2024-03-22 10:13:16

Hello!
I would like to ask for your help.

As far as I remember, there was a website where a lot of movies were uploaded in English with an audio description, so you knew what was going on totaly blindly.
I wonder if anyone knows the address of this website? Because I want to watch the Harry Potter movies this way.

2024-03-22 12:29:56

1, I've PM'd you.

2024-03-22 14:13:50

@Strilin it's the audiovault, all the movies should be there.

My chiptune archive is https://chiparchive.com/files/.
And the new sync key is
BQHTXTVRWGMFSI3BI3ZVQ4TGEOGNJJO64
Twitter is https://twitter.com/thechiptunearc1?lang=en

2024-03-23 13:03:55

@2 @3
thx

2024-03-24 01:40:47

yes, hp saga is also in french, but not in spanish on audiovault

pika-san, a pokemon fan! skype: luigimax127
Discord: luigimax127#5490
Pokemon show down username: pika127

2024-03-24 01:55:33

Could be wrong but I thought mentioning these places was against the rules.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2024-03-24 06:19:44

@SirBadger that's not how it works, it's like saying that blowing up the planet is something that will auto get you killed because it's bad.
Honestly the people who thought of that rule were some of the most out of touch people there were to be.
We should be trying to support the people who have our backs at the audiovault because at least they are doing the best to re collect audio description history, both past and present.
If the audiogames archive had done the same to gulch and so on I would be saying the same to them too, I would be giving them my support.

And the new sync key is

2024-03-24 19:12:09

Moderation!
@juan reina I am affraid I am going to have to give you a warning as per the current rule 3 and in particular this sentence:

The sharing or encouragement of illegal material or activities (game cracks, copyrighted torrents that are not free to use, etc.) is not allowed.

I'd also like to add something, mentioning the audiovault, itself, is not against the rules, but, you've outright said where this content can be found, directly in answer to a question as to where to find said content.
If we were discussing the audiovault in terms of a debate on whether it preserves audio description history, the state of the industry etc, then it would work as a mention. That's never been in question. But when you say hay you can find this or that thing on the audiovault, that's an issue.
I'd also like to add something else: the webmasters, Richard and Sendermen, have asked us to discourage the sharing of links to audio described movies as well. This is not just us.
I myself have been wanting the vault to have stuff such as interviews with describers and such, and thoughts on the state of the industry, making it even more of a resource.

2024-03-24 19:24:00

@8:

News to me, but if the webmasters have spoken, then....an we get some sort of statement on it? First I've heard of thw webmasters going hey, knock that off

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2024-03-24 19:43:38

It's kind of funny after a while with Juan Reinas posts: You never, ever see him post anything else, but as soon as the topic is even in the slightest related to any form of piracy, he suddenly appears like the piracy overlord to give us all links and stuff.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2024-03-24 20:36:11

@JaceK same here. I must admit this is news to me as well, seeing as no ware does it have it here.
@aaron it's all good man, but you'd at least should know that audiovault isn't just for collecting what you call piracy, a lovely woman in her free time describes demon slayer on it and to that we can't just say it's just for piracy.
I'm not good with this stuff over text, so maybe voice might help.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C521UH … sp=sharing

And the new sync key is

2024-03-24 20:53:38

@targor I didn't give any links.
I just think that we should be supporting our people first and that sometimes those who are higher are doing something that just might be a bit out of touch because of fear.
I still think that mentioning the audiovault for finding things isn't a problem, and that at the end of the day we should be sticking by our community as we might not think of it yet, but our history for audio description in not just English but other languages is just beginning, and not only for audio description.
I have a feeling that as the blind people of the east move clocer to the west games will change for our people, as I think the age we're in to me would be called, the atari age.
@aaron again we all good man, I'll just send it via pm next time. At the end of the day I want what's best for our people first, and no more.

And the new sync key is

2024-03-24 21:20:26

@9 that is news to me as well, I also find @8's point to be stupid as well do to people take time to describe content over and some of witch will never be described on places like disney plus or hulu. btw hulu sucks when it comes to audio descriptions we need a statement from the web masters on that other wise I won't believe it. I don't think audio valt is not piracy in my book. I should also dump a link over to the internet archive for a game of witch AG archive will not host how ever it is in the net archive. just to prove how stupid some of the rules are on here.

https://archive.org/details/GrizzlyGulchAndChillingham

2024-03-24 21:57:40

@Boo15mario thank you. If Draconis Entertainment ever said hey yall just want to let you know we're killing the games, hit me to put those up on archive.org as well.
We're going to realise that when a good some of our history is lost it's not only going to be the fault of no companies well it is, but guess who's fault it'll be as well, yes that's right ladys and jentlemen it'll be our fault too, because the audiogames archive should have had this thing sorted out from a long time now, so I don't know what the hell they could be waiting for, maybe for the next stone age.
At some point I should slowley start archiving the agarchive content, because someone has to seriously start caring about our history, audio description included.
We are a small people yall, it's time we start looking out for ourselves as a unit.
We have already seen the broakenness of the sighted and there coppyright system, our community shouldn't be making the same mistakes as they now have.

