2024-02-18 18:29:41

mainly trying to target openAL soft but the ones that always appear in the web are... Bugged? I don't know, but each time I try to use them I get an error that tells me they do not exist even though they have been added, or are from 2012 or something, I can make a binding, but better not invent the wheel if something exists, other libraries are fine too, as long as they have hrtf and are cross platform. Effects are a bonus but not necessary.
I used to have synthizer as the absolute go to library but considering that the author of the library considers it buggy, and it being out of support and possiblly with bugs, not sure what is and what is just me, I don't use it.
I saw soloud as an option, but it doesn't have hrtf unfortunately.
FMOD too but FMOD I heard, though I am not totally sure, but it seems that what makes FMOD so special is inaccessible to us because of FMOD studio.
someone would probably come say steam audio and my answer is uh... I'm not a samtupy, not yet, that thing makes my head so confused

2024-02-19 02:46:20

Hey there. Go for bass nuget ManagedBass or for fmod. It has official bindings and should be friendly to steamaudio. You do not need to use fmod studio.

2024-02-19 22:30:00

Using steam audio requires either one of it's supported integrations or using it manually. Both aren't exactly ultra easy.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2024-02-20 10:49:44 (edited by mohamed 2024-02-20 10:56:48)

Yeah, For one I'm no expert on messing with samples and last I checked it requires a lot of send this here take that there and integrate something with this and that so I have no idea, I specifically said no steamaudio for that exact reason, sure it might be nice, but I'm not yet a samtupy, or a sky lord, I suppose.
I want something that works out of the box and has a binding. Having only one audio format is fine, I can deal with decoding one way or another, but I want something that has hrtf and has a working binding for cs.
About fmod does it have hrtf by default?
I'm all up if you can give me something that already works/an example of playing audio using bass/fmod and steamaudio, but considering the tention with code sharing in this community I doubt it's happening so shrugs.

2024-02-20 11:06:23

No, FMOD doesn't support HRTF out of the box. SteamAudio is one way to get it though. But you could also use Google's VR Audio plugin, which FMOD ships with. The problem is that loading it with FMOD's plugin API is easy enough but the documentation on using it from the core API is pretty much nonexistent, unlike using SteamAudio. So if you wanted to use that, you'd need to write apps to figure out it's parameters and such.

If you don't want to use FMOD, you could try OpenAL -- I've no doubt it has CS bindings, so you'd just need to figure out how to enable HRTF.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2024-02-20 11:24:29

@4, I'm not sam tupy either. But with some perseverance you can do steamaudio. Openal is an option for hrtf certainly. It has bindings and you can use them.

2024-02-20 13:22:20 (edited by mohamed 2024-02-20 13:50:11)

oh wow. Went in discord server and I realized why openAL wasn't working. Apparently you have a package that puts in just the native libraries and I was trying to import that. Don't laugh, I didn't even know that was a thing.
edit, Apparently it uses unsafe, which I am not sure if I want to be dealing with that hevyly.