2021-12-22 14:38:48 (edited by tdani 2021-12-22 14:39:41)

Hey everyone!
I have a laptop that can be turned into a tablet, for which I got a stylus. And I want to know if it's possible to totaly blind use a stylus on a tablet, for example, to draw?

2021-12-22 14:53:44

I mean I don't see a reason why this would be inherently impossible, though no software to my knowledge allows for this. You might have more luck using the stylus to issue touch-based commands, but I don't really get the point about drawing.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2021-12-22 16:50:13

2, He can draw to a basic extent as far as I know, he's a fellow hungarian and if my informations are still correct, he has a little vision left.

2021-12-22 20:33:37

I don't see why you couldn't. I mean, I don't know how that kind of software works, but assuming you know the dimensions of the space you're restricted to, because I assume there's stuff outside of the drawing space like buttons to control things about the app, notification area and so on, then it should work like drawing on anything else. Making a swoopy motion on paper with a pencil is pretty much the same thing, barring differences in texture and thus object movement across the surface naturally, as making a swoopy motion on a tablet with a stylus.

I'd think ideally what you'd want as a blind person is something that could go full screen, I mean truly full screen. For example, suppose you had an app where, once it's loaded, you could hit the power and volume up buttons at the same time, and the entire screen would be available to draw on. Then if you hit them again, that area would shrink and the app controls and all the other stuff would come back. I don't think anything can do that, which is why I said you'd be restricted to some sort of area within the screen. But like I said, I'd assume that within those boundaries, yeah, drawing with a stylus would be more or less like drawing with anything else.

I don't have a stylus to test it, I don't even think my wife has a drawing app for her tablet where I could use my finger like a stylus. But I don't see why it wouldn't work. Logically it has to, the stylus doesn't know you're blind so as long as you're in the drawing area, it should interpret the movements like it would for anybody else.

2021-12-23 22:48:24

I'm not sure how compatible/configurable it is, but you could also try looking into haptic styluses.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer