2021-03-30 14:35:36

Hi all,
So I'm not sure if this is actually strange or if it's just normal and I know nothing about it, so by all means feel free to let me know.

A few days ago I really hurt my back, I think by just sleeping funny. It started out feeling sore, then throughout the day it started spasming and I could barely move. The good news is that it's better now, it's very stiff and sore but I can at least get up and down as I please without it feeling like torture. The spasms are 50 times less severe and are much shorter lasting than they started, so I'm happy.

Anyway, last night I decided I was going to use a heating pad on it. The heating pad I have is one of those types where you plug it in and choose the appropriate intensity.

The stupid part though, and what lead me to make this topic in the first place, is that I can't really use it. For some weird reason, when I turn it on, the heat from it triggers this very weird reflex where my face, particularly my eyes, go tense. It reminds me precisely of the days when I was a little kid and I had enough light perception to need to wear sunglasses when the sun got bright. My light perception has dimmed somewhat so that isn't a huge problem for me anymore, in fact I think it's dimmed a lot more than I realize, but still. It was totally dark in my room last night, yet I had this overwhelming impulse to smother my eyes with blindfolds as long as my back was on the heating pad. So I ended up having to turn it on for a minute, then back off. I had this issue last time I used a heating pad too, but the one I was using then was old and was slow to heat up, so the onset wasn't so sudden if I remember correctly. This is kind of fascinating, but quite frustrating too.

Maybe the issue is that the pad is too large. It covers my entire back, and isn't localized to that one spot which I pulled. Perhaps i need to change which part of the pad I lay on so that the only spot which really feels heat is that one? That's the only thing I can think of. Above all though, I'm wondering if this is just a normal phenomenon I've never heard of or if I'm just strangely wired.

When I tried those muscle relaxer creams which create heat in a localized way, I don't recall feeling like that. So maybe I should go back to using those...

So yeah, do you have thoughts on this reflex I described?

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2021-03-30 16:12:25

Interesting. I've never heard of this.

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2021-03-30 16:41:17 (edited by defender 2021-03-30 16:42:43)

Sounds like an issue of overly sensitive nerves or something.  Maybe if you get some of the tightness in your back to settle down it will help?  After all everything from your back to your shoulders, to your neck and jaw is connected to a degree.
Using stretches that help those areas, as well as pressing hard and for a long time on problem spots (hurts like hell but super worth it) can assist with this, though even better if you have someone else to do it for you.
But I know that feeling and it sucks.  I sometimes get it randomly when relaxing, trying to sleep.  I've gotten better at fighting through it and that seems to make it go away faster, but it still drives me a little crazy.
The weird thing is, I have no light perception what so ever.

2021-03-30 20:46:36

Yeah it was... weird. Maybe it's a nerve thing like you said? Though it felt like one of those involuntary reflexes, on the same caliber as when the doctor taps your knee with the hammer lol

The good news is that unlike the past couple days, today has been great. As the day goes on I've been feeling more able to just randomly get up and walk around.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2021-03-30 20:53:24

The feeling you’re describing is the feeling I get sometimes whenever I have a fever or I’m sick in some other way. I can’t quite describe it either. The most adequate description I could give for this is a bright flash if I could see out of my entire face. I can see light flashing, but I can also feel my tongue spasming and other weird facial expressions if you can even call them that. Luckily I only get this feeling when I'm sick, but it's still pretty strange.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2021-04-02 14:22:31

I don't think I've had that happen before, although I have had some eye pain and nausea that has caused me to squeeze my eyes shut. I used to also have phantom lights dancing in my eyes as well.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy