2023-01-12 02:17:41

Note: this initial first post is a long one, spun off from the open letter to webmaster topic. I wrote some stuff down, but then realized some of the stuff I was asking was much more about just the webmaster and staff ssituation, so I've decided to put all of my thoughts here so as to not make the webmaster topic go, well, too off topic. What's interesting, this has gone from one of the most curious posts I've written, i.e: seeking answers, to, by the end, honestly one of the most exciting posts I've written in my mind, but also slight worry, I don't know how all my thoughts are going to be received, but I don't mind either way, responses positive or negative please just post in here and I'll get back to you as well. Disclosure, there is a sort of order but it's not fully ordered, so this post might be a bit all over the place.
I hope though regarding the first points, some other staff can get back to me somehow.

***a few months back***
Regarding webmasters... people were asking as far as a few months back what was happening. Well, those few months back there was stuff being discussed on the server, nothing being fully hashed out but various things being discussed, when these were being discussed, I asked a deliberate question, can I come on the forum and say something, anything, about what was happening. Not go into full detail, but just so that at least the community knew that we're here.
Every single time, I was met with a no because there were no solid updates.
A question about that: what happened to transparency? I was willing to provide that. I was not about to provide our server logs, and things that need to stay private. But why couldn't I have said something like, "I recently saw two of our staff discussing policies but they don't want me to go into detail yet". Or "our private staff channels now have a transcript of the meeting". Just a brief, little, update. A sense of hay, stuff's happening but stuff's slow. Instead, I maintained radio silence because I did not want to break staff trust. Meanwhile, people were asking, even at one point, "hay why can't someone come on here and just say something, even if they can't reveal anything fully?" at that point, I wanted to do exactly that.

***the end of 2022***
I saw yet another post (reasonable, I might add) in the webmaster topic asking for updates, you all want updates, it's reasonable. I'm going to be honest by the end of 2022, I almost just did update you all upfront. However I got worried I'd get hounded if everyone was shocked at it, Aaron why are you posting stuff when there's no updates for us to announce? So I just didn't post.

***the staff environment***
Let me be very, very, very clear. The staff environment is not one that seems toxic, at all,
not from what I've seen. It can be quite formal sometimes, but I've never, ever, felt bullied. I know I might sound contradictory. So let me explain. Rather than feeling bullied, the reason I didn't just post here was I do not want to break staff trust. I would not want to accidentally make that environment awkward. But, I also feel like we're a community here as well as there and I do think we need to be more transparent. I'm going to be honest when I saw some of you fellow forumight's posting in the webmaster topic but wasn't sure whether I could post a response to you all, it did upset me a bit. Couldn't I just have said... something?

So here's the big one. If I don't feel bullied, then why didn't I go to the staff channels first at the end of the year, then just ask? Because... Sometimes when I send messages through our channels, I feel like they're not received, there's been points where I'm waiting days for responses. I've said as much in the channels as well at a few points.
I'm going to ask this publicly, because quite frankly I'd like an answer from one of the staff:
Am I just unlucky due to my timezone sometimes, as I think I'm the only admin from the UK, or is there a situation where sometimes the communication channel has issues for everyone and messages just get unluckily missed?
There is even a message from a couple of weeks back that I posted which never got answered, asking for an opinion on a topic. To this day, that message, has not, been answered! The more recent one, I can forgive as it's probably still being thought through, that had a lot of questions.
Now, I am going to be honest I won't be able to currently check instantly because the device where I get Discord notifications is currently getting it's battery replaced and won't be with me for at least a couple of days whilst parts are being sorted. So, I'm in a situation where, if someone does want to chat to me on the staff channels, I don't quite know what to do because I don't want to end up checking every single minute, in case someone answers and I miss, but at the same time, I don't want to not miss if anyone answers. Someone might have an answer for here, and a slightly differently worded answer maybe even more details, for the staff channels.

***in defense of Jayde***
I'm putting this here specifically, because I do worry that some of you think Jayde's some sort of bad guy. Do we have different styles? Yes. But if there's anything I've seen, believe it or not actually quite recently with the MistWorld stuff, everyone wants to help this community.
I know some of you might have an impression that Jayde's some sort of digital monster of doom or something. He's not. I do, definitely, think he is the strictest among us all, and a few years ago me and him would clash proper, not insult clash but get into debates that were on opposite ends, I think we still do sort of, but they're nowhere near as hardline clashy. More like soft debating and actual common ground finding. But I do not think he's some sort of pervayer of doom or anything like that, no way. Now, I must admit, he's done a lot, really a lot, at points, so surely it must get to him sometimes. Before anyone jumps to any conclusions, I can very confidently say that it wasn't even Jayde who asked me to not do an update all those months back, let me get that out of the way right now.

***what about me?***
I think it is probably quite well known even on here I'm probably the least strict staff member around here, so maybe that's the thing. Do people want me to make more points in the staff server? Do people just want me to take more action on the forum or something? I've never been the best at doaling out punishments, I must admit. A lot of the time when I've seen behaviour instead of acting on here I go to the staff. Maybe that needs to change and maybe I need to act.
I'm not going to lie, if I end up needing to ban someone that might actually be a little nerve wracking. That's a big responsibility. It'll be one that, as an admin, I might need to take. I think on here I've banned maybe one user, but banned a ton of spambots.

***ideas, part I***
It's also no secret I want to do more community things. I'd love to do a year-in review, this might actually be easier than ever as I think this year's the first year where hopefully we'll get monthly digests every single month, so that means I'd be able to go back through and find what was released what month.

You know one thing I'd really love to do, genuinely, and one thing I don't think we've ever done on this site? Celebrate anniversaries of audiogames, well, accessible games in general, not every thing on here is an audiogame, but by that, games specifically designed with blindness in mind though. Now, yes, that takes bigger setups, maybe even more staff members, and I know the reason this wasn't really done was because on the server we're always managing the site. We've also never really done roundtables or talked about our favourite games in general.
Now, I was given a heads up by a couple of staff members they are not necessarily there for friendship they are there to do a job. That's true, but by the same token especially in the past, it got really formal on there. It's gotten less formal especially over the past couple of years there's a little banter going back and fourth, no more than necessary.
An aside: Now here's the thing. Sometimes if something very cool happens, I can get excited, like, really excited. We do have a general channel but I don't know really what to do in there, for instance when I first played Last of Us part 2 and had played it for the first time I wanted to let the staff know before I came on here, but I didn't, because I wasn't sure how I'd have been received. There's positivity and excitement, yes, but I wouldn't want to go accidentally too hard that I just annoy everyone else in the staff channels.
Back to anniversaries though, Thing is, I think on mainstream sites like Polygon (I know we're not a mainstream site) but you see retrospectives and stuff. I've never seen one retrospective on here.
I actually think if we got more staff members, I'd love to do some sort of anniversaries and things with them, if that's even possible, but with site management going on, it's never happened in the past.
It's also an issue what happens if it's an anniversary of a foreign game, for instance some sort of Japanese audiogame anniversary or text games, but I don't have enough fluant Japanese to contact the devs? I actually don't know what anniversaries are coming up in 2023. One year, five year, are there any ten year ones? Imagine if we could do a ten year retrospective on something! Imagine, dev interview or something, but what would we ask? What would we arrange?

***ideas, part ii***
I am also going to be really honest. The reason I never did a year-in review was because previously, I know I needed help, and I was a bit worried if I'd come to the community asking for a list of releases in this or that year I don't know how I'd have been received. I got a bit worried you all might have been like why didn't you check the database, or just new releases room, but trying to get stuff into a list of month/day was... trickier than expected so I did just end up giving up. If I'd come here and posted, would anyone have been willing to help or would you have all thought I was just taking advantage? Like I say, there's positivity and optimism, but how much is too much?

