2024-01-18 06:52:44

Yeah...no. Just no.  "there aren't communities in other languages therefore let's turn this into one and also everyone can take on the responsibility of translating themselves if they need to?"  That doesn't solve problems, it just makes more.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2024-01-18 20:08:29

This is just an ill-conceived notion from the first.

The main issue with other languages is that while translation is getting better every year, it's still not perfect. Also, as someone who speaks three languages at least well enough to understand some subtlety and nuance (I'm not a pro at either French or Spanish but I took both through high school, and it wouldn't take long to polish off the rust) I know well enough that idioms, in particular, don't translate well. Basically it just introduces a lot of room for misunderstanding, whilst opening up the freedom to converse in any language of the speaker's choosing. That's...an awfully tall order for an admin team that can barely keep its shit together at the best of times.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2024-01-18 21:28:02

Translators are bad when people writing non-English posts have to use them, but they're "Really good" when I have to. This logic doesn't check out. The current rules are fine... English should stay.

Dan Gero wrote:

Sorry if this comes across as blunt. I promise I'm not angry; I'm just a little tired right now and can't think of a better way to articulate this.

There's a good many of us who speak more than one language on the forum, and I feel it's a little unfair to have a rule against speaking languages other than English just because the staff only speak English. I think it would be good to allow others to speak in their native or secondary language if that's what they feel comfortable doing. After all, we have many AI-based translators nowadays that do a fantastic job of not just getting the message across, but making it sound almost if not perfectly understandable.

One has to consider the fact that many people who aren't native English speakers use translators that don't do a very good job of providing an understandable translation. It would be great if I could just put their native language through as many different translators as I would like so that I'd have a better chance of understanding them.

Now for those who want to learn English, yes, it makes perfect sense. But there are people who'd rather use their own preferred language to talk. If they don't want to speak English, why should they have to? I'm a native English speaker myself, but in case I haven't made it clear here, I'd eventually like to transition away from using it as my primary form of communication. If I continue using English on this forum, I want it to be because I WANT to, not because I HAVE to.

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2024-01-18 21:58:15

@28 That's actually not at all what I said; not even close. But sure.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2024-01-19 00:50:31

@29
Whether you meant to say it or not, that is kind of what you're saying here.  You think you can do a better job translating their posts than they can, which either implies you think you know of better translators, or that you think we should all put in whatever work you'd be planning to put in.  It's one or the other, and given that you probably understand that no we aren't all going to go run things through a bunch of translators, of course we are all going to assume the first.

My Blog

2024-01-19 00:57:29

What I said is that translators aren't perfect. Someone might use one and the resulting translation is hard to understand. If I had the option of using multiple or if someone speaks the language in question, boom, problem solved.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2024-01-19 11:13:29

Oh no, even though I am very much in favor of using my own language whenever possible, such a system would be a mess to read, contribute to and moderate. Very much against!!! If a given language community is big enough, they will host their own forum.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2024-01-19 20:22:36

@31
Either we all have to translate posts to participate, or you have succeeded only in fragmenting the community by language, or everyone ignores you and just uses English.

You really should think about this more, because there's tons of obvious problems.  There's a reason that, rules or otherwise, most games and sighted communities and whatever end up on one language.  It's not a blindness phenomenon or something.  It sucks that there aren't tons of communities for, idk, Spanish or something.  But this doesn't solve it.  It just fragments this one.

My Blog

2024-01-20 00:49:15

@32 that's the point. Since translations are not perfect, it would requires everyone often passing the posts through multiple translators; as many of you out there, I don't want to waste my time doing it, or at least if the forum don't have the facilitie of specifying via a combo box in which language a given user is posting and, related to it, a preference to check in which languages we can read posts. Indeed, if rules depended on me, I would forbid posts written into English with automatic translation; generalize that practice of posting translating by machine entirely not only lacks of courtesy to the rest of the world, but makes understanding posts harder than a poor but human-writen English.
When you say that having people that speak different languages would solve the problem you are being too idealistic. If it is hard to get moderators for English, a language which so many people speak/write with various proficiency but in fact is understandable for many of us, imagine that battle of moderator getting for other languages which, since spoken/written (even with low proficiency) in less countries than English is, there are much less people wanting to take that role or maintaining it for a relatively long time.

Sorry for my bad English. I'm from Argentina and my level speaking this language is low.