2023-06-23 21:54:27 (edited by George_Gaylord 2023-06-24 01:30:09)

Firstly I should start by saying I made this topic mostly to start a conversation. I know that what I am advocating for in this topic is very unlikely, however I believe it could trigger a very vibrant discussion, and perhaps some closure or a solution could be arrived at. No matter how sensationalist you think this post to be, it still touches on an important point, and a point we should all be trying to work on if we want this community to soldier on.
    Next, I want to also acknowledge that everyone has a life. A life beyond this forum. However I also acknowledge that when someone makes a commitment, they should.. Commit to their commitment. It is more admirable to step down when you are unable to dedicate effort to that commitment than keeping on and letting everyone down.
    So by this point if you haven't figured out to what I'm referring, you're probably asking What the hell am I babbling about? I am referring to the current state of the Moderation Team of Audiogames.net. About a year or so ago, they wrote a collective open letter to the admins, regarding their absence and inaction. As time went on, we eventually did get an answer from the Admins who handed over the site to the staff, so that they could do a great deal more than they could previous. (Literally nothing) So the first 2 or so weeks, post-transfer there was a lot of optimism on the forum. The staff were making big promises, and progress was actually being made, despite the one or two bugs. But the upcoming week will make it 6 months since the migration, and several months since we've seen the staff make any kind of definitive statements, with the exception of Aaron lamenting about the radio silence on the staff Discord.
        We're at a point now where name changes and unrestricting new accounts are a big run-around. The most basic, yet integral function of the forum isn't even being done.
        So where is this all going, I promise I'm cutting to the chase now. I am of the opinion a change has to be made. The current team should be completely reshuffled. I think by this point it's clear that the current team needs to be completely overhalled since it's obvious to me the current team isn't up for keeping the basic functions of the forum going. From what Aaron has said, there seems to be complete silence among the team, and even the responses, or lack there of by the staff seem to demonstrate this. For years we spoke about Richard and Sender abandoning us, including the mod team. Just as they handed over control to the mods, I think they should hand over control to a new group of individuals with the energy and expertise willing to keep this the premiere place for discussing accessible gaming.
        What are your thoughts on this?

EDIT:

Changed the title, fixed a few typos

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2023-06-23 22:00:49

Damn it ... I was writing something and hit close by accident, so let's just speedrun it.
1: change title; almost didn't click.
2: need more to work with to argue specifics, but I completely agree.
3: it be late, normally brain no function so late it function less.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2023-06-23 22:07:56 (edited by Lucas1 2023-06-23 22:08:45)

My thoughts are that maybe dgleks will rickroll in this topic as well. We can only hope. Also yes change the title.

2023-06-23 22:10:05

This forum is generally horrible anyway. Look at the most active topic recently if you want to know what I mean. Generally forums follow guidelines that exist everywhere and restrict some topics, But this? It's pathetic enough that one of the admins might start a topic in one of the 3, Should I also mention how derailing topics is not something disallowed? And yes I am sort of derailing the topic now, But since it's not in forced, Who cares? This could start about asking for forum status and could end in a discussion of some random topic absolutely unrelated, This is even beyond stupidity and I honestly find myself hoping this forum goes down so something else, That is much better, Comes up. Small communities will be even better.

2023-06-23 22:12:20 (edited by George_Gaylord 2023-06-23 22:15:44)

lmfao I was tempted to write about that but thought against it.

EDIT:

@4 yeah I think it's important to talk about this but derailing the topic like that wasn't cool which was one of the motivations for making this.

_____

2023-06-23 22:13:52

Very well said, OP. One thing I think also bares mentioning is Dgleks’s extremely unprofessional response to my quite reasonable question in the other thread. I think I was being quite fair given the Circumstances, certainly more so than he deserved, and I didn’t remotely appreciate being trolled as a result. I know I'm not perfect by any Measure, but I'm quite proud of the fact that I haven't even been banned once, unlike somebody else I could mention.

2023-06-23 22:21:22

@6 yeah says everything that needs to be said honestly. It's not also that, it's the whole issue that was raised about the double warning precedent a few months ago that went unanswered or, as I mentioned, the lack of any kind of response from anyone other than Aaron in our topics. Disappointing.

_____

2023-06-23 22:22:16

I'd prefer for this forum to stay up, but we really do need some restrictions on appropriate topics around here. If you really find it necessary to delve into degeneracy, head on over to the asshole of the internet, also known as reddit. It's full of it.

Let alone that the search and edit functions are completely broken and take 5 minutes to load, and there's no spam protection which forces the admins to approve each user manually, which, even before the google form registration, could take several days. Now it takes weeks to months if the user even gets registered at all.

