2020-12-25 08:48:41 (edited by musicalman 2020-12-25 09:13:52)

Hi all,
Before I start, please keep trollish or one-word replies behind; I would like to keep this thread constructive if it actually goes anywhere.

My intention here is not at all to be in a bad mood or to bitch and complain on Christmas day. I had a great Christmas actually, and I try every year to enjoy it. But something has come up which frustrates me a little, and I can't decide whether the frustration is justified.

Ever since I started using appliances with batteries, I wished I knew of a way to see how much charge they had left. Eventually I started using rechargeable batteries.

Around that time, someone found an audible battery tester. It was a very simple unit; just stick batteries in and it beeps. The louder the beep, the more charge the batteries had. It wasn't very precise as the beep didn't change much, but it was enough to make me feel like I could find my own system for gauging the battery capacity. But somehow it got lost, thrown out etc. I haven't seen it in years.

In the meantime, I ran into issues with chargers seeming to be dead, batteries not holding a charge etc. I don't exactly know what happened, but I couldn't trust any of my batteries or chargers. I got tired of that and eventually decided to replace everything. I spent a little extra money on a good charger and batteries, and have exclusively been sticking to that, and so far I haven't had any issues. But I'm still paranoid about the battery testing thing; I lost plenty of good recordings when I was having issues.

An accessible battery tester was among the things I would gladly receive as a Christmas present. My mom was on the lookout for one, but we both knew our options may be limited. Eventually, she did find one though, the EZ test. It's available through APH, though it's out of stock, so I don't know how she managed to find one. I do know she waited weeks to get it, and didn't expect me to have it today, but as it turns out, it arrived just in time.

In a nutshell, the tester comes with 2 AAA batteries which power it. You stick them in, then insert the battery you want to test. Once it gets a reading, it produces either 1, 2 or 3 beeps depending on the battery's strength. If the battery is practically depleted, only 1 beep is heard, and if it is very strong, 3 beeps are heard. An in-between state is signified by 2 beeps. Easy, simple. No sweat. Within 5 minutes I had found batteries which produced all three signals, so I knew what they sounded like and they were very different. All my dreams should be answered, right?

I know I should be completely happy... but I'm not, and this is where I want to stress again that I'm not writing this to bitch and complain. But I felt uncertain when I heard two beeps. Did that mean it was close to full charge, or near being dead? My recorders can last at least 6 hours on a full charge with my current batteries (haven't really timed it precisely yet, but it's a while,). And that's just for recording. For playback, the time is probably longer. So, if I hear two beeps, does that mean I only have an hour or two, or 5 or 6? I have virtually no way of finding out.
  I wanted to see some intermediate state. A percentage, a voltage, even that imprecise beep which I'd have to listen to for several seconds to be sure I was confident in what I was hearing. But there's nothing like that, just three states, and it just bothered me a little. I decided that the best approach would be to keep as many of my batteries charged as possible, and to accept nothing less than 3 beeps on any of them.

This might not have bothered me if it was all I had. But, after discussing my failing batteries with a hobbyist nature photographer, I started to realize that he has a lot more than I do. His tester gives him voltages and can test many more batteries I think. I don't know what else it does, but it just, felt like a more advanced unit. Do I need one of those? Probably not. But I take comfort in numbers and in progression, and his tester would give me such comfort. Yet, because I am blind, I don't have the option of getting one even remotely like it.

And that one little issue, and those thoughts... they did something to me. Brought out all the frustration I have with being blind. Especially when it comes to using technology. I've mentioned this on other threads, but I have a lot of, probably unjustified, resentment toward blind-exclusive equipment. I am a firm believer that many things can be adapted, not reinvented, to be accessible. For instance, I'm happily using Windows and IOS on a daily basis with help from screen readers. Take the screen reader away though and you have a fully mainstream piece of equipment. It gives me an immense sense of belonging to remind myself of this fact, that I can show people I'm not some blind outcast you must feel overly inspired by and sorry for because I live in my own little world and I somehow manage to get by. I think avoiding this stereotype as much as possible helped me finally come to terms with being blind.

Growing up, I was so used to being reminded every day about the challenges, differences and trials I would have to prepare for. I was occasionally told that blind people are disadvantaged. But for all the cautions I was given (which I do agree with wholeheartedly btw), I never felt safe voicing my desires to just be like everyone else. Every time I did voice such a thing, I was always met with a "But you can't!" With little sympathy. The most I would get was that they understood I was frustrated, but I just had to accept I was different. Yes, they speak the truth, but  it left me feeling like I was just wasting my time with such desires. I have no doubt everybody meant well, but it was still hard to take.

