2010-06-12 13:23:58 (edited by tomi 2010-06-12 13:26:58)

Dear audio gamers,

I know some of you remember that I was constructing a game using BGT as part of my senior project last month.

It took a while, but the game has now reached a very early pointless alpha stage! I say pointless because aside from killing your enemies and getting scored, oh and dying, there is not much else to do. But it's something, right?
I plan to work on completing the full game this summer and getting all features set up. The game will and should remain open source forever, and any attempts to comercialize it by anyone will be met with scorn not just from myself but also the original concept designer of paperboy. Since you would be making money off their game idea and my own code implementation.

From the game readme:
Where to begin.
The idea for this game started as a small adventure, as part of my senior Information Technology and Programming class taught by my instructor MR. Suchy. The project was something I initiated as part of something called "senior capstones", a state-requirement for all graduates for a senior Technical Education class.
In short, I wanted to show my class that the blind can play audio games, and that our lack of sight does not in any way limit us from adapting sighted games into audio ones.
Since I only had a limited amount of time to create a game (3-5 weeks), I knew I would not be able to turn a complex video game into an audio one for the visually impaired.

Thus the idea for Paperboy was born. This game was released in the mid 1980s, and so it is not too complex, yet not too easy. Requiring both your reflex and attention, it is sure to keep you on your toes as you avoid dogs, chickens, thunderstorms, and other odd obstacles, whilst throwing your newspapers to subscribers. You can also poke some fun at non-subscribers: Vandalize their houses. Hear as you blast away someone's alarm clock, or cut their power to the vacuum cleaner. There are many opportunities for fun in this game, you just have to find it!

--
I recommend you read the entire readme file to get a feel for what is available and to come as far as the game goes. The file, once you extract the zip file to a folder of your choosing, is called alpha_readme.txt . Don't forget, you need Blastbay's bgt engine from blastbay.com.

To download the game, visit this link:
www.eurpod.com/paperboy.zip

Enjoy the alpha! Feel free to view and modify the source bgt file, though if you make changes to the game please let me know and I may be able to incorporate it into the next release!

Regards:

tomi

2010-06-12 13:51:27

hello!
good job so far..
i dont really get how to deliver a paper, i managed to kill a fiew enemies though yay!
well done

2010-06-12 14:31:53

yeah, paper dilevery sort of works-try hitting space on the alarm clock for example.
I still need some house sounds, that's why you can't deliver the paper to the "I want my paper" guy rofl

Regards:

tomi

2010-06-12 15:06:16

Great that you got something playable out of the door so quickly (and quite a tribute to the power of bgt and your skills with it).

unfortunately, i'm on my laptop where I don't have bgt installed, but will look forward to trying the game out next week when i get back to my flat and my desktop.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-06-12 17:38:54

hi,
when i play the game, i get an error saying, there was an error loading the menu, and then it exits

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2010-06-12 18:12:00

oh i got it fixed, i just had to extract the files. its a great game. good job. one question though, what do you do when you hear a man say, "i want my paper"?

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2010-06-13 13:46:08

You really should! extract the files before playing a game as I've said before, precisely for that reason.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-06-20 06:55:53

Hi tommy, finally got to try this.

I like the implementation and retro sounds of the game, and the use of crazy random enemies, the way sound effects change their pitch as you pass them is very impressive and the gear system feels a lot like the original game. However, i do have a couple of questions.

firstly, it seems near impossible to die. In the original game, you had to dodge enemies, where as it seemed this was more like a point scoring space invaders where you had to hammer things with ballistic papers.

speaking of which, I was rather uncertain as to how the delivery thing worked. You say in the documentation 2"turn to face" the subscriber house, however it seemed that moving right or left didn't change the direction of paper chucking for some reason, ---- any thoughts?

btw, I think street crossings at the least would be easy to add to the game, and might add that element of death if the regular enemies can't force you to lose, ---- eg, by having cars travel from right to left which are invulnerable to papers but which you must avoid.

stil, I'll be interested to see where this goes.

2010-06-20 23:19:39

Yah very nice game. I haven't seen an alarm clock. Is there one?

2010-06-20 23:25:50

it's the beeping noise.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2010-06-23 15:40:47

Hi Tomi!
Nice start with paperboy! I know the game of SNES - and now it's for the blind. Looking forward to an update!

Greetings,
Janagirl!

2010-06-27 09:28:53

hi everyone,

Sorry for no word for a while. I got back from a sports camp on the 19th and have been working on my hackintosh projects (running Mac OS on my PC) pretty hard for the last few days. I also got a new Macbook pro, and lately I've been drifgtin away to the Mac operating system more and more.

This means since BGT can't be run under other platforms I will always have to switch back to Windows for coding. Ah well. Will see if Philip is planning to make the engine multi-platform.

Dark, thanks for your input smile I've tried to implement enemies as best as I could. The problem is that you really can't reverse your bike, so enemies kill you when you pass them. Street crossings would require another time, at least if we were to do them left to right. I know in the original game bees also swarm at you when you're stopped, and this has been something I've thought of as a future addition since that just requires 2 timers and comparing them to each other. That's a possibility.

The game certainly isn't dead, and I will work on it more this summer for certain. I have college looming ahead unbelievably-my placement tests are on the 30th, and I have to work with my state agency in getting all supports in place. Looks like I'll have lots of done time from mid-july to mid-august though, so unless my hackintosh decides to break and I have to re-install it again 350 times like last week, the game should see an update around then.

In the meantime, any bgt gurus, feel free to look over the code and optimise it if you feel the need to do so. Only if you have time and are bored enough, though. I would appreciate any suggestions very much. smile

Regards:

tomi

2010-06-27 10:28:00

Actually, in the original game you couldn't stop your bike, you are always moving forward and can go at different speed much as in a racing game (that was why I said the controls and speed system reminded me of it).

I don't really see however how being stopped has an effect on being killed, sinse if you are moving you can stil slam into an enemy which is directly ahead of you, in fact this was what I thought was originally going to be the plan, you can either knock out enemies with papers, or avoid them by going left or right of them. However, It seemed that even when i directly drove at an enemy, ---- such as a dog and got it's sound in the center of my sterrio field I didn't get killed, I just instantly passed it, which imho made the game waaaay too easy, especially if you are going to put in higher enemy density on different days as the original game had.

2011-01-03 09:04:12

hi,
are there any developments in the game?
any tips on how to play?

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2011-01-03 10:03:03

hi sid,
read the first post.

2017-06-30 14:29:02

Hi.
The link is broken and I really want to play this game.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2017-06-30 17:15:06

yup. link is broken

2017-06-30 17:30:15

This game sounds good.

2017-06-30 17:35:35

Unfortunately no further work was ever done on the game to  my knolidge, heck when this was posted there was no new releases room, so we'll possibly not  be seeing much else as yet, which is a shame since an accessible paperboy would rock.

2017-07-03 14:02:27

I have never faced any error while Playing the game.

2017-07-03 17:34:55

Hi israelperry.
If you have the game please give it to me or send it to the ag arkive.

2017-07-06 17:33:10

I'd love for this game to return someday. I think I know where to get all the arcade sounds.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995