2020-09-01 21:34:56 (edited by redfox 2020-09-01 21:35:58)

I'm thinking about buying Mortal Kombat, or something of the like, and also, I'm going to atempt joystick support in my releases, therefor, any specific ones you guys recommend?
Eddit: I lkie to overdo titles, so this title took me a solid 2 minutes of moving around words and deleting things until it all fit like I wanted, and even then, it's bad grammar. I talk to much... sad.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2020-09-01 21:40:07 (edited by Minionslayer 2020-09-01 21:43:30)

I mean, I'd just go with the bog-standard Xbox One controller. It's solid, shouldn't be *too* expensive, and is the controller that I think devs would try to implement anyway.
I suppose you could also get the Xbox360 controller if you wanted to cheap out just a little bit, but I don't recommend cheapping out too much as then you tend to get *very, very* poor controller hardware, and you also might be missing out on features such as force-feedback and the ability to have a character walk faster the more you move a joystick (dunno what that's called).
By the way, good grammar, big_smile.
No, really. The only nit-picky thing I'd say is that, I don't think this is a question, so doesn't need a question mark, though I suppose you could just ask this in real life with a higher ed pitch at the end, which would warrant a question mark. I guess just a personal thing I wouldn't do, though, you know. I don't pretend to know literally everything about English grammar anyway!
Oh... and about talking too much? Well we haven't really in a while, so I suppose I'm inclined to disagree?
See? *That's* when I use question marks!

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-09-01 22:00:25

Just get the Xbox 1 controller. It's really good and doesn't do the jittery bull dink that the cheaper ones do. It can work through Bluetooth or hooked up through USB. If you have dead batteries, you can just plug it in and play. The only downside is deciding what to do about batteries since they're not built in. I got some rechargeable  ones at 2K mAh which work well. The play 'n charge kit or whatever it's called I think is only 1100maH which wouldn't get you as far.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-09-01 22:03:20 (edited by Exodus 2020-09-01 22:07:33)

the 8Bitdo SF30 PRO is good if you want a tiny, wireless controller with a built in battery that will do multiple modes.
It just looks like a snes controller that's managed to sprout dual analogue sticks and a set of shoulder triggers. When you connect it up to windows it just acts as a standard xinput controller by default, but can be switched to dinput if you need to.
The down side is that because it's so small, rumble isn't particularly powerful on it and battery life is  shorter than an xbox controller running on AA batteries. It still beats a ps4 controller though.
This is assuming that the xbox controller falls into the unreasonably priced category, if it doesn't then it is the best controller and you should go for that one.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2020-09-01 22:18:31

Standard xbox one controller is the best IMO. A Bit pricey but its a great controller. I am waiting for the next gen xbox controllers to come out since they use USB C.
Low end or cheap controllers tend to be shite nowadays, analogue sticks go bad, bad usb connector, etc.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:
https://discord.gg/2duutDtGFa

2020-09-01 23:06:49

@NevEd, That, and you're missing out on force-feedback potentially, or the whole thing feels so light, cheap and plastic!
For an old one I tried, some of the plastic cuts felt especially cheap and sharp, and the face buttons needed to be pushed with so much force, it was almost impossible to press multiple comfortably!

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-09-02 02:35:41

Do these require external hardware to connect to a Pc? and what programs am I using to map the controller?

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2020-09-02 02:38:18

Nothing with Xbox 1, plug it in or sync via bluetooth and you're good.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-09-02 02:39:45

For wired xbox controllers you just plug them in is my understanding. But I haven't tried it myself, so maybe wait on others to confirm.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-09-02 03:00:49

yep for wired controllers you will just need to plug it in. for the xbox wireless you can use bluetooth or a xbox adaptor if your pc does not have bluetooth.

2020-09-02 06:02:52

I’ve been thinking about getting one of these. Does anyone know, offhand, if the game Swamp has a completed controller config? That is really the game I would like to use it for and that will really decide if I get it or not

Is this the real life?
Or is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality

2020-09-02 15:27:06

You would have to map the sticks using an external program like JoyToKey. You could do it one of two ways. Make it map the stick to the turn keys - the shitty solution. Or make them map to the mouse - the awesome solution. You could also have your cake and eat it too by mapping the d-pad to snap left and right. Me personally, the left stick would be walk and straffe, and the right stick would be turn because that's how like every FPS does it and it feels natural to me by now.

