2024-02-21 20:42:46 (edited by Farhad Ali Bhatti 2024-02-21 20:45:29)

Hello Dear all.
I want to setup the forgot password feature in my BGT program through ubuntu 23 64 vps, but I cannot succeed to follow the tutorials regarding my point.
please help me.
thanks in advance.

2024-02-21 21:20:57

You probably don't unless your backend is written in something that can send e-mail.  That's really the end of this.  BGT can't even connect to modern APIs which require ssl and json.  Maybe you can hack something together by executing Python scripts or something but you could also move on to proper tech.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2024-02-22 00:58:17

camlorn is wrong, you could do it. I won't tell you how because I really do think you should move on from BGT, but the answer of you probably can't do it is simply incorrect

Ivan M. Soto.
Feel free to check out my work and services.
http://ims-productions.com

2024-02-22 01:33:01

I did say it can be done by executing scripts in another language if one really really wants to so no, I'm not wrong.

I guess you could also avoid e-mail for the reset process somehow.  Or dick around with smtp servers that scrape mail folders and try to write files in very specific formats. But...

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2024-02-22 19:03:57

The simple answer is that it depends on your game
If you are using that PHP script, you can use ssmtp for your mail. You can have your Gmail or any other mail service for sending mail to the desired mail address

2024-02-22 20:07:27 (edited by Quin 2024-02-22 20:21:58)

If this doesn't sum up the state of the developers room, I don't know what does.
Person: *Asks BGT question*.
The same group of 4 or 5 people that complain that BGT just won't die over and over and over, repeatedly saying they should stop bothering but never actually doing it: *Enters the topic and posts, bumping it to the top, thus partially keeping BGT alive, and contributing absolutely nothing to the discussion*.
Jesus Christ, guys. If all you're going to do is come into this topic and say that the OP should move on from BGT, don't enter the damn topic. If someone asked "What technologies they should use and listed BGT as a possible choice, this response would be appropriate. But it's clear the game is already written in BGT, and the OP expressed no interest in switching, so stop trying to force them. I don't know what you're trying to accomplish, but all you're actually doing is pissing off everyone and making the developers room into a toxic place.
I have an incredible amount of respect for people like prince18, who just answer the question if they know, and don't try complain about the technologies or say "You could do this, but I won't tell you how, because fuck you".

Editing to add an analogy:
Person 1: "How do I make ramen in the microwave?"
Person 2: "I've never used a microwave, just heard things about them, but it's probably super complicated because microwaves suck and you should use a stove."
Person 3: "Actually you're wrong, it can be done in a microwave. However, microwaves do suck, so even though I joined this conversation to tell you that you can, I won't tell you how."
Completely unproductive and not useful. This is why I've generally stopped reading the developers room. Every single time, without fail, there's a BGT topic with these same patterns repeating. It's almost becoming like flaming in political topics. We're all tired of it. Stop.

2024-02-23 00:31:19

Yeah, my annoyance was with the "I won't tell you how, because you should move on from BGT..." idea. Seriously, why bother posting then? It's not constructive, it's absolutely not helpful, and it's a waste of time to read. Good for you, you know how to do it. Isn't the entire point of this forum to share knowledge and learn from the experiences of others, not make it a superiority complex?

2024-02-23 01:24:29

Patrick wrote:

Yeah, my annoyance was with the "I won't tell you how, because you should move on from BGT..." idea. Seriously, why bother posting then? It's not constructive, it's absolutely not helpful, and it's a waste of time to read. Good for you, you know how to do it. Isn't the entire point of this forum to share knowledge and learn from the experiences of others, not make it a superiority complex?

Seriously dude. I'm beginning to think that shit like this should fall under thread hijacking. I also have to wonder why these people still bother. Camlorn, Ethin, all the people who I see engaging in it are definitely intelligent enough to realize they're beating a dead horse, so I wonder what the point is? Is your goal to get people off BGT? If so, has it ever worked? Has replying to a BGT question with "Stop using BGT" ever made anyone switch away from BGT to another tool and be happy about it? I'd think not, and if it's happened, I'm willing to wager it's pretty rare. In fact, I'd think it would have the opposite effect. "Oh jeez, this is how people reply when I ask something that seems simple to me? Well fuck programming then, I'll find something to do that won't make me hate society."
Remember, not everyone has the knowledge you do. Not everyone wants to write their games using 57 libraries from 29 different sources and 5 programming languages. Many people just want a game. Why not let them have it, and let them switch  away from BGT only when they finally get fed up with it, if they ever do?

