2023-02-04 08:31:12

Moderator applications are once again open. If you wish to join the audiogames.net moderation team, now is your chance.

In order to be considered for this position, please answer the following questions to the best of your ability. Honesty and accuracy are key.

1. How long have you been an active member of the forum?
2. Why do you wish to become a moderator? Try and be specific here; the more generic your answer, the less effort it suggests.
3. What is your average availability during a given week? Please note: you will not be held to strict time standards, as this is a volunteer position; instead, we simply wish to gain an idea of your ability to commit to this role.
4. What strengths or positive character traits do you believe you would bring to the forum as a moderator, and to a collaborative team environment? Please explain.
5. What qualities or history do you possess which might complicate your ability to be an effective moderator? Please explain.
6. Have you ever received a ban from the forum? If so, please explain what happened.
7. Do you possess a thorough understanding of the forum rules, and are you committed to enforcing them fairly?
8. If there was one thing you would change about the rules, culture or overall community environment, what would it be? How would you initiate that desired change?
9. Please rate your familiarity with Discord on a scale of 0 to 5, 0 denoting total unfamiliarity with the platform, and 5 indicating no problems within the Discord environment.
10. Please outline any prior experience (professional or otherwise) that would contribute to your ability to serve affectively in this role. We aren't necessarily looking for a resume here but involvement in the community, personal projects, technical familiarity, etc. Put another way: what do you do? What makes you happy to get out of bed in the morning? What is your super strength?
11. Please outline your individual solution for the following entirely fictional scenario. As this is designed to be a complex assessment of your skills, strengths and weaknesses, please be thorough and, where appropriate, explain your reasoning.

Scenario:

A good friend of yours is a fellow forum member who has generally never fallen afoul of the rules before. Three weeks ago, your friend posted a link to a well-known unauthorized fork, and received a warning for it. The language used in their warning was unusually harsh, even under these circumstances, and it was given by a member of the moderation team that you often do not see eye to eye with; it feels to you as if this team member is sometimes needlessly abrasive in getting their points across. Your friend became defensive and angry, but recognized that they made a mistake and broke the rules and thus deserved the warning itself. You know, but have not shared with anyone, that your friend is going through turmoil in their personal life which may make them more vulnerable to sharp criticism.
You arrive on the forum today, and immediately see the following report from a concerned user:
"Might want to check this thread out. Somebody snapped."
When you investigate, you find that while you were away,  your friend has engaged in a heated battle with at least one other forum member, culminating in a final post which reads as follows:
"Look, I don't care what you say anymore. Just fuck off and leave me alone. I am sick to death of people always picking on me. I mean, I make one little mistake, and suddenly everyone's out to get me. I don't know what sort of god-damn power trip you and the other mod-lovers are on, but I've had enough of it. I really don't care if they ban me at this point, I am fucking done playing nice and playing politics because everyone else gets their feelings hurt and I'm supposed to just eat it. We're supposed to be here to have fun and support each other as gamers, but that's not what I see. What I see is a bunch of immature, whiny assholes who can't understand that sometimes we say and do stuff that isn't smart, and we sometimes need a little time to learn from them. Yes, you're one of them. No, I don't care if that bothers you. You gave that up the moment you told me that I probably didn't belong here if I had such thin skin. Seriously, fuck all the way off with your high-handed judgments."
A quick look at the posts which came before show that other users did indeed suggest that your friend was too sensitive, and had been saying a lot of unacceptable things, in their opinion at least.
You check the staff discord server, and the same moderator with whom you so often disagree has apparently seen this report before you, and has commented on it in chat, saying, "Jesus, what a mess. Can we just ban this snowflake already? I'll be happy to do it myself."

How do you feel? How do you react, both to the situation on the forum and to the potential conflict on the Discord server?

Notes:

1. All applicants in good standing are welcome. We will recognize only those applicants who submit a completed application.
2. If you wish to be considered for this position, either post your completed application to this thread, or contact any current administrator via private message. If you choose the latter option, please leave a note in this thread indicating your desire to be a moderator, as well as the details on where your application was sent.
3. We do not welcome and will not accept nominations for this position. If you believe you know someone who may be a good fit and/or that has expressed prior interest, send them a link instead. However, please do not directly make such nominations within this thread. Failure to adhere to this condition will result in an immediate warning. We wish to keep this thread as free of clutter as possible.
4. Similarly, this is not a thread in which you should discuss the application itself, or the current staff team, in order to either analyze the application or to criticize current policies or actions. We have other mechanisms for this type of feedback, and it is unwelcome in this thread. If you choose to engage in such conversation, you will receive a warning pursuant to community failure. Please do not interfere with the application process in any way.
5. Do not plagiarize, and do not pool your resources in order to formulate a response to the fictional scenario found within the application. If there is sufficient evidence to suggest cheating of this nature, all parties will be disqualified from consideration immediately.

When a sufficient number of applications have been received, we will close this thread and begin the deliberation process. We will be using a combination of experiential knowledge and a formal rubric in order to weigh the merits and weaknesses of each individual application. When the staff team has chosen one or more new applicants who meet our criteria, we will post once more to this thread indicating the next steps for successful applicants.

Good luck to all. We are looking forward to expanding and improving our team, and we hope that with your help, we can make this community better and stronger than ever before.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2023-02-04 11:47:20

1.    My account was created in December of 2017, but I did not start regularly checking the forum and posting until December 2018.
2.    As someone who has been active on the forum for just over four years, I have seen the community go through its ups and downs. I am interested in applying for the moderator position because I want to help make the forum the best place it can be. Since the forum is the main place for discussing blind accessible games, I want to help keep drama to a minimum. Whenever a new developer comes here to present their project, drama is the last thing they should have to see. I would also like to help make sure that we are supporting developers, not hurting them.
3.    I typically check the forum daily, but there are some periods where I go up to three or four days without checking in.
4.    There are a few strengths I feel I would bring to the table as a moderator. The first strength is that I do my best to make sure I get both sides of a story before jumping to any conclusions. The second strength I have is that I work well with others. I listen to multiple ideas, and I give everyone the opportunity to say whether they agree with something I did or said, and why they feel the way they do. Finally, I can accept change. Not everything will stay the same, and as someone who could potentially be helping manage a community such as the audiogames.net forum, being willing to change processes or views about a topic is important.
5.    When I first joined this forum, I was one of the lead causes of drama, and it’s something I’m not proud of. I also used to have moments where I would get angry over the littlest things, but I have really been working hard at not being that way. In August, I did receive a warning for writing posts on behalf of a banned user, but I have not had any warnings or cautions since then, and I do not remember receiving any before August.
6.    I have not been banned from the forum.
7.    I understand the rules and am committed to enforcing them regardless of my connection to the person breaking them.
8.    If I could change one thing about the community, it would be the amount of drama. While I understand that you can’t stop all of it, I want to try and keep it to a minimum wherever possible. As I stated in question two, a new game developer who comes to this forum should not have to be greeted by it. To help initiate this change and make the forum a more drama free place, I have a couple ideas. First, if a particular user or group of users is causing drama on a regular basis and making the forum toxic, I would try to have a talk with them and put a stop to it. If the behavior continued even after the discussion, I would go to the staff team and present the idea of invoking the community failure clause, but this would be the last resort.
9.    I would give myself a five for familiarity with Discord. I am comfortable using it on PC and iOS.
10.    I am currently a moderator on a Telegram group for discussing audio games. One of my biggest strengths would be that I can get along with anyone as long as you’re a decent person. I always try to give a person a chance, regardless of what I hear about them from other members of the community. I have not been involved in any major projects, but whenever I’m not occupied by school, I’ve been messing around with the Sonus GDE so I can learn to make audio games. I have some ideas, but I do not have the skills to turn them into Code.
11.    Since my friend went against forum rules by distributing an unauthorized fork, I would not try to appeal the warning. Friend or not, rules are rules in a community like this. After receiving this report, I would go through the topic and see what exactly was said leading up to the post. If there were any personal attacks, I would issue cautions or warnings depending on the severity. After taking any necessary action on the forum, I would look at the Discord server to find the messages. I would tell the moderator that I do stand by him for the warning since my friend did go against forum rules. After explaining that though, I would let the moderator know that unless my friend had gotten three warnings, he should not be banned, and as long as he wasn’t a problematic user, that warning should teach him what not to do in the future. If the moderator continued his behavior, I would reach out to the rest of the staff team and see what we could do to put a stop to it.

2023-02-04 13:23:39 (edited by marko 2023-02-04 16:07:28)

1. I've been an active member of the forum for four years.
2. I've been here for four years (shortly 4,5 years) and I think i've seen a lot to this day. I've seen the community go through a lot of drama, but also a lot of great and constructive discussions. I am eager to become a moderator because I care about creating a positive and supportive environment on this forum. I believe I can do this by using my skills in organization, communication, empathy, and following rules. I want to make sure everyone feels welcome and valued and that the community is a place for meaningful discussions, and harmful discussions are as minimal as possible. My goal is to help the community be the best it can be.
3. My availability is generally pretty good during all times. I check the forum every day when I have nothing else to do. I go to school, but the days are not very strict. Of course, there are times where I check the forum more rarely, for example if i'm on a vacation, but this doesn't happen very often.
4. As a moderator, I have strong skills in communication, empathy, organization, following rules, and working with a team. I am good at talking and listening to others, understanding different perspectives, keeping things organized, making sure rules are followed, and working well with others. I am confident that I can help make the forum a better place.
5. I used to be very gentle, not wanting to hurt others even if they did me wrong, but i've changed, and i've learned to say my opinion in a way that won't hurt others, but will give them an understanding of what I think. Also, when I first joined the forum, I asked a lot of questions about programming that probably I should have figured out on my own, which yes, I understand why some found it annoying. Also, when I first was unrestricted, I said my age was 19, as I thought that children would not be allowed here and this forum would be for 18 years or older, but that's really not a big thing anymore. I've made mistakes, but i've learned from them.
6. No, i've not received a ban.
7. I thorougly understand the rules of this forum and I will enforce them fairly. This means even if I don't like someone, I will not punish them or personally attack them in any way, and also if I like someone as a person, but they do something that's against the rules, I will do what is necessary.
8. I think the biggest problem is the amount of personal attacks and the toxicity. I want to minimize the toxicity here.

To make this change, for example, if I noticed a topic is getting very heated, I would first step in without punishing anyone, asking generally to stop and to calm down. This obviously depends. If the toxicity is caused by one user, I would tell them to calm down. If the behaviour continues, I would do what's necessary.
9. I would give a 4 for familiarity with Discord. I use it a lot with PC and iOS.
10. I have good communication and empathy skills. I have not contributed much to the forum in the past, but I am eager to get involved and make a positive impact. I want to understand the community's values and help keep the forum safe, respectful, and inclusive. I believe my passion and desire, along with my communication and empathy skills, make me a good fit for the moderator role.
11. If I were faced with this situation, I would be concerned for my friend and the situation on the forum. My first step would be to reach out to my friend privately and offer support and understanding. I would understand that they are going through a tough time in their personal life and advise them to take a break.
Next, I would review the situation on the forum and assess the negative interactions. I would consider all perspectives and make a fair and impartial assessment. If necessary, I would issue a warning to my friend to remind them of the rules of the community.
Regarding the comment on the Discord server, I would approach the situation with professionalism and tact. I would have a private conversation with the moderator and express my concerns about their approach. I would also emphasize that a ban should not be the first solution and that all parties involved should have an opportunity to address and resolve the issue.
In resolving the situation, I would aim to create a positive and inclusive community while upholding the rules and maintaining order. I would facilitate a discussion between all parties involved and encourage everyone to be respectful and understanding of each other's perspectives. If necessary, I would enforce the rules and maintain the safety and well-being of the community.

Best regards: Marco

2023-02-04 13:31:57

hi
@Jayde
i from sent a message to you privately

2023-02-09 00:17:00

1. I have been an active member of the forum for about three or four months now. I made an account and posted a little in 2019, but I didn't start checking it every day until recently.
2. I want to try and be a moderator because I think this site has so much potential to be a resource and networking opportunity for many, if it has enough people helping to keep it afloat. It makes me feel very passionate about helping out when I see the amount of hate that some direct at the staff team, whether they mean to be malicious or not, because I know that people are trying as hard as they can, and I want to help those who are genuinely trying to make  a difference here and are likely overwhelmed. I think I could offer a new perspective on certain issues.
3. I would be able to at least check the forum every day with my current schedule. I might miss some days, especially on the weekends, but for the most part I could be fairly consistent. I also never leave my phone more than a few feet away from me, so I’d be easy to get a hold of if it was urgently needed.
4. I do not easily become aggressive or irritable. I am able to see other people's point of view very well. I've always been good with people and psychology, and I think that might help on the moderation team. I consider myself to be quite good with words and defusing situations. I am generally a very calm person and think I would be able to make a level-headed and thoughtful addition to the team. I also have a very academic mind by nature, and take deadlines and responsibilities very seriously. I tend to comb through things in a methodical fashion. I am also detail oriented.
5. I tend not to engage in conflict. Even in my post profile, you can see that I usually stay away from topics that are high-intensity or likely to turn ugly. Therefore I could understand hesitation and questioning of my ability to take up this position because my post history is so non-confrontational. I understand that to become a moderator sometimes can go hand in hand with dealing with conflict, and I am willing to make the change.
6. I have never received a ban, warning or caution.
7. I have a thorough understanding of the forum's rules and am committed to enforcing them. I think that they were very well thought-out and are all there for a very good reason.
8. If I could change one thing about the rules, I would clarify what counts as thread necromancy. I have seen people question what exactly that means, how long ago a thread had to be dead before it's considered grounds for a caution, etc.
If I could change anything about the culture, I would change how quick people are to attack one another for disagreements in opinion. I understand that is a very hefty goal, but I would hope to encourage people to see other’s perspectives more often. I believe many disputes are born of misunderstandings, maybe even language barriers at times.
9. My familiarity with discord I'd say is about a 3. I use it regularly on the computer, but I still have trouble with the IOS app occasionally or finding things other than my messages and channels through the quick switcher.
10. Though none of them have been published anywhere yet, I have written over twenty novels and novellas, samples of which I would be happy to share with anyone who is interested. Therefore I think I am an effective communicator, often realizing things when I write them down that I did not realize when speaking aloud. I also have shared some of my musical projects with the world, and as a result know what it's like to be a creator. I understand, at least partially, the way that developers feel when sharing their work with the community. I understand that takes a lot of bravery, and I'm committed to this being a place where they feel welcomed and encouraged to do so.
11. I would tell the moderator that there is room for improvement on both sides. I would suggest that action does need to be taken against my friend, because favoritism is only going to make things worse, but would also say something like this to the harsh moderator in question. I think that my friend reacted so extremely because they felt that they were being unfairly treated by the staff team. I'm not saying we don't take action against them because they did break the rules, but there was another way to warn them. I would then provide examples from the moderator's post that I thought were overboard. I may add something I knew of my friend, for example, my friend takes offense to the word you used in the post because of his/her background, a detail that is not too personal but may help the moderator understand what they've done wrong. I would listen to the rest of the team in regards as to what punishment my friend deserved, because I would understand that I might have at least a little bit of personal bias toward them. I would talk to my friend outside of the situation to try and pacify them and explain what had to be done and that they are not above the rules, but of course, it would be as a  friend and with understanding.

2023-02-09 05:17:36 (edited by JoWier 2023-02-15 04:21:25)

I have sent my application privately to @dgleks

Abay chal.

2023-06-28 00:34:03

1. I've been active off and on since 2017
2. I want to be a moderator because I like this forum, and I want to see it thrive. This is one of the few places on the internet where political discourse can be had without the moderation team interfering for their own preferred political faction, yet some decorum is still required.
3. I am typically available throughout the week, barring classes. My weekend availability is a little more iffy as I do have games to attend those days.
4. I can make fair and honest attempts to understand others. If someone comes to me with a problem, I make every attempt possible to see why each person made the decisions that they did. I try to get down to the truth of a matter. I try my best to keep to the spirit and word of the rules, and prefer to be up front when I make decisions. Rules are important to cultivating a community, and the internet is no different in that regard. When considering actions, I can check them against rules to verify legality, and those I struggle with, I can discuss with the moderation team for guidence. Indeed, I feel that it is best that the moderation team act together rather than one person controlling the show in a given situation.
5. The most concerning issue is that i've generally been spotty in terms of participation on this forum with blank periods when life got in the way. I think it has happened approximately thrice, and they were long breaks.
6. no
7. I understand the rules, and I will enforce them fairly. I will also go back to those rules to ensure complience with each event that comes up.
8. I would like to see more clarity on when double warnings are issued. Such a change would require approaching the rest of the team about the idea, hashing out language for the rules section, and then one of us publishes the change.
9. 4
10. I do not have too much moderation experience, but I do have a little system administration experience. Not much, but a little.
11. The first thing to do is to handle the volitile situation that could arise on the discord. My message would be as follows. "Before we do anything extreme, I'm going to ask what I do understand is typical of me to take some time to review the post point by point." Next, I will take the post, open up the rules page, and optionally grab a cup of tea. We are looking at potential rule 2 violations, and the Obligatory additions section under the behavior update of september 2019. This means that, at least with moderation actions, we really can't use kid gloves. Now, let's check the post. "Look, I don't care what you say anymore. Just fuck off and leave me alone. I am sick to death of people always picking on me." Mostly good, except those last words..."I am sick to death of people always picking on me." If we check under the clarification section, we see a section on Character Assassination. Under that heading we have: "Character assassination is defined as the slandering of a person or group of people with intent to destroy or seriously undermine confidence in that person or group without adequate reason." The thing is, this line does not seem to fall under that definition so cleanly, but I would note to bring this to the moderation team. I would expect input from the moderator already handling this case, but I would request a third party just in case. Better safe than sorry if we don't agree on character assassination cases. Next: "I mean, I make one little mistake, and suddenly everyone's out to get me." As above. This would be part of the same instance. It also occurs to me that character assassination against everyone is a dubious claim anyway, but better safe than sorry still. "I don't know what sort of god-damn power trip you and the other mod-lovers are on, but I've had enough of it." Oh, now we have a more defined group this time, and more importantly, a well defined individual who might be getting attacked. Under the clarification section, under personal attacks, we find "'You're power-hungry/you get your kicks from shutting people up'" The entry suggests that this one might be up to personal interpretation. Note to bring this up with that afformentioned panel of moderators for review. "I really don't care if they ban me at this point, I am fucking done playing nice and playing politics because everyone else gets their feelings hurt and I'm supposed to just eat it." Nothing notably wrong with this line. "We're supposed to be here to have fun and support each other as gamers, but that's not what I see." Oh, this is an important line. This gives us a common bridge to work with. Always good to find some common ground. Even if the worst case scenario occurs for this user, perhaps we have a common ground to work with. "What I see is a bunch of immature, whiny assholes who can't understand that sometimes we say and do stuff that isn't smart, and we sometimes need a little time to learn from them. Yes, you're one of them. No, I don't care if that bothers you." This is part of a whole idea, so I should consider it so. Now, let's go over if this is a rule 2 violation. And a quick read through suggests that this would be name calling. I've already got a panel looking at this post, might as well double check this while I'm here, but I'm confident that all three of us would agree. "You gave that up the moment you told me that I probably didn't belong here if I had such thin skin. " Not much worth saying about this line. "Seriously, fuck all the way off with your high-handed judgments." And this is more attacking the ideas in a sense. Compared to our earlier finds, this isn't that bad.
Now that that's been done, time to go back to the discord. "I've reviewed the post, and here's my findings. What do you all think?" Followed by listing, in a more compact version, my findings from above. Requesting two other mods to look at the more dubious cases. Now, here's where things get interesting. More than likely, this post is warning worthy. The question is how many. Also, the matter of people calling the user a snowflake is also worthy of at least a caution, I might ask the mod team if this is also a warning worthy event. I'd argue probably one warning for the obvious personal attacks. The other event would depend on the other mods. It would be more suitable to give one warning in any case if only to try to avoid further unnecessary hostilities. I would request to take this one on giving something like this: "MODERATION:
@post Calling people Immature, whiny assholes is not acceptable on this forum. As you said, we should be trying to support each other, and I understand that you haven't been getting that support. That being said, the rules are pretty clear here, and you shouldn't escalate the issue. In the future, feel free to report such instances of attacks on your person. To those of you calling @post a snowflake, consider this a {warning/caution} as well." Finally, file the actions under the discipline thread and that should do it for a while. Perhaps, privately tell my friend to take a break from the internet for a while.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2023-06-28 04:34:22 (edited by haily_merry 2023-06-28 04:39:38)

