2024-01-28 11:40:41

I personally think so, but I figured it would be good for someone to start a poll. I guess my name is someone now. big_smile It's been talked about before, but I think it would help the admins come to a decision easier if there were solid votes.

In light of recent forum events regarding political topics, I thought it'd be a good idea to suggest the admins revisit this issue. The admins asked a forum user not to bring up political discussions anymore, and I was thinking to myself, "Well if one person can't do it, mightn't they as well just tell everyone not to do it? It only ever causes problems anyway, or at least most of the time."

After that, I started thinking about the main Off-Topic room itself. I was gonna say that most problems on this forum stem from the Off-Topic room, but I checked the Public Discipline sticky topic and realized that assumption was completely unfounded. Nevertheless, I think it contributes to the issues here to some extent at least.

We're a gaming community, and there's plenty of places to go to for off-topic discussions. I left this forum for a while because of off-topic disagreements, and I came back to stay up-to-date on information surrounding a new Mac screen reader in development. I shouldn't be coming to a gaming community for status updates for a screen reader, and I shouldn't be leaving because of disagreements I had with someone on a topic that has nothing to do with gaming. Someone also mentioned that it looks like developers have been leaving this forum in droves because of all the drama going on, mainly in the off-topic room. Even if that's not strictly true, it's not exactly helping.

I think the best course of action would be to close down the Off-Topic room, rename it to Off-Topic Room Archive, write a sticky topic with resources where people can chat about some of the things discussed in that category, move it down to the bottom of the category page, and let it quietly fade into obscurity. I'll even help compile a resource list if you guys want.

The Off-Topic room has almost as many topics as General Game Discussion and far more posts. I think we've gone a bit too far off-topic. Let's get back to talking about the games, gamers, and developers again.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2024-01-28 12:11:34

I voted to leave things as is. The trick here is that no conversations or topics are compulsory. Don't like a topic, don't contribute to or read it. The solution is as simple as that. Just because a post exists, doesn't mean you need to read it, respond to it, be worked up about it, or even acknowledge that it exists.
This FOMO (fear of missing out) mentality that so many of the forum members is perpetuating is what really baffles me. It drives people to get entangled in things that they needn't have been in the first place. You don't have to put your two cents in everywhere, and it's important to remember that the words and opinions of strangers on the internet are as plentiful and as important as the specs of dust that gather on your grade school excellence award.
At the end of the day, you don't have to feed the troll living under that bridge you're crossing.

Spill chuck you spots!

2024-01-28 12:22:36

Oh that's funny. I just posted in the other topic about being interested in a new poll, but thinking that some time had to pass so that the newest topic isn't influencing the results too much. But a poll is already here. smile

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2024-01-28 13:13:37

Closing the off topic room is IMO not the way to go, there are alot of useful topics and answers in there and not everything goes up in flames over there.
Ban political discussion, true, we can discuss that, but closing it completely isn't the route I would venture on.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2024-01-28 14:07:07

i agree with @4. I also wonder why in all hell was that drama topic reopened?

2024-01-28 14:13:38

sightlessHorseman wrote:

Closing the off topic room is IMO not the way to go, there are alot of useful topics and answers in there and not everything goes up in flames over there.

Well sure, but that's why I suggested that it be closed, not deleted entirely. You can use the Open Sound dialogue box in Goldwave as a file explorer, and it works fine. Doesn't necessarily mean you should do it. At the end of the day, this is supposed to be a gaming forum.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2024-01-28 14:14:43

In my opinion. It has nothing to do with the topics that are in off topics room. If people are not interested in a topic I think they shouldn't open it , such as politics or whatever. Just press H key and that's it

2024-01-28 15:11:54

The only viable option I could find was to do nothing. I didn't want to use that option, I think that the off topic forum would benefit from rooms within rooms. How about subdividing it into a political room, a religious room, a computer room, a general room etc. That way, people would have to go to that specific room to post about their topic of choice. People will have no excuse to be toxic because they'll know full well what they're getting into when going into a room. People won't then be allowed to say that certain subjects must be banned because they all have their individual places/spaces. I would even go as far as to make it possible for people to block rooms that they don't want to go in to; let such an option be profile specific. Doing it that way will give people the freedom to talk about what so ever they wish to while other forum users don't have to be subjected to other people's blather if they don't want to be. I'm sure that some of you don't want to read my blather when it comes to certain topics and that's fine. That's why I suggest such a feature. I don't know why people don't use their common sense or allow people to use it... It's madness to not give the power to the people. It's our forum, let us do things our way and the one way we can do that is to give the people who post on the forum the power to tailor their own individual experiences on here. Don't want religious topics, let users block them. Don't want political topics, let users block them. Want to start a following whereby people must follow the man on the moon? The religious room will suffice for that. Don't want to follow or read about the man on the moon? Block it and you'll never see it again unless you go into your profile and unblock the topic and or room from your block list. Personally, I really don't see the problem here. Maybe someone here can explain it to me. Am I missing the point here? Am I misunderstanding the point of the pole and thread? If so then I apologise.