2024-02-23 04:55:50

LOL, I gave up on this dev room as a source of reliable information a long time ago, let alone asking a question myself. Because the pattern is always the same: people hijack the question by telling you what not to do instead of what to do, asking you to not use the technology you are asking about because they know so much better than everyone else (and not just in tech), and never missing a chance to flaunt their credentials, whether it's a computer science degree or a senior software engineering position. Yeah, no thanks, I think I'll just "google it", which I'm sure you're happy to hear since that was this group's favorite mantra for a while, if I remember correctly. And no, I don't buy the "more experience in life means more knowledge" argument. As valid as it may be, humility is a thing. There are ways to approach things. Honestly, I am someone who is currently pursuing a computer science degree and wishes to become a software engineer and possibly a senior one one day big_smile though I know I can never reach the level of our current resident expert, and honestly, I'm fine with that. Because I dread ever, ever having these qualities and attitudes towards people, especially those who may not have as much experience and need help. Literally, if this is how some people turn out when becoming coders, I want no part of it. I am someone who likes to help out wherever possible, whatever is within my capacity I try to do. Bringing smiles of satisfaction on people's faces brings me satisfaction for myself. This is partly why I started building software in the first place. If this is the cost, then there is no point for me anyway. So yeah, I am very cautious of this stuff. If I ever turn into one of these people in like 10 years, then I hope I get shut down and told off for that and quit frequenting any forums of this nature, and do my own thing. Because clearly, helping the community out at large in a constructive fashion is not something I can do.

Abay chal.

2024-02-23 07:01:56

Setup your backend with something that bgt can understand and have your backend do the job. BGT doesn't handle XML or JSON by default but the good news is you don't have to use those even though it's the norm. WHen you learn about programming you will understand that Your backend is or should always be responsible for handling the services (in your case the password reset stuff) and your bgt as the client should only get an OK or an error when your backend has done the thing and optionally the password that it was reset to, if you don't wanna use email.

hth.

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2024-03-01 04:40:04

If BGT supports use of the run function under wine, it becomes much simpler by calling external APIs with curl.
If JSON is needed, you can implement JSON parsers manually, make a valid request in advance and filling missing informations with string joins, or you could wrap a JSON parsing library in custom DLL. Though I would prefer the second method if all you need is a single API call.
If BGT doesn't support run under wine, you can wrap libcurl.dll in your server program or more effectively, setup an HTTP endpoint that BGT programs can connect and call external APIs indirectly threw that endpoint.
Hope this helps.

2024-03-01 05:02:16

Right so, now that this topic is back at  the top again, here's my 2 cents.

I find myself agreeing with both Camlorn and Quin at the same time. I absolutely think that people should stop using BGT. But at the same time, coming on here and telling people not to use it is one gigantic waste of both your time/energy and theirs.

So, here's what you do. Someone comes on here, makes a BGT topic. Just ignore the topic. Don't even click on it. Scroll right on past it, and it'll eventually sink to the bottom of the page and out of sight.

There is a saying I heard somewhere. Tell the internet not to do something, and they will happily do it anyway. If you tell someone not to do something, you're making them want to do it even more. If you say nothing and ignore their topic, they'll get frustrated and eventually move on. It's really that simple.

Yeah, I get it. It's hard. I slip sometimes myself. But it really does work.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2024-03-01 13:02:29

Yeah accept what Camlorn and crew does not a one-time occurrence. Also no I don't think just flat-out ignoring is the solution. How would you know if this "People get frustrated and move on" doesn't mean move on from programming entirely because their interest and motivation has died off after lack of support from the community? Some prefer to learn from experience. If they want to pick up BGT and possibly regret their choices later on their own terms, then so be it. I would go for the gentle nudge plus help approach. If you have something actually productive to say that would add to the discussion at hand, like if you have knowledge about the BGT question in this case, then contribute, and then gently warn them by saying hey, just so you know, it's not a very good idea to use BGT nowadays and here's why. But if you come in here just to say don't use this, or google it, and don't really add anything else to the discussion at hand then yeah I agree by all means please ignore and skip past the topic because you resisting your temptation will save everyone a whole lot of frustration and annoyance, particularly the OP I'm guessing.
And No, I don't buy the "but oh mah gooood I covered this so many times before so now I won't bother now but drop one very unhelpful sentence without context and you can google or search the forum for the rest" argument, for reasons that have been discussed above and many times before, E.g. the user being new to the forum.
Even if that is all you have to say, keep it to a minimum for exceptional cases where you think it absolutely urgently 100% has to be said, not over and over and over, and phrase it in a way where it doesn't sound arrogant and superior and honestly dickish;because it is already by nature going to be 80%unproductive to the discussion at hand then you add 18.85% more to that or something with this behavior. Which is the case in this room most of the times.

Abay chal.

2024-03-02 13:37:49 (edited by Farhad Ali Bhatti 2024-03-02 13:39:07)

momo7807, prince18 and camlorn
thanks for the positive answers.

2024-03-14 16:20:58

What I used to do back when I used BGT was a code system.
When you create an account, you were assigned a recovery code that was hashed. You would be asked to store said code in a secure place. The code consisted of letters, numbers, and special characters.
If you forgot the password, you would then be required to enter said recovery code. If you got it correct, you could create a new password. Otherwise you would have to talk to a member of staff. Staff did not have access to recovery codes, as that was the player's job, but they could reset your password to a temporary one, which you would change on your own. For instance, it may be reset to something like password, or changeme.
Before you go, this is good, there are major drawbacks to this system.
1. The big one is security. "What do you mean, you said the code was hashed." Yes, but here is the problem. Someone gets a hold of that code, and boom. Instant access to everything on that account.
2. Limited verification. You could ask to make sure the e-mail on the account matches the e-mail the person is providing, but it's yet another flaw. If the person knows your e-mail, there's a higher chance of that player gaining access.
3. It falls all on you. There is no external verification involved. You could put yourself behind a wall and say, "I'm not responsible if your code gets leaked." But that wall can be easily broken, because in a way, you are responsible for making a system that allowed such casualties to happen, probably on a very frequent basis.

A better system is to send a verification code to an e-mail, like others recommended in this post. If someone gains the code, that's not necessarily your fault. That's on the user for choosing such a weak password on their account, e-mail account, or both. That's out of your control. You've done your job by sending them a verification code. They receive it, they enter it, bada bing bada boom.
Also, in full agreement with Quin here. You either help, or shut up and continue drinking your beverage or eating your snack, or whatever you are doing.

-----
YouTube
GitHub
Discord: @tunmi13#1880

2024-03-14 16:49:16

JoWier wrote:

How would you know if this "People get frustrated and move on" doesn't mean move on from programming entirely because their interest and motivation has died off after lack of support from the community?

Most people who start learning BGT nowadays never switch to anything better, because there's no incentive to switch, because people still give them support with it. In that case, if they weren't gonna make anything outside of BGT anyway, maybe moving on from programming because people actively refuse to help them with anything BGT related is for the best. If you provide incentive by helping them with a mainstream programming language and not with BGT, and they want to make something bad enough, they'll do it. There are people who have expressed that they will actively avoid any future games created in BGT anyway, (myself included), and if you know people are going to avoid your game, then why write it in BGT? There's more incentive not to use it.

Like I said, shunning them isn't the best course of action at all, but continuing to provide support for a dead language isn't helping anything either.

TWITCH

2024-04-11 23:34:24

You know, the developers room constant response of fuck you, I know how to do something in bgt but I won't tell you how, is the reason why I made bgtGPT  in the first place. Then openAI broke custom BGT's and heavily limited their base knowledge a little bit and it nose dove into the ground, so I just stopped updating it and fixing it. But if people keep acting like this i very well might just, recreate it.

2024-04-12 14:30:40

People should note that some, myself included, only use BGT for personal or entertainment purposes. Since no one wants to play BGT games anymore and Windows flags it as a virus, they would not release the games to the public. This is why I stopped asking about BGT things here; it is a waste of time for everyone involved.
@17, please do. I wanna mess with it lmao.

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2024-04-13 02:50:59

Yeah, except not a lot of people complain about excluding Manamon which is made in BGT, or Crazy Party back when it was in BGT. There were not many frequent complaints about STW being in BGT, almost no one had problems excluding that either.

-----
YouTube
GitHub
Discord: @tunmi13#1880

2024-04-13 10:03:19

Didn’t know Crazy Party wasn’t made in BGT anymore; when did the switch happen?

TWITCH

2024-04-13 16:05:06

Since beta 79, which wasn’t public. First beta where people noticed the switch was 81.