2023-06-27 23:58:26

Moderation:
I've removed the offending link. To be honest, context is key here and I do not see a reason to give a warning. The original poster is, themselves, warning about a piracy website, not encouraging it.
For the record, I did not know about the site mentioned, so honestly thanks for the heads up.

Thumbs up

2023-06-27 23:59:04 (edited by flackers 2023-06-28 00:04:06)

Don't get me wrong, I get why they don't want this place to become awash with links to pirated stuff because it's just not a good look, but banning links to file sharing sites can't have anything to do with legality. Every well-known file sharing site has a wiki page with links to said sites so it can't be illegal otherwise wikipedia and tons of news websites would be breaking the law. Linking to the content itself is probably a different story. I expect that's illegal.

Thumbs up

2023-06-28 01:24:50 (edited by rings2006 2023-06-28 01:40:34)

oh yeah, exactly, to be fair, this site is just for piracy, but so is blindhelp, and they shouldn't be treeted difrently, though i'm not saying to ban youtube because it has piracy stuff, what i'm saying is to ban piracy focused websites, all of them, and, i'm not even saying this because the website is evil and i hate it, i would absolutely use it, i'm just saying this to point out the hypocrisy of the moderation team, and how if they do something for one piracy site, they should do it for all of them, oh and considering the rules are to make sure no one trys to take down the site because of stolen or elagle content, crazy party uses stolen sounds, should probably ban that, and i know how much you all love your crazy party, but still

i am a system, i have headmates, and that is my life, and my discord is rings2006wilson#8609

Thumbs up

2023-06-28 01:42:04

This was dumb, you should have done this privately. I don't care if you think it's hypocritical, you still did this totally wrong IMO.

Thumbs up

2023-06-28 01:49:11

truethfully i dont care, just wanted to point out that if the moderation team is gonna do something about one source that can get them shut down do to legal things, they should do something about the others or not at all

i am a system, i have headmates, and that is my life, and my discord is rings2006wilson#8609

Thumbs up

2023-06-28 02:02:18

What you could have done is just leave it alone.
If you know it's a site that gives links to pirated content, maybe you just shouldn't bring it up?
As others have said, if it's that big of a deal to you, you should have just gone to the admins privately instead of posting it here.
As for banning piracy, the staff team is not banning it everywhere. As far as they're concerned, you can pirate content all you want as long as you don't discuss it here.
Did you just find another site for obtaining free audio described content? You can use it and share it with your friends, but don't post it here.
Not only are they concerned with the legal consequences of allowing this sort of content to be shared, you also have to realize that there are game developers and content creaters on here.
If they saw the staff team allowing piracy of movies, TV shows, or even mainstream games, what would they think?
It would probably leave them with a bad taste in their mouth, and the chances they would want to create anything for this community would decrease significantly.

Thumbs up

2023-06-28 02:06:21

Yeah I give up. We're going in circles at this point. It was handled anyway. Best to just move on.

Thumbs up

2023-06-28 03:09:38

exactly, it was handled

Thumbs up

2023-06-28 03:36:33 (edited by George_Gaylord 2023-06-28 03:38:11)

Is there any validity to the logic found in 31? IE, the piracy thing? Whether or not this community supports piracy or not there will be cracks floating around. It's an accepted evil I think. I mean. There are piracy communities, not a community, communities. (Plural) with an active userbase ten or twenty times larger than this at the minimum

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

Thumbs up

2023-06-28 03:36:59

I'm sorry, the pun is too easy...@32, you could say we're going in rings? LOL!!! Ah well. The matter of Crazy Party is troublesome, due to the fact someone clearly put effort into it, making it not a typical asset flip and it does advance the arts. Though this is the stated goal of copyright law, its draconian nature kind of makes me think that yeah, Crazy Party is a threat...

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

Thumbs up

2023-06-28 03:57:38

How does it not fall under fair use? He's not making money off the product.
While we're on the topic of games with copyrighted assets, what about Beatstar? A lot of user submitted content is filled with copyrighted sounds, and the admins aren't going after it.