2024-01-28 15:29:51

@8 What you want requires people to be able to code in that extra feature that I highly doubt that the current moderation team has the ability to do.

End of Post!
Leos signing off.
CFN ID: LeosKhai. (Always looking to fight people)
Discord: leos_khai

2024-01-28 16:12:54

8. Don't forget that the website name is audiogame.net. So that would change the purpose. The off topic room is there so people speak about something that is not related to games. But if we make 50 off topic  rooms. I think then we should rename the website from audio game to something else

2024-01-28 16:39:18

I also need to say that religion related discussions should be banned. They're not as common as politics but we all know how crazy those go. Yes, you don't have to read them, I ignore them personally, and no, I don't care if I'm missing on posts or anything. In fact I'm really prowd that I don't enter those kinds of things, but it can lead to needless hate between forum members, like I can't exactly tell where, but I remember a phew cases where someone yelled at another in a topic where it isn't related and it appeared that happened because x closed topic contained a very heated discussion between the 2, so it's really unnecessary if you want anything close to a healthy community if you ask me. I'll also say nsfw topics but from what I've scene people think the idea of closing those is ridiculous. So shrugs I guess. Not as crazy as the rest so I guess.

2024-01-28 16:40:33

That's true. Should we then just stick to reddit or some other forum to vent politically, religiously or in some other way? Sure we could also create forums of our own and that will give us the freedom to moderate how we want to without stepping on the moderators' toes here. There must be some way of making their jobs easier while getting what we want. I did state in my moderator application that there is no way to enforce the forum rules fairly and I think we've just seen proof of that. Using punitive might, however gently, will still piss off the ones being punished. There must be some other way of tackling this but how to go about it? We wouldn't have this problem if people couldn't feel the negative emotions such as anger, hate, greed, jealousy etc but unfortunately, we do. We also don't like being told what to do, how to do it and we certainly hate being punished for what we do because we don't like to suffer. Is there a viable solution to this problem?

2024-01-28 18:40:32

The Off-Topic room is not a bad thing. As long as we're having good mature discussions, it should be fine.
I've gotten help from people in that room, and I've tried to help people whenever I can as well.
Realize that no matter what decision the staff team makes about the room, you won't please everyone, and it would probably increase toxicity rather than stop it.

2024-01-28 20:11:39

Political and religious discussions need to go. Clearly, folks cannot handle these discussions.

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27

2024-01-28 20:50:52

The monkey's paw of polls again, the last one had extra stuff attached to the pro politics option that basically rendered it useless.
Ban political discussion? Yes/No. Simple af.
Unfortunately, we're probably gonna have to go for another ride on this shitty Merry-Go-Round before we get to *just* that without any extraneous garbage thrown into the mix.

Also also

heading    level 2  Voting
heading    level 2  Should the Off-Topic Room be Closed??
grouping    Vote options
radio button  not checked 
radio button  not checked    Only Ban Political Discussions
radio button  not checked    Do Nothing

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2024-01-28 20:57:03

The problem with developers leaving is real. It used to be that the forum was the one stop shop for learning about new games and asking questions about them. Now, things have fragmented and some new games aren't even announced here.

I wonder if closing the off topic room completely might not be a good thing. Possibly if someone is up for a bit of masochism, a new forum for general discussion could be created, and a link provided from here until it is well established. Because, while helping people set up their Linux box, or find the perfect accessible toaster oven is awesome, it's not game related.

I also think it would be a great idea to allow people to post a "read only" topic. This means that developers could announce a new game, and if they really don't care about feedback, that would be the end of it.

I have also seen some posts from people who are really helpful and knowledgeable, then they get banned for posts that are... wel, not helpful. Maybe the ability to put those people on a system where each post has to be approved might be a better solution. This way, the helpful stuff can get through and the other stuff could just be deleted without causing a 50 page flame war. This would likely require more moderators at first to sort through messages from people on that list, but I think it would settle down after a while.

My games: https://stormgames.wolfe.casa
Support my work on Ko-fi

2024-01-28 21:18:02

I don't believe closing the off topic room is the right answer. I mean, most off topic things are in 99% of cases, from what i've seen, civil and normal. Its just when politicks gets into it that people seem to lose their shit, but things that are off topic shouldn't be closed, provided that its a civil discussion.

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

2024-01-28 21:45:55

the off topic room should not be closed because the off topic room is not the issue. Really, this forum's worst excesses are pretty tame comparted to what I see on other forums such as reddit. This is the Internet, folks. If you only want to see things that you like, then you have to curate the places you visit to only include places where speech is strictly controlled so that that stuff can't get in. You could have a stronger-minded person check the audiogames.net forum for you, if you feel too disturbed by the content on it, and then they could curate their report on any new developments for you. As an alternative you could accept that life won't always give you what you want. It can't, because everyone wants something different, so it would be logically impossible to give everyone what they want.

@6 for the longest time I used goldWave's auto preview feature as my media audition feature of choice because I didn't want to learn reaper. I think that's completely fine. You implied that people who do use it are somehow inferior to those who don't.

@14 you're right that people can't handle the discussions, but prohibiting the discussions is not the answer. People need to grow up instead so they can talk civily about people and beliefs that are different from them. There was a time, it was only 30 or 40 years ago, when people could actually do that a lot of the time in the US. After the US was infected by this virus, and I call it a virus because it seems to spread like wildfire through the media to perfectly reasonable people who then infect others in close proximity nearby, social media and other consumerist companies realized that this was a great way to make more money and so they infected all of the first world with it. But we can be better. We can choose to ask questions that provoke thoughtful and respectful discussion. We can stop being scared little kids. We can have the nice things. But we have to give a little to get a little. And closing down the discussions completely shuts that off from happening.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2024-01-28 22:08:50

@16 but isn't this also the case in the mainstream world that you don't have giant place? I don't know if it's related to drama since the idea of having one place for everything i have never seen before.

2024-01-28 22:15:44

Closing the off topic room is a ridiculous idea. If the administration gets to a point where they really don't want to handle off topic discussions anymore, which should be the only reason why it would ever be closed, they should just hire more. The fact is, places like r/blind are great but the off topic room is genuinely one of the biggest places on the internet for blind people to solicit opinions from other blind people. Plenty of other forums have off topic areas and in fact I believe that's the norm. It would be really stupid and shortsighted to shoot that in the head because of political topics that get out of hand when winy people with no impulse control click on them.

2024-01-28 22:17:53 (edited by Exodus 2024-01-28 22:22:17)

If it were me, I'd do the following:
Create a new board called the Thunderdome.
Insure the Thunderdome is viewable only by those logged in, killing search engine indexing at the same time.
By default, hide the Thunderdome from users unless they go into their account settings and opt into viewing it.
Upon opting in, warn users that the Thunderdome is less moderated part of the website. They may experience ideas, politics or language that they do not agree with or find offensive and to switch this board off if it is something they find uncomfortable.
Create barebone rules for the Thunderdome, such as no death threats or malware and let the occupants of the Thunderdome have at it.
If someone insists on posting their Facebook tier political sperging in more curated parts of the site, they get their thread moved to Thunderdome, warned (A SINGLE TIME!) and automatically opted in.
This can also be used for such things as personal attacks and the like, because the current rules are completely missing a category of users that slowly piss off someone or a group of people by hiding their digs within flowery pros or word salads that will go crying to mama the second they get the blowback they've earned.
If they can't deal with the fact that you've given them a place to be that fire spitting, virtuous force of change in and they keep stinking up the joint? Boot them out because they do not have a single bit of respect for the community and they will drive it into the ground as long as they get to keep using it as their soapbox.
I've been a part of a good few online communities over the years and only the ones that implemented containment measures like this are still around, the rest died do to the usual political garbage and infighting caused by said garbage.
This also allows your forum to be both a place of escape from a world where even your fucking ice cream is political and a place for people to really cut loose if they wish to do so.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2024-01-28 22:20:05

I think this is a good idea tbh.

2024-01-29 00:41:43

This is just my personal opinion, but I think every internet forum should have at least one Off-topic subforum if not an entire category of off topic subforums. I like being able to talk with people I have a common interest with on subjects other than that common interest and sometimes, it's the off-topic sections that keep a community together as some members lose interest in the forum's subject of focus. At least one forum I use to frequent became like a ghost town at least in part due to the administration deciding to close their off topic sections(Though, admitedly, it didn't help that they created a companion discord server and many of that forum's younger members jumped ship from the forum to its associated discord server).

As for politics and religion, while I agree these often get out of hand, and especially when the subject turns to one of the issues the US has become polarized on to the point any attempt to have a nuanced opinion or discuss the issue gets buried in a constant back and forth of canned talking points from the two sides of the false dichotomy, I feel like an outright ban on politics or religion takes out a lot of interesting discussion along with the flamewars... and I've experienced this first hand on other forums that have banned such discussions... I'd be reading an interesting, thought provoking topic where everyone is being civil and disagreements are less 'Your dumb!" and more "have you considered?", be thinking about what I'd like to add to the discussion, but then the last post before getting to the post reply button is a moderator pre-emptively closing the thread because the discussion is getting too close to politics.

I don't know what a good solution sounds like, and just hire more mods probably isn't viable if there aren't that many respected members volunteering, but banning politics and/or religion is a sledgehammer to a problem that needs a set of chisels, and shutting down the off-topic section is the metaphorical nuke.

2024-01-29 02:00:54

no it should not be removed. as many others have said,  if you don't like the off topic room or any of the post's, just don't look at them. simple is that

my contact info
skype is KLProductions
discord is kl productions

2024-01-29 02:54:02

I don't really have anything against the off topic room, I've posted there on several occasions. I just wish this forum to be the one stop shop for games again.

It would be nice to interact with some of the developers and know your feedback and questions are being read by the developer. For example, Crazy Party, Swamp, etc. I guess with discord, some fragmentation is to be expected though.

Of course, now that I think about it, I doubt the off topic room has much to do with developers not monitoring the forum, probably more to do with the attacks that start in the game's topic. Probably the fragmentation of information will only get worse going forward.

My games: https://stormgames.wolfe.casa
Support my work on Ko-fi