2021-03-17 23:03:09

I need to make app icons for the iOS App Store, and can't get this script to run. It throws no module named PIL, and sudo pip install PIL doesn't work either. Do I have to set it up from a custom wheel or is this a consequence  of being on an M1 (I'm looking at you, NumPy).
Thanks.

2021-03-20 04:34:32

Icons are the first impression sighted and low enough vision folks are going to get of your app, as in before the description and reviews and everything. So if you think it could be beneficial to literally anyone who can see the screen (even if only a little bit), don't pass up the marketing opportunity.
The script definitely has potential, in fact I'm using it myself as a simple video overlay, but in your case it'd probably do more harm than good.

App icons are a matter of hiring a beginner for $20 on Upwork or Freelancer, which is really nothing in the grand scheme of things.

To actually answer your question, Pillow is the python >= 3 fork after the original PIL module was abandoned a couple years back.

2021-03-20 04:40:10

@2
Thanks for the tips. I didn't know graphic designers (for things like that at least), are that cheap. The app was designed specifically for blind people however, so it wouldn't be very helpful in this case. I'm assuming pillow has the same functions as PIL? Also, it's a bit strange that code still runs on Windows with Py3, but not Mac with Py2, if PIL was a Py2 thing, when Xcode CLI tools ship with Py2. SMH.

2021-03-20 12:59:50

@1
Are you using a virtual environment? That *could* be the problem.

@2
Glad you're finding it useful. I'd forgotten I'd coded that, so glad at least one person is getting some use out of it.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-03-20 16:38:41

What is the software you are releasing?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com