2021-12-22 14:40:39

i am getting a new laptop for the holidays, which of course will come with windows11. i want to know how good is jaws working with 11, and should i downgrade to 10(wish i could downgrade to XP). what are some of the issues i will face using 11, and what are some good things with 11. btw i will be using jaws2018.

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2021-12-22 14:46:16

Jaws 2018? I doubt that'd work well. I'm an NVDA user but there is a lot of UI changes and that's going to effect an old screenreader version.

2021-12-22 14:57:35

JAWS 2018 is outdated and most likely won't work well with 11. I'm sure 2022 and beyond are optimized, so if you're going to use 11, either upgrade your JAWS version or use NVDA. It's no longer acceptable to stay on really old JAWS versions because Microsoft constantly changes things.

As for 11, I wouldn't worry about it. There are some changes to the start menu that require a little more tabbing, settings has more places where you must hit enter to expand or collapse sections, and the system tray behaves a little differently. It's not worth it unless you really really want it.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2021-12-22 18:48:51

I have no issues with windows 11. for those who claim that it is like the vista days. windows 11 does run better on my machine better than windows 10 has ran on this system. jaws 2022 works great with windows 11. it is not worth downgrading to windows 10 anyway. I would just get used to using windows 11

2021-12-22 18:53:05

thankyou all for the help.....i have to see how much it would be to upgrade my jaws

2021-12-22 22:39:53

Was a past Jaws user. The latest version works with 11, so no problems with that.

73 Wj3u

2021-12-22 22:58:43

JAWS 2021 and 2022 work fine with Win 11, but last time I checked Windows 10 was easier to use and was faster.

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2021-12-23 03:53:57

My personal experience here. Running Jaws 2020, for what that's worth.

Windows 11 is perfectly usable, and most things are fairly intuitive. There'll be a learning curve, but it's not a steep one.

Now, I personally downgraded to windows 10 just yesterday, and I'll tell you three reasons why.

1. When using alt-tab, Jaws was always saying something like "task switching, desktop" followed by gibberish. I have absolutely no idea what the hell that was, and I did try monkeying with it. It's a very small thing, but it grew to annoy me.
2. The start menu is different, and I don't want to have to monkey with third-party alternatives to make it behave more like Windows 10 when Windows 10 was working just fine for me on my old laptop. Specifically, typing into the search box in the start menu made my system lag for some reason, and it wouldn't always even bring up the things I wanted. The windows 10 start menu is perfectly good with me.
3. This one is more personal preference, but still. I use Internet Explorer for a few sites, although I know it's not safe. I generally use it for 3-4 sites in particular, and have Chrome running otherwise for everything else I'm doing. Windows 11 strips IE out entirely; you can't use it unless there's some sort of hackish workaround, and again, not gonna bother. It'll be gone in six months but for now I'm comfy with it. I am just not a fan of Microsoft Edge for whatever reason, and Windows 11 tries really, really hard to get you to use Edge.

None of these things were absolute dealbreakers on their own, and if I'd been told I couldn't revert to windows 10 for whatever reason, I'm sure I would have found a way to cope. But since I did have the option to downgrade, that's exactly what I did. The new laptop, by the way, is zippy, responsive, and has a battery like a champ, and I have it doing about 90% of what I had my other laptop doing (have yet to download some games and NVDA yet, for instance).

But yeah...if you're going to stick with Jaws 2018, you may want to revert to Windows 10 just on principle, since those two will work better together than will Jaws 2018 and Windows 11.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2021-12-23 04:46:52

@8 yeah jaws 2020 was not going to work with windows 11. I am not sure what you wwere expecting when it came to trying to use jaws 2020 on windows 11. Hell I have jaws 2021 in a laptop that has a beta build of windows 11 on it and I would only recmond using 2022 and greater on windows 11

2021-12-23 06:53:54

Well, it's more that Jaws 2020 is the most recent version of Jaws I legally have access to, and my new laptop shipped with Windows 11. So I installed Jaws and ran it for a few days to see if I could stick it. I could, and I did, but I disliked some of the quirks, so I just reverted.

2021-12-23 21:56:44

why not use NVDA? or buy the jaws anual license for $90 or so per year.

2021-12-23 22:22:18 (edited by Chris 2021-12-23 22:23:30)

I agree with 11. If you absolutely insist on using JFW, get the home annual license provided you're in the United States or Canada. It's much cheaper than maintaining an SMA or not maintaining it and being forced to pay for versions you'll never use. Either that or use NVDA. It's more important than ever to keep your screen reader up to date as Windows and other major software changes frequently.

