2021-05-02 11:00:47

Okay, a serious update for once, since with the no video Jam competition, the Agnet staff have been working extra hard this week to create a barrel of updates, to make people aware of some of the awesome new games available.

What do you mean updates don't come in barrels! They do totally come in barrels! No not like rum or wisky or gunpouder, like a barrel of laughs or a barrel of fun, these are virtual metaphorical barrels, just like all those thousands of barrels which measure the worlds oil supply, since if those were real we'd be looking at the barrelpocalypse!

No! No virtual and metaphorical trees were cut down to make the site updates barrels, these barrels are made entirely of virtual and metaphorical renewable materials.
Hold on a minute, in the world of virtual and metaphoricalness, I can just create all the virtual and metaphorical trees I want, and thus create all the virtual and metaphorical barrels I want! so yes, they are made of virtual and metaphorical trees! virtually and metaphorically cut down by virtual and metaphorical woodelves (far more efficient than actual cyber elves), rolled down a virtual and metaphorical river (after being cleansed of virtual and metaphorical hobbits), then corked completed and finally filled with actual real site updates.

Yes! of course real site updates can fit inside a virtual and metaphorical barrel! and if you don't shut up, I'll get donkey kong to chuck one of these virtual and metaphorical barrels at you and you'll see how real they are then!
Hold on a minute? are you real?
Actually, who the hell am I talking to anyway?
Maybe nothing is real, maybe everything we think is real is just the barrel pulled over our heads to hide us from the real.

Now, do I want to open the red barrel or the blue barrel. Well, a blue barrel is like a blue bottle, accept a lot bigger, so that doesn't sound like a good idea, but red barrels have a tendency to explode, which also doesn't sound like a good idea, and of course, if either of these barrels is really really and if the person I'm talking to about barrels isn't really real is another question!

Look, why don't we just barrel on with the site updates and I'll get back to you when I've decided whether I exist or not, after all, I keg, therefore I barrel!

Updates by dark:

Fixed formatting mistake on Manamon 2 entry.
E.X.O: entry, description and links.
Rampage: Entry and description.
Fixed developer info for Slender lost vision, dragonpong  and March massacre.

Updates by Jack:

Retrolympics: entry, description and links.

Updates by Pitermach:

Evil satellites: entry, description and links.
Fixed links and updated developer info for skate scape, Operation blacksquare, cyclepath, and Road to rage I, fires of war.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-05-02 11:59:26

Hi Dark,

My name is André Filipe Silva and I was born in the USA. However, I come from a Portuguese background.
I would like to point out something that you may have forgotten to do. You may have forgotten to make a DB entry for E.X.O!  What does this game involve, exactly? What is the goal of this game? Could you solve this issue, please?
Best wishes,
André

2021-05-02 12:19:52 (edited by Dark 2021-05-02 12:27:05)

@Andre, there is! a page for E.X.O, Find it here.

For some reason, its not showing in the dropdown list, neither is s.E.A, I suspect because the periods are interfering with the names, but both games have entries and descriptions, find them under shiftbacktick's games.

I'll drop the webmasters an email and see if this can be fixed.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-05-02 12:49:30 (edited by defender 2021-05-02 12:51:06)

Hey awesome work all!  This is a great haul for the week haha.

@Dark
A nice job with the entry for Exo, but I feel I should mention that I believe Shift does prefer they/their/them rather than he/his/him.
Worth asking directly to make sure of course but I'm pretty certain.

2021-05-02 13:05:34

@Defender, hmm, wasn't aware of that, but its an interesting issue, given that "them" and "their", is also a pleural pronoun, so usually gets used on game entries to refer to games developed by multiple people, and I really don't like referring to a person as an it.

This is why I really wish we could start using ze and zir, or something like that.

For the time being though, it was easy enough to rewrite the description so as just to not need a pronoun anyway.

2021-05-02 13:18:21

@Dark, I got it!
You tried to talk to Mercilla who, as we all know, lives in Kiarre.
However there's an inpassable virtual barrier that prevents us from going from our world to Kiarre, or anywhere else in manamon world.
So, no wonder she didn't answer you.
She didn't see and hear you, first of all.
And you saw that barrier and wondered whether something is behind it.
Now you know that Kiarre is behind the barrier.
Why do I know this- you ask?
I'm actually a mage ghost who managed to pass through the barrier.
My name is nightmara and I know many spells from many different worlds, like altera eon and manamon.

2021-05-02 13:38:11

Oh, one more thing before I forget.
I'm currently speaking in-character, my previous post was out of character.
Therefore, if you would like to say something to my out of character self, do it as ever, but write nightmara instead of mara.
From now on, if you see the word nightmara followed by a colon, that means the post is out of character.

Hope you enjoy!

2021-05-07 18:50:07

I hate to be this man, but I start to suspect that my submissions are deliberately ignored.
I thought that staff had their RL-life stuff going on so I of course haven't complained. But when I see the update from 05/02, and I re-posted my submission on the 26Th of April...

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2021-05-08 00:27:10

@2:

I hope you found the entry for E.X.O. here and enjoy your time in the game!

@defender:

Thanks for being a good ally! I'm quite lenient about my pronouns, but I do go by they/them at home and the day job.

@Dark (and other site contributors):

Thanks so much for the awesome write-ups for our jam games! Yours for E.X.O. is quite complimentary and I appreciate it. I think that, of the ones lacking entries still, Binora definitely deserves one when folks have the time.

I'm sorry if my stylized titles are hard on your hands or software here. smile Originally S.E.A. was just Sea, but I ended up stylizing it for a few reasons. For E.X.O. I wanted the title to imply a shared universe. Honestly I won't be offended if we casually drop the periods and caps on the forum!

2021-05-08 15:08:23

@nuno: I've just seen your submition. Unfortunately on my end I haven't been able to get the chinese games to run, I will be happy to try again though. Lately I've been playing a lot of text-based games (choice of games and A Freshman's Adventure).

2021-05-08 21:45:57

Its fine @Aaron. I am a simple man, for me no response means ignorance. Its yoru database and you're free to decline submissions, but atleast say so.
Shall you need any help with 1942 please ask.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.

2021-05-09 02:12:00

@shiftBacktick, glad you like the description. While I do try to make all db game descriptions positive, since they are intended as promotional and informational pages not exclusive game reviews, this is manifestly easier in some cases than others.

with the titles, it should be an easy fix if I can get hold of the site webmasters, since we've had similar issues before, one reason I didn't think it would! be an issue. Unfortunately it needs fixing now before the titles can be reedited, so hopefully the webmasters will get to this soon.

I did think about Binora. At the time I was having major problems with the control scheme as I said in the no video jam thread, but I'll check the controls on the Itch.io page.

@Nuno, I'm afraid my problem with 1942 and other chinese games is the same as Aarons, simply that they are dam difficult to run and translate, heck, when I last tried installing ap locale, it messed up my computer quite badly.

Indeed, up until JGT I had many of the same problems with Japanese games as well, and still have not got Ap locale to work.

All of the above games took me at most half an hour to do writeups for, and likely the same for Jack and Pitermach, since all that was needed is running and playing them.

2021-05-09 05:03:31

@dark, strange, I'm pretty sure app locale isn't supposed to harm your computer in any way, though I use locale emulater and find it works fine.
sorry for going slightly off topic, but @nuno, not sure if you know, but the links to your guide are broken.

2021-05-09 09:58:22

@Dark, AppLocale is obsolete and it should not be used anymore!
@Kavya which ones?

2021-05-09 12:22:51

@Nuno the once to your playing chinese game guide.