2022-06-25 14:22:29 (edited by apostolosm7 2022-06-25 14:26:22)

https://www.applevis.com/apps/ios/games … hiron-gate   From Applevis   Explore an endless universe filled with exotic planets, strange life forms, and ancient civilisations in this text-based space exploration game. Manage a crew of space explorers and upgrade their ship with new technology. Brave dangerous worlds to gather the data you need to reach the home system of the mysterious Gatebuilders.
  https://apps.apple.com/gr/app/beyond-th … 1624155440  It costs nine. 99 Fully accessible

2022-06-25 15:15:52

Our dear good young Arnold dug this up for us a while ago.
Really a very very very damn very nice little game that I enjoyed a lot! So I can warmly recommend it!

2022-06-25 17:54:12

Does this game have sound effects?

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2022-06-25 21:21:40

no sound efects, but does have music.

2022-06-25 22:44:43

Never completed it myself, but this is a good game. Recommend it wholeheartedly.

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2022-06-25 23:42:03

Well a lot of random chance about.
I have more or not ended up dead though I like the fact you can name your people.
So startrek various ships which right now is tng, enterprise, discovery, etc I have or from some fan dramas.
Red dwarf is another one and in that case when I try to make my choices I try to stay with cannon as close as I can.
In red dwarf thats quite easy because  a lot of them really don't give a stuff about most things.
I want to try to be the simpsons next maybe or just the default loadouts.
I really like the fact this game is hard to reach the ultimate end though I have got all but the final upgrade which for me is a win.
However more or less you can get to running  out of fuel especially if you handle a system with values over 6.
Then the fact your odds are never completely even and yeah its really good for a twine game.
I really like the fact we have these psudo games though because I can play them with friends.

2022-06-27 00:34:37

Wow, I'll definitely be picking up the iOS version this is great, I loved the PC version.

2022-06-27 08:02:18

Hi.
Thanks for sharing. The game is quite expensive for a text based game on the phone, but I'll pick it up to give it a try. If I didn't knew it was fully accessible, I would have passed it because of the price. I'll check this out in a few minutes.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2022-06-27 09:52:43

Hi. Thanks so much for sharing. Could someone please give us a little more detail on the game? How long is the game from start to finish? Many of these sorts of games are only an hour long, and so I am hesitant to pay $10 if this is the case. Does the game have combat?  Is the game like an open ended endless procedurally generated sandbox? Thanks.

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2022-06-27 10:41:38

Yeah it's 9 bucks here, so... what's good about it?

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2022-06-27 11:28:05

Okay I'll try and explain a bit about the game.

An interstellar gate has been discovered. The game involves taking a spaceship through the gate to investigate different star systems, with the ultimate goal to find out about the alien civilization who made the gate.

Between trips you can recruit different crew members with different specialities, and upgrade your ship to either collect more data, withstand more damage, or be able to scan through the gate for more lucrative systems to visit.
Your crew also gain experience, assuming they survive the misadventures too.

Each system you visit is made up of a large number of interstellar objects, stars, asteroids, planetoids, gas giants etc, all of which can be visited and investigated if you have the fuel. Investigations involve things like sending your crew to check out alien ruins or take readings or spacewalk, meaning you need to think hard about your crew's capabilities. You can also suffer disasters, either miner or major such as tech failures, your crew getting diseases etc.
Since you can only have a limited crew on board your ship, this means a lot of calculated risk and decision making, particularly since the interstellar gate will only stand so many trips meaning your always on a time limit.

All! of this, from the descriptions of the planetary bodies, to the disasters you suffer, to the names and specialities of the crew you can recruit is randomly generated, indeed the amount of random text and random events in the game is truly staggering! So I wouldn't worry about replayability, since even if you do! manage to find a working strategy with the crew and resources you have, you never know what you're going to come up against.

As well as being randomly generated, the game is also beautifully written, indeed I'm not surprised that this is the same dev as seedship, since it has many of the same thought processes and sense of space behind it.

I admit, its a difficult game, and not one I've spent as much time with as I should, since things are pretty tense, and there are lots of factors to deal with, but anyone who is interested in big, scifi concepts, and really going out to explore strange new worlds should definitely give this a try.

Db page will hopefully be coming soon.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2022-06-27 17:02:49

@Dark, thanks so much.
How long do you think might it take to complete the game, or is it open ended something like stardew valley?
Also, which version should I go with, mobile or pc?

