2021-03-16 19:34:03

First off, before I go any further, Steve told me to make this thread, as in CoreMUD_Steve  or Steve on the MUD so that's why I'm making it here.

Alright, So. Core's a fun game and a chil out game. I've no desire to race anyone else since it as much a simulation as a MUD I feel.

But it needs accessibility fixes. That is why this topic is a thingg.

I'll throw mine in, and if you guys could all help out we can make Core even better to use. LPC is not a language I run into all the time, realy.

So. Here's a few I've noticed

First off, hats off to Grey/Steve/Malcom/etc for responding quickly and fixing things.

Apartments: Grey mentioned this on the RL channel, but t a local directions system would help immensely in finding your apartment since map's a bunch of numbers.

Corequad: I really, really want this to be accessible so here's how I feel it could go

First off. The cards are fine as is IMO with the name/numberrs. The board I feel could use some way to quickly check a cordinate, like A1 or B1 for instance to see what's there, but it is very simple to grasp. It just needs to be playable, and I can't check it because a) Detmir hates me and b) Nobody wants to challenge me?

Mining: This is the core activity (pun intended), but I feel like it could use a few tweaks, since my drill broke (thanks Steve) and I didn't get any mesages about it making noises like the help file said, so maybe some indicators of your drill wearing down possibly? It's al to easy to get carried away in mining aftr all and forget to check.

Spam messages: Okay, I'm not a fan of the various sneezingdry mouth/etc messages. I get why are there but they can get extremely spammy after a while. I like them being there, but they can get extremely spammy if they display within a short space of time.

Other notes:

I like how snappy things are, and LPC doesn't clutter things up with the screenreader mode on.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2021-03-16 19:40:26

I do receive warning about the drill though. but yeah will be nice  if it is more frequent.

2021-03-16 19:54:36

Appreciate the feedback!  More fixes are going in this week to address accessibility.  The "stocks" fix for the Stock Market should be going in sometime this evening.

Keep the constructive suggestions coming, please.  Not being screenreader users ourselves, your input is helpful for us!

Grey

2021-03-16 20:07:42 (edited by CoremudSteve 2021-03-16 20:20:17)

JaceK wrote:

Spam messages: Okay, I'm not a fan of the various sneezingdry mouth/etc messages. I get why are there but they can get extremely spammy after a while. I like them being there, but they can get extremely spammy if they display within a short space of time.

I have updated the dust and slime to not fire the spam messages in screenreader mode, and removed all the old objects. The spam should be reduced now.

2021-03-16 20:14:49

Regarding the drill accumulating damage points from mining:  do you want an actual sound to play?  This assumes you have a MUD client that supports sound.  As noted in the other thread, I record our custom sounds.

2021-03-16 20:20:21

One thing I'd rather like, is the ability to have the hole help file printed, and not need to hit enter at more prompts.
I assume that (like many muds), you can set maximum page length in coremud, but I've not seen commands for that as yet.

chance to look at the board for corequad square by square would be handy, and likewise get an idea of which coordinates got captured, but that will probably be it's own thing.
apartment fixes would be nice though.

For the sneezing etc, that is not spam, that is probably because you aren't wearing an air filter.

I personally don't mind the lack of warning messages on the drill, since having your drill run out of juice isn't so bad, and you can always have a powercell handy to recharge, it's a bit more of a pain when you realise your stuck in the sewers and out of lizon big_smile.

What would be nice in terms of charge, is a way to view the status a bit more quickly without having to read the full item description or need to go line by line, ditto with items that use power, EG check drill, check gun etc.

I'm not sure if this is an access matter, but it would also be nice if the merchants command had slightly better filters for shop types or items, since at the moment if say I'm looking to buy some lizon for my weaponry and I type "merchants lizon, I get a list of all merchants online, rather than just those I am looking for, and have ended up going to the wrong cluster, then again the merchants system is something I'm still getting my head around anyway, but as that goes into more mechanics discussion than accessibility I'll not question that one here.

I suspect a lot more in the game would work in terms of sounds, but unfortunately even though the sounds are supposed to use msp, I can't get vipmud to play them, which is odd, as  other muds I've tried with msp soundpacks worked fine.

I don't know what the issue is there unfortunately, though as someone mentioned having a similar issue with another client it might be something the same.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-03-16 20:22:55 (edited by CoremudSteve 2021-03-16 20:23:06)

Dark wrote:

One thing I'd rather like, is the ability to have the hole help file printed, and not need to hit enter at more prompts.
I assume that (like many muds), you can set maximum page length in coremud, but I've not seen commands for that as yet.

We do have that option:

setenv MORE off

would you like that included by default in screenreader mode?

2021-03-16 20:30:00

Well given that Steve doesn't feel blind people should know where they live... big_smile Just kidding, though it would be cool if that did get fixed, because in the screen reader friendly version of score, the apartment info ain't showing.

Other than that, I'll have to wait until I do more to offer up more suggestions. I really appreciate what's been done thus far though. I've been there for only two days an already, so much has been done to accommodate us, so much thanks from me.

Regarding MSP, it's highly unreliable in my experience. I don't use it. I am making my own sounds to work in this game because getting MSP to work is an endeavor that I dont' really feel like undertaking. Plus, I like making over the top binaural sounds.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-03-16 20:34:18

@GCW: It is, it was fixed earlier, I was convinced I lived a floor lower than I actually did

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2021-03-16 20:38:54

The updated "stocks" command for screenreader-friendly output is now in the game.

2021-03-16 20:46:37

Ah  gotcha, this was referring to last evening.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-03-16 21:17:13

GrannyCheeseWheel wrote:

Well given that Steve doesn't feel blind people should know where they live... big_smile Just kidding, though it would be cool if that did get fixed, because in the screen reader friendly version of score, the apartment info ain't showing.

I fixed that, sorry about that.

"score apt" - will show your apartment, or just plain score now

2021-03-16 21:33:01

So odd question, would you folks like a dedicated comm channel for screen reader folks so you can turn off the rl comm channel spam?

Also is there anything specific you look for in room descriptions? I write from a different perspective than a screen reader user and let people imagine things. I could add some more details and help transport you better into rooms. I only ask this because I'm building an area right now and I'd like to go back and write things from a different perspective.

Are there resources for helping me to write in a way that is more accessible in this genre? Or am I just over thinking things?

2021-03-16 21:48:10

Steve, I'm not opposed to adding a new channel, sr, that is exclusively for screenreader / accessibility topics.  That would be easy enough to make.

2021-03-16 21:49:04

Actually one thing I like in the descriptions, is that they're unique and give things like directional info in an in game way, rather than being reliant on prompt info or ascii maps, EG they say "the so and so is to your northeast".
A dedicated screen reader channel, to chat about screen reader specific matters isn't a bad idea, but for me at least rl isn't spam, it's a nice way to just have a general chat about whatever and be friendly, though there might be times when a "quiet" command to shut down all channels might be helpful, especially when mining with one hand and drinking coffee with the other big_smile.

One thing which is a miner niggle which I wouldn't mind getting rid of, is that wiki link at the top of every help article, since of course the screen reader reads it out directly, and while giving initial directions to the wiki is fine, I don't need it repeating each and every time I look at a help file.

I also wouldn't mind a command to skip directly from one message of a terminal to another, EG when reading the mining instructions on the north mine terminal, to start with "read 1" and then type say "read next", to be able to go on to message 2 etc, so that it's easier to read through a longer list.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-03-16 22:21:54

Dark wrote:

One thing which is a miner niggle which I wouldn't mind getting rid of, is that wiki link at the top of every help article, since of course the screen reader reads it out directly, and while giving initial directions to the wiki is fine, I don't need it repeating each and every time I look at a help file.

Done, screenreader mode will suppress the wiki link

2021-03-16 22:48:22

I don't really need an sr channel. I play MUDs to interact with the wider community, and not just blind people. Plus, RL isn't really spammy to me.

