2021-04-15 18:15:46

Hi guys,
Every time I launch Quentin C's GameRoom, I get the following error.
---------------------------
Fatal error
Unable to initialize application environment.

Error code: -4
OK   
I've checked that MalwareBytes isn't interfering (added exceptions for the client), ran it as admin, and re-installed it. No luck. It happened completely out of the blue, and I've been able to use the client on this computer before. Any suggestions?

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2021-04-15 18:30:50

In your quentin c folder, there should be a file called debuglog.txt (or something like that).
Try to run the client, then copy the contents here. That way, I might be able to tell you what's wrong.

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-04-15 20:51:48

The error log wasn't up-to-date, but I'm running the beta version which works now.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2021-04-16 21:00:52

Hi, the main version works as well, but you have to choose unsecured server for reasons that are out of the developer's hands.
However, the secured connection is working in the Beta version which is very stable now I dare to say, but the only problem it gets updated very often so you'll have to keep updating it manually.
You can read more about the unsecured connection here:
https://qcsalon.net/en/forum1000000/topic73024

“If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you’ll most certainly be right.”

2021-04-16 21:31:13

@Marina7, The thing is, I didn't even get the opportunity to select the server to use because the error appeared before then. It also played a couple tones through the PC speaker. It reminded me of the error you would get if you were to press Ctrl+arrows in an empty list. For whatever reason, the beta version works. I'm not sure if it's because an external file QCG was trying to access was missing or corrupted, or if it's  because I restarted my system, and only then my antimalware exceptions registered, or what. It coincideswith the recent installation of MalwareBytes on my system, so I'm not sure if it would be out of the question to suggest that something wasn't playing nice between QCG and MalwareBytes.

2021-04-16 23:46:05 (edited by Nikola 2021-04-16 23:47:47)

Exact, when you get this error you can't access the login dialog at all.
This error can actually be caused by many things, but most often the client can't access it's QCGC folder in app data. I'm not sure what this particular error code means though, the developer might have a better explanation.
The beta client is pretty much re written, so it works, but in addition to that it's also portable.
Try going to your user folder, going to app data, then roaming, and checking if the QCGC folder is present there, and also if it has the sounds folder. If not, try reinstalling the client.
In the past, there could also be a problem if your windows username has non alfanumeric characters, but since you said it worked in the past that shouldn't be the problem here.
Edit: Ah, you did already reinstall, so  you can disregard that. You could try installing into a different directory though.

2021-04-17 03:51:55

hello
Where I can find beta client? Or you talking about web version?

let's rock!

2021-04-17 04:40:45

hi,
you can download beta from the following link, note that it gets updated so often, but the download link always the same.
http://qcsalon.net/autodl/qcgc-v3-beta.zip
and the topic discussing the beta:
http://qcsalon.net/en/forum1000000/topic76452
good luck.

"Stay hungry, stay foolish."

2021-04-17 09:39:44

hello
@8, thanks

let's rock!

2021-04-17 10:23:29

Ah, great to see that they're actively developing version 3 of the client. Wht is new there? Are there already estimates of when it'll be released?

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-04-17 11:32:40

The topic Fawaz linked to describes everything new and is a good read for anybody planning to test.
There's no estimated release date so far.