2024-01-03 09:52:03

I know those questions were asked somewhere but I don't know if they include the specifics of what I'm asking.
So this cemester I've decided to move to cs, which is all fine and good, but I've got a phew concerns that even the university raised.
with things like calculus and phisics, how would I exactly deal with the visuals? I'm sure there's a way but how?
and since my math experience is... Lacking I need to push hard this cemester since I delayed calculus to the next one and kept phisics for this one instead, along with data structures and programming, so I need to know prealgebra, algebra 1 and 2, and precalculus? Am I missing something else?

2024-01-03 12:17:09

What kind of physics? I’m assuming mechanics? If so, you would probably need to know some basic geometry and/or how to figure out how to use trig functions. not just how to plug-in values, but when are they appropriate and when you should reach for something else.
You would have to be a little bit more specific concerning calculus. You shouldn’t need visuals, and when you do, they can easily be substituted for a mathematical function. I think the tricky part is going to be volumes of solids by revolution, if you cover that, but everything else should be fine. Everything can be done analytically, you might just need to do a little bit more algebra than your sighted counterparts, at least at first. with all that being said, you need a Strawn understanding of algebra. That’s like 75% of calculus. The actual stuff you learn is not bad. People fail because they don’t know, say, exponent rules. I would recommend using open stacks to brush up on that, coincidently they also have physics textbooks.

2024-01-03 15:22:06

The classes you listed sound like what you need to know. College algebra, as well, unless it goes by another name. Might also need to take statistics (I did but I was just needed to take another math class). Also discrete mathematics, though that theoretically shouldn't be too difficult.
As for the graphics and such, yes, that's going to be an issue. Hawkes Learning has some online alternative courses you could be enrolled into by your professor that are accessible, and of course there's always OpenStax. I forget what I used to take calculus though

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2024-01-03 17:21:36

Is this the U.S.? How much help can you rely on from the college?

I'm sort of guessing it's not because I'm not aware of a U.S. college that'd let you skip 4 classes and accidentally end up in calculus, but...

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2024-01-03 18:28:51

Yes. From your first post, it sounds like you don’t have credits for a lot of that stuff, so I actually wouldn’t advise taking calculus your next semester. Maybe next year, but certainly not before you fill out a lot of your gaps. I’m a good self learner, but even I would struggle to learn more than a course’s worth during a semester. Especially when I’m doing it as a side project.

2024-01-03 18:30:19

I recommend you get a good grasp of some basic visual concepts. Like what does a Sine function look like. Random example, I know. But I'm short on time in writing this.
Really you should have a good grasp of Algebra, Geometry, even Precalculus if that was offered at some point.
For Physics, you could rely on theory and equations. But sometimes it is better to have some kind of tactile aids to help with understanding shape of something, directionality, etc. That you might have to spend time with professors during office hours or something.
You won't need to have tactile/visual aids all the time. Just at the beginning if you don't already have those basics down. Then most of Calculus can be passed by relying on equations, patterns, etc. Better that you know how to mentalize certain things though, like slopes, etc.

2024-01-03 19:27:02

Not US, But the colidge staff is really really helpful, so if something involves me setting up something with them that'll probably work unless if it was something impossible, dunno.
@4
What do you mean skip 4 classes and end up in calculus? To be clear I'm sort of a newb on university rules for picking up stuff and deciding not to/etc so I don't understand what is and what is not.

2024-01-03 19:36:45

@7
In U.S. universities you must take prerequisite classes before you can take a class.  This isn't optional even for the sighted--you either have the prereqs or are not permitted to sign up.

I would not be able to pass a calculus class given one semester and all of the topics you say you don't know.  You also did miss trigonometry on that list.   I'm not sure I could even self-teach all of those in the first place.

If you were at a U.S. school or university you'd not be able to take calculus for at least 2 years, and every single thing listed here is a class all its own.  While that perhaps seems like bullshit, it isn't.  And I'm not being blind specific either.  Sighted people couldn't do it unless they're math geniuses.  If you don't know those topics and only have a few months you're screwed unless you're way smarter than I think you are, as in at the "goes off and wins prizes" level.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2024-01-03 19:48:31

@8
That's quite interesting, I probably need to clarify things with them next time I go then, because that sounds like something that is a mistake to be ignarent about.

2024-01-03 22:41:35

most of the subject you mentioned i studied through out middle to hie school and apart on my first year at the university, you say you mised them? well i would've never bin abel to get to the university if i did not know what  a cosine  function is, let alone a sine function, most of topic related to gemoetry, trigonometry, calculus and some advanst calculus  are required inorder to pass, or for you to be even considered for cs brench
self teeching all of those year of math is extreemly hard, and good luck with that, especially for some of the concepts that you require  a sighted person that actually knows them inorder for you to receive the complete pictures, i can'  begin to tell you how many hours i've spent in math practice, opening and solving this and that.
the only subject i did not take during hie school and was only introduced in the first year of university was algebra, although i've bin  introduced algebra in hie school, it wasn't mearly enough since  afterwords in the second  semester we directly jumped to linear algebra, lets just say i had to do more work in my part inorder to get past it
this year is a bit of a  roller coaster since the intire cs curriculum was switched to english after it was in french, whcih introduced a challenge having studied all of the math concepts  in french.

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw