2024-03-02 00:16:35 (edited by defender 2024-03-11 00:29:00)

Hey everyone'

The third games for blind gamers jam is now over. It ran for all of February, and let developers try there hand at making blind accessible games in a low risk environment.
We got 26 playable entries out of this one, and several of them are worth a try!
Here are the top ranked games.
https://itch.io/jam/games-for-blind-gamers-3/results
If I were you, I'd especially try The Museum, Fish in the Dark, Glorpo's Jam-o Demo, What We Hunt in the Shadows, DayMon Wars, Lunch Gambit, Minimum Safe Distance, and The Keeper Curse of the Wretched. Also, stay tuned for any future updates to games you liked!

And here's a link to the jam discord.
https://discord.gg/bFzGfxZnrA

2024-03-02 02:26:51

So from the list of submissions I downloaded Solace: Memories of the lost because it said the windows version was screen reader compatible. Since I can't get NVDA to work with my own programs, I wanted to see how this worked. I couldn't get NVDA to work with this game either so I don't know if it genuinely doesn't work with NVDA or if it's something I'm doing wrong. If anyone tries it could you let me know please?

2024-03-02 06:28:26

Tried downloading Solace to test. It's not reading with my NVDA either. Wonder if they forgot some DLL's?

Spill chuck you spots!

2024-03-02 07:11:51

Okay I can confirm that it does work with JAWS, so if you have the demo of that, you're good for at least 40 minutes.

2024-03-02 07:29:01

@Defender Thank you, good to know. I couldn't get NVDA or Narrator to work with it.

2024-03-02 11:21:06

Hi.
Wow. Thanks for sharing. A lot of awesomeness to check out.
Question: Some of the games seem to have a very short deadline, a few hours. Does that mean we have to vote fast, or is that the time where the voting unlocks for the selected game? The deadline is different for each game.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2024-03-02 11:43:49 (edited by defender 2024-03-02 11:44:38)

@SLJ
Actually, that's just a stat showing how close to the submission deadline they submitted their game, we have 8 days for voting still, for all games, which is a totally separate deadline.

2024-03-02 19:10:13

ah, okay. Thank you.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2024-03-03 02:32:54

Hi! I tried to download daymon wars, but i am confused. I downloaded a zip archive and just got a bunch of music files.

2024-03-03 04:33:14

Ok, figured out what i did wrong. There was a file i had missed which was the game. This daymon war game is really fun and pretty challenging, i already lost twice before i started to understand my mistakes. The music is really catchy and i really enjoy the concept.

2024-03-05 10:25:12 (edited by defender 2024-03-05 10:26:33)

Well I don't know about you guys, but I've been quite impressed by this year's entries!
I think that percentage wise, this is the best blindness related game jam I've seen for the amount of actually good games. Allot fewer games relying on blindness stereotypes and cliches this time as well, which is definitely appreciated.
Particular favorites for me include The Museum, Fishing in the Dark, DayMon Wars, Lunch Gambit, and The Keeper, in that order.
Both PG13 and Liam will be covering this, in fact PG13 finished streaming a few already, and we're almost at 200 ratings on the 27 entries now, with more than 4 days still to go for voting.
I think that's the most ratings we've ever had on one of these. It truly feels like the consistency of the annual jams is really paying off in terms of recognition.
I wonder how many full games we'll get out of this, and how many return devs for next year's jam.
Exciting stuff!

2024-03-05 16:47:35

Yeah, i really am impressed with the entries. This is first time i participate in a game jam trying out these games.
How do you vote for a entry? I commented on daymon wars since i truly like that game and the music is really catchy.
Tried the keeper as well, but did not find the gameplay too interesting. The voice acting and atmosphere was really cool though.

2024-03-05 23:04:35

@Computergamer To vote, you have to go to a queue section on the jam page which will then show you a few games at a time that you can then rate. I think this is done to encourage more of the games to be played.

2024-03-05 23:49:12

@aron, interesting. I tried to go to a que, but did not see the entry i want to vote for. I definitely want to vote for daymon wars, i keep coming back to that game.

2024-03-06 01:08:05 (edited by defender 2024-03-06 01:10:13)

@Computergamer
First, you need to be logged into an itch.io account, which it seems you are as I saw you comment on one of the games.
Then, on the submissions page I linked to in the first post, under all the filtering buttons, you will see a link that says view my cue.
In that cue will be the links to like 5 game's pages.
On each jam page will be the voting controls, a bunch of radio buttons, plus a place to comment, and either a direct download link for the game, or more likely a link to the game's itch.io page for downloading.
It's honestly a little bit clunky, but it works.
Each time you rate a game, it is removed from your cue and a new game replaces it, until all games are rated.
This is so that even if people don't rate all the games, every game has a chance to be rated since everyone's cue is random.
You can also set your preferred platform at the top of the cue, and shuffle it (get all new entries) 1 time if you get too many entries that you can't play/don't want to vote on.
Feel free to ask if you need any more help.

2024-03-06 03:16:42

@defender, do i have to play all games first before voting? How would i find daymon wars for example? It is not in the one que i get.
Also, i got the message i have to verify my email adress before my rating gets saved. How do i do that?

2024-03-06 03:25:14 (edited by defender 2024-03-06 08:47:07)

@Computergamer
You will get to DayMon Wars eventually, but you can't choose when to vote on it. The best you could do is to shuffle your cue and hope you get it. It's not super likely that you will though...
As for verifying your email, I'd just check in your account page for a way to resend the verification. If it's not an option there, email support about it.

2024-03-06 11:02:28

when i try to select a DayMon, i can't.
there's no description, and nothing works on the yes, i want this option.

discord: hellblade09

2024-03-07 00:39:01

DayMon isn't the only game worth playing there so if it's broken, at least you have other options.
For me, I was able to select the first one in the list at least, but he uploaded a new version to fix some bugs a couple of days ago and maybe that actually made that issue worse. I don't know.

2024-03-08 11:35:39

@19, How would i see what version Daymon Wars is? The version i use, i got a issue when i got to the part where I have to face a overlord of the area. I got into a daymon pack, my daymon got defeated and I couldn't pick another one in my party. The tts just kept saying the move i was on and pressing the x key gave me no response. I commented on the page about that issue.

2024-03-08 18:46:11

Basically when you go to download it, the amount of time since it was uploaded is shown near the file name on the page. So if it seems to show a newer upload than the one you downloaded, try it again.

2024-03-09 07:18:45

Only a day left to vote guys! We're close to beating the amount of ratings we had last year.

2024-03-09 19:35:03

I have tried out a couple entries. I really enjoyed fish in the dark, daymon wars and the keeper so far. Will see if i have time to rate more.

2024-03-09 21:26:22 (edited by Grinvold 2024-03-09 21:28:01)

Here's my rating. DayMon Wars, What_we_hunt_in_the_shadows, Fish in the Dark and The Museum.
I tried almost all the games and I'm trying to vote but the reCAPTCHA is against... I'm struggling with it, But I'm trying.

Sorry for my English, i use Google translator.

2024-03-09 21:40:47

@Grinvold
Ah, I'm sorry that recapcha is giving you problems. Are you using a VPN maybe? Or is your email not verified with itch?