2021-12-24 00:22:00

I too have to agree with @11 and @12 chat is why I partly just use NVDA. I have had to install a few NVDA update with in the last few months.

2021-12-24 02:30:14

I, as a current NVDA user, have to agree with posts 11, 12 and 13. I'm not in the US so my only screen reader that I use is NVDA, for ever.

73 Wj3u

2021-12-24 02:50:29 (edited by stewie 2021-12-24 02:50:50)

Keep in mind that Windows 11 doesn't seem to let you change the audio output devices for specific apps. This might be a problem with certain audio setups, especially if streaming or screen sharing.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2021-12-24 04:41:40

I am happy I have upgraded. I have always used classic shell and I never have to worry about the start menu at least. I am also glad I have not had to face some seriously yucky issues others have had like some of the drivers crashing the system hard and so on. I have been using NVDA for about 10 years almost but of course not everyone will be either satisfied or have things working. You could just upgrade, test and then downgrade but honestly its really much much better to keep things always current if you can do so, for many very obvious reasons.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2021-12-24 05:07:25

one thing is to keep windows 11 on the pc it came with for a good reason

2021-12-24 05:37:25

So I find it ironic that even though this is a thread about another user and whether or not they should use windows 11 or revert to 10, I had three people jump on the "you should use NVDA" or "you should buy the Jaws license" bandwagon. This is unsolicited advice I neither want nor need. To be clear, I use NVDA as a secondary screenreader, but do not like the way it behaves, especially on the internet. I greatly prefer Jaws for most tasks, though I also have great respect for NVDA. Really, the only reason I came back in here was to take note of the fact that, yet again, we have at least a gentle pushing toward NVDA where such was not necessary. Please cut it out, and please trust that if I were having any serious issues with my screenreader, I'd either switch or upgrade. I proved already that I'm perfectly capable of switching operating systems, so I think that should also demonstrate that I'm capable of switching or upgrading screenreaders if I wished.

2021-12-24 06:07:01 (edited by Chris 2021-12-24 06:07:50)

I'm merely pointing out the obvious. Software changes much more frequently now, you need to keep your screen reader up to date or you'll be left behind. If you don't mind paying for JFW upgrades and supporting FS and their anti-competitive business practices, go right ahead. At least with NVDA there's no barrier, unlike JFW where you must shell out more money for the privilege to use newer technologies that the sighted take for granted. That's all.

2021-12-24 06:36:54 (edited by haily_merry 2021-12-24 06:37:33)

Chris is mostly correct, though flaming FS and their business practises, whilst perfectly valid, probably isn't particularly constructive here. The Jaws subscription suggestion is a solid one, and you shouldn't have much of a problem budgeting for it. Also you'll probably be thankful later on, once new updates come in and you can update right away.

2021-12-24 07:37:58

so i stuck with windows10 based on the responses on the post, and others i have asked....i will be upgrading jaws at some point....as for NVDA, yes it has some cool features and add ons, but doesn't move smooth to me, espicially online.....i don't like the way NVDA shows web pages, i get stuck in form fields at times, at times in a form field it doesn't read the text, a lot of unlabled buttons, for me its just a bit clunky and not a smooth user experience.i have been using jaws since my 20s, so maybe i am just use to it, idk but it is definitely my preference

2021-12-24 20:29:11

weird, I prefer the way how NVDA reads the web pages compaired to jaws. I have the issues with the form fields with Jaws to where I had to hack my way around the settings center to disable some stuff. lets not forget how much of a mess jaws is with the settings center,

2021-12-24 21:15:35

@Jayde, For legacy websites that work better in IE Edge has an IE compatibility mode that you can enable for sites, although if you just don't like Edge's UI then I suppose that won't matter much to you.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2021-12-24 22:04:15

The only thing I use IE for now is is an RSS reader. It'll be a sad day when I can't do that anymore.

2021-12-25 10:40:17

Yeah, I'm afraid I'm just not a fan of Edge's UI. Even when I'm forced to stop using IE, which is fine, I'll just go with Chrome and call it good. I know about the compatibility mode though, so that's a cool thing they've done there.

As far as Jaws's settings center, it's huge but it's also got a search box in it, and that's definitely pretty handy. I don't find that I have to dig through it too long to get at the stuff I want. Jaws is bloated, though, there is no doubt of that. And yes, I disapprove of their general practices, but I prefer the UI to NVDA, hands down, for most things, so it's sort of an issue of convenience vs. morality, which is, of course, the case in most scenarios.