2021-12-16 17:43:40

Howdy folks. Just wanted to see if any of you have ever played a tabletop wargame and Wh 40k specifically. I'm fairly new to the hobby side of Warhammer, but I already have a few ideas on how to make the whole process of measuring distances a bit easier. Still, I'd like to get somebody else's perspective and experience if any.
I figured since this wasn't strictly a post about audiogames the off topic room would be the best place for it, but feel free to move it elsewhere if necessary.

2021-12-16 21:30:59

I haven't played 40K but have always been curious about it. Watching this thread with interest. I've always thought I might enjoy hex-based games a little more, but haven't had occasion to try them either.

2021-12-17 13:21:54

Yeah, I've been a fan of the lore for a few years, but only recently started getting into the game/hobby side of things.
Its definitely an expensive hobby though lol. I just spent about 1k on my first army alone and its still missing some odds and ends, plus other stuff I have to buy for the game in general.
I've already got some tentative games lined up so looking forward to that.

2021-12-17 16:04:51

Yeah, from what I know about war games...They're pricy... And you'll probably be spending money from now until the near future... Unfortunately, I do not have as much experience, either, so... Their's that...

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2021-12-18 13:30:20

Yeah, its probably a hobby that shouldn't be started if you don't have a decent cash flow.
Luckily work's going great for me atm so I can indulge in plastic crack as some folks call it.
If anybody is or was ever interested in playing something like Warhammer feel free to pm me and I'll keep you updated with what I learn as I go along.

2021-12-18 19:49:19 (edited by Ian Reed 2021-12-18 19:53:26)

I used to play Dawn of War, a Warhammer 40K real time strategy.
The original game came with 4 playable races, though only a single player campaign for the space marines.
The races were Space marines, Orks, Chaos, and Eldar.
Expansions came with other campaigns and more races.
I still enjoy listening to quotes of some of the characters.
The space marines and Eldar were my favorite to play.
Here are some quotes from the space marine librarian who during the single player campaign became corrupted by Chaos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf_3ZTp4eG4
Some of my favorites are:
"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
"Knowledge is power, hide it well."
"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."
"There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt."

And from the space marine Force Commander, which is a hero unit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgs29veFrdE
"Walk softly, and carry a big gun."

And from the Eldar Banshees, which were a basic infantry unit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmR4I94qpTg
"Many are called, few survive."

And from the Eldar Farseer, which is the primary hero character for the Eldar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcR2_N3WHfM
"Orks approach! They are a cancer, we are the cure."

I played a ton of Warcraft, Warcraft 2, and StarCraft when I was younger.
A few things I liked about Dawn of War that set it apart from those, besides its very unique set of races, culture, and history;
were that it let you hold shift to give a sequence of commands, like telling a peasant to first repair a building, then build a power generator, then build a barracks.
And squads not only had health, but also morale, which meant the enemy could focus on depleting your morale rather than your health to get your squad to flee and give up cover, also taking more damage in their fear, which provided an alternate strategy.
And it had you train squads of units, rather than individual units.
A squad could be reinforced with additional units to make it stronger, or equipped with different weaponry to make it more effective against heavy armor, vehicles, or morale.
I think squads are an especially good idea for an audio RTS, since it is important to keep the number of unit sounds on the map low so players are not overwhelmed by too much noise, and so they can manage commanding them individually.
And it had terrain that acted as light, medium, or heavy cover, as a better defensive position for your squad.

I wish I could play an audio RTS with some of the same voice acting and campaigns.
I would also enjoy reading more about each race and unit, or campaigns and lore.

~ Ian Reed
Visit BlindGamers.com to rate blind accessible games and see how others have rated them.
Try my free JGT addon, the easy way to play Japanese games in English.
Or try the free games I've created.

2021-12-19 21:34:36

@Ian Reed
Yeah, Dawn of War always looked super fun and has one of the most memed about space marine chapters in Warhammer fandom, I.E. the Bloodravens.
If you want to read more about the lore and the like, check out the black library novels and novelas on audible. Everything from the Horus Heracy which is one of the foundational moments in Warhammer 40k, to a metric shit ton of series focused on space marines.
Also, the Warhammer wiki is full of stuff to read and you can find even more lore videos on Youtube. One of my personal favorites is Majorkill since he covers Warhammer lore in a pretty irreverant and comedic way, but still actually teaches you about the different events and characters of the universe.
One of the things I love about Warhammer is how over-the-top and insane it is. Lots of people get hung up on how grimdark it is and take it waaaay too seriously.
I mean, it is grim/dark af and it does have some pretty serious moments. At the end of the day though, the original creators of Wh and the lore basically just took all the fantasy and sci-fi tropes they could find, tossed it into a pot, and turned it up to 1000 and got the end result that is Warhammer.