2021-04-13 06:49:39 (edited by Jayde 2021-04-13 06:53:54)

Hi, folks,

Here's a short story I wrote a little while ago. And by short, I do mean that. You should finish it in just a couple of minutes.

I've written this thing very meticulously. Almost every word is important for something. Read it carefully. Let me know what you think.

Trigger warning: gun violence, suicide, potential mental health/depression

Overload

6:47 a.m.

She wakes all at once, gone one moment and here the next. Sitting up. Feet flat on the cool floor. Eyes opening. Little sizzles of electricity dancing in her head. Mouth gaping in a yawn.. Eyes flicking to the clock, knowing what she will see, not seeing it, but seeing it anyway. Quarter to seven. Time to wake the children.

She turns on the radio in the kitchen first, the same way she always does. Elegant fingers twist the dial, seeking, finding. Rock music. Something by Aerosmith. Was it the same song playing when the SUV flipped, in the last moments before the sparks of life left her brain? She could remember, but doesn't care.

Back upstairs, feet thumping on the wooden treads, making no effort to be quiet. Her long fingers knock on first one door, then another. The third falls open almost before she can touch it, exuding a puff of hot air redolent of teenage sweat and angst. Moments later, two tousled heads appear. The third she does not see.

"Wake up, Steven," she calls. "It's time for school."

Little feet pattering down the stairs into the sound of George Thoroughgood. Smoky voice crooning, "who do you love", laid atop two shriller ones arguing over who gets to pour the milk. On her left, a male groan, a snarking, sobbing breath. "I'm not going."

She enters into his world then. Dirty socks, a half-eaten slice of pie from the night before. Weird art on the walls; she'll catch hell from the landlord when they move out, but they're all here now, so it doesn't matter. His smell is thick and noisome in her nose. She moves toward his bed, time ticking in her head.

"Come on, Steven," she says, and her voice is almost a whisper. She perches on his bed, straight-backed and stiff-kneed, as if about to spring up again. She can't relax, even though she wants to. He recoils, a hump covered in blankets against the wall, back to her. "Today can be better than yesterday. But you have to try."

"No. it's not the same. It's not right. It'll never be better again," he mumbles. But he knows she won't go away until he gets up. He knows this routine as well as she does. Every day the steps are a little different, but the dance is essentially the same. She rises even as he heaves himself out of his blankets, brushing past her almost roughly on his way to the shower. This is a battle she wins. She can go downstairs now. She can flinch at the sting of his words once his back is turned. But she's trying. She's trying so hard.

7:53 a.m.

She gives each of the twins a hug before they leave. The love she feels seems to swell within her as she clutches their little bodies to her angular frame, the same as she always does. They hug her back; no hesitation, no judgment in their eyes when they smile up at her. In the background, Bad Company and the ill-tempered hum of the microwave as Steven heats up last night's pie. She could argue with him, but what's the point? She won't win this one. Kendall and Kaitlyn are out the door, skipping hand in hand down the driveway and up the sidewalk to the bus stop. It will come in six minutes, perhaps seven, and take them away, the same as it always does. And she will miss them as she rattles around in the house, and she will welcome them home when school lets out and the bus brings them back to her. Steven only walks, seeming to leave the same way he arrives, in a plodding shuffle. Not caring if he is noticed. Not wanting to take up space in a world he can't seem to come to grips with anymore. She wants to walk with him, has even said so, but he always looks aghast, turns his head away, shovels food into his mouth so that he doesn't have to say that dreaded word, that "no" which has slammed so many doors between them in the last few months. She is not equipped to deal with silence where once there was laughter; every day, a few more pebbles slide out of the reality she once knew. They warned her that it would probably happen. Yet, she is frustrated that she does not comprehend this new, moody, sulky man-child where her eldest once stood. Does he even go to school when he leaves? She could follow him, but what would happen if he noticed her? That door between them would be a wal, forever after. Four would become three, for whatever time they had left, fleeting though it might be.

Steven grunts, struggles a knapsack onto his back, barges out through the door. He doesn't say good-bye. Pearl Jam sings him out: "I wish I was the full moon shining off a Camaro's hood."

She lets the radio play on. It fills up the quiet. Dishes need washing. The table needs wiping down; one of the twins left a puddle of milk where her cereal bowl once rested. Chores let her forget the thing she fears is coming.

Time passes; she could keep track of its progress, it would be easy. But what is the point? This fatalism is unlike her, but she is too distracted to notice.

11:21 a.m.

Something on her hip is vibrating. Her phone. She plucks it up, says hello. It is a woman's voice, sounding shocked, terrorized but professional. "Is this Amanda Hilliard?"

"Speaking."

"Ms. Hilliard, there's been...an accident."

Something cold slimes down her back and her legs get weak. In the background she can hear a big, boomy piano riff as she folds into an armchair. "Oh god. What's happened?"

"It's your son. Steven. He--" The professional shocked terrorized woman breaks off. The radio is saying "Mother doesn't understand it" and her mind flails for a song title. It doesn't come as readily as it usually does. Circuits busy. Try later.

The voice in her ear is back. "Ms. Hilliard, I need you to stay right where you are. Officers will be arriving very soon to bring you to the station. We have to talk in person."

"I don't like Mondays," she says. A weird cross-patch in her head. She can smell something astringent, very faintly, like frying plastic. "But I'll be here."

Her phone dies in her hand. Forgot to charge it the night before. Not like her.

Whatever she thought she had been expecting, it could not have been this.

They come less than two minutes later. Big burly men who usher her to a car and drive away. Nobody turns off the radio. The Boomtown Rats finish their song, but no one is there to hear.

Down at the station, she meets the shocked-terrorized-professional woman; beauty-shop pretty and full of sympathy and something that might even be a professional sort of second-hand grief.

She learns what there is to learn. Steven hadn't gone to school...not to his own, at least. He'd managed to get his hands on a gun--dear god, how had that happened? She is shown a picture of the twins, heads cracked open like eggshells, brains clotted inside. She can see Steven in the edge of the shot, face on asphalt where he fell, the suggestion of a ruined windpipe. "forensic evidence suggests that Steven shot himself after killing Kendall and Kaitlyn. Ms. Hilliard, I'm so sorry."

In her head, that song goes on and on, skipping and sliding in bursts and recursive loops. Nobody should've gone to school today; she should've made them stay at home. She can see no reasons because there are no reasons. What reason do you need to die?

They are looking at her again. She realizes that they are expecting her to speak. But the only words her failing mind can muster are the same ones she spoke before. "I don't like Mondays." And then she manages to find a coda to this thought, ghastly under the circumstances. "I wanna shoot the whole day down."

That smell is stronger now, melting wires and ozone. She knows they can't smell it. She knows it's only in her head. The electricity is back. It's making her twitch. Her thoughts are breaking down. Full system shutdown is imminent. Words become sounds. Sounds buzz. The buzzing breaks down into electrical impulses, and from there to bytecode. Four becomes zero.

The silicon chip inside her head is switched to overload.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2021-04-13 09:49:57

Interesting and pretty creepy indeed.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2021-04-13 11:46:47

Woww

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2021-04-13 12:13:06

I'm not good with reading comprehension, but that was good. I like the close detail to everyone's relationship to each other in the family. You don't just get to see the relationship between the main character and each side character, you see the relationships between 2 side characters, making it easy to follow and very immersive.

2021-04-13 12:23:19

Cool, but the foreshadowing could have been more subtle IMO. I called the ending even before I got ten seconds in.

2021-04-13 13:46:32

The first version of this short story had almost no foreshadowing, and almost nobody got where it was going. I had people thinking it was about a woman who was high. I had people thinking it was just another gun-violence story with really weird imagery. I had people criticize me for trying to be pretentious. So I stuck in some hints, and yes, they're obvious, because I figured that even if you see the end coming, sort of, it still might gut-punch.

2021-04-13 14:16:50 (edited by Munawar 2021-04-13 16:22:11)

To be fair, I do live in the US and this sort of thing is pretty obvious to people who live here because of how many mass shootings we have. Not to mention we had another school shooting yesterday.

If you're from a country where this sort of thing isn't commonplace--where you actually have sensible gun laws--it might not be so obvious.