Thumbs up

2023-06-28 04:42:49 (edited by defender 2023-06-28 04:43:52)

The mods said that only new games would be subject to these new rules to be fair to the devs and to not make the mods have to deal with 2 decades of backlog, if I remember correctly. That was after crazy party came out, so...

Thumbs up

2023-06-28 04:43:51

36, i think the difrence is thats usermade stuff, that doesn't come with the game, so, thats why devs dont go after mods for games, though, crazy party is just something someone clearly pulled sounds for and just made it, and to be fair, even if it does fall under fair use, Nintendo go after roms, when I've herd roms fall under fair use, so there sounds probably will be something they would go after

Thumbs up

2023-06-28 05:05:15 (edited by Lucas1 2023-06-28 05:06:44)

@37: Yes, they said that. It is one of the stupidest things they ever said. I don't even know if they consistently stuck to it because you're telling me that a game that at the time was always near the top of new releases, a topic with literally millions of views doesn't deserve to be acted on? This entire thing is and always has been based on image. Only applying it to new games negates the entire point because new games don't have topics with 3000 posts and 2 million views, generally speaking. I will go so far as to say that there are games that are basically the face of this forum, and CP is one of them. Not the top one, certainly not, but one of them. It's one of the things you'll see most on this forum. So if you're going to have this rule, at least enforce it consistently. To be honest CP doesn't need audiogames.net anyways, I think I've always said that they should've removed its link because it's stupid not to do so when it's probably one of the examples that brought on the whole damn discussion in the first place. Pragma respectfully said that he would not be entertaining the question of getting new sounds for the game, and in doing that I guess he called their bluff. It wouldn't surprise me if this line about only new games started after that. I know this post was pointless and this entire discussion is pointless, but I felt like making it.

Thumbs up

2023-06-28 13:10:18

@37
Pragma is very much active though so they have no reason for giving it a free pass other than to save face.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

Thumbs up

2023-06-28 13:22:17

At Lucas I'd go as far as saying that the mods basically let their pants down and are standing butt naked in front of the hole forum.
You see, Jayde hugely announced that games with stolen assets will be cracked down upon and the first game they try doing that, it doesn't even work. That hole policy failed before even taking off.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

Thumbs up +1

2023-06-28 14:20:31

I actually do think OP should receive a warning. Context does definitely matter, but so does handling a thing with intelligence and tact. Look, let's say I found a thing that I thought was a bomb, and I took the bomb and set it in the busiest part of downtown and ran around saying to everyone who'd listen, "Hey, I found a bomb, look, the cops really need to get rid of this thing". There's probably a law on the books about inciting mass panic or hysteria.

The analogy kind of sucks, but it's close enough to the same thing. It takes not that much effort to be like hey, maybe I could just PM a moderator this link rather then put it up here for all to see and anyone who didn't know about it now does.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2023-06-28 14:36:43 (edited by Destranis 2023-06-28 14:37:46)

Did anyone recognise how many times people wrote the name of, let's say, the most popular site full of pirated content here, in this very topic? And noone cut out those words.
Now those who maybe didn't even know, already use it happily. smile

Thumbs up

2023-06-28 18:21:59

Moderation:
After further discussion on the admin team, it has been decided that rings2006 will receive a double warning (two warnings). It's been said many times before by other administrators; we're cracking down pretty harshly on toxic and intentionally-malicious behavior. Had this stopped at post 1 where a link was posted, this might've been just a warning or caution. However, given that OP's follow-up posts clearly demonstrate his position and intent, this becomes a pretty open and shut case.
Thread locked.

Dreaming of a dystopian future.

Thumbs up

2023-06-28 18:40:45

One quick followup to Dgleks post: the filter is not and should never be construed as a ban list. It simply exists to make our lives as admins a little easier and help users who may have forgotten our policy or even inadvertently pasted a BHP link. If I wanted to try and compile every source of cracks on the interwebs I may as well just quit my full-time job.

Thumbs up