I probably shouldn't have started this post the way I did. Most important issue is forum function, then staff activity, then rules imo.

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2023-06-23 22:22:25

Choices as I see them: Accept the situation for what it is or leave the site. That's really about all we can do. This has been beaten to death.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2023-06-23 22:27:59

Yeah @6 has a point. The rick roll is basically making the statement, IDGAF. If that's the case, then perhaps go on an extended holiday with all those fucks you haven't been giving? I've heard multiple staff members say on multiple occasions that they're trying to work through forum toxicity. Trolling ain't how ya do that.

End racism
End division
Become united

2023-06-23 22:40:47

@9, their might be a third option. Whilst we obviously can't do anything ourselves, we can at least make our views clear, And I was thinking just now that something like a Google form where users could Nominate other users for staff positions might be an ideal way to do that. Said candidates could then be put to a forum wide vote. It might not come to anything, but it would be a lot more productive than what we're doing currently.

2023-06-23 22:55:59

While a staff that is present is needed for forum functionality and even for checking eventual reports, I don't see why you seem to have a so big problem with absent moderation or you are requesting staff's answers as if Audiogames would be a company developing a mainstream software, platform, device or place we need to be accessible in order to our socialization. Provided that, I agree with @9, and in that line of thinking I ask myself why many people complaining about a desperate current situation of this community still stay.

Sorry for my bad English. I'm from Argentina and my level speaking this language is low.

2023-06-23 23:07:38

I only really care about the fact that new users can't get in at this point, and, the site functionality. The rest is a wash IMO.

End racism
End division
Become united

2023-06-24 00:58:42 (edited by Mads 2023-06-24 00:59:54)

I keep seeing this over and over again, and I do see where you are coming from, I think. But I also seem to remember that when they did their open aplications for mods and administrators, there weren't really that big of an interest. Sure, we got a couple of guys barely writing a line for each question, or writing in half broken english, but other than that, there weren't that many. I'm not saying this to throw shade at people who do not have perfect english skills, but I think we all agree, that it is a good quality to have as a mod or an admin.
My point is, you keep remaking this point, and yet not a single one volunteers, that's fine, I don't want to be a mod either, but then maybe cool down a bit and take in the big picture.
Sure, this forum might need some serious work and all, fair point, but sometimes you have to just take a breath and think, will this post:
1. Actually do anything?
2. Start a conversation, that people get anything meaningful out of
3. thpositively or negatively affect the general mood of the forum?
and then ask yourself, do I still want to post this?
If we look at this topic, I think we can safely say, that the answer to question 1 is, no, probably not. If anything were to happen, it probably would have one of the other times. Much the same for question 2, I think all of us have gotten everything we can from this conversation in all the other threads. And as for question 3, well I think that is obvious.
So you can call me whatever, an idealist for believing we can stop picking at old wounds, a cynic for not believing anything will change, but seriously, just ask yourselves, what is this really good for?

We live on a hunk of rock and metal that circles a humdrum star that is one of 400 billion other stars that make up the Milky Way Galaxy which is one of billions of other galaxies which make up a universe which may be one of a very large number, perhaps an infinite number, of other universes. That is a perspective on human life and our culture that is well worth pondering.
Carl Sagan

2023-06-24 01:07:08

@14: First, signature checks out. Second, whatever your definition of a line is, I don't know if it meets the rest of ours. When I look at the mod applications, there are some questions that are simple questions and need only a few words, AKA a line, to answer them. There are some others that require more thought, and there were several applications that were posted publicly which gave those questions at least a paragraph. Also, half-broken English? LOL I don't know if we were looking at the same topic but alrighty then.

2023-06-24 01:16:11 (edited by MatthewSmithYT 2023-06-24 04:38:56)

@14
You're correct; very few people applied for the moderator position. If you're relatively active on the forum, you know exactly why that is. It's something everybody knows but nobody will say.
OP has actually presented a great solution to the problem.

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2023-06-24 01:17:18

Pedantic I know but the word reshuffled makes no sense in this context. To reshuffle would involve moving people in the team to different jobs and as they all pretty much do the same job, this would be counter productive and flat out pointless. What I think you are saying is they should all be either gotten rid of and replaced or new people should be brought in to help. If you reshuffle a deck of cards, you still got the same cards, just in a different order.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2023-06-24 06:09:58

we always find something to whine and complain about.....we really need new games to play

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2023-06-24 08:19:13

Even if it comes to the reshuffling who should take on? Me, with my depression and controversies? Or maybe GCW with all his GCW-ness. There's nobody who could ake on I guess.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2023-06-24 11:52:21

I cannot and will not do this anymore.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2023-06-24 12:14:21

To me, it's not so much the mod team should be replaced, on its own.

It's the mod team /and/ the forum software should be replaced in tanndem. Isn't this what the migration was meant to do? It's not a good look to have absenbt mods, or people with moderator/administrator under their names fooling around, effectively. Okay if you've been around here long enough you understand, but to someone brand new, they look and go ....what the hell is going on heree. Mods are supposed to uphold the rules, admins are meant to do the same. Jayde, I read your other topic and honestly feel like, without giving out info you said not to, that you did the right thing resigning for your own reasons.

A new forum software would make everyone's life easier, bar the people who will stamp their feet and cry and whine and bitch about oh but but but not accessible, without even trying it. There are people in this community, myself included who have used more than just PunBB and can tell you what does, or doesn't work with a screenreadr. I'm all for moving to something more modern, and for retooling the mod team as well. Imagine, folks, being able to click a button to warn someone, and it showing your warning level beneath your own post. Imagine that, imagine having PM notifications, or actual word censors, or a shoutbox, and all of this working with a screen reader

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2023-06-24 12:23:03

Before I get into the rant which will come later on, my only question is ... regarding new forum software: who's gonna recode the current one? Are there migration tools? Do we have willing people with the know how?
I think, while new forum software would indeed be nice and I'm not opposed to the idea, our biggest concern right now is the lack of moderation. If we were to get new software there'd be absolutely no one to do it, since there's no mod to overlook the task. We're losing new users because they can't get in, and it's not a good look. We need new moderators as soon as possible.
Ok coffee time.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2023-06-24 12:54:19

yeah, which forum software would that be? I mean, I have some ideas with lemmy and something like lemmy-bb to emulate that bbs feel, I can even try to either host, or administer such an instance if desired, but I'm not sure people would want that, it's certainly rougher than what we currently have. Are you refering to discourse perhaps? Yeah, that software is...confusing at best, I'd say, but doable if you have the patience of a stone I suppose. Of other software for this which is modern I don't know, so if you thought of something else, please do tell, it's interesting. Yes, this discussion absolutely needs to be had, because if the center can not hold, how will the rest? we'll all come falling down like a house of cards if we don't do anything to correct the ballistic course of the community, and opening registrations while probably unblocking restrictions as well would be a good first step. While the probability of spambots increases if we do this, the consequences of not doing it, with absent moderators and admins to boot, are catastrophic for our community, and francly we can't affoard to do such a mistake anymore, if we want to be still relevant as a very diverse and welcoming blind community for everyone that is. Also, if y'all want to try a new alternative, go check out nolan's place, blindgamers.community. It's hosted by discourse I believe, with their own software of course, so like, that's an awesome place to get a first hand experience of how such a community might be ran, structured and used if we would migrate to that solution.

2023-06-24 13:14:22

@BGT:

No. Stop. Just stop. Your average internet user does not, will not, and probably never will, care about Lemmy. You are acting like a power hungry wannabe power hungry admin throwing out oh I can host, I can host.

Nolan tried. Nolan tried with Discourse. It actually worked quite well but never got traction. Discourse is absolutely /not/ as hard as you make it out to be, as long as, as long as you remember the keyboard shortcuts.

I was looking at SMF, phpbb2 and 3, I was looking at Discourse yes

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2023-06-24 13:20:01

Hi all,
@JayJay
Despite the fact that I have been on this forum for many years, I don't know what is happening with the team?
Anyway, I know this forum as the largest community of the blind and visually impaired. Isn't it?
@haily_merry
I have been blocked in many communities. But in most cases, it was a problem of mentality. I know that someone may not understand me here, but I really hope for the understanding of those who live where the laws are important.
So, if we have some kind of forum where we have certain rules, it's obvious that admins expects us to follow these rules.
But I know some communities where I was blocked not because I violated something, but because someone didn't like me.
As a lawyer, I believe that anarchy will not lead to anything good. Rules must exist and we must follow those rules.
Over the years there have been many reasons to block me here. I started here when I was a kid, I was 12.
But admins are tolerant. I don't know another word.
And personally, I'm ready to do everything to make this community live forever!
@fergregoire94
I know communities of about 50 people who live for many years. Some of them are not very newbie friendly, but for many years they have been talking about the end of this community. But still alive!
@Nuno
Someone who is kind, caring, patient, stress-resistant, whatever...