I was also reminded I'm blind, not incapable, but I am different and I have to do things a certain way. It made me want to give up sometimes. But that of course wasn't an option either. So in time, I grew to resent every challenge associated with blindness.

But now, now that I've made a sort of commitment to fulfill that childhood dream of being blind but not discrete, I don't feel so much hatred for it. In fact, I've turned it into a sense of pride. I'm blind, but I'm proud of myself for trying to minimize how much it shows. I now find it easier to make a blindness-related request, because I can brush it off more easily, instead of feelin glike I'm just weird for existing.

I also would rather fight my way through a barely accessible experience than cause a big ruckus about it because I am blind. Of course there are exceptions; if my productivity, safety or job performance is in jeopardy, I'll have to fight a battle or resign myself to a really bad situation. But overall, I prefer not to draw attention to my blindness, and I've gotten so attached to this idea that going the all-out special blindness route is hard for me to take sometimes, even when, in situations like finding a battery tester, I feel like it's my only choice.

My intent here is not to preach and get cringy... in fact it's just the opposite. It may be cringy for blind people to look at this rant of mine, but my goal here is to explain my perspective, and to explain why I've chosen not to turn my blindness into a bigger chip in my coating. They can see it's there by how I act and look, but I can be approachable in other ways. However when I'm confronted with a situation where options are limited and I'm forced to face this head-on, I become quite upset as the old emotions come back to me.

I know my younger self would've said "It's so great that us blind people have accessible battery testers! I love it!" And there's still a part of me which does say that. To be honest, there's even a part of me which doesn't care that you can spend either the same amount or slightly more on amazon and get something with waaay more features but which isn't accessible. Yeah, there's a part of me which still doesn't really care about that, because caring about that makes it even harder for me to process my way out. All the same, I did get curious enough to look it up, and it's eating at me now, and I almost regret looking.

I know I know, a stupid nitpick with a battery tester should not have brought this on. I hate myself for taking it that way. This was a freeking Christmas present. Why am I being so nitpicky? I have a tester, it works, it gives me more than what I had before. So I should shut up and like it, because really, apart from my own stupid thoughts, I have no reason not to. And even money isn't a big concern; we're not in a big debt crisis because some extra money was spent, so I, the person who's never been overly concerned about finance, should be the last one to care about that angle. Besides, my mom had to go out of her way to find this practically extinct accessible battery tester. I don't know if other ones exist, but from the brief amount of research I've done, it doesn't look like they're commonplace, so finding one that I can actually get hold of sounds like it would be difficult. So, if I write this tester off and say I don't like it, then I have nothing. I mean it's not going to end my world either way, whether I have one or I don't, but still the frustration is real.

I just wish I could get a professional model, mod it with a cheap synthesizer and an on/off switch for it so it can be used normally if desired. I wish I could connect it through Bluetooth to my phone so my phone could log results, or through uSB to my computer or something, so I could see the results with a screen reader. If I could, I would. I know both ideas are kinda out there, and it probably wouldn't be very profitable for any company to put something like that in but, when this frustration hits me, I almost don't care. I just want more accessibility in things, and if the additional features benefit everyone, then all the better. But of course, these extended features  I'm proposing would only be self-indulgent, so why should I expect anyone who could actually make the change to listen to me?

When I'm not fired up, I'll maybe do some research and investigate some of those ideas. Maybe it's been done. I kinda doubt it, but now I'm curious. Right now though, I'm going to relax and enjoy Christmas. I hope all of you had a great holiday! Hopefully I didn't sound like a whiny entitled child or something. I just had to get this out, otherwise I was going to spend the rest of the day a mess in my own broken thoughts, and that's the last thing I want, especially at the end of the year when everyone is jolly and happy!
Edit: fixed spelling mistakes, clarified some stuff.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2020-12-25 14:14:23

well  it is  a fact that blindness presents a  challenge in every aspect of life. Anyone who claims otherwise is just naieve or has chosen to be so to  bury their head in the sand rather than face reality. Rest assured you are not the only one who had to buy  and choose more expensive apliences etc than what they would normally buy had they been sighted for usability.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2020-12-25 15:23:50

Yep, that's true.