I know we have monthly chat, but another idea I had was a sort of monthly update from me or maybe other staff members where I/we detail about some of the topics I liked on the forum, some of the stuff we took part in, and maybe, and it's a big maybe, express some things I did not like. I wonder if that might have unintentional issues though if I started something like that. For instance, at one point I was imagining a user getting something of the month for contributions or whatever, like, for the month where Hearthstone access was released it would have been something like, most recognized topic, Hearthstone access. Trouble is, at least one staff member might think I might accidentally be doing popularity contests. Which wouldn't be my intention. Maybe if I just stuck to positive things and no negative at all? So, for instance, let's say a donation drive happened and I thought hay that was cool, I'd acknowledge and thank the community for helping. Stuff like that. You all know what I'm like, you all know how excited I get though, do I get *too* excited? In the end, I decided to just scrap that idea but honestly I'm happy to experiment with it to see what the community thinks, a pilot of sorts even if it's just me at first.
One thing that's fizzled out is my retro audiogame reviews topic, I think I got up to Classic Pipe or something and then life got in the way. I think I also stopped due to lack of responses, so maybe I was just doing this at the wrong time.
That's actually a point, if I get windows 10 or 11, how will I be able to play these classic games? Then, would people want me to start these again? Or, did people miss it the first time so they didn't respond, or did people think I was just too late with it or something?

What are people's thoughts on all these things, from the situations at the top of the post, to the questions and ideas as I've gone along? I know at the top I expressed some frustrations, I don't know if that's the best idea or not. But... I truly feel something had to be said, but then I realized what about all this other stuff, so decided to put that all here too.
I'd like people's honest thoughts about all aspects of this post, or whatever aspects people think they can provide their thoughts on.
I don't know if I've done the right thing by posting here or not. But I wanted to get my thoughts out there and I do want the site to be the best it can be.
I have no idea what's about to happen, but... I'm biting the bullet... with a little trepidation. I also don't know how the other staff are going to react, but I felt something had to be said at the top part of this post.

2023-01-12 02:34:06

I think you missed the main question forum members have been asking. Is the site migration happening? We didn't want to know about the internal staff drama, or what ever you call that wall of text you wrote. It doesn't matter if you want to do a retrospective, if the site goes down due   to lack of updates.

2023-01-12 04:00:55

Thanks for your question.
I don't know the whole situation regarding the migration which is why I haven't touched upon it in my post, so this is why this topic is more of a spinoff with other things other than the migration.
That being said though, the latest is what's already been said publicly, we hope to have a staff meeting. I hope I can be part of this one this time, I was a bit sad I missed the last one, and that was because I was away.
I do not consider my post drama. If this was drama, believe me my tone would have been much more angry. I have a lot of respect for our staff.

2023-01-12 04:38:37

Hi Aaron, I sent you a PM. I would've posted my thoughts publicly, but I didn't want to start anything. I don't think I said anything horrible though so yeah...

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2023-01-12 05:16:01

@1, good ideas.
@2, Between what Jayde said last week and what Aaron said in post one, I'm a little hopeful that we may hear some good news at some point.
Not getting my hopes up too high though.

2023-01-12 06:14:23

Hi Aaron.
To the first part of your post, I don't have that much to say, obviously I'm not part of the staff team and so don't know the full story of what's going on and why updates aren't being provided.
Although I do agree with you that even stuff just saying you guys are still here would be very welcome. I'll admit, I've been getting very worried about this place.
The reason I'm posting though is about the reviews thing.
I actually would really love it if you continued your reviews, you inspired me to start writing reviews for a while because I realized it was such a cool idea.
Obviously that fizzled out because of stuff that's completely off topic to this, but basically, I'd love to read reviews and participate in any discussions around them.
Also to the year review thing, I personally would have no problems with you asking for a list of releases that happened in the year. I'd help you in any way I could, because that's a fair question for you to ask.
Onto game anniversaries, I think that would be really neat.
And maybe all of it doesn't have to be contacting the devs, in case its a Japanese game or something. We could do our own thing, Like maybe if some youtubers here are interested they could cover the game on their channel and talk about it.
And people could write reviews of them, and of course if devs are open to interviews that would be super cool.
And to your comment about anniversaries in 2023, don't quote me on this but wasn't AAC released in 2013?
I'm not sure what month it was, but if I'm right, that's a 10 year one.
Also. I'm pretty sure at least one of the BK games was in 2013, bk2 I think but I'm not sure on that. I can go digging through some forum stuff and get conformation on this though.
Also scramble will have a 1 year anniversary in march. So there's that.
That's all the stuff I can think of right now, I can't really remember anything released in 2018 so I'm not sure if we'll have any 5 year ones. I'm a little rusty on my forum history though. LOL.
Hope this helps.

