2021-12-22 18:50:12

Hi there.
I'm interested in getting a yubi key.
Is this a good idea?
Does it improve my safety on websites?
Also, can I get a yubi key that works with my computer as well as the phone?
Thanks.

My main interest is tech.
Follow me on twitter if you would like, my username is @stealthy153

2021-12-22 20:15:38

It depends on the website you're visiting. The major drawback for any security key is that not every website uses them, not even all the services that use 2FA use them, although they totally should in my opinion.
There is a Ubikey with an uSB C port and NFC antenna ´, you can use it with your computer and phone that way, I think it's the newest model they have.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2021-12-22 22:33:41

Ok, so:
Only a handful of sites support the Ubikey/the Fido2 standard. Google and anyone using the new webauth, most sites that use newer duo mobile service plans, Github, Twitter and most password managers.
Because of how ridiculously underhyped fido2 is despite the fact it is literally a few fries short of the holy grail of convenience without sacrificing an ounce of security, I would invest in a cheaper yet equally reliable option such as the Solo-key. It supports any site that uses fido2, as well as ssh non-resident keys. Unlike the ubikkey the signed firmware is upgradeable on the solo-key, and the code along with the hardware design is open source. Because of that, outside audits have confirmed its legitimacy and security, whereas Ubikey is another case of having to take their word for it.
Among the major holdouts for fido2, Paypal remains the top one. I have a feeling they have lesser interest in actually strong security practices, since this is the same company that will only allow you 20 (count em, 20) characters in your password. I'm guessing the rationale is that a hacked account will get them easy money in the long-run, since the 7 to 10 days spent processing your several hundred to thousand dollar refund from the hacker's Twitch emote spending spree will no doubt result in Paypal collecting floating interest while, "processing," your refund. Let's cash in man!
So until Paypal gets their shit together, financial security remains stuck in the past.

2021-12-22 22:56:03

@3
I already have a password manager set up.
Is this still really worth it?

My main interest is tech.
Follow me on twitter if you would like, my username is @stealthy153

2021-12-23 04:19:47

@Stealthy: Even more so, as your password manager is very likely to support this, so it's an extra layer of security.

2021-12-23 06:14:30

@3, the solo-key and yubikey are, comparably, equivalent. The Yubikey does support SSH keys, just not on older models, and the yubikey also supports GPG resident keys. The security is questionable since the code isn't open-source though, sadly. But they are very good devices and have very good rep.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github