I've done quite a bit of building on MUDs myself, and you dont' really have to do anything different to make things accessible, with the possible exception of reducing the amount of ascii art. When I write descriptions, I try to include as many details that I can that pull from a variety of senses, not just sight.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-03-17 01:06:32

GrannyCheeseWheel wrote:

I don't really need an sr channel. I play MUDs to interact with the wider community, and not just blind people. Plus, RL isn't really spammy to me.

I've done quite a bit of building on MUDs myself, and you dont' really have to do anything different to make things accessible, with the possible exception of reducing the amount of ascii art. When I write descriptions, I try to include as many details that I can that pull from a variety of senses, not just sight.

Awesome, this is all good information for me to keep in mind, thank you for the information. Emoji: Smiley-Face

2021-03-17 01:22:24

GrannyCheeseWheel wrote:

Awesome, this is all good information for me to keep in mind, thank you for the information. Emoji: Smiley-Face

2021-03-17 03:36:16

By the way, I did notice the messages regarding itchy skin and breathing in dust and whatnot. I would not consider those either spam or an accessibility barrier. If the filters you can buy suppress these messages, or reduce their frequency, I would recommend restoring the messages to screen reader users.

Personally, I feel that there should be a good reason to alter the gameplay experience in the name of accessibility. Note that a lot of what's already been done hasn't necessarily altered the experience, instead, it has enhanced what's already there, bringing us on a level with our sighted peers. You will sometimes get feedback from people that is not objective, but preferential in nature.

I try not to do that when communicating with developers. I will give the information they want with an objective point of view, without my personal feelings and biases attached; at least, as much as I can. In my opinion, the frequency of the messages do not constitute an accessibility barrier. We can tap the control key to silence any speech or anything queued up to speak. We also have the option of gagging those messages, which is quite trivial in almost any client. Also, if the filters do indeed cut down on the number of messages, then that option is available as well.

Besides which, you're removing a feature of the game from a subset of players for no other reason that I can see, other than someone didn't like them. While this could be construed as a criticism of your working process, I believe it's important to first of all say, I think an incredible job has been done so far in making the game more playable for us. Secondly, as a proponent for an equal experience among both the sighted and blind, I think it's important to highlight the difference between an accessibility barrier and a situation like this.

Accessibility barriers represent situations where someone with a disability cannot proceed past said barrier, or must use workarounds which vary in complexity to move forward, where non-disabled people would not be presented with an issue. In this case, since it's unreasonable for sighted developers to know every facet, or even any bit of how our screen reading software works, it's understandable how this could have been perceived as an accessibility barrier, when in actuality, it really isn't.

I hope I did a fairly decent job at explaining this, especially since this type of thing isn't necessarily one of my strong suits. There are definitely those to be found here on this forum who have done much more extensive work liaising with sighted developers and doing accessibility testing than I have. I also don't think the person who made that suggestion meant any harm by it. If you have any more questions about how screen readers work, or what does and doesn't constitute an accessibility barrier, do feel free to post them here. I feel like we're very close to being able to play on the same level as our sighted counterparts, and it's my hope that we can get there without cutting things out of the game as much as possible.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-03-17 04:10:10

GrannyCheeseWheel wrote:

By the way, I did notice the messages regarding itchy skin and breathing in dust and whatnot. I would not consider those either spam or an accessibility barrier. If the filters you can buy suppress these messages, or reduce their frequency, I would recommend restoring the messages to screen reader users.

Personally, I feel that there should be a good reason to alter the gameplay experience in the name of accessibility. Note that a lot of what's already been done hasn't necessarily altered the experience, instead, it has enhanced what's already there, bringing us on a level with our sighted peers. You will sometimes get feedback from people that is not objective, but preferential in nature.

I try not to do that when communicating with developers. I will give the information they want with an objective point of view, without my personal feelings and biases attached; at least, as much as I can. In my opinion, the frequency of the messages do not constitute an accessibility barrier. We can tap the control key to silence any speech or anything queued up to speak. We also have the option of gagging those messages, which is quite trivial in almost any client. Also, if the filters do indeed cut down on the number of messages, then that option is available as well.

Besides which, you're removing a feature of the game from a subset of players for no other reason that I can see, other than someone didn't like them. While this could be construed as a criticism of your working process, I believe it's important to first of all say, I think an incredible job has been done so far in making the game more playable for us. Secondly, as a proponent for an equal experience among both the sighted and blind, I think it's important to highlight the difference between an accessibility barrier and a situation like this.

Accessibility barriers represent situations where someone with a disability cannot proceed past said barrier, or must use workarounds which vary in complexity to move forward, where non-disabled people would not be presented with an issue. In this case, since it's unreasonable for sighted developers to know every facet, or even any bit of how our screen reading software works, it's understandable how this could have been perceived as an accessibility barrier, when in actuality, it really isn't.

I hope I did a fairly decent job at explaining this, especially since this type of thing isn't necessarily one of my strong suits. There are definitely those to be found here on this forum who have done much more extensive work liaising with sighted developers and doing accessibility testing than I have. I also don't think the person who made that suggestion meant any harm by it. If you have any more questions about how screen readers work, or what does and doesn't constitute an accessibility barrier, do feel free to post them here. I feel like we're very close to being able to play on the same level as our sighted counterparts, and it's my hope that we can get there without cutting things out of the game as much as possible.

I put the effects back in, you are right. Please let me know if it does become a problem, we can always reduce the frequency for all users. I was debating suppressing immersion but taking that out would make the game feel less alive.

2021-03-17 06:48:21

We have created a central clearing house on Core's Discord for this topic, so the coding staff can track (and disclose to the public) what has been done with respect to accessibility.  We will continue to use this thread here on audiogames.net as our primary source for suggestions and feedback.

If you wish to read what we're documenting on our end, here is the link:
https://discord.gg/hAKMuFGYtz

Thank you again to all for your input and patience with us.  These past few days have been a whirlwind for us, for sure!  We have been chipping away at this over the past decade or so, but had no idea there was an online community dedicated to this topic.

Grey

2021-03-17 09:00:37

I personally enjoy flavour text in the game, so really like those messages about your general condition, since they make me feel far more as if I'm actually in a dusty, grimy mining  colony in the distant future, than just sitting on my sofa playing a text game.

Indeed, as a fairly utilitarian, explorer type, usually I don't tend to bother with purely aesthetic roleplaying based things in muds like showers or changing clothing, yet coremud made me think about this in a nice, immersive way, by pointing out that no, squelching around the corridors after slaying beasties in the sewers would not be a good idea :d.

So , keep the flavour text and immersive mechanics please.

In the same vane, having actually finished the sewer quest, I don't think the sewers need major fixes myself, since the text of each room is uniquely described, and all anyone has to do is just pay attention to their surroundings.
they're a confusing layout it's true with lots of turns and switchbacks, but there's nothing intrinsically "inaccessible", here imho.

2021-03-17 10:38:20

Okay, had a rather weird problem. I wanted to shower after mining and couldn't find my apartment big_smile.
I found the right level and quadrant of the housing dome, but the map command was not useful at all, and in this case the descriptions were mostly the same, and though I'd memorised the way from! my apartment to the entrance of the housing quadrant and thought I could just reverse the directions, that clearly did not work.

one major problem, is that though I knew my apartment number, the room description showed names on the doors, not numbers, so I had no idea where I was generally in the quadrant.

Firstly, it might be helpful if the doors actually showed numbers as well as names, just like doors in a hotel, that way you could roughly  know how close to your own apartment you were.
You might also consider having the map command work like the scan command and tell you what direction given numbers of apartment doors were, EG "north 28, 29, east 25 26" etc.

You might also consider having the map command tell you the relative directions of the quadrant entrance, and your apartment, the way the shaft brief command tells you the relative directions of motherloads in mines. This, combined with actually knowing what number apartment your close to, should make finding it possible, since after all, this is not navigating around a damp sewer full of nasties, it's just finding your room for a shower, so really shouldn't be a challenge big_smile.

2021-03-17 14:26:25

Agreed with Dark on his last two posts. Yeah, as someone who got lost there last night, I can honestly say that it wasn't an accessibility issue that got me that way, it was my own fault. I had tools to aid me and I didn't use them because I wanted to get straight to the fighting and jumped the gun.

End racism
End division
Become united