2023-01-09 17:36:27

Luel wrote:

@AlexLeone
My second (not counting the one with a game crash) playthrough was definitely much better.
Some spoilers follow.
I actually managed to do most things, scrambling by the final day, but still!

Thank you again for such a great playthrough report! big_smile

Luel wrote:

Things I did not do:
1. Open the chest in the tower (unlocking spell, please?)
Some time was wasted searching for a key.

After you found the chest, do you remember how you ended up searching for a key? Like, where you looked, and why?

Luel wrote:

And I got a different Magician at the end.

Do you remember what about the Magician was different to you?

Luel wrote:

Then I got entangled with the goblins.
I have a question about that.
Is the player character always going to be locked up when approaching the goblin cave?
I thought that I could use a spell to deal with them.
Which I did, but only after getting out of the cell and recovering my stuff.

You can use a spell to deal with the goblins when approaching the goblin cave! Do you remember which spell you tried to use? You might have run into a bug, or it might be working as intended, I'm not sure yet.

Luel wrote:

I like the game and will like it more whenever more lore and backstory information will be added.
Not to mention spells, magic is always going to be my goal.

I try to add at least a little bit of lore/backstory with every update, but not necessarily stuff you would notice every playthrough. I'll try to call attention to new lore in the update notes!

Did you get out to see the hermit? There's a little lore there if you're interested. And also in the chest. Also, depending on what you call "lore," I know you get slightly different bits of lore while searching for the magic items each game, based on how the world was randomized.

Magic is fun. big_smile I'm not planning to introduce more spells, but I do really want to add more uses for the spells you can already learn. It's on my to-do list to do before Upheaval gets out of alpha. Also, I have plans to add another major magic item, but only after a bunch of other stuff is done/cleaned up, since the magic item would affect a lot of different parts of the game.

Luel wrote:

Will the game always end with the arrival of the Magician, or will the world be expanded beyond that?
Keep up the good work!

My plan right now is that each adventure will always end with the arrival of the Magician. If the world is expanded beyond that, it will be in a different game, at a much later time!

Thank you again for your help and support! big_smile

Solo developer of Upheaval, a text-based open world narrative roguelike!
Upheaval on itch.io (demo and alpha)
Upheaval on Steam (demo only)
Command line version supports screen readers. TTS coming to graphical version and mobile in the next update.

2023-01-09 18:25:10 (edited by Luel 2023-01-09 18:27:30)

@AlexLeone
Regarding time limit, I agree with @JaceK.
I was thinking about it as something for the player to choose as an option.
For example, Flexible Survival is supposed to be time limited game.
Time limit can be removed using cheat menu in the game.
There are also ways to expand the remaining time in game, which are no cheats, just opportunities present in the content.
Now, answering time.
I tried to look for the key after I tried to open the chest and was told it was locked.
I searched only in the tower, on each floor, after getting rid of the wraith for the highest floor.
It was the final day of the game and I had little time.
Regarding the Magician, the one from the previous playthrough liked bandits and hated everyone else.
Meaning the goblins and the wraith.
Since I dealt with bandits and everyone else was at large, the Magician was not happy.
The second Magician liked goblins and was unhappy they were gone, but was pleased the wraith was banished.
Speaking of goblins, I had no option to do anything when I approached them, I just was thrown in a cell.
When I found the Hermit, she told me some story about frogs in the fen.
She also said she was very old.
By lore I mean every bit of information I can get about the world and its inhabitants.
So the stories in the mounds or things NPCs say would count.
The map was also useful in that sense, because it gave me the name of the ranger.

2023-01-11 05:54:39

Luel wrote:

Now, answering time.
I tried to look for the key after I tried to open the chest and was told it was locked.
I searched only in the tower, on each floor, after getting rid of the wraith for the highest floor.

Perfect, thank you!

Luel wrote:

Speaking of goblins, I had no option to do anything when I approached them, I just was thrown in a cell.