2021-04-13 15:15:51 (edited by Cornettoking 2021-04-13 16:15:02)

@7: How is that obvious? I mean the whole computer-chip-brain thing was obvious, but the shooting was unexp

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-04-13 15:48:06

No, you saw the shooting coming from like the first 10 seconds.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-13 16:21:02

A friend of mine, who has a dozen published novels to his name (I've edited eleven of them, as it happens) once said something I'll never forget. We were having a deep conversation about the mechanics of writing and the importance of storytelling in fiction. He said, "Decent fiction answers the question "what", and if it's thorough, it will also hit on "how". Great fiction, I'm convinced, must include the "why". If you set up a whole story, no matter how outlandish or amazing or complicated or moving it is, but your characters do things that you literally can't explain or make sense of, you're doing it wrong." And he's right.

With that in mind, most of you probably saw the gun violence at the end (hello, I also included a trigger warning, so that gives the game away a fair bit). So now, tell me something. Why did the character Steven kill his sisters and then himself?

The reason I was okay with giving up some of the "punchline" is because I didn't just want you focused on "what". I also wanted you free to think about "why", even as the end came to sort of run you down. That was calculated on my part. This story is so short that suspense really isn't the point. It's something I hope may give a different look on a second or third reading, but I'm not pretending it's amazing, Pulitzer-level fiction or anything, either. I knocked off the first draft over a lunch period while at work one day in mid 2019; took about fifteen minutes. The edits took a little longer (that's where the meticulousness came in).

2021-04-13 16:47:39

so Jayde, is she a cyborg?

"But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's technobrain,
ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker?  Did you ever wonder what
made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him?"

2021-04-13 17:01:24 (edited by Lucas1 2021-04-13 17:06:03)

I think the robotic imagery is supposed to be figurative, not literal. So it's in there to demonstrate that she's just living life automatically and doesn't feel any emotions. The thing at the end was taking that to its logical conclusion, feeding the robot brain data that didn't fit with its previous dataset, that it couldn't comprehend. I could be wrong and could be missing some deeper level that explains why there is a random cyborg living with three human children.
I really liked the story and I think it was done well, including the obvious foreshadowing. A story doesn't need to take a turn into something completely unexpected for it to be good.
Edit: Three human children, not two.

2021-04-13 17:14:46 (edited by Agent47 2021-04-13 17:15:18)

a augmented human, superintelligence, maybee super speed and strength

"But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's technobrain,
ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker?  Did you ever wonder what
made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him?"

2021-04-13 17:19:21

interesting
instead reading assential words for tofel I should read your texts and stories, contained a lot of new words like always smile keep it up!

2021-04-13 17:26:50

That story really did make me focus on the "Why," as you wanted it to. Really good writing, and although the subject is really sad it's got a lot of depth to it.

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2021-04-13 17:27:48

Agree with Lucas. Wasn't long and terribly drawn out, the language was provocative and set the scene. I mean, even though it was obvious it still painted a decent picture of the environment in a short period of time.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-04-13 17:53:21

@Jayde: I think it is because Steven had depression, might have been the victim of heavy bullying at school (as seen when he doesn't want to go to school) and by his sibblings (no proof, just my theory). And when he just couldn't take it anymore, he let it all out on the bullies closest to him, which were his sibblings.
But now you may ask why he didn't just run into his class and start shooting. Well, I have a theory for that too: He might have had a bad relationship with his mother too, so he wanted to hurt her by shooting his sibblings (maybe).

Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-04-13 18:01:16

@17, Very possible. I had some of the same ideas.

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2021-04-13 18:18:52

Interesting theories, and I'm not going to flat-out say they're wrong. But remember, details matter.
The twins don't even have a speaking role, except to squabble about who will pour the milk for their cereal. If there's any bullying being done to Steven, by them or by anyone else, it's not on screen and it's not actually mentioned. This doesn't mean it hasn't happened - in fact, if the entirety of his home life is known at school, perhaps there are indeed people who would bully him, and you can make of that what you wish - but it does mean that since I specifically told you all the details are there, you might want to look more closely in a different direction. Heh.
I'm enjoying this immensely. And I'm also very thankful for all the positive feedback, too. I enjoy sharing the things I create, and even if they're sad or broody or in some cases just plain weird - I shared a poem here about a month ago that was totally fucked, to put it mildly - it's clear they're sometimes getting people to think, or at least to talk a little.

Here's a very small tip though.
Pay attention to the things that are happening to Amanda herself throughout the day. Notice the clock? Notice her losing track of time? Notice how "they told her this might happen"? Notice the "time they might have left, however fleeting"? Also, the flipped SUV. The devil, man; he loves them details.