And the new sync key is

2024-03-25 02:04:59

Now, let me be clear, there's a difference between what is needed for the site, and my own personal feelings on the matter.
As it stands, we all live under the same frankly broken law. Even worse, unlike sites like Youtube, we can't reasonably pick fights, so we are taking steps to distance ourselves from an otherwise very troublesome system. Are we perhaps being over cautious, I can almost guarentee it, but it's not wise to put the site at risk for that lack of certainty.
As for my personal beliefs, this law is broken and frankly violates several philosophical principles on law. I hate that we have to be so strict, but please understand that if we end up in someone's cross hairs, there's literally very little we can do about it. Is this done out of fear, you bet your biscuits it is, but we have nothing to prove that this is not a reasonable concern. In essence, please contact your local legislator to fix the laws. Please. I don't like these rules any more than you do, but I like taking chances with playing legal chicken even less.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2024-03-25 02:56:38

@14:

Big publishers do not give a fuck about preservation. Look at live service games. The Crew is shutting down on the 31st and nobody can do a thing about it. Even if you own the game, servers are gone, can't play it at all. Big gaming companies don't care about preserving and have done takedown sweeps of mods at leasst twice in the past several years. Big book publishers sued the Internet Archive, and won. Big music pulled songs from Tik Tok, and so forth.

@15:

Again. Official statement from the webmasters, or admins explaining in depth what the change is, why it's going on. One post in a random topic is insanely easy to miss

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2024-03-26 02:01:51

@8: Honestly, on the Internet, I don't think there's a functional difference between naming a website and linking to it, especially when the website is the first google result for its name. Admittedly, as Admin, you're completely within your rights to offer such a loophole to members, but "don't name drop websites that host pirated content" strikes me as a common sense implication of the anti-piracy policy, and I'm pretty sure that's how such rules have been enforced on other forums that I've been on over the years that had a no piracy policy.

Granted, at this point, the website in question is probably the worse kept secret around here going by the word and common sense interpretation of the no piracy rule.

@11: If they were hosting just the fan-made descriptive audio and the listener had to obtain the show audio from another source, they could probably get away with claiming fair use, but since they're hosting the audio from the original programming and descriptive audio ripped from official sources as well, I'm pretty sure your argument would hold up like a snowball in fire and brimstone hell in a court of law. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great there are fans out there willing to audio describe shows that will likely never see official descriptions available in an accessible format, and even without the fan descriptions, I doubt there are any official sources that offer even half the convenience(All the major digital services are streaming, what download services exist tend to have much higher prices compared to streaming services and have files that are DRM'd to hell and back, I doubt any of the download services allow one to download an entire season in a single click, and if I want just the audio because I don't have enough space for the video on my portable media player, I don't have to manually demux, and that's not getting into how digital services don't always offer the descriptive audio even on works where they are legally required to produce it, or that ripping DVDs/Blu-Rays has always been a somewhat involved process for titles that have physical releases).

And totally agree with copyright being broken as hell. If I were ever made king without power going to my head, I'd declare that everything enters the public domain 20 years after first publication or when the creator dies, whichever comes first and tell all the uncreative, coattail riding business executives trying to milk the classics for infinite money to shut up and make something new and worthwhile instead of just banking on nostalgia... I'd also make it a goal to fully digitize everything in the Library of Congress and make everything prior to 2000 freely available to anyone through the Library of Congress website. Not that that's likely to ever happen.

And yeah, Big Media only cares about preservation if something does well enough they can milk rereleases for easy money, and because copyright has such a disgustingly long duration, preservation of media in the modern day is at best in a legal gray area most of the time and often the work of noble outlaws.

2024-03-26 05:18:12

Not to mention the guilty until proven innocent nature of dealing with copyright violations.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2024-03-27 11:35:34

@Jeffery Mewtamer name dropping the site for the purposes of discussion, the way you did, we don't see as an issue, as you are talking about the site in terms of the way it effects copyright, and, how we'd like to perhaps improve copyright if possible, and are discussing it in terms of comparing it to other things and the state of the industry.
Name dropping the site for the purposes of saying oh hay this or that's on there, the way @3 did, that's a problem. To an outsider, that is outright advertising copyrighted content. Not a good look.