1. I've been active on and off, mostly on, since I registered in August 2017.
2. I'm a relatively long time member at this point, and I care deeply about this forum and it's future. I'm also firmly of the opinion that the moderation team is badly in need of some new blood, particularly in light of recent events.
3. I have a *lot* of time on my hands at the moment. I should be starting college in the winter, assuming nothing goes catastrophically wrong, so I'll have a lot more going on then, but even so I should still have plenty of time to keep an eye on things here. I'm also in UK time, so may be around when other moderators and administrators are not.
4. I'm thorough, have an excellent memory for detail, am familiar with the community at large and understand how it reacts to certain things, and I passionately believe in social justice. I understand the importance of compromise and consensus, and believe that a balanced team, one which reflects the differences of opinion, political and otherwise, inherent on a forum of this size, is essential in order to maintain trust between users and moderators / administrators.
5. I can be impulsive, and I sometimes struggle to separate myself from situations which concern me and see the bigger picture. I've also been around since I was quite young, and there may still be bad blood between myself and certain users. However, I believe that I've significantly matured as a person in recent years, and will attempt to confer with the team if I ever believe that I am out of my depth.
6. No.
7. Yes.
8. I believe that this forum is sometimes lacks when it comes to dealing with bigotry, hate speech and the like. Direct personal attacks, EG you're stupid, your game is stupid, ETC, are usually delt with rapidly when moderators / administrators are active, but the more insidious personal attacks, as well as hate speech which is not directed towards one particular individual, are sometimes left to fester. I would propose that an amendment to the rules be made, making it clear that hate speech of any sort, personal attack or otherwise, is unacceptable here, and would personally commit to making sure it does not go unnoticed by the team.
9. 3. I'm capable of using it on Mac and IOS if need be, though it's certainly not my preferred communication platform of choice. I do, however, have friends whom use Discord exclusively, and am more than capable of using it if need be.
10. I'm very familiar with PunBB / PanBB owing to extensive experimentation during my youth, and I'm very good with computers and sysadmin more generally. I've been using Ubuntu / Debian for almost 5 years now, arch for 3, and I've dabbled with Open and Free BSD. I'm reasonably familiar with Apache and Nginx as well, and I in fact once memorised the syntax for creating Apache configuration files when I got tired of Googling the same questions every time I had to setup a new server. I can use MySQL too, though I hate it with a passion. That's about all I can think of for now.
11. Knowing my personality as I do, before doing anything, I would attempt to solicit a second opinion from a more neutral member of the team, for instance Carter or Aaron. Failing that, I would attempt to make my friend's side of the argument known on the Discord chat, and would ask that their personal circumstances be taken into account, and hopefully lesson their punishment. I would also try to make my general unhappiness with the other moderator's language known, and suggest in the politest possible way that they sometimes come across as needlessly harsh and could perhaps soften their language going forward. If conflict erupted as a result, I would try to distance myself from the situation as much as possible, including from the friend in question until things cooled down a bit. I'd be perfectly happy with a reduced punishment, or really anything short of a permanent ban, but would be prepared to leave it in the hands of the other mods if it became clear that my opinion was not held by the rest of the team.