I never found JoyToKey all that pleasant to use. I mean, it is technically usable, but like, I never figured out how to map the mouse and some of the options don't have explanations and they aren't really self-explanatory. Maybe others have had better luck or more more patience to try different things.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-09-02 15:32:31

Mapping the mouse in Joy2Key is a pita, especially with NVDA. It's on a separate tab in the config box (where you map keys to buttons), but pressing anything in that box maps it. And it's been like 8 years and I don't well remember how I did it, only that I didn't have any analog sticks so mapped turning to the shoulder buttons.
It can be done. If there's a better joystick-to-mouse option out there, though, do that instead.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2020-09-02 16:33:17

Is there anyway to configure rumble mode? For example, if I wanted it to vibrate slightly every time I fired, could I do that?

Is this the real life?
Or is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality

2020-09-02 17:04:28

The standard Xbox One controller works great with Win10. I got [
this kit
which is great, but you can just use bluetooth if your system has it on-board. I also got [
this 2-pack rechargeable battery set
that charges via USB-C.
If you were considering something more arcade-style, I'd also highly recommend the [
Mayflash F500
which is probably the highest-rated fight stick on the market today. I believe you can even get a wrist strap that gives vibration feedback, but I don't know how well it works. The unit itself is really nice and designed to be pretty compact. It might not suit your exact needs, but figured I'd toss it out here.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2020-09-02 20:10:35

No vibration because the game would have to tell the controller to do it.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-09-02 21:03:21

Check [
this out
for the Mayflash F500 and supporting vibration.

2020-09-02 21:28:46

Even so, the game would have to tell the thing to vibrate. The information for that peripheral is very scarce, but in trying to establish what it did, looking into the questions section shows that it doesn't work with games that don't have rumble support. So buying this device for Swamp would be useless, since Swamp doesn't have controller support, much less vibration support.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-09-02 21:35:58

What's the difference between vibration and rumble? Is rumble a general term, or is it the name of an actual haptic feedback system by a manufacturer?
I'm not sure I'd want this anyways - something about vibration on my wrist versus on my hands seems lacking in the traditional gaming experience.

2020-09-02 22:24:23

Force feedback really doesn't exist anymore from what I can tell. It was a system that used motors to move the stick or steering wheel in question. It would simulate vibration under circumstances by cycling between force on opposite sides of the axis.

In a flight sim, this is great, because now you can simulate trim. Just trim until you don't feel the stick fighting you. In racing games, you feel the force of the turns. If you break traction, the wheel gets really loose.

Rumble and vibration are the same thing really. In most controllers these days, there are two motors, one smaller one and a larger one. The Xbox 1 controller supplements this further by having one in each trigger as well as the main ones. I think this one is more of a haptic thing than ever, because you really do get some precision out of them in games that support them.

Basically, you can adjust the amount of vibration given to each motor independently. You can even create patterns or waveforms that make you feel certain things. The smaller one is good for faster vibrations, the bigger one is more forceful. Combine the two and you can simulate different experiences.

The first iteration of this that I remember is the rumble pack for the N64 controller. You had to insert that into the slot on the back and it gave you just one motor, but it was good for its day. I think they came out on the PS2 and onward, and the original Xbox all the way up to the Xbox 1 had them. Same for the gamecube and wii I think had it with the nunchuck attachment. I can't remember if the original PS had it. I know the first controller didn't - the one with no D-pad. The first iteration of the DualShock might have though.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-09-03 02:14:23

For games that have native support I wouldn't have to do anything fancy, right? Just plug it in and we should be fine?

----------

2020-09-03 03:46:16

@20 thanks for that info. I never knew the status of vibration across controllers.
@21, yes, assuming your using a controller that supports it. I'm guessing you're referring to the Xbox One controller.

2020-09-03 03:51:43

@21 yes, correct.

End racism
End division
Become united