2024-03-27 21:32:09 (edited by wing of eternity 2024-03-27 21:52:36)

I suppose @3, Juan Reina, thinks that, as we are a small community, we need to encourage this stuff.
We don't have many alternatives here.
"These huge streaming platforms would milk everyone to hell and back indeed, as @Jeffery Mewtamer pointed out.
That's true. That's why I personally am supporting piracy, which far from diminishing a work, actually popularizes it.
Chances are that if you pirate, you also care, because contrary to what many people think, piracy is not this jungle of horrible and immoral people: there are strict private trackers, for example, with rare media, that hold to certain standards, where you must seed continuously in order to get data, and to help others get it as well, or simply to stay part of that tracker.
The copyright law is so busted, for seven bodies out of hell!
I had to read "For Whom the Bell Tolls" for my English Literature Seminar, as a personal example.
And to my shock and surprise, I discovered that the book isn't in the public domain yet.
Hell? Books should get into the public domain once the author dies.
  While the author was alive, I could understand that he could make some profit out of it, but then, keep it another 70 years or so? This is horrible.
I wouldn't keep it a day after the author's death.
Are they going to wait another sixteen years to put it into the public domain?
Are these laws made by greedy and horrible bastards?
My answer is yes, they are.

Books shouldn't be in the public domain neither thirty years after the authors death, or fourty, or 200 years.  But they keep extending and extending it forever.

---
"A good ruler gives the goblet to his servants. He never drinks from it himself. The servants need his glory. He does not cary the flame alone.
For a spark does not lit the flame, but the spirit holds it in place. Forgeting that leads one to destruction.
(Enhemodius before the Altar of the Broken)"

2024-03-28 00:28:52

My problem with audio description in general, is that there is a lot of old content out there which, barring these archives, isn't stored anywhere. The question then becomes, how does a blind person access it. Now going forward I don't think this will be such an issue, but for old content for which the tracks exist but which haven't been put on a streaming platform, this is a problem. I agree advertising in public forums like this is not ideal. It's a really hard issue. Is a blind person hurting anyone by getting the odd old movie or TV show here and there? probably not. we're such a small minority in the world that it's not a dip in the ocean. Then again, the material isn't ours to do with as we please.

2024-03-28 04:04:05

@21: Even outside of the specific realm of the blind and audio descriptions, there's a lot of old content that only ever saw official release via television broadcast or VHS tape and the only way to access that content is to either track down a working vintage copy or download a copy someone illegally shared online. Heck, we're at the point were even shows that got DVD box-sets are starting to suffer "keep circulating the tapes, and it's only a matter of time before that's true for stuff on Blu-Ray if we aren't already at that point.

Doesn't help that commercial flops are often written off for tax credit and that when a studio does that, it becomes hard to do anything with the written off property, even just throwing it as is on a streaming service, that releases beyond a properties home country often involve limited duration licenses that, once expired, result in the property being unavailable legally in the country with the license(and might mean official translations end up in legal limbo, or that dissolution of a studio can leave ownership of their properties a mystery.

2024-03-28 15:54:55

I understand it's an issue that they shared the link to the audio description.
But can someone tell me if it's illegal for a totally blind person to know what's happening in such spectacular movies as Harry Potter, Star Wars, Marvel movies, Legends of Tomorrow, Ready Player One, Fast & Furious, Lucy, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Jack Reacher series, etc.?
I don't want to complain in any way; these are just facts that do not diminish; they exist in their own truth.
We can play a few mainstream games available to us. Probably, if sighted people played our audio games with graphics, they would be disappointed by the simplicity of the games.
And now this too. We cannot know what happens in films and series because it is illegal in this form.
Why aren't movie scripts released? As they did, for example, in the case of Fantastic Beasts: Where to Find Them, The Crimes of Grindelwald, and Secrets of Dumbledore productions.
As a result, from frame to frame, a visually impaired person knows exactly what is happening as well as a sighted person, and therefore everyone experiences the same thing.
Because there are scenes that cannot be described, so much happens, but the scripts contain everything you need.
For example, in the first part of Doctor Strange, when the Sorcerer Supreme pushes Stephen out of his body into the astral world and shows him what magic is.
This scene is so abstract that so far no one has been able to explain to me what is going on.

2024-03-29 21:41:42

Audio description isn't illegal itself.

2024-03-30 01:14:57

23 the problem with all the movies and series you've listed there, is that you can get them with audio description on one streaming platform or another. So in this case, you need to pay to watch those movies, just like the sighted folk do. If it's an old Tv show where the DVS track isn't present on the streaming platform, then the argument carries more weight. It's still illegal but in my opinion it's more valid. The ones you've listed though, it's a case of going out and buying them I'm afraid.