2022-03-21 23:17:46 (edited by ErionMUD 2022-03-21 23:27:52)

Greetings from the Erion community!

Our last update on Audiogames was in November, and we have lots of new things to share!

* New gods have come to Erion. Feel free to say hello to Merald, Arendella, Zed, and Magda when you are in game!

* We've made significant improvements to game speed. Seriously, log in and check it out if you haven't already, it is much faster!

* You can now use a new command, 'bolt', to permanently bolt crafted items to rooms in your player homes. Any craftable item can be bolted.

* To give more players from around the world the chance to participate in Erion's events, we've added 4 Erion timezones: morning, afternoon, evening, and night. Morning events take place between 4 AM and 6 AM EST, afternoon is 10 AM to 12 PM EST, evening is 16 to 18:00 EST, and night is 20 to 22:00 EST. Pick a timezone that you are most actively online in, and you'll be able to participate in all events in that zone.

* 25+ new room sectors have been added to the game (tavern, inn, castle, graveyard, library, stables, and several others), each with different ambiences ready to be downloaded into your soundpack! Download a new version of the soundpack at this link! http://erionmud.com/blindsupport.php

* The "reminder" command is in! So far there are 3 reminders: events (for which events are in progress and events starting in the next 24 hours), prayers (to remind you to pray), and gardening (a reminder to tend to it). A message will be displayed to you about 2 seconds after you log into the game smile.

* The area Darnok's Keep has been renamed to Darnok's Citadel and completely revamped by our lady Kextra.  Missions to come!

* Bosses in your level range will now drop a random gem the same level as the boss, as well as a random strand of magic!  At a lower chance, bosses may also drop a new item: a soul ember.   Soul embers are the ashes left behind when a powerful soul departs the plane of Erion for the afterlife.  Soul embers, when bound to an item, will expand the number of rune slots the item has by 1.

* New area: Palgrove Gallery, created by Darkbuilder! This area is unique to the game and here you can submit paintings by hanging them in the corridor of contemporary art and others can start a gallery touring mission given by Professor Humbledaub in which you walk through the gallery and pick your favorite submitted painting and give it a like with the command 'like <painting>'!  On the first of each month, the gallery will have an auction and sell the paintings.  Earnings will go to the painters.

* New to the game are also tattoo parlors! There you can create customized tattoos by choosing from a pool of stats, and giving your tattoo a name.

* Geldor the smith in Crafters Forge is having a bad day. Fortunately, anyone whose already completed their apprenticeship in smithing with Kercha might be able to help him out, as well as get a short introduction to crafting keys and unlocking doors.

* New leaderboard for most captives liberated!

* There's been some pretty wild activity going on in the tree of pixies recently. Not only are the pixies a good bit more insulting to anyone who talks to them, but also, they've been playing tricks on innocent travellers. Most recently they've left the tailor Andrim in a decidedly embarrassing position, interrupting an important job he's undertaken, creating a very colourful cote for a sheep farmer's son. Any adventurers of level 40 or above can help Andrim out, earning a very useful item in the process, by undertaking this light hearted, combat free mission.

* The merchant's market place has a new resident, Aurelius the arcane artificer who's set up his mysterious caravan just north of clarity square. Any adventurers interested in learning to paint magical glyphs should probably pay him a visit, though with Aurelius's memory not being what it was, he might need adventurers to gather some components for him before he'll be in a position to share his knowledge. Glyphs are magically traced messages that can be read with 'look glyph' or contemplated, to receive a buff!

* Several new achievements!

* Reeling in a fish now rewards experience!

* Many other new features and updates are waiting for you in game!

Connect at erionmud.com port 1234
See you there!

2022-03-22 00:44:47 (edited by JasonBlaze 2022-03-22 00:48:36)

I know this is wierd, I do love the game, but there are some killable npc like toddlers, little boy, puppys and kittens that makes me uncomfortable, I could just avoid that area, but sometimes things like expedition, and global quest leads me to them. yeah I know this is just a game but still feels so wrong to me, lol. can that somehow be changed? maybe instead of killing them, you could have an alternative way to approach the target. I guess not, but hey, at least I tried to asked big_smile

2022-03-22 00:51:41 (edited by ErionMUD 2022-03-22 01:43:42)

@JasonBlaze

You're not the only one who doesn't like killing innocent mobs haha smile That actually got changed a while ago though. If you are good-aligned, you no longer get sent to kill good- or neutral-aligned targets for quests and expeditions. Instead it'll ask you to spar with them until either you die or your target concedes and declares you the winner.

The area I assume you are talking about, by the way, is Hlua Orphanage. We did mark the children and cute little creatures in that area so they can't be designated as quest targets at all, not even for global quests.

2022-03-22 03:32:36

woa! I didn't know about that! Thank you!

2022-03-22 08:53:56

@2 @3

Me too. Killing innocent people makes me feel bad even though it's just a game

2022-03-22 11:36:10

I don't feel bad. But I generally find myself wishing there was an alternative to killing. Whether monster or innocent or whatever. There are far too few games with non-lethal combat.
HAHA, it would be funny if you could drop fish or other food to make a monster stop attacking you.
I really think that if you think about it a little longer, there are a lot of fun and interesting and challenging ways to create a non lethal way of fighting.

2022-03-22 12:39:12

@Firefly, interestingly enough, none lethal combat and other none lethal options do get used in several missions in the game, as well as in  quests.

For example, in the pixie mission I just wrote, you need to catch pixies without killing them, while in one of the Bandell dwarf missions, various dwarf npcs are put under a malign influence, and you need to knock them unconscious.

the only problem at the moment, is that either using a catch option, or using none lethal combat knocks the target unconscious and so the player is not able to get stuff off the opponent's corpse (that's why in the pixie mission, you catch the pixies rather than fighting them, since you need to retrieve things from them).

so yeah, the game does sort of have none lethal combat, but only in specific places or at specific points where it makes sense to do so.

To be honest, I don't know if I'd want a more permanent none lethal combat option, because at the moment, none combat activities and ways of gaining exp are a unique part of the game in and of themselves, and something which is only going to grow as the game expands with more activities, along with the pilgrimage system, that is why there are actually achievements for getting a character to specific levels without fighting, because combat in the game is just  one option for advancement, and it's intended that there be many others.

While I am definitely in favour of reducing the amount of random slaughtering in the game, EG the fixes to the quest system and the none lethal combat in missions, I like the idea of different avenues for advancement, rather than having the experience of someone wanting to engage in combat being essentially the same as someone who did not, just with a "falls unconscious", at the end of fights instead of killing the enemy.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2022-03-22 14:37:07

Oh, that sounds like a really nice compromise with the different activities!
In that case it would be nice if you could set somewhere that only non-lethal quests are offered. And there should be many more of them.
For example, how about capturing monsters for the zoo?
That would be totally funny.
You would have a zoo as well as the gallery where any player could deliver monsters. HAHAHA and they would only survive in the zoo as long as you brought them food or something like that.
This is just a first draft idea, but something based on that would be fun.

I am so tired about all this: please Kill this, cause it is ugly and evil, stuff.

Basically, I have nothing against good old battling. But it don't always has to be fatal.

2022-03-22 16:35:28 (edited by Dark 2022-03-22 16:37:26)

@firefly, there are actually several things here.

First, capture and none combat missions are more than possible to add more of, there are already some, and likely will be more in the future. There aren't any missions in the zoo yet, but it'd totally be possible to have some missions to catch escaped animals, or maybe find supplies to feed existing animals, the same way we're planning some missions for Hlua orphanage involving crafting toys for the kids there.

I also happen to  know that once the faith system gets added, several of the god's pilgrimages will revolve around none combat activities , and one indeed (which I've written up texts for), involving interacting with monsters without fighting them.
While autoquests and expeditions likely will remain combat heavy, even if the combat is either of the form: "go and kill this evil thingy", or "go and spa with this good/neutral thingy", also bare in mind there are the repeatable junkyards which simply involve running into an area finding pieces of dangerous magical junk and clearing it up, so even if you were trying to play without fighting, you could still get your daily blessing and quest point rewards too.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2022-03-23 02:26:01

There are missions like build a sand castle, or bring animals to feed wyverns using a lasso, etc. The mission doesn't all have to do with killing. Crafting, making boats and tools, liberating slaves. Lots of fun things.