2023-08-04 08:21:35

I have been an active member on this forum for about three weeks now. I’m fairly new here, but I still wish to help.
I’d like to be a moderator because I’d like to be able to intervene when there are toxic threads or conversations going on in this community. I understand that I can’t be a hero, and that’s not what I’m trying to do. However, toxicity can ruin friendships, and it can also hurt people in general, even if they are not necessarily friends, and I’m talking about anyone who is involved in said toxicity. Even if someone is simply reading a toxic conversation, things could be said that could be triggering to some people, and so my goal is to bring that level down as often and as much as I can.
When it comes to my availability, I honestly check the forum several times per day. I don’t always contribute, but I’m definitely still here. So, as a result, I would be checking every single day to make sure this place is staying friendly if I get excepted to be a moderator. There’s honestly no way to tell exactly what times I will check the forum on a given day, but you can definitely be assured that I will at least be on the forum no less than three times per day, scattered throughout the entire day.
As a moderator, I would bring fairness, equality and patience to the entire forum, as well as the team of moderators and admin working alongside me. If an admin or moderator decides that a user should be punished, but they wish to have a conversation with the rest of the team, I would do my best to find common ground With the person who thinks the punishment should be given. Obviously, people can’t always agree, which is why I would always try to find common ground with the entire team to make sure that the situation was handled the best way possible.
Sometimes, I can be very gentle. I hate to make people feel bad. However, as a moderator, I would definitely enforce the rules. Even though I’m a gentle person, I’m not too gentle. For example, cracking games is not OK. People worked on those games, and it is simply theft. Stealing is not OK under any circumstances. So, if a person on this community is even hinting that they are trying to crack games on this forum, or give links to games that have been cracked or pirated, I would definitely make sure that a punishment was given. The only time where my gentleness may kick in is if someone says something a little too mean to someone, I may not necessarily think that a punishment should be given right away. I am the type of guy that likes second chances , but of course, bullying and personal attacks are not allowed on this forum at all. I would still give a punishment, and my gentleness will definitely never make me not give someone a punishment if they deserve it for being rude, especially if there are personal attacks.
I have not received any bans on this forum.
I went over the rules before applying for an account on this forum, but I also read them in their entirety before submitting this application just to make sure I understood. But yes, I do possess a thorough understanding of the rules, and I promise to enforce them fairly And I will always stick to this promise.
One thing that I would change about this community is the amount of personal attacks and the amount of people being rude in general. The way I would go about making this change happen is by letting everyone on this forum know that I check several times a day, and punishments will be given as soon as I get to them, which won’t be very long at all. People would definitely find out very quickly that they could not hide it from me. With that being said, I’m not the type of person who likes to show my power. If I become a moderator,  I’m not trying to scare anybody away. By saying this, I’m simply letting everyone know that they must follow the rules, or punishments will be given. I’ll also check the reports every time I log onto the forum just in case there’s something in a buried topic that I may have missed.
I rate my familiarity with Discord a 3. The only reason is because I don’t have a Discord account. It’s just that I personally don’t use it. However, I do understand what it is and how it works.
Playing with technology and discovering hidden features and secrets is what I love to do. I like to ask questions, explore new things in places, and just play around in general. However, I do understand that being a moderator is serious, and I would definitely take my position seriously.
First of all, I would not even consider the fact that the forum member is a friend. I mean, if this conflict really was happening with a friend, of course I’d feel bad, but it wouldn’t get in the way of my judgment as a moderator. The way I would handle it is create a post in the thread that was causing the most drama in the conflict, and I would let everyone know that we all make mistakes, and I would kindly ask everyone to drop it. As for the Discord server, I would most likely let one of the webmaster’s know about what the moderator was saying about the member. Now I know a lot of people would disagree with me, saying that you shouldn’t go straight to the top of the chain, but after all, the webmaster would be the only one more powerful than a moderator or admin. since in this scenario, my friend was going through turmoil before this, I would tell my friend outside of the forum that they probably need to stay off of it for a few weeks so that the other members can have time to forget about what happened, and more importantly so my friend could  calm down mentally and just take a break in general. I’d also privately tell the moderator who called my friend a snowflake that maybe it would be best to leave it to the other members of the staff team in this case. I would say it kindly, and I would say it because  if the moderator has a personal bias against my friend, even if it wasn’t my friend, it’s still could make said moderator give a more harsh punishment.

2023-09-10 03:41:07 (edited by DJWolfy 2023-10-12 05:10:15)

Keeping this here, but I withdraw my application for now. Working on some other stuff.

2023-10-23 04:56:10

1: I have been an active member of the comunity since somewhere in mid 2011 and have been posting on a semmy regular basis.

2: I am noticing the current vacuum of moderators slowly but surely becoming a problem, with warnings not beeing given out although they are long overdue, reports are not read and, if a moderator is looking at reported situations, oftentimes random amounts of warnings beeing given out, exemplary a double warning or instant ban, without really explaining why more than one warning was beeing given.
I want to change that situation in improving the response times and bringing this place back into a situation where problems can be delt with faster and in an orderly manner.
I still think that this comunity can be something big if everyone works on it and we don't let this slip further than we already did.

3: I am generally available during the week in the evening, UTC +1, same for the weekends, although there might be days when I am available the hole day.
4: Throughout the last years I learned that patience is often key and both sides of a story need to be listened to before any solutions are thought of.
I would call myself someone who is able to analyse a situation and act acordingly if all evidence is on the table.
Another trait I developed is that I want to get things done in a quick and eficient manner. Due to my training and job experiences thus far I am able to fine tune processes and if procedures are convoluted to clean them up and change how things are done.
Nothing is static, one has to accept that things change over time and changes need to be made, adapting to new situations.

5: A cupple of years ago I got into a few useless fights with other members, resulting in warnings and a 90 day ban in 2020.

6: See above, I received a ban for aantagonizing the views of another user who was and is very pro chinese, I was mocking him for this and received the ban.
7: I have a very good understanding of the forum rules and I am able to follow and enforce these as necessary.
8: As written above, processes take far to long and nothing seams to be worked on. We are talking about change for the last cupple of years by now and we all know that this forum system is no longer an option if we still want to be a respectable comunity of blind and visually impaired gamers.
In my opinion, we need to do a hard cut here, set up a new forum, put this forum into archive mode if that is an option and start fresh again.
If we can create an image of this forum and either upload it to somewhere where people could then still search it or inject it into a new system that would be fine, but we need change now and sooner than later.
Another thing I would change is the promoting and demoting of moderators. Mods who are not doing anything, exemplary handing out warnings should be demoted after a while. I would put in a rule that after X number of days, a moderator loses his mod status, if another candidate who is still considered for a mod position should be promoted. If there is no other one, a new topic goes up with a fixed timeline where everyone who wants to be a mod needs to submit their application.
9: I'd give myself a 4.5, some parts of Discord I haven't explored yet, but nothing I can't work out.
10: As stated above, one of my strengths is leading a team and getting work done.
A few years ago we had to plan a new room for our school which would be used for computer work, in this case lessons in networking, analysing hardware components and working with them.
I was coordinating the hole project and set up a work plan, analysed what is needed for computers, how large the room is, what furniture is needed, which securitys are needed, as an example ESD protected tables, armbands, shelves and so on.
i then checked out what computers would do the job, checked different manufaturers and set up a cost and performance calculation, taking into account the cost, CPU, storrage space, support availibility which I needed to find the best system available.
Same with the ESD protected workspaces.
I enjoy planning out projects, making sure that all requirements are met and that there is smooth sailing all around.

11: Given that my friend has broken a forum rule I wouldn't appeal against the warning, we are in a comunity where rules are there for a reason, if we start bending the rules just because a friend of ours is involved, total chaos would ensue.
My first step would be to check out the forum threat to see what led up to this hole mess, noting down any previous altercations of other users to check if any other action needs to be taking, (cautions, warnings and so on).
I would then discuss my findings with the staff team on the discord to reach a final conclusion.
During this I would talk about the comment made by the other moderator and clearly state that he technically broke the rules off forum in calling someone a snowflake which can be considered a personal attack under §2 of the forum rules.
I also would state that if you uphold a rules of comunity it is not your place to attack the person directly, although this isn't public.
If in future the mod in questions would continue this behaviour I would reach out for other mods I trust to see what can be done about the situation or if  I am possibly overreacting.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2023-11-10 04:16:17

1 i created my acount in october of this year
2 i started right away
3 i would help people out and bann them if they were being very inappropriate but i wood worn them first

4 i have no weak spots i am strong at being a good sport, playing fair, and all other game and forum aspects

5 i have none
6 i have never got a bann
  yes and yes

8  i am not sure
9 i have a 5
10  my super strength is playing games like stw
11  i wood be very suprised  cause that is not what my friend normally does.

2023-11-10 17:45:47

1 years
2 megalomania
3 always
4 myself
5 nothing
6 probably
7 no
8 everything
9 5
10 jod
11 idc

2023-11-10 20:35:10

Ok, since we're shitposting, and honestly I am a better applicant than half of the people in here, here you have it. Beggers can't be choosers and all that.
1: off and on since 2012.
2: I could give a generic answer and sugarcoat it with fansy words; some 300 word post about how I care about the forum - bla, bla, bla. I understand the question but the phrasing is weird. To actually answer it, though, it's humor. I never saw myself as moderator material, getting that position would be hilarious.
3: I sleep 12+ hours aday, other than that I can give someone the titty twister at any time. You do the math. Needless to say I'm more employable than a respected accountant with a 40+ hour schedule.
4: WTF, it's me, dude. Seriously though ... how about actually being around and doing things? That's a fairly positive trait on 2023's audiogames. Other than that, I'm very neutral and careful with policy implementation.
5: wtf, it's me, dude. IDK, brash and angry ... my reputation proceeds me and not in a good sense.
6: I happened. I was probably on a stupidity witch hunt and bit off more than I could chew while yelling at people.
7: I can read. I would try my best. I'm not saying my best is good, but that's one of the few non complicated answers you get.
8: less toxicity. No, seriously. That's funny coming from me. I just realized this would be like therapy for  me ... yeah don't make me a moderator seriously. Ok actually a proper answer, but I want to see more transparency and community engagement. Funny how that worked out in the last couple of years.
9: 6. No, that's not a typo.
10: Who said I was happy getting out of bed? I'm insulted. I've done a couple of projects over the years but with my mega ADHD and later down the road clinical depression I hardly finished anything. My super strength is stuffing down 2 pizzas and a bowl of icecream in one sitting without projectile vomiting. I haven't done so yet but I bet I could! I also make a hilarious dog voice.
11: I would assume that this moderator is not a good fit for the job. You can make good calls without being a good moderator.  As outlined, calling someone a snowflake for being emotional doesn't show you in a good light. Depending on the remaining posts by this user, I would either ask things to be cooled down and invoke whatever established rules there were, or I would probably just caution the user. In this post, there's nothing worthy of a warning by itself. I would say there's not enough information in this hypothetical cenario to make a judgement, and the only takeaway is that the post itself is potentially fine, previous mod actions were justified but that the "snowflake mod" may not be a good fit for the position and oh god why am I writing this out? I must be bored ...
This is far too little to work with to construct a narrative, and I'm not  about to branch out with 100 different possibilities. I could, but I thought we established I was writing this for fun.

Oh shit, I see in the notes we're looking for a number of applicants before closing submissions. I don't know if this still holds true, but if it is even my seemingly worthless application serves a function by expediating the -selection of new mods.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2023-11-12 20:00:20

Well, going by the standards of @12 and @13, 99 % of all active forum members would be better admins than these two. But other than Lundin, my application is actually serious.

