2021-05-28 23:40:54

I made this topic to ask developers on this forum if anyone would be willing to make a good, stable, sapi5 implementation of DecTalk 4.60? I am willing to pay whoever would offer to do this through paypal. If anyone is interested, please send me a PM on this forum. I would like this both for personal use, and to give away to people for free, to use with any sapi5 applications, once done, I would pay the developer with payPal. thanks.

2021-05-29 00:57:37

Why though? Isn’t there already a SAPI5 version of it?

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2021-05-29 01:47:36

This is illegal and anyone with the knowledge to do it is in a position where they probably can't.  Just saying.

I understand that this is your crusade and that you're not going to listen.  But gees.  At least have the sense to not be on a public forum blatantly admitting that you want IP theft to happen if you're really not going to let this go.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-05-29 03:04:21

I suppose if we're talking about legality and words written in official documents, it's true that Phonics technically owns Dectalk. Morally and therefore legitimately however, the real owners are the late Denis Klatt and the people who open sourced it. That's how I view it in my head. The word of law is of no personal consequence to me if what I'm doing isn't morally wrong. I stopped using Eloquence a long time ago because I refuse to support Code Factory's higher ups, whomever that might be after the recent acquisition of Nuance Com. In that same light, I don't particularly care if Dectalk is the intellectual property of Phonics or not. Everyone knows by now that I have constantly stuck it to the big corporation's, and although my temperament has grown milder as I get older and I'll never fight any user on this forum over this by any means, my stance against them has never and will never change. To be fair, I don't think Phonics will particularly care if someone uses the Dectalk source code given how old it is, but saying they really do care and don't want people to do anything with it, it's all the same to me. Legally they are well within their right to take action against whomever they so choose when it comes down to the source, but morally they don't have anymore rights to the code than you or I. I don't care what a peace of paper says; Phonics does not own Dectalk anymore. I'd never use Dectalk myself because I've gotten used to ESpeak, but if anyone else wants to mess around with the source code, I won't be one of the users jumping in to call them out.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2021-05-29 03:12:49

Yeah but like, the piece of paper could cost the developer doing this a lot more pieces of paper. I think that's all Camlorn was pointing out.

2021-05-29 03:25:20

No, it's worse than that.  This is the kind of thing that destroys careers if your name gets attached.  it doesn't even particularly matter whether or not you get sued.  Getting sued is a whole lot of icing on that particular cake, but it's still just the icing.  Once you're known as someone who is willing to engage in IP theft, your employment prospects in a field that relies entirely on you producing IP plummet.

Look. I get it.  I'm not making an ethical claim.  I think that a lot of stuff about IP law is broken and that the Eloquence/Dectalk story is a perfect example of why.  But that doesn't change that it's the law, and that idealistic "in spirit so-and-so owned it" stances are, you know, illegal.

Maybe someone here wants to risk it.  Maybe someone here has the anonymity necessary, or lives somewhere where this isn't a concern, I dunno.  But this is thread 2 in which "well patents, pfft" is the stance we're taking and just come on.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-05-29 05:11:54

If I was good at programming, I would just up and write it myself but unfortunately I have never been good at that stuff. And I'm with camrin, Fonix doesn't own decTalk, Dennis Klatt owned it. And Roger Dudley supposedly current CEO of the seemingly dead speech-fx-inc won't even get back to me so who knows... Maybe his linkedin profile is also dead?