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2022-06-27 18:12:47

At dark as always very informative descriptions.

2022-06-27 19:53:46

The game isn't open ended in the sense that you can play on endlessly, though infinitely more complex its more like seedship at least in construction, with the idea that you try a similar scenario over and again, playing with a massive bunch of different factors, and tailoring your decision making to try and get better outcomes, as well as exploring all you can of the randomly generating galaxy along the way.

Replaying is pretty much a given.

As to how long one run through takes, well there is lots of text to read, and lots of things to customise with your ship and crew, so goodness knows.

I played through the first two jumps and it took me nearly two hours, though admittedly, I was also learning the game interface at the time.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2022-06-27 20:15:16

Well it can take as short as 20 minutes, to as long as 6 hours, maybe several days.
I once got it down where I had 99.9% of the core upgrades listed pluss several optional found upgrades and just needed the final but crucial upgrades before I ran out of time.
The game took me over 3 days to reach that point with me alotting time to play it so 5 hours a session and about 15 hours in all slogging away on it.
Being I am a trekite its refreshing I can be captain x on my trusty starship trying tobe a good starfleet offficer from the comfort of my cumfy desk chair.
Or at the dining room of my aunt's place with the well stocked fridge.
I'd imagine if I was in the bar on ds9 or in the holodecks either on that station or on any mission this would be something that I'd do on my downtime it may even be training material for studdy so yeah.
I take this game as a holodeck simulation so yeah if I can live the life like that well good.
I also like the hybrid text/ sound genre of games from this and other twines like trigear and scafold 22 to others like star dew vally which I can play with people or at least which we can relate.
True these aren't real mainstream big titles but I just gave several twines including this to my sighted friend who plays such games.
Another note, for those that want the soundtrack, you can down the brouser version and do that.
Due to how I have my brouser set and such I like to play from the native electron client.
One thing that I especially like is you can't get out of the game window if you go to far you simply can't go any further.
It doesn't loop round but where things like travel are concerned you really don't want it to.

2022-06-28 08:00:01

Hi.
I gave the game a try yesterday, and killed one of my crew members, so I desided to start from scratch again. I'll give the game a try again later today, and hopefully figure out how to get more fuel.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2022-07-07 15:47:18

I can never switch the music off. I switch it off enough for a second it starts again. I read downloaded the game and the same thing happens. Anyone else experienced this?

2022-08-24 21:47:23

Hey guys!
Because no one mentioned it here until now: This wonderful wonderful game just got a new update.
New events and discoveries. Aaaaaaaand there is now an endless mode!

2022-08-26 18:24:01

Can't wait ot try this update.

2022-08-27 01:33:36

This game is a bit Jenkee with voiceover. There seems to be quite a delay in swiping and voiceover going to the next line, and for some reason, it just goes all over the place. I try to go to the beginning of the menu, and somehow end up at the end of it, and vice versa.
Also, in most games, when you make a choice, the phone goes to the beginning of the line after that is done. Or, in narrative games like this, it will simply put you at the beginning of the text continuing the story and not simply the beginning of the line. But for this game, it seems to go into the middle, and so I have to keep swiping left until I find the entirety of The resulting narrative of my choice.

2022-08-27 08:18:59

you should just use the web version, either windows or mac, works fine.

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2022-08-27 15:35:33

Yeah, I bought the windows and iOS versions. I found a whole bunch of settings in the rotor, and I can switch from links to buttons pretty easily on my phone now, which is pretty cool, so I am playing it just as well as, or even better than, I could play it on my computer.

2022-08-28 15:17:03

If you bought the iOS version do you get to played for free on the web version?

2022-08-28 16:12:37

No. The iOS version is on the App Store, and the web version is on the itch store.

2022-08-28 19:08:36

I have looked at the web version however the windows native java app is accessible enough that I don't need to play the web version.
It also works every time and well its fine.
The windows version is a web app and I like it that way but it all works.
All buttons and links are labeled and bar a couple issues which the author fixed damn promptly like almost immediately after I reported them there isn't a reason to use the web version really.
Of course if you want to pull anything out the game like soundtrack and sfx then yeah the web version has that.
The only issue with the windows version is the fact that the installer is just a run and install into a spaciffic app folder which then it runs and thats it.
I'd probably like an innosetup like installer but it doesn't matter I mean its fine.