2021-01-24 21:46:36

Hey Samuel,

I'm glad you got it working. HEre's a thought… Maybe you could package up your vM and post it somewhere, even if just in DropBox or whatever, to make things a little easier for folks who might be interest in future?

As for your question, generally the overview map "m" is helpful in terms of figuring out where things are in the world. Each square on that map is something like 24x24 tiles of the one you move on, as far as I know. You'll want to press "B," to stop that map from blinking, as otherwise it can be kind of confusing.

Hunger and thirst are generally announced via status messages, as far as I remember. You might want to set things up in game settings so that only the current turn's messages are retained, just because it can be a bit confusing otherwise.

Good luck, and I'm glad to see other people enjoying the game.

2021-01-24 22:30:37

@25, I’ll definitely check out the discord server, and thanks for the link. As for what I’m using, in all honesty I’m just using Orca. For some strange reason TDSR was acting up when I tried using it, like, it kept repeating the same few lines of text over and over without shutting up, and it had a strange obsession with repeating the letter Q every so often. For example, if I’m using Orca and I want to load up an existing save, I press enter, Orca announces the name of my world, which for reference is horse head, I press enter again, it gives me the names of my characters, one more enter later and I’m good to go. However, with TDSR on the other hand the following happens. I press enter and TDSR announces, “qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq horse head”, another enter and it says the name of my characters, one more enter and it says, “qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq”, and then reads the game information on a loop, without stopping. I’ve got no clue just how I managed in messing up TDSR so much, but truly I’m not finding that many problems when playing with Orca, its slow at times, but I find it a lot more usable than TDSR for some strange reason.
@26, thanks for the tips. As for me packaging up my VM and posting it, that sounds like a pretty solid idea, I’ll look into doing that over the week if it could help other people access the game easier, and make it just a bit friendlier to get going with the thing. Though one thing which I will say right off the bat, I have not gotten the sounds to work just yet, so I’ll probably want to solve that before I think of perhaps posting it.

Hit up my YouTube Channel at
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC9wWO … R85ILY1VQ/
Their you'll find some gaming videos, and what ever els my confused mess of a brain decides to upload. Hope you enjoy it and Stay safe, folks.

2021-01-24 22:39:51 (edited by zkline 2021-01-24 22:40:37)

Samuel Farrugia,

I forgot about the tdsr qqq issue. THere's a simple fix you can do to solve it.

You are basically going to want to put the following into a file named .bash_profile in your home directory, that is, bash_profile with a period in front of it. This will be run when ever you log in.

export NCURSES_NO_UTF8_ACS=1

This basically makes Cataclysm, and other programs, use simpler characters to draw parts of themselves, instead of trying to use fancier things which don't really work well with tdsr.

If you put that line into the .bash_profile file, and then log in, you should be able to run it with fewer issues.

Also note, you probably won't be able to get sounds working with the text-based UI, I think that requires graphical tiles, unfortunately.

2021-01-24 22:42:21

Sorry for the double post.

You should be able to test that particular change by exporting the variable using the exact same command, just at the shell prompt before you launch the game. I don't know how much experience you have in using Linux, so apologize if you already know this.

2021-01-25 07:33:50

HEy,

I'm not sure if this is a bug with Cataclysm, TDSR, or both, but I've noticed some weirdness as I explore the game tonight. I thought the bug around the cursor location had been fixed, but it seems to jump around on occasion. It's not as bad as it used to be, but still kind of confusing.

I'm trying to figure out whether this is a screen reader issue or a Cataclysm one. The TDSR codebooks to be correct, from what I can tell, which is why it's a bit confusing.

All in all, I wish I could just get Speakup working for everyone.

2021-01-25 22:43:37

HI guys. @ zkline, for some reason it seams like when ever I try to create a blank txt file called .bash_profile, the VM automatically deletes it or something, at least, when I tried creating it, I couldn’t find it anywhere on the virtual Machine. Naming the file just bash_profile without the period at the start seems to work just fine, at least it doesn’t vanish into nothingness, yet as soon as I add the full stop, the file disappears out of the directory I put it in. Could there be a reason why this is happening?

Their you'll find some gaming videos, and what ever els my confused mess of a brain decides to upload. Hope you enjoy it and Stay safe, folks.

2021-01-25 23:41:44

Samuel Farrugia

THe "period," in front of theme makes it not visible to most common tools for listing files, it still exists. You can still edit it if you know the name, you just won't see it most of the time. If you do something like

"ls -a", in the terminal, you'll see all files, including the many hidden ones which use this convention.

IF you're primarily using Orca and the graphical file manager, I'm sure there's a "show hidden files," option in the menus somewhere. I'm just not sure where it would be, as I'm generally a console-only user. The file hasn't vanished, it just looks like it has.

2021-02-08 22:03:38

Hi folks, so I wanted to drop by and ask if the tile version of Cataclysm is playable, or if we can only use the pure text variant? I’m asking cause, as I understand it, sound packs only work for the graphical version.

2021-02-10 00:20:36

Samuel Farrugia wrote:

Hi folks, so I wanted to drop by and ask if the tile version of Cataclysm is playable, or if we can only use the pure text variant? I’m asking cause, as I understand it, sound packs only work for the graphical version.

@Samuel Farrugia, No, the tile or graphical or SDL version of Cataclysm is not playable because screen readers are absolutely inaccessible with it, to play it as you say a pure text variant is needed such as Linux console with a proper screen reader - SpeakUp, TDSR, Orca, etc

As @zkline has already said as well and as you may know, even the Windows pure text version does not work because it pretty much merely emulates the console rendering Windows screen readers useless when trying to use their cursors to read the text

Currently the game is in 0.F stable release content freeze - thus, developers will concentrate on working on merging the existing pull requests and handling the optimization, continue to work on blind accessibility fixes and tweaks, yet I'm still curious Samuel - have you managed to get the Linux Virtual Machine to work with Cataclysm?If so, what screen reader are you currently using?

2021-02-10 18:40:50

@TheSecretLurker, thanks for the reply. Shame about the tile version being inaccessible, the sound pack looked cool, and I could imagine it being a pretty handy way for us to gain some otherwise rather obscure info, like if a zombie is trying to break through a door, if a creature stepped on a landmine, general combat info etc.
To answer your question As to what screen reader I’m using, I’m currently rolling with the standard Orca screen-reader. I’m finding it quite usable with the game, though there are points were it runs into some problems, most notably when going through the mini map. Don’t get me wrong, when I navigate over individual tiles of the map, it announces what they are, though in most cases it reads some random characters before the name of the location, for example, “***ffffffff//fffffff***h@t@g**vgg***road”. As far as I can guess, those random characters are due to Orca trying to read the map graphics, like the Fs which denote patches of forests. Just as a matter of interest, are you guys aware of any way I could disable the map graphics, or is it a situation were I have to just put up with it?
Finally, out of curiosity, would anybody be interested in me writing an installation and getting started guide for cataclysm? I was mulling over the idea for a few days, and just wanted to see if anybody would be interested in me making one, before I sit down and dedicate time to writing it up.

2021-02-11 22:08:14

@Samuel Farrugia, Once again, I believe that for any in-depth information you'd like to get about the game's controls, it's current console accessibility and the gameplay questions - all of these are going to be answered as soon as possible by the official devs and players on the official discord server of Cataclysm - https://discord.gg/jFEc7Yp - I greatly encourage you to join it since the developers actually do need as much information about your experience to figure out how to improve accessibility

I think that you can disable the pixel minimap by going to settings, graphics and turning off the pixel minimap, in settings, interface you can change various things as well - including the sidebar position, message log flow, look around position and etc

Oh and does look around work for you?There are 2 commands in the game just like in majority of the roguelikes which are the foundation of accessibility and navigating in them with screen readers - press x look around to look at individual tiles around you and read them for you by moving them with the arrow keys, though, you can always change the keybindings, and press v or uppercase v by pressing Caps Lock and v or Shift and v at the same time for getting the menu of nearby items or monsters around you with their respective coordinate locations

2021-02-12 18:41:14

I really wish I had a way to play games like this, but I only gots windows, maybe I could use a vm, but I'd half to have someone walk me through it

2021-04-10 13:22:23

Hello folks. I’m currently working on creating some audio tutorials for Cataclysm Dark Days ahead, which will share a few tips and tricks that I’ve picked up over the course of me playing the game, and which I feel make the game a lot more friendly to the blind. At the moment I’m working on the first one, which regards getting familiar with the layout of the main menu, and how to go about setting up a world. There is one question however that I’d like to ask, before I complete it, and that regards mods. In the mods folder of Cataclysm, there around 72 or so in there, however when in the game, there is only a fraction of that amount. Does anyone have some information as to why the game is not loading all the possible mods?

2021-04-11 01:19:53

Samuel Farrugia wrote:

Hello folks. I’m currently working on creating some audio tutorials for Cataclysm Dark Days ahead, which will share a few tips and tricks that I’ve picked up over the course of me playing the game, and which I feel make the game a lot more friendly to the blind. At the moment I’m working on the first one, which regards getting familiar with the layout of the main menu, and how to go about setting up a world. There is one question however that I’d like to ask, before I complete it, and that regards mods. In the mods folder of Cataclysm, there around 72 or so in there, however when in the game, there is only a fraction of that amount. Does anyone have some information as to why the game is not loading all the possible mods?

Hey, Samuel, the thing is, when creating a new character you need to have a world generated, basically, during the world generation phase you can pick which mods you want to enable, if you don't enable them, they'll still be in mods folder but will not show up in your newly generated world basically, feel free to ask anything else if you have more questions about Cataclysm, I'm eager to help with whatever questions you may have :smile:

2021-04-11 09:27:57

TheSecretLurker wrote:
Samuel Farrugia wrote:

Hey, Samuel, the thing is, when creating a new character you need to have a world generated, basically, during the world generation phase you can pick which mods you want to enable, if you don't enable them, they'll still be in mods folder but will not show up in your newly generated world basically, feel free to ask anything else if you have more questions about Cataclysm, I'm eager to help with whatever questions you may have :smile:

Hi, I am aware of the capability to select mods when generating the world. What my problem is, lets say hypothetically we had mods x y and z in the actual mods folder. When I go over to create a new world, and go about trying to select mods, the game will only ever recognize and present mod z as a possible mod, and will never show mods x and y. even when looking through the different mod categories, like black list, rebalancing etc, there are a large percentage of mods which the game doesn’t acknowledge exists, and only displays around 25 percent of them.

2021-04-12 01:44:58

Samuel Farrugia wrote:

Hi, I am aware of the capability to select mods when generating the world. What my problem is, lets say hypothetically we had mods x y and z in the actual mods folder. When I go over to create a new world, and go about trying to select mods, the game will only ever recognize and present mod z as a possible mod, and will never show mods x and y. even when looking through the different mod categories, like black list, rebalancing etc, there are a large percentage of mods which the game doesn’t acknowledge exists, and only displays around 25 percent of them.

It's a strange issue, technically, some mods are considered to be obsolete, that is, there are "obsolete": true lines in modinfo.json of some mods which doesn't make them appear during the world generation due to mods actually being obsoleted or their content being mainlined into the game basically, but it should actually display 75% of the mods in cdda/data/mods and not 25%, hmm

2021-05-10 21:01:45

Hello people of the forum. It is I once again, strolling back on into this topic with a few more problems and issues, which far exceed my tiny 15 year old brain’s capability to solve, cause well, problems have become my middle name by now. Essentially the issues I am having are 2 fold. Number 1, I can’t for the life of me seam to be able to comprehend what exactly is the latest stable release of cataclysm. I’ve heard tell of a stable 0.F version, but the GitHub repository on ubuntu only installes the 0.E-1 variant, whilst on the official site, the most recent thing that I could find was 0.E-3, so I am a bit baffled as to the whole situation. Number 2, I’m having what some might term to be, a critical failure when it comes to launching the game. Yes, I can’t for the life of me get the thing to run. The GitHub version which you get when installing with apt works perfectly fine, I just type cataclysm into the terminal, and we’re good to go. However, when I try to launch the game after downloading the most recent release, both were stable and experimental are concerned, I’ve had no luck. I’ve normally downloaded the tar archive from their sight, extracted it, went to click on cataclysm-launcher.sh, and nothing. All that I get is a menu with the options to either A, run, which does nothing, B, run in terminal, which also does nothing, and C, display, which similarly doesn’t run the file. There’s an .exe file in the directory as well, and clicking on that just flatly does nothing, it doesn’t bring up the menu that I had with the .sh file. Following some advice, and what I found on the net, I tried using chmod to run the shell script, but no dice. Typing in “chmod U+x cataclysm-launcher” prompts the terminal to react in no discernible way, not saying if its worked or not. Then when I proceed to type in “./cataclysm-launcher”, the terminal reports that no such file was found, even after I had cruised on over to the directory using CD. At this point, I’m blayming the fact that I have the expertise of a tin spoon when it comes to using Linux, so if somebody could point out what daft mistake I’m doing, that would be great, and I apologies for having just so many problems that I can’t seam to solve on my own.