This is unfortunate. I'm in the process of fixing a lot of goblin bugs right now, but I haven't seen this one yet. If you have time, could you load your second playthrough's save file and send me the save file using the "feedback" command, and then just add a note to the feedback form saying that it's from you (the save file is sent automatically when you enter the command). I'll take a look at it and make sure it's fixed for the next release.

By lore I mean every bit of information I can get about the world and its inhabitants.
So the stories in the mounds or things NPCs say would count.
The map was also useful in that sense, because it gave me the name of the ranger.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for explaining that! In that case, then yeah, I'll be adding more lore in the next patch, actually. big_smile So that'll be fun. smile

Command line version supports screen readers. TTS coming to graphical version and mobile in the next update.

2023-01-11 20:49:35

@AlexLeone
I sent the feedback.
Could you let me know if you got it?

2023-01-11 21:14:32

Luel wrote:

@AlexLeone
I sent the feedback.
Could you let me know if you got it?

I don't think I got it? You would open the game, load the save that goes with your second playthrough, enter the command "feedback" into the game, and then a webpage should open with a form in it: enter "Luel" or something into the form and submit it, so that I know that the save file is from you.

If that's not working for you, you can always send me the save file directly (it would be a folder with a number), however you want (Dropbox, etc.). Or, if it's too much trouble, just don't worry about it and I'll keep an eye out for the bug to pop up again!

Thanks so much! smile

2023-01-11 21:40:36

Good I asked here, then.
What could be wrong?
I tried sending it again.
The page opened and I filled out the form.
After that I understood from the text the feedback was sent.

2023-01-11 23:29:19

Luel wrote:

Good I asked here, then.
What could be wrong?
I tried sending it again.
The page opened and I filled out the form.
After that I understood from the text the feedback was sent.

I got it now! Thank you, you did everything right, it was just my automated system that was stuck (good thing I checked it!).

I see the issue you're talking about now, and I think I know what's going on. It should be updated in the next version. Thank you so much! big_smile

2023-01-23 07:09:26

Hello. I got the game just now and I am trying it out. I like it so far, but what is the commands for reading the output line by line? I have nvda if that helps.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2023-01-23 10:35:34

Use NVDA review cursor to read line by line.
Numpad 7 and Numpad 9 to read previous line and next line respectively.

2023-01-23 20:28:07

Hey everyone, Upheaval version 0.0.6 is now live, which I've named the Goblin Update. smile I completely rewrote a lot of the underlying goblin code, which ended up solving a ton of bugs and janky-ness that I think contributed to the goblins being previously less fun than they could have been. @Dark and @Luel, I know you had problems with the goblins before, I'm very interested to hear what you think of the changes!

You can download the latest update on the itch.io game page using the download button near the top, or try out the demo which has all the same content as the full game, just shorter. I hope you enjoy! big_smile

Here's a summary of some of my favorite changes and fixes in version 0.0.6:

- New encounter in town after you defeat the Goblin King
- Goblins spread into the forest if you leave the Goblin King alone
- Fixed a bug where goblins were sometimes invisible yikes
- Fixed SO MANY goblin bugs! D:
- You can steal keys from goblin belts to escape from prison and to use inside the goblin cave
- Lots of little tweaks and improvements in the goblin cave
- You get more information now if you go east, foolishly, into goblin territory (I don't recommend it)
- You can store your Map of the Area at home
- You can throw a rock at the vultures (anonymous request from the feedback form)
- Changed the location "East Edge of the Burial Mounds" to "Field East of the Burial Mounds," which should (hopefully) make the location easier to find and identify
- Added more ways to deal with the undead when you have no items
- Fixed the "exit" command in Windows Console version not working
- Fixed rare crash bug when multiple undead hordes were in the same location - Thanks @Luel! big_smile

If you want to, you can read the full change log here

Please keep letting me know what you think about my game. Your feedback is super helpful, especially while Upheaval is in alpha! big_smile

Thank you!

2023-01-23 21:45:12

Hi.
This is a great game!
I'll definitely purchase this as soon as finances permit.
What do you want the game to look like when it's complete?
Just curious.

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2023-01-23 22:20:04

RTT entertainment wrote:

Hi.
This is a great game!
I'll definitely purchase this as soon as finances permit.

This is great to hear! big_smile Did you play the demo already, or are you mainly excited about the descriptions on the store page?

RTT entertainment wrote:

What do you want the game to look like when it's complete?
Just curious.

Thank you for the question! I do have a development Trello board where you can see content and features that I'm planning to add or working on right now. You can vote on the things you're excited about and comment on the ones you have questions about. Right now, there's not much detail in there, but I'm happy to add more detail if people like seeing my future plans for Upheaval laid out like that!

In sort of an overview: When Upheaval is complete, I want to have six different main "factions" to help or hurt (three of which are at least half finished now): the bandits, the goblins, the wraith, the ranger, the lovers (that is, the prisoner in the goblin caves and their lover waiting at home), and a sixth "faction" I plan to add fairly late in development. I want you to be able to help or hurt each of them, and I want helping or hurting the factions to change the way the rest of the world evolves around you. Also, I know I mentioned this in an earlier post, but I'd like you to be able to meet the Magician at the end of each adventure (if you want to), rather than interact with them through a sort of disconnected series of choices. Also also, I want to add one more magic item, also planned fairly late in development (I want to have the six main factions ironed out before I add it, since it would affect all of them).

Those are my plans for this project, anyway! Thoughts? Questions? smile Thanks!

2023-01-24 07:40:15

Hi. Well now that I know how to read through the game things are going much better. Love the game so far and definitely want to buy it can't wait to do more exploring!

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2023-02-18 22:19:04 (edited by AlexLeone 2023-02-19 13:50:35)

Hey everyone, Upheaval version 0.0.7 is now available! You can download it on the itch.io game page using the download button near the top, or try out the free demo, which has all the same content as the full game, just shorter. As a reminder, the Windows Console version is the one that you can use with any screen reader you like (I've tested it with NVDA).

Version 0.0.7 includes a new map that you can use to get your bearings better (type "map" to use it), and "Relaxed mode" to essentially remove the time limit, requested by @Luel and @JaceK.

I hope you enjoy! big_smile

HIGHLIGHTS FROM THIS UPDATE:

- Use the map to orient yourself, figure out where you are, and figure out where you want to be! Type "map" to bring up the map.
- Relaxed mode: Type "settings" to open the settings menu to enable Relaxed mode. When enabled, new games will have the Magician come in 999 days, instead of of 30 days. End the game by making camp on the North road out of town.
- Made "inv" command also open your inventory. Thanks BlindLife Gaming!
- Poems now display each on their own line, rather than with the lines separated by slashes. Thanks BlindLife Gaming!
- An empty inventory now says that you have "Nothing," rather than having a blank screen. Thanks BlindLife Gaming!
- Fixed a bug where sometimes your game didn't save after you loaded a new one.
- Made it MUCH easier to steal keys from goblins. Thanks BlindLife Gaming for hashing this one out with me!

If you want to, you can read the full change log here.

Please keep letting me know what you think can be improved. Your feedback is super helpful while Upheaval is being developed! big_smile

Thank you!

2023-03-14 01:45:54

Upheaval alpha version 0.0.8, the Mac and Linux Update, is out now!

You can download the demo or the full version on the itch.io page.

HIGHLIGHTS FROM THIS UPDATE:

- New version for Mac Console!
- New version for Linux Console! Note: Linux Console players will have to start the game as a command from within Terminal.
- New main menu that loads when you start the game.
- New introduction to each new adventure that shows a (probably) relevant quote.
- New command: "c" or "char" or "character" tells information about your character, including your goal, any statuses affecting you, and any spells learned.
- Changed Close journal command to just "Enter" (so it's simpler and doesn't conflict with the character command above).
- Completely rewrote the structure of the console version to better support submenus. Not sure if you'll be able to tell the difference--let me know if it feels worse, better, or about the same as before. smile

If you want to, you can read the full change log here.

Hope you enjoy playing. smile As always, let me know what you think can be improved. Thanks! big_smile

2023-03-14 18:03:07 (edited by BlindWolf 2023-03-14 18:04:26)

hate to say it, I just went to try the demo and it don't work, the screen pops up and nothing not a thing. so I think the demo is broken or the game don't work with screen readers.  I got the consle version as well as the normal and neither worked.

The windows version useing jaws.

2023-03-14 18:35:53

If this game is on android, could this also be ported to, and accessible for, iOS?

2023-03-14 20:05:42

BlindWolf wrote:

hate to say it, I just went to try the demo and it don't work, the screen pops up and nothing not a thing. so I think the demo is broken or the game don't work with screen readers.  I got the consle version as well as the normal and neither worked.

The windows version useing jaws.

I'm sorry the game didn't work for you! sad

I tested the Windows Console version with NVDA, and it seemed to work okay for me. NVDA is free, so maybe you could try that and see if it works for you?

The "normal" version doesn't work with screen readers, so that's fine. I plan to add audio narration to it, so that's something you can look forward to in the future, I guess!

To try to reproduce your issue, I just downloaded and tried to use JAWS, and I had a very similar experience to you. Nothing was read out when I started the game, and I couldn't navigate the game using the JAWS shortcuts. One solution I used was to press 5 and hit Enter when the game starts up, after JAWS is done talking--that brought me into the Settings menu, and JAWS started reading the game normally again, and I could play okay from there. However, when I Alt+Tabbed out of the game and then back in, JAWS stopped reading everything again. And I couldn't figure out how to make JAWS go back and read something it had already read.

I'm much less familiar with JAWS at this point. Maybe someone else has a solution or a configuration that works for them? How do other players play console games using JAWS?

2023-03-14 20:13:09

dalen lewin wrote:

If this game is on android, could this also be ported to, and accessible for, iOS?

Yes, and yes! I'm working on getting the iOS port up and running right now. So, Upheaval should be on iOS soon! Making Upheaval accessible on iOS and Android is on my to-do list, but unfortunately it won't be done right away, since I'm using MonoGame (which I like using), and MonoGame is not compatible with either VoiceOver or TalkBack (or any other screen reader). Basically, I'll be adding my own audio narration and navigation to the game.

When I start to add audio narration, I'll be looking for feedback to make sure the control scheme and narration make sense and are easy to use. If you're interested in giving feedback at that point, let me know or join the Discord and I'll reach out to you when I start! big_smile

Thanks! smile

2023-03-14 20:45:28

I really ough to try this game out. I just followed this topic from the beginning and i must say this without playing the full game yet, i checked the demo when the topic got posted but trying the game to its fullest just went back and back in my todo list. Thanks for being committed to accessibility.

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2023-03-14 21:02:58

Grabbed the Linux console demo, and like what I'm playing even if I've zero clue what I'm doing

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2023-03-22 22:02:22

I know this game is text based, but does it have sound effects too?

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2023-03-23 14:39:02

TheBlindSaiyan wrote:

I know this game is text based, but does it have sound effects too?

Not yet. I'm working on adding sound effects right now! I just added two sound effects yesterday. Now I'll start looking for good nature sounds for background sounds.

Question about this: Would it make sense to have a generic "choice made" sound effect, like a click or something, that plays every time you make a choice? On the one hand, it would give feedback that a choice was successfully made. On the other hand, it might get too repetitive? Thoughts?

2023-03-23 14:59:52

@AlexLeone, In my personal opinion I would like it, I can't speak for every player but I think it would definitely be useful.
You could always add an option to disable click sounds or any sound if it comes to that, at least then people can have the game the way they like it.
I also think that there should be sounds for completing quests, levelling up etc.
I always think RPGS are better with these kinds of audio queues because if someone were to miss a dialogue or some text, then at least they will still know what they've done based on the different sounds; and besides it's good for retro satisfaction smile

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2023-03-23 16:02:35 (edited by JasonBlaze 2023-03-23 16:06:23)

hey @AlexLeone, maybe you could look for some background sounds in here?
https://gdc.sonniss.com/
I'm sure some of the other forum members can help you with more sounds. just ask around.
also yes, it will be cool to have sounds on almost every event, including makeing choices, combat,  exp gain, leveling up etc.