2024-03-09 11:15:54

Hello everyone...

I'm happy to announce that Zero Hour assault will include full controller / Joistick support.
However, I also need your help for this.
Since I've never used a joistick in my life, I need you to tell us in detail which controller / joistick controls the game should include.
For example, what will the walking system be like? If you could explain all the elements of the game to us, it would make the process much cooler.

Everything about people can change, including their appearance, but the character inside a person never changes.
Regards...

Bilal

2024-03-09 12:04:52

Hey!
This is exciting news! I should be able to help with controls.
The left stick should move you forward, backward, left, and right similar to w, s, a, d. The right stick should allow you to turn left and right. These two things should make movement feel really good. If you have jumping, then the a button (generally button 0 or 1 depending on the input library used) should probably be used for that. I would use the right trigger for firing. You could probably use the left and right bumpers to cycle through the inventory, and the x button to use the selected item. If there are any controls I am forgetting about, let me know.

Blindgoofball
Founder and lead developer at Nibble Nerds
Where gamers are united!
https://nibblenerds.com

2024-03-09 12:37:29

Hello...
First of all, thank you for this wonderful help!
This might be a bit of a dumb question, but I will ask this question as I have never used a joistick/controller in my life.
Do you navigate the menus with the joistick / controller or do you only use the joistick in-game?

blindgoofball wrote:

Hey!
This is exciting news! I should be able to help with controls.
The left stick should move you forward, backward, left, and right similar to w, s, a, d. The right stick should allow you to turn left and right. These two things should make movement feel really good. If you have jumping, then the a button (generally button 0 or 1 depending on the input library used) should probably be used for that. I would use the right trigger for firing. You could probably use the left and right bumpers to cycle through the inventory, and the x button to use the selected item. If there are any controls I am forgetting about, let me know.

Everything about people can change, including their appearance, but the character inside a person never changes.
Regards...

Bilal

2024-03-09 12:55:54

Hello,
The joystick can also be used to navigate in menus, but usually the dpad of the controller is used for that.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2024-03-09 15:09:30 (edited by maragaz 2024-03-09 15:10:28)

It really helps!
Thanks for letting me  know.

burak wrote:

Hello,
The joystick can also be used to navigate in menus, but usually the dpad of the controller is used for that.

Regards...

Bilal

2024-03-09 18:34:16

Actually, in most mainstream games, the left stick is used to navigate menus, the d-pad usually works as well, so players can have both options. The a button is used to select, and b is used to go back.

Blindgoofball
Founder and lead developer at Nibble Nerds
Where gamers are united!
https://nibblenerds.com

2024-03-09 19:41:02

Do you have a controller now? I recommend you getting one as this will make your debugging much easier.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2024-03-11 20:12:57

Guys, I got this one.  Is this the right one that I should buy?

Anunnaki Vibration Dualshock USB Cable Joystick Gamepad.
Features:
Type
Joystick
Compatibility
PC

Regards...

Bilal

2024-03-11 23:21:57

@maragaz Besides having a default layout, it would be good to also include a joystick configuration option so people can choose their own layout.

My games: https://stormgames.wolfe.casa
Support my work on Ko-fi