2021-04-13 19:25:31 (edited by Zarvox 2021-04-13 19:26:21)

he either envied his sisters, or their dad died recently and he couldn't handle it, so he shot his sisters so that they wouldn't have to go through what he did. Then he shot himself to escape the pain.
@Jayde you said something in post 10 that I think is bs.
Jayde wrote:
"If you set up a whole story, no matter how outlandish or amazing or complicated or moving it is, but your characters do things that you literally can't explain or make sense of, you're doing it wrong." And he's right."

Listen to tales from the gas station, then get back to me. That series is fucking amazing, and you never know what the hell is going to happen next or what the caracters will do, despite you knowing the characters of the stories.

2021-04-13 19:45:01

@Jayde: About the accident. My theory is that her husband died, and she was in some sort of coma where her

My other theory this time concerns "they told her this would happen": After Amanda's husband died in the accident, Steven couldn't process it (along with the bullying), so he went to a psychiatry or something. Then, Amanda was told, by "them", that her son would never be the same again.
And about the time? She might not care because she might habrain had to be replaced with some kind of technical device.

Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-04-13 19:48:50 (edited by Cornettoking 2021-04-13 20:04:36)

@Jayde: About the accident. My theory is that her husband died, and she was in some sort of coma where

her brain had to be replaced with some sort of technical device.

My other theory this time concerns "they told her this would happen": After Amanda's husband died in the accident, Steven couldn't process it (along so he went to a psychiatry or something. Then,told, by "them", that her son would never be the same again.
And about the time? She might not care because she is still in pain over her loss and time doesn't matter to her anymore.

I actually quite enjoy making up theories like this.
Wait! After initially writing this post and then reading through the story and your post again, I just noticed something:

The twins talk to each other (a bit), but not to Steven! For whatever reason, they are not talking to him. In fact, there is no mention of the twins noticing/acknowledging Steven in any way. So for whatever reason,

Edit: I found another piece of evidence that the twins don't care about their brother. It is mentioned that the "little feet" upstairs make no effort to be quiet. Since Steven had to still be in bed at that point, the twins (or one of them) making no effort to be quiet (=to not wake up his/her brother) shows that they not only ignore him, but also don't care about him at all.they are ignoring their brother.

Edit: I

This would only further deteriorate Steven's mental state because being ignored by your sibblings is I imagine quite a big deal.

And another thing that just came to my mind: The story mentions that the twins are running to the (I guess) bus stop, while Steven is only going there slowly.
Might this mean that he has some kind of anxiety problem so he doesn't want to take the bus/doesn't like taking the bus?

Sorry if this post was a bit all over the place but with my current Browser I can't edit it that well.
So I hope it made sense.

Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-04-13 20:08:18

Sorry for the double post, but the editing diedn't work for some reason on that last one.
So, I found another piece of evidence that shows that the twins don't care about Steven.

In the story it says that the "little feet" upstairs made no effort to be quiet. Since Steven had to still be in bed at that time, the "little feet" had to be the twins or one of the twins. Them making no effort to be quiet means that they don't care about possibly waking up their brother. This might be a little far-fetched, considering it's seven and so time to wake up, but it might still be a valid piece of evidence that shows that the twins don't care about Steven.

Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-04-13 20:30:29

The SUV flip could indicate this is all some sort of coma dream, but I tend to think not. It could also be a traumatic thing in her past that she's still hanging onto. Her mind is failing, we know this. The cause could be dementia, or drug abuse.

Jayde wrote:

She wakes all at once, gone one moment and here the next. Sitting up. Feet flat on the cool floor. Eyes opening. Little sizzles of electricity dancing in her head.

Jayde wrote:

She is not equipped to deal with silence where once there was laughter; every day, a few more pebbles slide out of the reality she once knew.

Jayde wrote:

The radio is saying "Mother doesn't understand it" and her mind flails for a song title. It doesn't come as readily as it usually does.

Jayde wrote:

In her head, that song goes on and on, skipping and sliding in bursts and recursive loops.

These are the things that make me wonder about her brain damage. Also, recursion has depth to it. If you hear music in your head and it loops, that is not recursion, because it only goes one level deep. But if you hear music in your head and it loops before the first bit finishes, to form an overlay, that is recursion. That indicates a pattern of chaotic thought patterns which may be indicative of brain damage. She could also be suffering from a terminal illness that attacks the brain.

