2021-03-12 11:36:47

hello,

So for my internship I have to write unit tests using node.js / javascript. My issue is with reviewing output from the terminal (cmd).
What i'm struggling with is I can hear the output once, but then I can't scroll up / down through the given output. A temporary fix I found was to select and copy everything to  a notepad window, but that doesn't work conveniantly.
Does anyone know of a fix? another program? I've heard powershell but same result for me.

Kind regards,

kind regards and have a nice day,
marro

2021-03-12 20:30:59

If you're using NVDA, you can use NVDA + the arrow keys to review console output. If you're using JAWS, using the JAWS cursor should allow you navigate console output with the arrow keys, but I don't use JAWS so maybe someone can confirm or provide clearer directions.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2021-03-12 21:43:42

Hi, #2 is correct. The way to handle this from the screen reader perspective is by changing the cursor you are using in your screen reader. IN NVDA, assuming you are on a laptop, and that you have the laptop keyboard layout set for NVDA, you need to make sure your running cursor is set on object review mode, do capslock page up/page down. This will let you toggle between the different cursor modes for NVDA. Once you have Object review selected, which is probably what is already selected, although sometimes it switches for some reason, you can use capslock and up and down arrow to read the command line window. This works in command prompt and powershell. It is a useful command to know for just reading dialogs as well.
If you are using a desktop computer, you have to do similar commands but using the num pad. I don't rememver all of the commands for desktop, but could give it a shot if that is what you are working on.
With jaws, you have to rout cursor to pc. So again assuming you are working on a laptop, you need to hold capslock and press left bracket, it is the key that is diagonal up to the right from your right pinky when on the home row. JAWS should read "jaws to pc", you should be able to just use the arrow keys normally now to read the window. To get back to the normal state of jaws, you have to switch back to the pc cursor by doing capslock semi colon. Similar to NVDA on a desktop you have to use the num pad.

Now, In windows 10 there is actually another way you can do it. Press control m in the command prompt, and it will enable mark mode. this will allow NVDA or JAWS to read things normrally just by pressing the arrow keys without having to play with the cursor. You can also select things using your normal select text commands. Selecting is something you are supposed to be able to do, although for some reason my computer does not let me select by word. To get out of mark mode press escape, so that your arrow keys function as expected when typing commands.

Note that when using a different cursor to read the window weather with JAWS or NVDA, ust pressing up when you hit the top of the window does not auomatically scroll. I think you can do something like page up or something, but I used to do exactly what you said, just copy the output into notepad when the output text went beyond the size of the window. I would also maximize the screen to maximize the amount of text that would fit on the screen. However mark mode when on will actually scroll for you just by pressing up arrow.

Hope this helps,

Timothy Breitenfeldt

2021-03-12 23:56:02

hi,
thanks @2 and @3, that is awesome, works great.

marro

2021-03-13 22:18:19

Thanks @3, the Mark mode in PS works amazingly. Very handy.

2021-03-13 23:00:27 (edited by stewie 2021-03-13 23:03:39)

You can also pipe output to a text file, for example npm test 2> errors.txt to pipe stderr to a text file. For stdout, just use > instead of 2>.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2021-03-16 12:14:22

hello,
Is it also to scroll up with the screen reader? If the output gets enough lines of text in it I can only see what's currently on screen.

marro

2021-03-16 13:00:23 (edited by leibylucw 2021-03-16 16:13:10)

The mark mode that was described seems to allow you to scroll through the whole console buffer, but I haven't found a way to jump to the bottom of the output.

2021-03-16 15:35:06

ah never mind. Yep that mark method seems to work, for some reason I didn't see that part. Thanks though

marro