1: I have been an active member for six years.
2: This community has, more indirectly than directly, helped me to many great experiences. For example enabling me to play so many great games by first of all helping me find them and second of all giving me tips on how to play them, or helping me find people who also like gaming, or just by giving me a laugh after a hard or bad day because someone posted something funny. After all that, I feel like I want to do something in return. In short, this forum could be a much better place than it is now and I want to help the forum and the community so they can make more of that potential.
3: I usually check the forum daily andbe able to commit the required time to the forum. However, when there's a particularly stressful time during my courses or when I'm on holiday/away with friends, I may not be able to check the forum for a few days. However, these periods would always be made clear beforehand.
4: When I am taking responsibility for something, I take that responsibility seriously. This means I will be as active as possible around the forum. I also believe that I am someone who can separate their personal relationships with other forum members from the official role as a moderator. I am also confident that I am very level-headed and can keep calm in hectic or stressful situations or when dealing with particularly tough moderation cases.
Where teamwork is concerned, I will always coordinate with other team members on moderation decisions, never making snap decisions.
5: I may have been harsh and angry occassionally (and I might still be), mostly if someone really pisses me off or tests my patience a little too much.
6: No, never. I haven't even received a warning yet.
7: Yes, I do. Even though the exact enforcement of some existing rules will have to be discussed further (the handling of copyright material, to be precise), I will enforce the rules fairly.
8: There are of course many things that I would change (most of them minor, some of them major), but I wouldn't even start with rules, I would start with transparency. At the moment, there are modes of punishment (double warning and the GCW case) where there is no protocol. I would clearly explain when a single warning is handed out, when a double warning is handed out and when there is a no-warning-ban such as with GCW.
9: 4. I would have said 5 because I use Discord daily, but I can't use Discord on my smartphone (IOS) apart from reading and writing (short) messages, which is also due to some accessibility problems with the IOS app. For more detailed things, I would have to use the Windows client.
10: Broad question. What I am getting into professionally (journalism) doesn't have a lot to do with this community. I am more or less regularly contributing to thegerman localisation of the Hearthstone access project, I am not involved with the development itself though (I can't code). I am currently a moderator on the ICC (International Camp on Computers and Communication) discord server, even though that server seems to be completely dead at this point, even though we (the server admin, another mod and me) may try to revive it at some point in the future (that's not certain though). I am also currently considering starting my own Discord server to maybe start a Discord community for german-language audiobooks and audio dramas, that is only an early idea though. My super-strength? In a journalistic context, it's creating audio content. but in a moderation context, I have none other than fully committing myself to a role.
11: To make writing the following answer easier, I will call the mod I often disagree with Jim and the friend John (all similarities to real names or forum usernames are coincidental of course).
I would start by talking to Jim about his handling of warning John harshly regarding the copyright material case and calling him a snowflake. If I mention the turmoil in John's life or not dpeneds on that turmoil's severity. As it is not detailed here, I can't precisely judge that. If it was something minor, I wouldn't mention it. If it was something serious that would put John in a state of getting emotional or aggressive quickly, I would mention it. Anyway, I would tell Jim that his handling of the earlier copyright incident was unnecessarily harsh and may have put John (independent of his personal situation) in a position where he is more leaning to be against mods and mod-supporting forum members, especially if the latter constantly criticise him harshly for his single mistake.
At the same time, I would go to the topic in question and remind everyone not to go after a single person for one mistake. I would also tell John that he overdid it with his last post, but I wouldn't give him a warning since there was no major personal attack in his final post.

Note regarding Discord: I may occassionally not be able to join voice chat on Discord.

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2023-11-14 03:17:23

@12 and 13, are applications are just fine thank you

2023-11-14 12:10:07 (edited by Shehryar 2023-11-14 18:59:06)

you do realize #12 is you rite? also that's some extreme mod talent rite there!

if you buy a king sized bed, you're left with more bed room, but less bedroom!

2023-11-14 17:36:45

just imagine a scenario where #12 and #13 are indeed moderators

Hey, if you wanna chat, add me on discord.: VIPPotato#3363
or you can chat with me on telegram: https://t.me/VIPPotato
Regards, and take care.

2023-11-25 15:10:35

At 12, claiming you have no weaknesses is false, everyone's got a weakness, and that also includes the moderators.

Suffering's what keeps me alive.
If one never suffers, one doesn't live propperly.
So embrace the pain, the suffering life has brought you and will bring you in the future

2023-11-25 16:40:32

@19 Yeah that's the biggest problem with that post. Don't even know why people give it the attention. The administrators are smart people and can see what is a good application and what isn't.

2023-11-25 17:02:55

indeed, now a good aplicant would only get past the preliminary stage if they were to admit what their biggest struggle in the position would be, and that so that the other mods could work with the person to get around the afor mentioned weaknesses

Suffering's what keeps me alive.
If one never suffers, one doesn't live propperly.
So embrace the pain, the suffering life has brought you and will bring you in the future

2023-11-25 17:03:06

I just want to remind people here that this is for submitting applications and not for discussion.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2023-11-25 21:03:56 (edited by keyIsFull 2023-11-25 21:07:15)

Topics are topics only if they are enforced, otherwise they can be for posting whatever you want. Oh did I mention that my favorite Christmas song is Grandma got run over by a reindeer? Right now there is no enforcement so you can make the topic about whatever you want. I really enjoy riding roller coasters; my favorite amusement park is Cedar Point. And oreos are not that good. It is clear that this moderator application went nowhere because no new  moderators were adddedd ddue to it so even if enforcement were to happen, the point of the topic has been negated, so you might as well make it about whatever you want. Yes. This forum is pretty much a do what you want forum now. I want to get a lot of money, convert it into coins, and then drop all the coins from about 10-15 feet into a metal bowl so I can hear a loud clattering of coins. And iguanas are pretty neat but only lookingg at them; caring for them would probably be pretty annoying and expensive, because I think they eat other creatures so I would have to buy them.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2023-11-26 01:51:02

@19 people can have no weaknesses
and i'm one of them

2023-11-26 09:48:06

@24 obviously, as your first weakness is your writing, let alone other hidden weeknesses.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P