2021-04-19 22:32:09

Hi.
I have a question about USB bootable usb drives.
I am going to reinstall windows 10, (my pc is acting strange) and I don't want any bloatware with the install, so I'm going to do it via USB drive.
my question is, if I plugged a bootable USB drive into my pc then turn it on, would it automatically boot from the drive?
or do I have to go to the boot menu as normal? this is my first time installing from bootable USB drives.
thanks.

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2021-04-19 23:08:57

Likely not, so you would have to access the boot menu.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-19 23:31:24

You'll have to access the boot menu during POST - how to do it will depend on your computer's manufacturer. It's typically one of the F keys.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2021-04-20 00:20:21

oh ok. because once when I had a usb device connected to the pc wile startup it said that an os was not found and press alt +ctrl +del.
I mite have seen something else, but thanks.

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2021-04-20 04:58:15 (edited by defender 2021-04-20 04:59:53)

Actually, you can now go into Uefi boot chooser without knowing the right F key, right from within Win 10.  It's pretty cool!

1. Click the Start menu and select Settings.
2. Select Update and Security.
3. Click Recovery.
4. Under Advanced startup, click Restart now. ...
5. Select Troubleshoot.
6. Choose Advanced options.
7. Select UEFI Firmware Settings.
8. Click Restart to restart the system and enter UEFI (BIOS).

Remember to hit win+ctrl+enter as soon as the drive boots, because you should get narrator right away, even for the partition formatting part.

2021-04-20 05:08:11 (edited by Nikola 2021-04-20 05:09:13)

@5 interesting. Did you try this? I wanted to try it, but the last time I did when I rebooted into the advanced startup menu Narrator wasn't available. Pressing ctrl windows enter just restarted my PC, which I assume is because it treeted it like an enter press. Although Windows 10 updates often, so maybe something changed there. I also believe this boots you into the BIOS / UEFI as it says, thus it's a lot harder from there to change the boot device without sighted help compared to going directly to the boot menu.

2021-04-20 08:11:52

Things you were told about UEFI boot menu are correct.
However, unlike prior versions, in Windows 10 you can use the Reset This PC option from Settings. You can choose between keep your files or remove everything.
This option usually does not install the OEM bloatware. Unfortunately it installs many bloatware built into Windows 10 (these mostly annoying UWP apps), but this bloatware is installed from a bootable USB drive anyway.
The Reset This PC option is in Settings\Update and security\Recovery.

Hope it helps!

Sorry for my bad English. I'm from Argentina and my level speaking this language is low.

2021-04-20 14:17:48

@5, thanks, but a question.
after restarting into the bios, can you just choose boot menu, or do you have to press a key or something?
because I have to tell the sited person what to do and I don't wanna tell them rubbish.
thanks.

2021-04-20 14:52:10

That sounds like it would put you in the UEFI rather than the boot menu. These are separate, and while you can change the boot order from there, it's a lot harder than to just do it from the boot menu. First, the settings don't save in the boot menu, so if you choose to boot from a USB drive, it won't expect that drive on the next reboot. Secondly, there are only so many options, and enter setup is usually the last one, so even if you don't know which option to choose, you'll hit it in three or four tries max.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-20 16:20:18

@7 they don't want to reset the pc. they want to reinstall windows. I don't recomend anyone to use the reset this pc option as weird driver issues can crop up. plus reinstalling windows is going to be easier anyway.

2021-04-20 16:26:18

You won't get weird driver issues from the reset this pc option. What you will get is manufacturer bloatware because it's in the recovery image on a hidden partition. To stop that, burn the windows image on a USB drive and install that way. Then you only have Microsoft bloatware to contend with.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-20 17:12:52

211, that's what I'm going to do.
but, one question though. if I was to boot from the usb drive and enter the setup and the computer was to restart, would it continue with setup?
thanks.

2021-04-20 17:19:45

Enter setup means enter the UEFI. That is not the option you want. You want the option that is the name of the drive. SO for instance, mine would say Kingston Data Traveler 3 and it may also have the name of the image that the drive contains.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-20 17:23:03 (edited by defender 2021-04-20 17:29:41)

Yeah so if the boot menu is easier to do independently and you don't have help, it definitely seems like a better option for some people then based on what GCW is saying.
I managed to use the UEFI method in 2 minutes with Aira's free plan, but if you don't want to/can't do that, and you don't mind some trial and error than go for it.
Also since sometimes UEFI can be easier or harder to use depending on how yours is laid out (mine was easy) you may want to just avoid the issue entirely and go with the boot menu like GCW was suggesting.

2021-04-20 17:25:28

@11 interesting, I had a friend who did have driver problems after he did the reset this pc option some time ago.

2021-04-21 08:16:07

@10, I personally had no driver issues specifically for using the Reset This PC option. Your friend probably had driver issues due to the danbd Windows 10 habit of downloading from Windows Update driver updates as “quality updates” instead of optional ones by default, and not having an easy way in the UI to hide a specific update if you don't download a troubleshooter for this, compared to prior Windows versions.

@11, that depends on how the manufacturer set the recovery image. In any case, there's also the option to download the image to reset the PC from the Internet instead of using local cached copies.

Sorry for my bad English. I'm from Argentina and my level speaking this language is low.