Also in the game bio Leos for an plugin I made for the game. It can help track stats quicker due to not having to send request to the mud to get info where it look at the prompts and remembers it.

If you have any question, send me a tell in game and i can help you out.

End of Post!
Leos signing off.
CFN ID: LeosKhai. (Always looking to fight people)
Discord: leos_khai

2022-03-29 11:52:38

Oh this makes me so happy!
I hated, and I mean h a t e d, killing the orphans. Sometimes I would just lose global quest I could have won, because I couldn't stand killing them.
Love this new change, because I can kill trolls and things all day, but not the bunnies and toddlers.

2022-03-29 11:58:32

OK, somehow I feel sorry for the trolls now too, HAHA!

2022-03-29 12:15:05

@mirage, I'm sorry you didn't know about this fix, it's been in the game for about two years or so I think.
Note that you still will get global quests etc where your sent after rabbits, random children etc, but your object is to spa with them to improve your combat skills, so at the end of the fight you get:

"target slumps in defeat."
And there is no corpse, though as was said above, the toddlers and babies in Hlua orphanage are exempt from being quest targets even in this way.

2022-04-03 15:13:59

It's interesting how different people react differently to stuff. For instance, this being a MUD that feels fairly mechanical (albeit with a lot of options to play with) I won't have trouble killing even innocent NPCs if I have to. I don't put a lot of stock into telling my clump of code to interact in a specific way with another clump of code, after all. I confess I wouldn't have thought to add toggles for playstyle like this without seeing it mentioned.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2022-04-03 15:59:57

@Jayde, myself I'd look at this the other way up.
Rather than saying: "well it doesn't matter because it's just two clumps of code interacting", saying: "Lets think how those clumps of code might matter", gives those clumps of code a bit more personality.

Yes, from a mechanics perspective, there is no difference between a level 5 toddler and a level 5 gremlin, however letting you kill the one and not the other actually makes the players think of the difference more, and makes the game feel more immersive.

This  was one reason I'm really pleased  Erion went with the liberation idea for slaves and prisoners, since even in games like Alteraeon, it always bothered me that you read some npc description of a mistreated slave, and all you can do is kill them, since from a coding perspective, that goblin prisoner really is no different to the goblin guards.

2022-04-03 17:36:19

To me, it doesn't matter, I mean, for like 0.2 seconds, I'm like, but I don't wanna kill a toddler, then I'm like, but it's a game, dummy.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2022-04-03 17:52:21

@Gcw, my point exactly.

If you're asked to kill a toddler in an autoquest, then either you have to really get in to the idea of child murder, or just say "hay its a game!"

of course it is! a game, in practical purposes nothing will happen if you kill that Toddler, heck, even in the game's world that toddler will repop in the area soon enough.

However, the more invested in the game's world and characters  you are, the less like a game it should feel.

You could theoretically just call everything in the game "mob 1", "mob 2", etc and write descriptions of:
"there is a mob here waiting for you to engage in statistical combat with it",

but that would get pretty boring pretty fast.

2022-04-03 18:29:55

yeah, it is just diffrent in perspective. I hope you guys okay with that.
I had a friend who refuses to play because how erion or some other games deal with God for example.

2022-04-03 20:54:19 (edited by Dark 2022-04-03 20:54:50)

@Jason, you're not the only person to have an issue with the hole child murder thing, hence it having been changed a couple of years back.

As to games dealing with "god", well that's a little harder.
Erion doesn't have "god", in the Jewdao/Christian/Muslim sense, but it does have gods, albeit in Erion (speaking as the one who is writing the actual cosmology for the game), the gods are usually the servants or emissaries of more cosmic celestial or infernal powers, who remain nameless and unknowable.

So, not really different from say the works of Tolkien or most fantasy authors on that score, and so probably okay with most religious people who aren't ridiculously dogmatic.

2022-05-23 16:41:25

please make a sound pack with  settings, like in alter aeon. I'm tired of constant setting up again after updates