2021-12-24 08:48:23 (edited by tomi 2021-12-24 08:50:29)

Hello people!

I haven't seen any topics on this created, but I found two new interesting developments. The first is in a better and more playable state perhaps?
The Stardew Valley mod is being created by Shoaib Khan. You can find the website at
https://stardew-access.github.io/
Very cool. This is fresh off the block. December 14th first published, updated on the 20th. Support this one, it looks promising.
The next is this Sims 4 TTS mod. The person pulled out 7700+ objects and got descriptions. What can we do with it? Who knows. Perhaps if more interest picks up and any coding help, it can progress.
https://gametospeech.com/usecase/thesims4
This one is closed beta. I'm not sure how good or well it works since the demo only shows the object recognition feature of the mod. So perhaps no menus, buy / sell mode, ETC.
Still, happy holidays, it is only in recent days that a mass interest in providing mods to mainstream game is picking up, thanks both to advances in AI and people's knowledge on hooking into the games.
update: So the second one looks more like a PHD project over all ( you can visit the originating base URL to see the PHD project.) Perhaps the Sims 4 component of this was turned into a closed beta? I'm not as clear on that. The tech though could provide a baseline for a Sims 4 mod.

Regards:

tomi

2021-12-24 09:55:24

@1 that's one more step taken for A better gaming world, it is A matter of when, not if

"But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's technobrain,
ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker?  Did you ever wonder what
made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him?"

2021-12-24 10:27:21

Oh wow, yeah why isn't people talking about Stardew Valley more. thahts one of the game I really want to play the most. Use to love Harvest Moon to death when I was able to play them when i was a kid.

End of Post!
Leos signing off.
CFN ID: LeosKhai. (Always looking to fight people)
Discord: leos_khai

2021-12-24 11:16:53

I've been trying the Stardew Valley mod for a few days now, it kind of make the game more  manageable. I am able to clean up my farm, plant and harvest my crops without any sighted help. I haven't try mining yet though, not sure of the combat part. Navigation is still a little bit of a  pain to do, since there is no indication if you bump to unpassable object. it will tell you if a stone or trees block your path on the farm though. Town is still hard to navigate as well, there is no audio guide or something that will take you to the market, I think npcs are also  undetectable for now. you could warp to different location with smappy however. there are actualy more mods out there for stardew, it may help us somehow, but I haven't try any.

2021-12-24 11:28:20

Definitely keeping an eye on that Stardew mod.

2021-12-24 12:08:59

Hell yeah, stardew valley seems a game i'd fucking enjoy!

2021-12-24 21:20:26

has anyone tried the sims mod yet

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2021-12-24 22:55:51

From my friend Darrell. Sub to him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp4MCdk1fPU

2021-12-25 13:29:33

Yeah I'm keeping an eye on this Stardew mod

2021-12-25 13:35:25

I dont think, that a mod for sims 4 will make this game playable for us.
This mod is only for audio describing a sim live for streamers, but I think, that building and putting furnitures will be not available for us, but it is my dream to play the sims.

2021-12-25 13:42:17

Dude, my friend's azure pc is worse than mine, but the damn game ran good on his pc.  in mine, the damn game takes 4 or more minutes to open, and even without the mods, just the game, still crashes after the creation of the farm and the character.  and if i choose to skip intro, the game dies right there after pressing ok.  but what the heck.

once upon a time, a beautiful little girl who wore a beautiful red hood.  while she was passing through a forest, she was killed by Captain America.  The end...

2021-12-25 15:51:26

zargonbr wrote:

Dude, my friend's azure pc is worse than mine, but the damn game ran good on his pc.  in mine, the damn game takes 4 or more minutes to open, and even without the mods, just the game, still crashes after the creation of the farm and the character.  and if i choose to skip intro, the game dies right there after pressing ok.  but what the heck.

Very strange. Try rebooting PC

End of Post!
Leos signing off.
CFN ID: LeosKhai. (Always looking to fight people)
Discord: leos_khai

2021-12-25 19:36:30

See if this as for Sims 3 I'd be more interested.

Sims 4 is meh, but Stardew Valley? Hey why nott...hopefully that goes somewhere, I'm cautiously optimistic for that

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2021-12-25 20:26:49

I might have to try the Stardew Valley thing, that sounds like a game I could get into.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-12-25 21:14:06

@11: Check the minimum system requirements.

Great that more modding is being done to increase accessibility. Can anybody explain to me what Stardew valley is? Is it some kind of farm simulator?

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-12-25 21:25:02

Stardew access 1.0.8 was released this morning.

2021-12-25 22:39:08

Hi. This is great, I’ve always wanted to play this.

I might buy the game now, but I wanted to ask, will the mod be able to update itself? Would that be coming in the future?

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2021-12-25 22:48:07

Both of these games are ones that I could get into, especially the sims 4. I've of course heard of Stardew valley and am happy to see that work is being done to make that accessible as well. This is all fun to watch. I haven't got the sims 4, but I would still love to give this gentleman feedback on new features that should be included in the mod to help us out as gamers. For example, when the sims speak, maybe it could read in text what they're saying in simlish among other things. Also, being able to work with items like televisions and computers in your sim's house. Being able to repair them and change channels Etc.

2021-12-25 23:11:08

So as far as Sims 4 vs 3: I do understand how in 4, they took away some of the flexibility with Buy / Build mode, as well as diversity to skin tones. While I think it took them about a decade, a lot of the later expansions have provided back some of the freedom for this (the Skin Tone was just re-added a month ago as a slider-style system.) While 3 would be more complete in terms of classic sim feel, 4 also reduces the complexity with the view / multitasking without having to switch in and out of so many game modes all the time. (viewing / acting upon a Sim.) It looks like modding wouldn't be an issue probably on either, though I do know that Sims 4 uses Python 3.x for this. I also know that in order to play, you need to enable mods in settings / options. There might be a way to set a config flag (or import someone else's starter config to bypass this.) Sighted help would be required to enable the use of mods in the game options themselves.
I found a list of Sims 4 keyboard shortcuts for various modes / views here. Unfortunately I'm not sure what navigation is available in the main menu, since after I launch the game I'm pretty stuck but can OCR the main menu screen. I tried even with an XBOX controller but could not move passed the menu. (The same for Sims 3)
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/controls.php
David's Sims 4 Access Mod is also open source. By this you can check how it interacts with the game. It looks like some type of cloud service is used to get object reading, which is why you're needed to e-mail him first (probably to get an account set up that this Mod would connect to via an API.)
https://framagit.org/DavidLibeau/gametospeech-thesims4
I don't think it would provide menu narration for now, but it's clear to me that his intent is probably to make the game playable. See this Reddit post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/commen … scription/
Onto Stardew Valley. I tried the Mod and got started planting, selling my first batch of seeds. This has been a blast so far. I saw 1.0.8, the fact that this dev puts stuff out on Christmas day is truly a miracle and a good reason to donate on his Patreon. Either way, with ten changes it's a solid update. I'm still hoping it will be easier to move around - part of me wishes there was a way to jump to specific coordinates on the map after you know them. If you type "help" at the second command line window (you need to launch the game not with the same executable but with the modAPI . exe file to get it going,) the mod (Harmony API) this is built on comes with some other useful functions. You can do player_freeze_time to freeze the time, among other things. Some features will let you set health points and such but I don't see a teleporting one. Perhaps some may see a few of the features as "cheating" but this is where there's a borderline between features we need to make the game more easy to play (returning to your bed at night is essential and stumbling around your farm to do it will cause you to lose money if you're not in bed, + you can't save unless you use it) vs features that could be an advantage. I do know this game has a co-op function, but it might be that mod use gets disabled during co-ops, as can be typical of many video games.
I do have both Sims 4, Sims 3. I'm keeping them around because I have a feeling that sooner than later it will join the list of semi-usable modded games. Stardew Valley is much more than just a "Farming" game. You can go into the town, start relationships, visit the mine (and do some mining) + pick up skills. There's interacting with NPCs in the world, and finding about their stories. So while on the outside it may look like something similar to Farmville or whatever, I love the depth that was put into this game to put it beyond that into a world anyone can escape to.

Regards:

tomi

2021-12-25 23:11:09

18, I don’t think there are any subtitles for what they are saying as the language is designed to be interpreted by the player. Where can one get access to this mod?

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2021-12-26 03:10:14 (edited by Stormy 2021-12-26 03:11:46)

I actually got the Sims4 a couple months ago just because I learned that it was moddable. I did a lot of research about the game to try and figure out exactly how it worked in an effort to try and get some playability out of it, but it proved to be a very challenging task without sighted assistance. There's a discord server of Sims modders that I checked out briefly, but most of the mods people seem to be interested in are for changing some of the simpler aspects of the game like adding more content/changing colors of objects. I didn't know how many people would have enough knowledge to help try and make an accessible interface for the game. From what I could make out from the undocumented Python code base, I think it's definitely possible to hook into the low level elements like dialogs and the such and maybe make them speak. We just need people with a thorough understanding of the code since there's zero documentation to speak of. That being said, I never stumbled across any efforts to make an access mod, so I'm looking forward to checking out what exists.

Trying to free my mind before the end of the world.

2021-12-26 03:26:53

Stardew will never be blind playable without cheats. Get CJB Cheats and have a sighted person turn on everything you need (or wait for the Access guy to add compatibility.) I, personally, use the instant catch cheat because fishing literally makes me nauseous (I have half an eye.) When a mechanic makes me sick, I'll cheat past it. That's my personal rule. It's largely a single player game so cheat however much you want. *shrug*

2021-12-26 04:11:55

@22. the mod is in beta state,man

once upon a time, a beautiful little girl who wore a beautiful red hood.  while she was passing through a forest, she was killed by Captain America.  The end...

2021-12-26 04:18:17

you can't just come in here and say a, it won't get playable because of that and bla bla bla. I personally can already do a lot of things in the game, and I already have a big farm. I'm happy about it. Dude, the mod is still in beta, could you even consider that? also cheats don't need sighted people to activate, you can use the debug command to activate whatever you want. more like I just say, fuck, I'll keep playing and reporting and improving the mod instead of saying, wow! It is not playable. and

meet the eternal legend, accessibility group for games and applications in Brazil. main group to bring accessible games to the blind.
official website    
our discord server
youtube channel

2021-12-26 06:39:59

For anyone interested, the debug commands are listed here. Some of these I wouldn't personally do like leveling up skills or XP since that would take away from game dynamics, but warping to shops and locations could come in handy at least until I get to learn a bit more of the map and where coordinates are. Also, I agree - for providing feedback on where object names or tile descriptions are missing, it could be useful to get passed a block temporarily until a possible fix is looked at.
https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Modding:Console_commands

Regards:

tomi