I guess this bothered me as much as it did because it was the first time I really had to think about it. Having my own resolutions and feelings and desires growing up is all well and good, but that doesn't change how reality works. I mean, I'm normally easily accepting of that, but I have moments I guess. Lol

2020-12-25 16:16:58 (edited by brad 2020-12-25 16:26:39)

Hi.

@musicalman, I'm not sure if this product shhipps outside of the UK but here's a battery charger that talks and things like that: https://www.comproom.co.uk/product/powe … sb-output/

I'm back for a day, but will be leaving again, I just knew I could help; so I diddid.

This is the best thing for me to do, scramble my password but if I can really help I wil in the future.

I'm gone for real :)

2020-12-25 16:21:26

Well, is that the reason you're frustrated with blindness? I mean of course what you're writing here is a big annoyance, but still there are way more reasons to be frustrated with blindness. I am frustrated with blindness if I can't get a job that I like to do, or if I'm at a party and one sighted who has done far less than me in life, is not as handsome as me, gets a cool girl and I'm left with one of the low-ones in the list or nothing. These things really get me bored to a point where I really question if any investment I've made, or any effort I've taken in life is worth anything. It's depressing, it's mentally and physically exhausting, it's anything that has the label bad.

2020-12-25 16:24:12

I found one more website with the same battery pack that has times for each charge: http://www.caretec.at/Products.31.0.htm … etail=3414

2020-12-25 17:02:04

@4 Really? You have to turn this into a self-serving whiny thing on Christmas day no less? I'd report you, but it doesn't break any rules. Go then, go and don't look back.

@OP I feel ya. My pet peeve is VST plugin inaccessibility. Oh sure, the parameters thing in Osara is great, and we'd be much further behind without that. But what I really mean is the plugins themselves. I'm tired of it. I want to use soft synths and have full access to all the features: the mod matrices, the cycling envelopes, all that stuff we lack now. I want to make patches that really sound epic.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-12-25 17:50:37

@GrannyCheeseWheel christmas doesn't mean much to me, but no, i'm not turning this into a whiny thing at all.

I'm stating what is best for me and will be following through with it.

I'll wait to see if musicalman responds in a day, if not I leave until I can help again, it's as simple as that. Please don't turn this into something it isn't.

2020-12-25 17:54:30

@GrannyCheeseWheel, oh crap, there's a keyboard and I can't remember it's name that has a screen reader built in, that you might enjoy either buying or messing around with, I think you need a windows machine though. damn it, if I remember it; I'll post a link in my next post.

2020-12-25 17:57:23

@https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXU_Q_i3-So&list=PL9IOjFRFjrOlaSN20n8BVup9Sw5pECF_N&index=113
That's why I switched to hardware and don't regret it. Yep, it eats money for breakfast, but in the end is definitely worth every euro spent.

2020-12-25 18:16:27

@GrannyCheeseWheel

It's the KOMPLETE KONTROL s keyboards I was talking about. here's a link, the articles is quite old though but I don't think there's much better accessibility wise for us out there sadly: https://blog.native-instruments.com/tal … dre-louis/

I am quite sure you can mess with sliders and things like that on there so you'd be able to make a cool sound, it's pricey though.

2020-12-25 18:17:58

I'm not quite sure how to put it into words atm, but I'd just like to say that I think I know how you're feeling, and have felt the same way several times.
And yeah, of course life's not fair and we have to just suck it up. But sometimes you have to acknowledge how stupid it is that we get half the features, for twice the price. Sometimes you have to complain, to let it out. It won't change anything, but at least the words will be out there and you might feel a bit better.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2020-12-25 18:31:27

I already have a Komplete Kontrol keyboard and it doesn't quite do the job.

Stop threatening to leave, no one honestly cares at this point, do it or don't, but stop turning this into an attention seeking thing and act right.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-12-25 18:37:50

@GrannyCheeseWheel that sucks aboutthe keyvoard and ok.

2020-12-25 21:45:59

Yeah. I'm not super into music, but I've got a Komplete.  The music people I know say it basically is the best out there.  But it's really really easy to run into places where it's not accessible even at my level of knowledge, and you're certainly not going to be building custom instruments with it.

