2020-10-17 00:47:06

Hello everyone,
I hope you all are doing fine.
I wanted to share with you this exciting news aboutOmega T, for those of you who do not know it, it is a free and open source CAT Tool.
It is now fully accessible, but for some reason, only with the Python 3 NVDA, that means from NVDA 2019.3 and higher. It does not work with the latest version of jaws as well. However I liked that it is very responsive and light, and also it’s a very good choice  for a free CAT tool. The community is very helpful and you can find various and useful plugins on their website such as the Google translate plugin to add google translate support to the Machine translation.
You can also find a plugin created for blind translators that beeps to indicate if there are available matches from your memory. I did not learn all its options yet, but I was able to learn it on my own.
Note though, that its system is pretty different, you get only the target editor called only editor, it has the source text by default then you can replace it with your translation. If you press f2, you will enter a mode in which you can see the source text followed by the target text, but you do have to be very careful here because it allows you to edit the source. After re-checking the source text you can press f2 again to return to the default mode.
This was the only confusing thing for me, since in all the other CAT tools I have used there were 2 tabs one for the source text and one for the target text plus an edit box.

“If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you’ll most certainly be right.”

2020-10-17 07:53:13

Thanks for the info. I might poke at it, but I'm probably not going to switch to it. I've gotten used to Fluency Now.

2020-10-17 08:07:26

Fantastic news, thanks for sharing. I'll deffinitely check it out. I have tried it when I was studying for my master's degree but back then it was not accessible.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2020-10-17 16:03:55

Too bad it works for NVDA only

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2020-10-17 18:36:50

Is fluency being updated at all?

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2020-10-17 18:59:52

Yes, since changing to a subscription service instead of buying fixed versions, Fluency recieves constant updates.

2020-10-17 19:47:27

@4 Jaws or other screen readers that are costing money are crap anyway

2020-10-17 20:09:52

Same here, when I was studying the only accessible CAT tool was Fluency.
It's the only one accessible, but it is not necessarily the best, it had lots of drawbacks but I really appreciate that they did care to include accessibility. I have no comments about the accessibility of course, but the program itself is very heavy and unresponsive at times. Also for some unknown reason the target and source tabs many times out of no where keep saying blank blank, and does not read the content unless I restart the program or sometimes the whole computer, this was a major drawback for me.
Lastly, I honestly hate their payment system, why not keep both options available, I mean the subscription and a lifetime version? Although you might argue that the price is quite low, and I do agree but that is for countries that do not have inflation.
apart from the price and stuff, I still liked the responsiveness of Omega T more, it feels like you're editing in a notepad. To be fair, Fluency concentrated more on the user experience though, you must be quite good with computers to install many plugins and dictionaries, spell checkers ETC in Omega T.
So I think it would be a matter of personal preference, but I just wanted to share with you since I discovered this very randomly.
In fact, I was willing to pay a programmer to help make it accessible but he did not figure out what is preventing screen readers to read, so that project was not done at the end, and I was very surprised when the NVDA with python 3 read it. I am still curious what's the reason behind that specifically lol.

“If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you’ll most certainly be right.”

2020-10-17 21:28:10

@7, your arrogancy makes you unworthy of further commenting your post. But does it work with Narrator? It doesn't "cost money" as well.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2020-10-18 22:22:08 (edited by Boo15mario 2020-10-18 22:25:57)

@9 you could make a Addon for NVDA if something is not working.
edit I also want to mention from my experience that most other screen reader slows my computer down even if I am running it on a high end system, NVDA seems to run a lot better on my pc. @9 you can claim anything you want about me. I don't give two shits about you. I do know people who also don't like other screen readers that are paid if free ones work just find for everything.

2020-10-18 22:26:33

@Boo15mario, And, same for JAWS. Either way, it's not exactly a piece of cake or walk in the park I should imagine to develop for both of them. I mean, go ahead and try if that's your view point.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-10-18 22:58:33

@11 fare enough

2020-10-19 02:02:03

@1, I have two cats who live near my flat here in Germany. They're not accessible, but they are definitely too loud when they're on a deal. smile

@9 I started with JAWS, and fully switched to NVDA almost two years ago. Is JAWS a piece of crap? Definitely not. It's really good and I rely on it when I have to do something complicated on Microsoft Word. I have switched to NVDA because I found it to work better in some respects, plus I can't afford to upgrade to a new version at the moment. If you can't get used to it, or if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is a piece of crap.