2020-09-11 01:28:23

Hello folks,

Luna RSS is the popular rss feed reader, maker, podcatcher and all around accessible Podcasting program from Nathan Tech.
With access to two separate repositories of feeds and podcasts, an easy-to-use, customisable interface and categorisable view it's very quickly proving to be a favorite amongst many people for keeping up-to-date on their favorite feeds.
Luna has been going strong for quite a while and this update is less of a new features push and more a lot of bug fixes and stability improvements. As cliched as that is.
For those wishing to skip the rest and go straight to downloads, the link is thus:
https://nathantech.net/nathantechsoftware.php

For those interested I have posted the full change log below:
3.5:
Bug Fix: the search results will now automatically focus correctly.
Bug fix: Fixed where the making of a directory, if it errored, would crash the program.
Bug Fix: Fixed where if a feed was broken in a file and the program updated it, it would never actually remember it.
Bug Fix: Fixed a bug where next feed time would be weird.
Bug Fix: Fixed where if a feed's entries were empty, the program through a hissy fit.
Bug Fix: The details section of a feed now takes focus correctly.
bug fix: Entering and then leaving a feed now correctly refreshes the feed list.
Bug fix: Fixed a bug where the program would just give up on feeds that took a while to figure out what they were doing.
Bug Fix: Reenabled the error category.
Bug Fix: Updated some code that caused the program to slightly miscalculate how many feeds were being updated.
Bug Fix: Fixed that when you arrow over a feed, sometimes if the feed was unseen the program would not play the sound.
bug Fix: Fixed where if you selected any of the last two or three items in the update feed regularity, in settings, the program would crash.
bug Fix: fixed where the first four update feed regularities did not match what they said they did.
Bug Fix: Fixed a focussing issue with the settings.
bug Fix; Fixed where if a feed link has a question mark in it, like dropbox.com/MyFile.mp3?dl=1, the streamer would break.
Bug Fix: Related to the bug fix above, downloads of these files has also been fixed.
Bug Fix: Fixed the downloading of entire archives.
bug Fix: The info table for files now saves properly after use rather than irregularly and most often, never.
Bug Fix: Related to the change above regarding questionmarks, this no longer breaks the info table.
bug Fix: The program now saves the feed correctly when you recategorise it.
Deprecation: The feed.dat file placed in the downloads folder is no longer of use. Delete at your leisure.
Keystroke: Added control r to refresh the feeds list.
Misc: Updated the documentation.
New Feature: The status field now shows feeds being updated, not just a number.
Performance: The program now saves feeds as they are updated, rather than when it exits. this should get rid of the seemingly stuck Luna RSS task.
Performance: Upgraded the fallback protocol for if a feed is broken. to that end less feeds will break and those that do can easily be fixed.
Performance: Upgraded one of the reading and writing modules which should increase speed.
Typo fix: Fixed a reference of feed when it should have said update.

As always, enjoy the release!

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2020-09-11 01:41:22

the updater whent with out any issues

2020-09-11 06:50:36 (edited by Chris 2020-09-11 07:30:51)

I'm having a few problems with this program. When I try adding the following feed, I get errors and am unable to totally get rid of the feed until I delete the RSS Data folder in my Documents folder. http://feeds.howtogeek.com/howtogeek

The program doesn't seem to close properly. I'm finding multiple entries for Luna RSS in Task Manager. I understand you can hide the window with control+H, but closing the program in the normal way should kill all processes associated with it. Another possible solution to this would be ensuring only one instance of the program can run at a time. What's going on? Downloaded podcast episodes should have the audio file named according to the title of the episode, not a random string of characters. Speaking of downloads, is there a way to delete individual downloads from the program? I can't find a way. There should be a way to filter podcast feeds by all episodes or those that have been downloaded to the device. Keep up the awesome work on this. I love it!

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2020-09-11 13:59:33 (edited by dardar 2020-09-11 14:04:02)

Hello!
So I got half way through answering this and then the net crashed.
*folds arms and lets out petulant humph*.

In any case hopefully I am about to answer most of your questions post 3:
1. Multiple tasks: Make sure to kill all tasks, then launch luna, make sure it is the latest version. Upon launch you may notice several tasks at first while the program checks your feeds for updates, but these will disappear once the checks are done.

2. Downloads: Some podcasts organise their episodes to where every file is media.mp3. In that regard in 3.4 an info table was introduced where unique identifiers would be assign to each file so that they would not overwrite each other. In 3.5 this was modified slightly so that if you look at the file name, it shows the unique identifier followed by the episode name.

3. Deleting downloads, head to rss data/feed name/downloads, delete at your leisure.

4. Deleting feeds, you can either do this from within the program, or just delete the folder with the feed name in your rss data folder.

5. the Howtogeek feed.
I took a look at this and it is indeed very curious.
When viewing the link from the web browser, it does indeed show the rss feed. If you attempt to load it from within Luna though, I even went so far as to load it step by step through the process, you are instead given a slightly less useful, more faulty feed.

Luna, bless it, keeps trying to understand why and figuring out a way it can get the feed for you, this is likely why you are seeing multiple tasks.
I hope this answers your questions.
Edit: Literally just after posting this I noticed you are using http:// I also recalled earlier that when I glanced at the status of the feed by right clicking on it it said perminently moved.