I think it's entirely fair to be frustrated by this stuff though.  For whatever reason, the blind accessible equivalents of anything are suckier than they have to be.  For example I'm only aware of one good set of measuring cups that has more than 4 sizes, and I'm not 100% sure they're even still made.  One of my pipe dreams that will never happen in all likelihood is to make a platform for this kind of thing, probably around the Raspberry Pi, where you get some sort of base unit and pluggable heads--want the candy thermometer?  Put the candy thermometer head on.  Etc.  If you did it right you could 3D print them on demand through something like Shapeways, then your accessible everything is you and your dad or whatever ordering a bunch of pieces and snapping it all together on a Saturday.  But the startup cost of this is taking over a hackerspace and rather more money and time than I have, sadly.  It's really feasible, but I have no idea how I'd get funding, so...O well for now.

When people like Komplete do accessibility, it's understandable why it's worse.  But when people like APH do a graphing calculator and it's literally so bad that it gives people headaches, the excuse is just not there at all.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-12-25 22:49:43

NI did well at the beginning but gave up and it's year 5 and they've done fuck all except port the changes across to later models of their hardware.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-12-25 23:34:03

Maybe NI did better than I give them credit for, but so far as I'm aware, literally the only thing they did is connect knobs on the keyboard to TTS.  It's valuable, but to be honest it's also the kind of thing that someone probably did on a lark in a few days to see if it could be done then hey let's release it because it's cool.

Admittedly actually making entirely graphical UIs like theirs properly accessible is a monumental undertaking for a whole bunch of technical reasons I could go into, so much so that there's probably under 10000 people on the planet who could even try.  So fine, the reasons for that are stupid, but it at least makes sense why they wouldn't.  But what they did do, someone would have to do a *lot* of explaining before I even rate it as having taken effort.

It's fun to play with.  When I have the time, I enjoy it.  But NI is one of the things I hold up as an example, where they did something and get a lot more points for it than they should because it seems like it's some magical software project that took a ton of work and they had to try really hard.  I understand why everyone does that.  You have to be a programmer to really see through their bullshit.  But it's still annoying to watch.

My Blog

2020-12-26 05:43:45

@musicalman
For the exact same reason you described, I simply try to avoid devices, that run only on batteries and if possible, use cable power.
It's also funny, that those recorders, that have a built-in battery, though don't know, if it matters here, but why the hell they can't measure the charge in percentage and only give us the high/mid/low indication.
Quite a few of my synths can be battery-powered, but I wouldn't trust that solution for a gig or even simply for making patches/patterns and take that risk of losing shit when the batteries happen to go empty.

2020-12-26 09:46:31

Thanks Brad for the suggestions. I will certainly look into it.

Mayana wrote:

I'm not quite sure how to put it into words atm, but I'd just like to say that I think I know how you're feeling, and have felt the same way several times.
And yeah, of course life's not fair and we have to just suck it up. But sometimes you have to acknowledge how stupid it is that we get half the features, for twice the price. Sometimes you have to complain, to let it out. It won't change anything, but at least the words will be out there and you might feel a bit better.

Yes, exactly that. The classic "I'm going to rant but I can't provide a meaningful solution" type of feeling. I generally don't like to indulge that, but I get to a point where I have to, or else go insane.

@camlorn, I fully agree with your sentiment, but have been afraid to express it like that. You might get a lot of backlash for it lol
I'm not a KK user myself. And even after I feel more confident with doing midi in Reaper, KK is going to be a hard one for me to get to grips with, because I'm not a fan of the idea that you need a controller or else you don't have accessibility. The controller might be great, and if circumstances get to the point where it might actually be convenient for me to get the controller, I would consider it. But for now, I have no space for another controller, and am happy with the keyboards I already have, at least in terms of how they physically work.

I feel like getting into KK would require me to learn more about Komplete than the individual instruments I would like to use. I've also heard that installing KK is finicky because you still have to object nav and or oCR your way through a few screens.

If the accessibility were in individual products like Kontakt, Massive X etc. i'd jump all over that. And so far as I know anyway, those installers are pretty easy to use. But sadly that's not going to be a thing, at least I don't think it will be for a long while if ever.

I also love the idea of designing my own sounds. VSTs in general are already a mixed bag when it comes to that. About 70 percent of the ones I've tried are fully or nearly fully automatable, 20 percent are limited, and 10 percent really don't give you much if at all. But if NI could somehow make even the graphical parts of their UIs accessible, well... I would probably be so excited I would die. I'd probably throw away all my synths and just use Massive X or something lol. I don't dare get my hopes up though.

