2023-01-31 09:57:06

Hi all, 
It's been a hot minute since I last posted, which was over in this thread:
https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4598 … game-demo/

Last summer I was prototyping a music-based audiogame in Unity and built a rough prototype (tutorial + 3 levels) and got a lot of amazing feedback from that thread and this community.  It really incentivized me to move forward with the game and kick off full development.  Fast-forward 6 months and I wanted to start a new thread with updates on the project as it evolves. 

Currently the game is called AURA (but I'm not totally settled on that name quite yet... we'll see).  As my Unity skills are pretty lackluster I hired a proper dev who is finishing up his schooling at DigiPen and he's been tackling all the coding (excellently I might add!) while I handle the design, production, music/SFX, and QA.  So far we've built 12 playable levels, with 10 of them nearing completion and I'm really happy with that progress. They still need a lot of tuning and polish, but I'm thinking the fun core game mechanic is there.  This indie-game isn't going to be a massive sprawling game by any means, and is more like a series of fun but challenging "mini-game" levels, all focused on finding tracks of music and re-assembling songs, all while avoiding obstacles and dangers.  To make the game more engaging, I'm working with a story-writer and we've created a whole narrative with a few characters and a plot-arc that I'm hoping will entertain players as they work their way through the game smile

After the 12 levels are completed and a proper tutorial is created, the story can be turned into a script and I can begin the fun task (not sarcasm!) of finding voice talent for the game.  I'll be on the hunt for a British sounding Butler and French sounding Queen.

So that's the state of the game and I'm hoping to release it by the end of the year if all goes well.  Between hiring a Unity coder and a writer, and likely needing to hire a sound designer as well, I'm thinking of doing a Kickstarter to help offset some costs.  I'm trying to think up some cool tiers that would get people who back the project some early access to the game and even some input into some elements or content in the game.  I'll update this thread if I end up doing that at some point.

Ok,  that's all from me as of now.  One of my goals, once I have an updated and better architected tutorial, is to get this community a download link to try out the game in its current state with maybe a few levels.  I got so much insightful feedback on my prototype that it'd be great to hear how you all are thinking of how it's progressed. 

Thanks for reading and excited to update this group on my progress periodically!

Kasson

--
Kasson
music ~ twitter ~ vr ~ email

2023-01-31 23:59:59

Hello there. I am very excited for this game. I'm not a professional but i can try an do some voice acting for the game. Thanks for this update, it's always nice to see new games and new developers on here!

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2023-02-01 01:23:46

Maybe we can convince Dark to voice the butler, as he's done voice acting before, specifically with Eric the Cleric.

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2023-02-01 01:30:55

Oh yeah that would be cool! He was great in 3d velocity!

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2023-02-01 18:52:56

Awesome updates, glad to see this coming along nicely.

2023-02-01 19:20:53

@1:
This sounds pretty exciting. I can't really help with much though but would definitely be up for playing testing demos for you and giving feedback for those. I am a nauvice at sound designing but can do some of the high-end to low-end basic to medium stuff maybe at this point so there is that if you need any help or feedback on stuff you wanted to try.

2023-02-02 09:03:21

Thanks for the comments and enthusiasm all!  I'm not quite yet ready to get into the sound design aspects quite yet, but on the VO front if there are reels/portfolios of people you think I should reach out to, please share them here or PM me at [email protected]  -- many thanks!

--
Kasson
music ~ twitter ~ vr ~ email