Try this one instead, it works for me!
https://feeds.howtogeek.com/HowToGeek

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2020-09-11 19:14:57

In addition to Luna RSS not closing properly, I still have the exact same problem I had with the last version.

1. Search iTunes for knowledge fight.
2. Subscribe.
3. I changed my save path to c:\podcasts so I didn't have to go digging for downloaded episodes, but I'm sure this doesn't matter to what happens next.
4. Tell it to download the entire archive. You'll get the error the path c:\podcasts\Knowledge Fight\download(s) link cannot be created, and it tells you nothing was downloaded. I added the parens because I can't remember if it was download or downloads, I think it was c:\podcasts\Knowledge Fight\download though. Shouldn't matter, this error should be easily reproduced.

It knows the feed is there, it made a bunch of update sounds and the latest, 480, which is 1 of 494 I think because they have some episodes without numbers in their names, showed up just fine, right at the top of the list. I don't know if it's this one directory but I doubt it, I'm pretty sure it had similar issues last time with other podcasts, even when I reinstalled and left everything as default. Man I would so love for this thing to work right.

2020-09-11 21:28:42

@dardar I'm surprised you don't have a donation button, or at least an email connected to a Pay Pal account or paypal.me link.

2020-09-11 21:37:16 (edited by omer 2020-09-11 21:37:55)

this is defenetly my fav program of yours. this thing introduced me to world of easy listen/find  podcasts lol

2020-09-11 22:15:12

@5 I shall follow your steps right now and see what happens.

@6 why would I?

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2020-09-11 23:05:16

Fantastic! I've had some trouble with disappearing feeds in 3.4, so hopefully they'll be staying now smile Glad to see that you're still working on it though, it's a great piece of software and very useful for sure.

The random strings for file names is a bit frustrating at times, but I don't mind taking the time to manually rename the files, it gives me a chance to reorganise them in a way I lik too, lol.

Thank you for making this, as people have said before, it's nice with an alternative to QCast.

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2020-09-12 16:43:59

Thanks, adding the s to the http in the How to Geek feed did the trick. I'm still having the issue of the program opening multiple processes and not closing all of them, even when I press Alt F4 to choose the exit button. The system tray icon still appears and pressing enter on it opens the program again. Closing it deletes the icon from the system tray, but it seems like some processes are still running.

2020-09-12 17:08:17

@10 Have you looked at the status field? Does that say next update in <x>? If it doesn't, that's why.

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2020-09-12 17:34:49 (edited by Chris 2020-09-12 17:35:44)

The status field says next update. I just discovered that the program doesn't actually close when you press AltF4. I have to press the exit button in order to get it to disappear from the system tray. however, there are still a couple of processes listed in Task Manager called Luna RSS.exe even though I'm pretty sure the program should be completely shut down.

2020-09-12 17:38:33 (edited by defender 2020-09-12 17:39:21)

@dardar
Because some people might like to support your work as they find it useful and would feel guilty using it without contributing in some way for the time you've spent on coding?
You allow donations on your MUD don't you?  So how is this any different...

2020-09-12 17:59:32

12 i think you can change that behaviour on settings
13, well if someone wants to donate, they can do it through the website

2020-09-13 01:23:33

I'm unable to download the latest episode of Mosen at Large with the program. I can stream it just fine, but choosing the download option results in a progress window that's stuck on 0%. Any ideas why this doesn't work? I have another request. If you haven't added this, please add support for podcast chapters. This will make navigating podcasts that support the feature a breeze.

I really love this program, but it seems to be very buggy. It's a great concept, so please don't take this to mean I'm bashing the wonderful work you've done, because I'm definitely not. This is a great piece of software and would be even better if most of these weird bugs can be worked out. Thank you.

2020-09-13 16:07:29

I can confirm that, even when pressing the exit button, there are two processes for LunaRSS.exe which need to be manually killed in Task Manager. I'm very happy to report that downloading of entire archives is working as expected though, this was a feature I was sorely missing in the previous update of the program.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2020-09-13 20:20:35

I do have to restart my pc to kill two tasks that are running even though I have no feeds loading

2020-10-01 05:51:03 (edited by defender 2020-10-01 23:16:51)

@Dardar
I finally tried this program and I'm really enjoying it!
I do wish that activating the desktop icon would put you back in the same instance rather than starting a new one, that errored feeds would delete properly from within the program, and that you could schedule updates more specifically, but aside from that my only other gripes, the Alt B shortcut not working when browsing a feed, the bug report option not working, the time and volume sliders in the media player not being labeled ETC, are very small.
However, I am having a problem with two feeds that refuse to pull up the stream/download menu when I press enter on an episode, and they are both from podbean and both in .xml format.
https://gammaradio.podbean.com/feed.xml
https://warstoriesofficial.podbean.com/feed.xml
Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to create this for us, and I would really appreciate it if you could check out those feeds when you get a chance.

2020-10-01 12:18:31

yeah as i said earlier, this thing really introduced me to world of podcasts in general
I mean since its so easy to brouze them now...