99 percent of people I've asked about this stuff don't seem to be coming from the same place I am. I think KK meets their needs perfectly, and it's just exciting to finally have access to and control over these big epic sounds now. They focus on what KK and the accessibility can do, and not what it can't. Which is great, don't get me wrong. But I like to know the full picture with things, and for me, talking KK sounds like loosening one part of the accessibility knot, without really finding a way to undo it. And yeah, like Camlorn said, it's not an easy problem. They certainly made something which works, and works well for many people. It just could, at least hypothetically, be so much more.

2020-12-26 10:32:55

@musicalman, I can't find any demos of the thing sorry about that, I'd personally not spend that much money on a device and just charge batteries over night or something like that.

2020-12-26 16:16:20

@19
So here is the thing to understand about such people.  And if you thought I am going to get backlash for what I said previously, just you wait.

Blind people have learned to grovel.  That's probably not the best word for it, but I don't think there's a better one, so let's go with it for now.

That was probably always the case.  Things are much better for us now than 50 years ago, yeah.  We're no longer off in the corner.  KK accessibility is good and useful, yes.  It definitely improved people's lives, yes.  Not disputing any of that.

But instead of demanding more, or saying "this is really nice, but it's only half the product", we just stop there and fawn over how great it is.  People do the same thing with Mac.  People do the same thing with Android, though at this point maybe Android has improved.  People do this all the time with devices for the blind.  No one is saying "my braille measuring cups suck", it's "wow, I'm so grateful that someone makes a child's measuring cup set with braille".  And so on.  I'm not sure where the accessibility activism is these days, but I almost never hear about any anymore.  Where are the people saying "but modern thermostats aren't usable even though they could be and already have speakers, let's legislate" and stuff?  Nowhere, really.  Instead, we just, well, grovel, and fawn and whatever else when we happen to be given some sort of crap version of whatever it is.  Or we go buy the super expensive talking microwave or whatever and are glad that we payed more for the solution because isn't it amazing that my microwave talks rather than just trying to get some raised buttons that would cost literally a penny more on normal microwaves somehow.

I've had older blind people tell me, for example, that schools for the blind used to be amazing and you'd leave them with a  career.  Nowadays they often don't even teach high school level math.  Maybe they were always that bad, I don't know.  But again, this is somewhere where everyone is just fine with the status quo.  Schools for the blind suck.  You'd think you'd see some sort of big group or something where all the blind people who went to one and then discovered that they couldn't go to college and are now unemployed got together and did something.  It wouldn't take that many or that much, I don't think, just a bunch of press coverage and a bunch of people telling their story and you could get a lot of change going on there.  But, again...nope. Not happening, for whatever reason.

We've done this with STEM too.  Mathplayer doesn't install reliably, it doesn't work for anything above K-12.  Graphing calculators all universally suck, even though they don't have to.  Everyone is mostly okay with this.  If you say something negative, you get backlash.  I know because I'm one of the very small minority of blind people who managed to get as far as calculus, and how dare I say "sorry, but these modern tools that are supposed to be so great don't actually work.  Congratulations on making something easy to learn, but you've managed to make it entirely ineffective for those of us who want to use it outside middle school".  We're even starting to do this with braille.  UEB's math codes, which have sort of replaced Nemeth, are like twice the size of the old ones in terms of line length, in an arena where Braille is already bad enough that late high school and college level math has equations going on for 4 lines for each step and the textbooks are 90+ volumes.  In 5 years, we'll probably be universally teaching it to people.  There goes yet more capability.  And, no one is really acting to stop it.

I could go on.  Look at the first party screen readers.  No power user stuff at all.  Nothing for those of us who need them at my level, where the trade-off is that extremely hard to learn things that let you go amazingly fast manage to barely put you on par with sighted colleagues.  Nope.  Aaaaand here comes our theme again.  "Modern Narrator is cool".  "Voiceover has some issues, but it's not that bad, really".  I've even gotten "not everyone is you, stop being an arrogant asshole" on here once for pointing out that it's basically not possible to be on par with sighted programmers with such tools and without putting the effort in to be one of those crazy fast synth blind people.