But take the SUV flipping. If that's real, it means that she may have survived something her partner did not. If that was Steven's other parent, that could explain his depression. If she was the one driving at the time, she could have survivor's guilt.

Jayde wrote:

"Come on, Steven," she says, and her voice is almost a whisper. She perches on his bed, straight-backed and stiff-kneed, as if about to spring up again. She can't relax, even though she wants to. He recoils, a hump covered in blankets against the wall, back to her. "Today can be better than yesterday. But you have to try."
"No. it's not the same. It's not right. It'll never be better again," he mumbles. But he knows she won't go away until he gets up.

This is what I'm using to support my point that his father or second mother died. Another thing, and this is a larger portion from the bit I quoted earlier.

Jayde wrote:

Steven only walks, seeming to leave the same way he arrives, in a plodding shuffle. Not caring if he is noticed. Not wanting to take up space in a world he can't seem to come to grips with anymore. She wants to walk with him, has even said so, but he always looks aghast, turns his head away, shovels food into his mouth so that he doesn't have to say that dreaded word, that "no" which has slammed so many doors between them in the last few months. She is not equipped to deal with silence where once there was laughter; every day, a few more pebbles slide out of the reality she once knew. They warned her that it would probably happen. Yet, she is frustrated that she does not comprehend this new, moody, sulky man-child where her eldest once stood.

Taken as a whole, I'm wondering if there's something deeper here. They warned her that this would happen. On the surface, this could simply be related to her son going through puberty. As we know, this process involves emotional instability, growth spurts, and raging hormones. But I think it could go deeper.

If he did lose a parent, maybe he wasn't affected at first, or he was trying to distract himself. her being warned by some nebulous, "they", could be a reference to grief counselors warning her that when the grief finally did hit him, it would likely send him into a depressive funk. If you add the normal moodiness, volatility and all the rest of puberty onto the fact he may have lost a parent, that could spell big trouble for him.

Jayde wrote:

Chores let her forget the thing she fears is coming.
Time passes; she could keep track of its progress, it would be easy. But what is the point? This fatalism is unlike her, but she is too distracted to notice.

What is coming? Her further descent into dementia, madness, brain damage? Or possibly she senses that Steven will commit suicide? I discount the latter because if she's putting in the effort to get the kids off to school and do house chores, then she'd do something, not just let him kill himself. I'm setting aside the fact that he killed his siblings because unless a mother knows her child is amoral and a complete psychopath, I don't think she'd see that coming.

As to why he killed them, I'm at a loss. It seemed that he was indifferent to them. Did he really hate them that much, or was he trying to protect them from the grief that was consuming him. He could also have been trying to protect them from their mother, if she was doing drugs. I'm really not committed to that one though.

Jayde wrote:

"I don't like Mondays," she says. A weird cross-patch in her head. She can smell something astringent, very faintly, like frying plastic. "But I'll be here.

Is this an indicator of drug abuse, or something else. I'm not sure, but it seems to be yet another link between her and brain damage. She also forgot to charge her phone, and her sense of time is slipping.

A thing I've noticed with people that have dementia is that among the first things to start going is their concept of time. They don't know how long ago something happened. While they may still remember events, they'll be wrong about when those events took place. It seems to go both ways. Either thinking something happened a number of weeks ago that really happened two days ago or the reverse.

The last thing I'll say is that I don't think she's a robot or a cyborg, but that the imagery is metaphorical of her state of mind. I don't have a definite answer to all this, but perhaps that's a good thing. I believe that the experiences of the individual will shape how they interpret this, which is also good. If everything was out in the open and stated obviously, and all loose ends were tied up, there would be nothing for the reader to wonder about. It would fly over the heads of many, not because they couldn't understand it, but because they lack the experiences in life to relate to it.

I also know that I'm not very good with this type of thing. As someone who values honesty, I do best when communication is up front, open and honest. I've had to train myself to not take everything at face value, but I don't always get it right. I will either not see the subtext at all, or overcompensate by seeing it everywhere, especially in places it doesn't exist.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-13 21:20:52

@24: I don't think she has dementia, as she can still remember song names.
Otherwise, I agree with you.

Oh, and #freeGCW