2020-09-30 08:53:50

hy guys!
I found this on the ms website:
https://www.xablu.com/xamarin-certified … -training/
is it worth it applying for this course? is the certification worth anything, more important, is the examination accessible? has any of you done this before?
I think I can do this course now, after two years of exploring the .net ecosystem. Or at least mentally so, DK about the accessibility, that's why I ask you guys your opinion of this.
one more thing, is it true that ms is using peerson for it's certification exams? if so, than I'm afraid I have no chance, but otherwise... DK what the future might bring about.

2020-09-30 14:59:27

Depends if you want to go into programming and if you have prior experience.  I haven't done them.  My current company wouldn't care, probably.  But someone like Amazon would, if you're applying for a junior/first-job position.  The value drops off a lot after your first few years in the field, however.  Not to zero, but at that point they care more about references, experience, and can you solve our weird coding challenge.

If you're going to try to run a contracting company (for which you will need a sighted partner) certifications are really useful because the kinds of people who will seek you out for small-to-medium contracts like the shiny, so there's also that angle on it.

There are some that I know are really good though.  Anything by CNCF for example.  Though I don't know about accessibility.  By the time I was considering it, I was past the point in my career where I needed it plus had gone down a different path.  I'd have got it because at that point we were running a contracting company, but then we stopped running said company and it wasn't worth it.  But the problem with such certifications is that they're valuable because they're aimed at people with multiple years of day-to-day on the job experience in whatever it is and designed to be difficult even then.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-10-01 03:04:08

Depending on what you want to do, it could be more than worth your while to get the certification. One thing I've learned in the IT training that I am working on completing now is that yes, companies do look at the degree. However, certifications are really what they are looking for, and the more of them you have the more types of opportunities that could open up for you. As far as certification exams go, I hope you wouldn't have to go through Pearson Vue. I am currently trying to work test for a few different certifications right now, and have been going around and around with them just to merely get access to an exam using a screen-reader. I am actually surprised that any major tech organization, or any organization at all for that matter, would go through Pearson for providing their certification tests because they are not even accredited, and have a C rating with the BBB. I have submitted accommodation requests to them, so we'll see what happens. However, unless I've missed my guess, my gut feeling tells me that they'll find something wrong with what I submitted.

2020-10-01 09:36:44

Yeah, I am indeed aiming for a programmer career, if only because I think I am good at nothing else. Besides, I very much enjoy mobile app development, especially if it's as cross-platform as possible, so I might just as well try it, though the form requires a company name, really weird.