2020-10-01 17:43:46

hello.
So i am taking a computer science class at my high school this year and I am running into a bit of a problem that I am hoping someone here can help me with or point me in the right direction, or to tell me that my situation is hopeless.
So here is the situation. For the first unit of this class, we are using a program called netsblox. It is a block-based, graphical program that teaches you the very basics of coding through what is called snapping. So specifically, you have to drag the blocks to a scripting area on the screen and connect them, or snap them together as the program calls it. The problem with it is that it is not accessible in any way shape or form. When you try to go onto the site with either nvda or with voice over there is just nothing on the screen that it recognizes and can read. So i guess my question is: Does anyone know of any block-based programs like netsblox that is accessible with a screen reader that I can use in the meantime as a type of substitute? Any help you guys could give would be very much appreciated.

It seems that common sense is a lost art. I am here as a special type of artist to bring that beauty back. If you don't like my work, prove that yours is better. Paint me a beautiful picture of life. Otherwise, I have no interest.

2020-10-01 18:54:41

The short answer is no, not to my knowledge.
The longer version is that such things:

• Do not actually teach you good programing fundimentals in my experience,

• Are stupidly hard to effectively make and be understandable/usable in audio,

• And three, are just, not a good way to teach.

I took a basic Computer Science class, and I already knew several languages. So the teacher and I talked and he gave me Python assignments as alternatives. Preferably, if your teacher actually knows anything about programing other than dragging blocks, then you should try talking to them. Otherwise, just try your best to work something out with them so you can pass the class and get a good creddit.
If you'd like, I can provided a decent list of places to learn the Fundimentals and actually learn languages that will take you places.
P.S: Can you guys tell that I hold a grudge against the teachers and people who think they know more than me about programing because they can drag and drop blocks that they barely understand the use for?... Yeah, I am. Thanks for noticing.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2020-10-01 19:09:11

Yeah, you're not going to find a solution. You should ask the teacher or whoever else if you can use a real programming language, and possibly do an alternate assignment of some sort.

It's actually not a bad teaching method for the sighted, believe it or not.  But in terms of bad teaching methods for the blind, it kind of wins.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-10-02 03:18:32

The closest parallels I can think of would be Code Jumper or swift Playgrounds. Code Jumper might be targeted for a younger audience, but it might be worth looking into as it's a tactile and accessible version of the blocks thing as far as I can tell.
Swift Playgrounds requires an iPad, but is a great way to learn coding in a more fun and gamified environment. Hope one of these is helpful. Here's a link to Code Jumper, Swift Playgrounds you'd have to get from the app store with an iPad.
https://codejumper.com/

Best of luckk!

2020-10-02 06:29:09

There's Scratch, not sure how useful it would be for you, or how accessible it is:

https://scratch.mit.edu/

2020-10-02 07:06:24

@5 It is not. Like #2, by my first computer science class I understood enough languages to work out an alternative solution where I'd learn Javascript from lessons that the teacher copypasted from the internet (I don't know if she understood enough to actually teach it if she needed too to be honest) and submit alternative versions of the assignments everyone else did on Scratch. But Scratch was used for most assignments in the class, to the point where even all the sighted kids started to get pissed off because they didn't like it and wanted to learn real programming after a while, not play around with virtual blocks. She didn't come back the next semester, but they hired her again the next year and I got her for another class. But then Covid happened so it wasn't as bad as it could've been, not as much of a waste of time.

2020-10-02 17:30:34

@4: I will take a look at your suggestions and see if either of them work for me. The problem with getting alternative assignments or ahving me do something else is that the class is created by a college kind of in the area who has been looking to get kids into computer science, so they gave my school and some others around here a grant to start the class. All the amterials are theirs and I don't know how much we are allowed to deviate from that. I just wish I could already be past the first unit because after we finish this unit we get into actual text-based languages. i think this year we go into python and HTML, and maybe a bit of PHPif I remember correctly. Just have to suffer through this first part I suppose.

It seems that common sense is a lost art. I am here as a special type of artist to bring that beauty back. If you don't like my work, prove that yours is better. Paint me a beautiful picture of life. Otherwise, I have no interest.