're angry freaks of control and you'll shout in outrage for not being able to replace every component, including the color, how dare they not allow us to change the color, wawa wawa, but either way apple silicon is monstrous even the normal model, and there is no computer that can compeet with mac devices and their battery life, none, windows, linux, all of them are far too unstable and not exactly built for efficiency, macs are, same for duribility, all windows devices I touched, no exception, tended to creeck, something falling off after a while, or something else, mac devices never did that unless if you dropped them on the floor or something.
And I mean, fine, system76 and framework are so great, they can last me for 5 or 10 years without buying a new one just buying the newer parts, but why, why do I want it? Why shouldn't I just save the extra $300 I'll pay for it to just get a laptop with more specs, or maybe for food, or getting a new headphone, or anything? Investment? Sure, but what is it to say I will be satisfied with it in 5 or 10 years? Maybe it got scrached so much, maybe I just hate how it looks, maybe the fan isn't for me, maybe and maybe and maybe, easy way around it most of the time is that you'll buy a new laptop when the one gets out of committion, and what does garentee that a new tech appears in 5-10 years that cannot be simplly inserted in your laptop? And the fact that rarely anyone normal heard of framework or system76 heard of the idea doesn't sound like it will show promising future, what if the company decided they're not getting enough money and closed? Or decided to stop producing spare parts? I understand wanting to be able to change ram and memory, in fact I've been searching for it when buying my current laptop, but you folks are going a bit, overboard? Ethin sounds like he doesn't exactly care much about every single piece but the rest?
also you want a very solid argument? Fine, give me a fanless windows laptop that can compile say, synthizer under 15 seconds. Because yes, my old m1 air does that without even getting warm, maybe it did get warm, but it certainly didn't get hot, I am certain of it.

2024-03-27 19:29:13 (edited by mazen 2024-03-27 19:30:24)

@54 yes but Linux people do the same exact thing with Windows laptop, so what's the difference?

2024-03-27 19:29:53 (edited by Dan Gero 2024-03-27 19:34:20)

I have a Mac. Putting my hatred for Apple as a company aside, I know that, on the whole, Macs are indeed very good computers. That's not the point. The point is, you're encouraging people not to buy one thing because that thing is really expensive, but then encouraging them to get a different thing that's much more expensive.

Also, on the visual side of things, why should I care about the color, and why do you care about how a computer looks? I'm blind, and so are you.

TWITCH

2024-03-27 20:01:30

@57, uh, dude, your not proving your point. A system76 laptop *runs windows*. It doesn't come with it but you do know that Windows is trivial to install nowadays? Hell, System76 deliberately updated firmware build configurations and such for their computers to support windows (particularly windows 11). They didn't have to do that. But they did anyway. So I posit that your point has no merit. Particularly since System76's specs -- particularly when maxed out -- are quite good for things like gaming, they don't come with proprietary shit that nobody asked for, and the quality is good. I think Grace just demonstrated earlier that "gaming" laptops -- which are the ones that usually have 16-64 GB of RAM -- aren't exactly all that good.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2024-03-27 20:16:32

@59
Yes but I was saying if you want macos, mac is the only choice, but if you want windows, there are a lot of them, and recommending system76 or framework to every random guy that asks for one is sorta counterproductive because they might not really get a use of it's great features or realize why it's a good thing or really care about it, as I said, argument about your average user.
the color thing was a sarcastic comment to how you want so much control for everything it sounds frankly ridiculous to my brain lol, sorry had to get it out there, it was nagging me for a while.
@60
sorry, when I said windows laptops I didn't specifically mean laptops coming with windows by default, yes I knew system76 comes with popOS or linux by default, but when I say windows I mean to generalize for any laptop that isn't mac, to make it easier to understand.
yes, mayb eI'm sending my point in a weird way, ok, look at it like this. I'm actually really curious and I might check system76 because apparently it does ship to my country unlike framework, but why I was really irritated is how most people here forgot and keep ignoring the fact that there are other laptops and just because system76 and framework offer great customization options they're the only choice, they're good, yes, but don't give the impression that just because they exist the rest are trash. I was giving all the fault points of both to try to drill the idea that your average consumer doesn't necessarily need it, some people don't even care about specs beyond storage, or don't even know anything about them beyond just knowing that having very low in generation x or y is bad or good.

2024-03-27 20:25:26

you're angry freaks of control and you'll shout in outrage for not being able to replace every component, including the color, how dare they not allow us to change the color, wawa wawa

There's no arguing with this level of mind brokenness lads.
Regarding windows on apple's hardware, so much of the hardware is weird and proprietary and completely undocumented, You don't get to build a proprietary GPU, not make device drivers for that GPU that are compliant with the graphics standards everyone else uses. You don't get to be completely tight lipped about the boot process of your non-standard hardware to the point that  you don't provide a shred of documentation. You sure as hell don't get to turn around after all that and say but we aren't stopping Microsoft teehee!
Also keep in mind that even with all the progress Asahi has made, it's still in an alpha state.
I'm gonna recommend checking out framework too for all the reasons everyone else has said plus something that hasn't been touched upon yet. Keyboard replacement. It's nice knowing that when my control or arrow keys start to wear out the keyboard replacement doesn't require a full and time consuming teardown. Also I don't have to cart around an external keyboard when this does happen, defeating the purpose of a laptop in the first place.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2024-03-27 20:46:41

@62, good points. Apple doesn't document literally anything in regards to their hardware. They haven't tried to implement preventative measures to prevent someone from getting Linux or Windows running but they also haven't done much, if anything, to actually help in that process.

My Github

2024-03-27 20:48:01

Yeah hold on. Mac is very much stopping Microsoft, they killed bootcamp, I don't think you can even officially boot an OS?  If you want to run Windows on Mac you use a VM, and that VM may or may not be Arm, and also I think you can run Arm Windows there these days?  But the lack of dual booting is totally on Apple.  If you believe otherwise, can you link a source? Maybe I'll learn something today.

@57
My workstation can't compile the full Synthizer repo in release mode in under 15 seconds from scratch so this leads me to wonder if you are aware that most software in C/C++ or Rust requires flipping it into release mode in some way, and if you don't you get much slower debug builds?

Maybe you could get the Python or Rust packages to because I did really stupid vendoring tricks, but the full thing including tests and benchmarks and all that seems...unlikely.  I can say that GitHub actions takes several minutes on Mac, though those aren't M1 I think.

My Blog

2024-03-27 20:57:48

@64
yeah to be clear I didn't say windows laptops can't do that. I said no *fanless* windows laptop can do that. My windows laptop can do it in like 30 seconds maybe? And it's amd r7730u, but I said for a fanless laptop, that's insanely impressive, because it's quite, comfortable, light, thin, and fast, really fast at that.
and yeah, you're forced to do arm, No tew ways about it last I checked, which makes it not quite the monster it is in macos, and with NVDA, it is noticable.

2024-03-27 22:23:30

Most people would be perfectly happy with a $200 Chromebook. If you want a cheap Windows laptop, go pay $400 or whatever and replace it in 3-4 years when the battery craps out and you can't replace it. I want control over my hardware. I want quality hardware, and I want it to last longer.

2024-03-27 22:30:49

@55, I've heard the same thing.
@64, Your Windows VM has to be ARM on the new Macs.
Things may have changed, but last I heard you had to be part of the Windows Insider program to get the ARM builds.

2024-03-27 22:37:18

Not anymore. You can get ARM images freely now.

TWITCH

2024-03-27 22:52:10

Given how fast the world is changing I don't personally think buying hardware that'll last is the right move unless you have tons of money to throw at it.  I mean in terms of system specs, not in terms of it literally falling apart because it's fragile.

I mean if it's a tower and you're a coder or something and you can upgrade components fine, you can probably get 5-7 years out of it if you put down the money, but with AI coming and ARM taking over and everything going on...idk, throwing say $3000 at a laptop or some shit isn't what I'd personally do right now.  At least, I wouldn't if I had a choice--I am a coder, what I work on professionally takes 10-20 minutes to build, so...well.  But if I could have the choice I wouldn't.  Fortunately work foots the bill for the work laptop.

My Blog

2024-03-28 00:53:49

45, why not gaming laptops?  They actually do come with quality processor, GPU, ram, SSD.  The higher end ones also come with shit like overclockable processors, GPU, liquid cooling, liquid metal cooling, higher quality SSDs than the stuff you find in cheap budget laptops. Budget ultra portable machines mostly have a tiny  tiny fan that doesn't blow much, so they will throttle down when pushed. Legion in fact is the gaming brand, the highest end brand of Lenovo.  Future proofing does seem to work in that a highest end processor three years later will be a midrange machine, in another couple will be low end.  But a low end machine now will be unusable in a couple years, and a midrange will be lower end in a few.  I get that AI is coming, but most of that is in the cloud and  devs have yet to come up with local AI tasks that improve an average user's quality of life in a way that actually matters.
And with gaming laptops before you buy there are really good reviews that cover every aspect, cooling, processor, audio, anything you can think of.  They will even show  what the mic sounds like, or the speakers.  So I'd rather spend over a thousand and buy something quality than spend a couple hundred on a U series processor and then have shit brake and fail and slow down and replace it again in a few years, or send it to warranty because parts broke.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2024-03-28 01:56:48

@70
As I think I said sometimes gaming laptops work out but in general it is easy to put that giant list on paper but that doesn't mean any of it is quality and the sort of person who buys such a machine isn't looking for portable or battery life anywayj.  ANd there's no easy way to tell as the consumer unless someone else you know has one.

My Blog

2024-03-28 02:26:12 (edited by Chris 2024-03-28 02:33:40)

AI is a gimmick, aside from being able to provide us with visual descriptions of images. I have a Dell XPS desktop with an Intel i7-6700 that's almost 9 years old, and it runs like a champ on the latest Windows 11 Insider builds with a SATA SSD. My MacBook Air is nearly 11 years old and is still working quite well, though I've switch the OS to ChromeOS Flex. I completely agree, Purchasing a $1,000 laptop that will last a while is definitely worthwhile, at least as far as I'm concerned. If my 2013 Air came with something better than a U CPU, it would probably be even more capable. I'm definitely very interested in a Framework with a modern Ryzen chip. It's going to zoom!

2024-03-28 02:30:22

I actually got the Rp17 from Eluktronics it is a gaming machine, but a budget one, but got it because it was only AMD machine, and I didn't want Intel.  But it is quality, but for gaming PC I think it is worth going over $2000 budget to get a metal chassis.  The plastic can flex or brake when dropped around the edges.
70, but that is why you  have reviews, you get geekbench scores, or other benchmarks, a whole lot of info from reviews, even the audio quality.  So I'd look at several reviews of something before butying it. I did this with my current machine TBH and the machine is as the reviews said it would be.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2024-03-28 02:31:50

@69, So you don't think it would be a good idea to get a Framework?
You can get some replacement parts for much less than the cost of a new PC.

2024-03-28 03:22:23

Well do any of us know if they will be in business even   as an earlier poster said or if future replacement parts will be compatible with your current laptop. This just seems like a real waste of money tbh.