So, yeah.  This isn't a jab at you at all.  But the best we get is the occasional rant by someone like you about this topic.  It's not a jab because even if you and I wanted to go out and start some sort of organization, we couldn't.  You know what blind people seem to care about the most these days?  Descriptive TV and mainstream videogame accessibility.  You can scream about how this doesn't matter all day long.  You can scream about how making stuff easy for kids or people who just went blind is actually making it worse by making it harder for us to keep up later on.  No one will listen.  If they do, the common reaction will be anger because you're pointing out that things suck and that people are focused on things that will just make them suck more, or because you're pointing out that making modern videogames accessible or whatever else the project is is impractical, or etc.

My Blog

2020-12-26 18:12:58

@Camlorn, I can confirm that blineness schools are horrible, at least nowadays. I went to one for two years, and it was just bad all around. They basically had the mindset of the NFB of, "blind people can do anything!" without actually allowing you to do as much because Algebra is hard or something.

2020-12-26 18:34:56

I know.  Trust me.  I almost went to one, but as soon as we said "I'm taking honors math, what can you do in that regard" and they said "send you to the high school down the road", that was that.  Very much a dodged bullet.

Whether they used to be better, as I said I don't know, but I've had people tell me this was the case.  It might be nostalgia, but I remember in the 90s and like the 2000 to 2010 era, where it seemed like people saw blind people as...I don't even have the words.  Higher potential, I guess.  It's like there's been a slow regression from "of course blind people can have jobs and stuff, let's make that happen" to "here's your nice corner".  But then we've had steps back in a lot of things lately, so it's all probably just part of that.  There should have been way more improvement from tech and stuff than there has actually been.

I used to be friends with someone high up at Freedom Scientific back in the day, though they're not there now.  I still technically am, we've just lost touch over the years.  He says that in the 90s and early 2000s if you called them up and said "this app doesn't work, and I need it for my job", they'd take you seriously and see if they could get it working.  That attitude is just gone now, across the whole accessibility industry.  It's considered a major win if it works for people afraid of a stove or walking out their front door.

Hell, I learned to program initially on a Braille 'N Speak 2000, which also had a graphing calculator that supported printing in Braille, and old braille printers could be connected directly to DOS with a little bit of work, both as a printer and as a speech synthesizer.  There were blind programmers in the 80s, for crying out loud.

Yes, it is very hard for me to avoid ranting about this topic.

My Blog

2020-12-26 19:27:30

Let's not forget that blind schools seem to have trouble discouraging some of the really silly "blindisms" that make it harder for us to make it in the outside world. There was a drama thread not so long ago where communication came up, and I think this counts to some extent.

Canlorn, I'm with you for the most part. Blind folks either criticize the snot out of fucking everything or, more commonly, they fawn when something is 65% accessible instead of the formerly 40% accessible that it used to be. It's good to recognize meaningful progress, but it's more important, I think, to keep pushing for more When my college's web portal wasn't screenreader-friendly at first, I told them right away. They worked on it. When they asked how the updates were, I said, in essence, "Good, a bunch more stuff works now. But here's a list of seven things that don't. I personally only need three of them, but other blind folks will need more". I don't know if all seven were eventually addressed, but the point was that I acknowledged that they were moving but asked them to keep going.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-12-26 21:06:50

I don't mind the criticism.  I mind the undeserved praise.  I think a lot of the modern problems we have are because it's actually very, very easy to lower the bar and very, very hard to raise it again.  That's true of everything, but blind people have been doing a great job lowering the bar really fast in my opinion.

Obviously criticism without praise isn't great either, but at least it's not just being like "wow, that's a heavy bar, let's drop it on my foot" levels of lowering the bar.

My ultimate conclusion is that it's stupid to even work on accessibility anymore, and we should go put all our resources into cures.  You'd be surprised how little money cures actually get, and how few groups there are working on it, despite the huge levels of impact it'd have.  Far as I know, the number of teams working on brain implants is in the single digits for instance.  Same for gene therapies.  And so on.  But guide dogs for the blind gets like 50 million dollars a year or something stupid like that, and can only serve 1000 or 2000 blind people per year at most.  You could literally retire a blind person at 20 and let them spend the rest of their life in the lap of luxury if you just said "here's all the money we'd be willing to spend giving you guide dogs for the rest of your life, we invested it at birth".  Imagine if we went and just spent it all on cutting the knot.  But as with all the other things I'm mentioning, this is yet another thing that will never happen, because blind people/organizations suck at allocating resources to things that are actually effective.

My Blog