2023-01-12 08:21:10

Your reason for coming out publicly was transparency, and you explained to the other staff before hand how you were going to be transparent and what you were going to say. From what it sounds like in your post, you took the right approach to doing this, explaining it in a short and sweet message without any confidential information. The team saying no to multiple requests to be transparent even in a way that wouldn't do any harm to the team is very questionable and goes against their previous statement of wanting to be transparent. However this is only one side of the story, so hopefully another staff member will weigh in and provide any further details that you may have missed or misunderstood. This doesn't sound like the team that has previously advocated to be transparent, so there must have been a damn good reason to not say much about the matter and decline your request. Maybe their listen isn't good, or maybe you just didn't listen good enough to what they were saying. With only one side, we can't jump to any conclusions. Did you alert any staff before hnd that you were going to make this post if nothing was done about it soon? It may have come off as passive aggressive or even a threat to the team, but maybe it would have forced them to take action instead. After all you are not known for being strict, so perhaps showing some level of authority or being more firm could help them understand that something needs to be done. There are too many unknown variables to have any opinions; we can only hope that the staff will not hold a grudge against you. I don't know any of the staff members very well, but I don't think any of them would considering all of you are in a tough position right now and for the last 2 years things have been chaotic for the team. Here's hoping you and the team can work this out without much conflict, but at least you did something even if you feel it is a mistake. Speaking up for yoursel is a good skill to have, and even if doing it here in public was inappropriate, at least it is a start and you can improve on it from here, making less mistakes as you go. I wish you and the team the best, and I hope one day this place can be the place we all want it to be again.

2023-01-12 12:40:20

I did not inform the staff before making this post, for the reason I stated in one of the parts to it: sometimes, when I put something out in our channels, I do not get answered at all, sometimes even after weeks. I felt the best thing I could do was come here, because maybe at some point the staff might give some thoughts in here. I admit, perhaps not the best thing to do ever, but whilst I was here, I wanted to put some positive things too for us all to think about. None of us want this site to die, I can definitely tell you that.
I will definitely need help with anniversaries, and if we get some more PR staff members in the future it's something I'd love to talk to them about. I won't be able to do all of this alone, and with others managing the site I don't know how much they'd help me.
AAC is a game I still haven't finished in terms of post-game.
Can I just say as well, thanks everyone so far for being reasonable with me as well, you've all put good questions and thoughts to me. I wasn't sure what I'd wake up to this morning.

2023-01-12 12:42:51

Hi, sorry for double post @4 could you please re-send your pm? It seemed my inbox limit ws reached with spammers absolutely going for it. I've removed them now so the inbox should be clear.

2023-01-12 15:48:44

I think reaching out to the staff before posting this would have negated the point of the post. @1, thanks for making this post, and hopefully it's the shake needed for fruits to come down from the tree.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2023-01-12 17:29:45

To be honest, I really get not wanting to say or do anything wrong. I often have the same problematic mindset where I massively overthink things until I convince myself that bad things will happen if I went through with an idea or that people will be really upset. And once in a while, you just have to say fuck it and just do what you wanted to do. This comes reading the part about anniversaries and end of the year summaries and stuff, where you seem to think asking the community for help will just create drama and backlash. But I honestly think that won't happen at all. As drama-filled and negative as some parts of this forum seem to be lately, there are still many people who would happily help you. In fact, I would say these are great ideas that could bring the community closer together in preparing such stuff.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2023-01-12 19:19:56

Grouping games into a collection is not as simple a task as it sounds, especially as a one man team. You explained what your project is and why you think it would be a good idea. If you can, announce the project with a running start.
"Hello I'm looking for games that will have their fifth anniversary this year, so games released in 2018. So far I have x, y, and z. If anyone has any other games or suggestions to make this easier, please post them here."
Someone might reply with research techniques like searching by date in the game database. That probably doesn't exist, but you get the idea.
This isn't always a rule of thumb, but the bigger the running start, the more likely others are willing to help since you put in a lot of effort which equals less effort for them. Sometimes you can ask if it is worth it before risking your time with a heads start, but generally people are more inclined to help if you have already proved you are willing to put in the effort, as it shows that it is worth putting effort into in the first place.

2023-01-12 21:11:30

Thinking on it, I really do think it might have been simply due to time. In fact, I'm starting to realize my point about reaching out to the community or worrying about it is  indeed quite rubbish/silly on my part, because for some reason I can distinctly remember one time reaching out and actually getting responses even, but then, time just flew away with me. So, that one was totally on me.
Monthly digests are going to make this easier for me to do year-end reviews, and I can of course reach out to you all again, same with anniversaries. Plus, if we're quick enough and I'm struggling to find contact info for any devs that are needed, others might be able to help with that too, and if we can't find devs, then we can all come up with memories. The only thing that might be problematic at the moment, would be if something like Crazy Party comes up, because I don't exactly know what is going to happen with that game yet. That's something we hope to hash out. I've got my own thoughts on that policy that are a bit... complex, it's not a matter of yes or no, it's a matter of if we do something we gotta do this in a way that will benefit as many people as possible whilst still sending a message. It took me years to come around to a policy like it, because at first I was incredibly, extremely against doing anything.
I think part of my worry is people might not respond to me because of a lack of belief, as in the past I've said oh hay I'd love to do this or that and nothing ever happened.
Speaking of classics, whilst not quite relevant to me yet, I do know that at some point I will be getting a win10 or 11 rig. How easy will it be to get classic audiogames up and running?

2023-01-12 21:25:34

At this point I'm not sure if anyone knows what's going to happen with Crazy Party.
As for the BSC games, you can use the BSC Fix found on BSC's archive page.

2023-01-12 21:48:59

the bsc games are unpredictable. On some computers they work fine, on others they will somewhat work, and on others they will refuse to run at all. There are some utilities that can help ensure success, but it isn't guaranteed, and remember each game acts differently. So pipe 1.0 might not work, but pipe classic could work fine for example. I've only had experience with these games on windows 10, so I can't say if windows 11 has any impact.

2023-01-12 23:39:58

Blast Chamber works fine on Windows 11.
I used the BSC fix and haven't had any issues.

2023-01-13 00:50:48

@Aaron, since you cleared your inbox, you should now see new messages that you missed when it was full. At least I did with mine. Not trying to be difficult, I'll resend my message if you really don't see it. I just want to make sure you don't have it already because the inbox limit is weird. Lol

Yeah the BSC Fix is really iffy for me. Iirc, Blast Chamber/Troopanum worked but Hunter didn't. Or something like that. I wonder if it's a hardware or a software related thing at this point. Haven't been bothered to check it across different installations of Windows on this machine, but I do reformat every year or so, so I should check that. Then again, I should do a lot of things. big_smile

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2023-01-13 04:15:24

BSC games are unpredictable, yeah. I got them to work on one windows 10 computer, my old one, but can't seem to get them working on this one, though its also windows10.
On the other hand, they worked pretty easily on my old computer. So honestly I'd suggest trying your luck and downloading them, then trying stuff like the BSC fix and things.
As for super liam/judgement day/whatever, those should be fairly easy if I remember right. I've heard of some weird errors with SL in windows11, but I really am not sure about those.
Same goes for light tech games to be honest, they worked fine for me but didn't for others I know.

2023-01-13 05:47:35

@Aaron, I'd like to get your thoughts on this post which I just made in the open letter topic. I might have put it in here but I didn't see this one right away. If I'm being a cock, do feel free to say so, I won't mind. I'd like to think that what I've said is reasonable though.

I can kind of understand why they may not have wanted to release any information. It's a balancing act though. Transparency Vs. having something concrete to report on. Coming here and saying we had a meeting doesn't really convey much information other than that maybe there is some sort of progress we can expect? But, there are too many variables, and then the staff get hounded. But you're right in that if you promise a thing, you should deliver on it.

There is no, and I do mean no excuse for posting a legitimate issue in the staff chat and not getting an answer for weeks. that means your team is not cohesive. It means that the individual members lack commitment. You guys have a discord, yes? OK, well, it's very very simple to juss pop on over to it and see that there are no new messages a couple times a day. I mean, a lot of people use the thing pretty frequently anyway.

I understand not wanting Discord notifications on mobile, because let's be honest, they can get absurd and I have them turned off. Here's the thing though, in Windows at least, you could shift F4 the window so its out of the way and just access it with the system tray, or, put it on a virtual desktop that you have to explicitly switch to. Your client can even override server settings and deliver notifications even if the server has them off, which it shouldn't, at least on the on topic channels. So like I said, there is no excuse for this and you're not the one who's at fault here.

Regarding Jayde, I mean, we will have to agree to disagree there. I've heard multiple times that he's a good person to work with, but that is not evident in the way he writes on the forum. If I said what I truly felt about him, I'd doubtless get banned, so I'll just say this. I think his ego is about the size of Texas, and for reference, Texas could fit 11 of Great Britain inside it. His only good quality is that he's not afraid to make a decision and stand by it, even against overwhelming opposition. He's definitely not a PR person though. He's the type of guy you want to make the decision that you know people will hate, then you hand that off to someone who will spin it in the best possible light.

I've said before that you're wishy-washy, and I still hold to that, you definitely are. And, sometimes that really doesn't matter, while other times it does. What you did here though, shows me and it should show yourself, that when you truly feel that something is wrong, you will try to put it right. This is good. When we grow into ourselves, we eventually have to shuck off the idealism of our youth. It's very unlikely that you can live your life without ever stepping into a grey area. We're a diverse populous, and we aren't binary.

In another topic, there was talk about The Myers Briggs type indicator, and after reading into it a bit and taking a test, one thing I've noticed is that they don't really show you as falling somewhere in the middle. You're either E or I, S or N, T or F, and P or J. But we live in a world where we generally fall somewhere on a spectrum, our personality traits don't exactly align with one side or the other.

I know what it's like to get caught up in the trap of overanalyzing everything. I used to do it a lot more than I do now. Sometimes, you just have to do what you feel is best in the moment with the information you have. We're human, and we make mistakes. I don't think this was one of yours, though the other staff might. I can't say though, I don't know any of them well enough to speculate.

There will be times in your life where you have to go against the grain, because it's the right thing to do, and because you know you wouldn't be able to live with yourself if you didn't. Sometimes you have to just act, and damn the consequences, and the popular saying, "It's better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission" is sometimes true.

If you do this too much, it'll bring consequences you won't want to bear. It's all one great big balancing act, we're living in a world where we have to do our best to reach a point of equilibrium, similar to how our bodies work every day of our lives to maintain homeostasis.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2023-01-13 06:25:48

Couple of clarifications here:

1. When I know the answer to a question, I try and answer it most of the time. I'm not perfect about this, but I don't ignore people, generally. Not without a great reason, anyway, and no such reason exists here. If I don't know the answer though, I sometimes don't answer, because "I don't know" seems kind of pointless and a waste of space. Still, the point about recognition, even in the form of "I'm sorry, but I don't know" is a good one.

2. We've had most of the team busy or distracted or going through RL stuff over the last little bit. This means that sometimes the Discord server has been quiet for weeks at a time. This is not a case where everyone's talking and Aaron gets ignored, and I don't think that even Aaron is trying to imply that. I could be wrong, mind you.

3. The server migration is, in fact, still on the roadmap. We are interested in doing some more of the fun stuff, but hopefully once we have better software to play with. This is also when we were hoping to expand the staff team, because having one or two more people on the PR/event side would definitely be a good thing. We just didn't think it made a ton of sense to do that on this slowly dying software, only to then migrate and maybe have folks learn some more new systems after just having learned the old ones.

4. There has been no desire to keep things nontransparent. Speaking for myself, at least, I only figure that we should try and present a more unified front when possible. Thus, when decisions weren't finalized, I didn't necessarily think it made a lot of sense to discuss the entire deliberation process, particularly when folks had gone MIA for awhile and discussions on certain things - most of them, honestly - stalled. This is why posts like this get my back up a little. It is not as if we're trying to keep you or anyone else in the dark, and even the unintentional implication makes us look a lot more cagey than we are.

5. For the most part, I see the Discord server as a place to keep tabs on doing a job I volunteered to do. This doesn't mean I'm always formal at all times, but it does mean I didn't join the staff team to socialize or to muse about maybes. I can do that on the forum, or in my non-staff capacity. For me, on the server, it's almost always business at all times. That's just how I am personally, though, and I absolutely do not object to people who are a bit more laid back. Trust me, I'm plenty loose and easy around people I like and in situations where I don't have a job to do.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2023-01-13 11:24:50

If y'all are thinking of hiring more people, do it now. You've already seen what waiting does, and it has only done harm to the team. If the migration is done 3 weeks from now, great. Either those new members will have to adapt quickly, or you will have to replace them with new people. There is no such thing as a perfect time. Plus the more people with influence, the more pressure you can put on the webmasters to actually get things done. So start hiring!

2023-01-13 16:03:09

Nah, that makes zero sense. If it looks like the migration will happen in a reasonable timeframe, then they should hold off. Also as Jayde pointed out, there's no reason they should have to learn two pieces of software if the old one's going out with the trash. Another thing, you think the web masters are gonna care what a bunch of newbies think? If they care at all, it's because the people who have been entrusted with the running of the site, and the people whom they have been working with to a certain degree have come to them, not because 5 new people do so.

The ultimate goal here should be to make the process as smooth as possible, and try to keep things respectful, after all, these guys are still providing for the site financially, even if they aren't actually taking part in the running of it. They could decide to pull the plug tomorrow and that would be the end of it. So because A) human decency and B) because the staff does need their help / approval on this, it doesn't follow that they should resort to the nuclear option and start hounding them with new staff members.

One more thing, what a hell of an introduction to your new position. Hi, welcome to the staff team, your first duty is to write scathing emails where you hound and pressure our webmasters to get off their asses and come to the table so we can talk this thing out. No one's gonna do that unless they are doing it on behalf of another person like a secretary or paralegal or they themselves are a lawyer.

These new staff members, they will be unable to function if they can't even reach their team mates. No one wants to screw up so early on, so they lean on the judgment of their colleagues, which is difficult if their colleagues don't check their team chat. So yeah, first, the migration, then the team needs a bit of a kick in the ass and a shake out. Before they bring in new people, they should see who isn't pulling their weight and cull the herd, as it were.

End racism
End division
Become united

2023-01-13 17:09:52

To clarify, I've not felt fully ignored, ghosted etc, but sometimes I wonder if messages go through. Most of the time, they do. Let's get real here, no one wants to be checking a server every single minute of every day, that's rubbish. I will also say I've got a lot of respect for everyone as staff, and indeed there are some IRL issues happening at the moment.

2023-01-13 23:15:06

You can have respect for someone while maintaining the position that you feel there are improvements that could be made. An example of which is that you have attempted to reach out on several occasions and were met with silence or an extremely delayed response. Saying something about that doesn't mean that you lack respect for your colleagues, nor does wanting people to do what they signed on to do.

End racism
End division
Become united

2023-01-14 01:30:34

Aaron is by no means the only person who has asked questions and gotten silence, either. I suspect that every member of the team could say that at one point or another, there was input sought and not received in a timely manner.

This is definitely something that we have lapsed on over the last few months, and it's what I meant when I said that we need to get better at it. Because the thing is, when we're all present and accounted for, it's quite cooperative and democratic, and most of the time, folks get their questions answered and concerns dealt with swiftly and fairly. But when a couple of people go quiet, stuff comes up, Discord has issues for one or more of us...well, suddenly things can hang fire for too long.

That's not an attempted excuse, either. It's the straight truth. I have definitely had concerns not go addressed for days, weeks, or not at all, even, and in a couple of places it has resulted in folks who I honestly felt deserved some sort of pushback here on the forum didn't get it, and now aren't likely to; due to the circumstances, I didn't feel that it would have been appropriate for me to act on my own, and when I sought backup or context from the rest of the team, I got nothing from anyone, and the issue just sort of fizzled.

It's not my intention to throw anyone under any buses, though. The truth is that we've just had a bunch of people go semi-dark at the same time, and it persisted longer than it should have. When folks are present, they truly are, and people don't get ignored. I'd like to see the whole team, self included, maintain a higher level of engagement and activity going forward, because despite its flaws, this community deserves it.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1