2020-07-29 16:54:01

So, despite going through two blind schools during my childhood, I find that my experiences regarding them are limited.

I want to know how was your own experience within such school? Don't shy away from any topic, even it if it is related with bullying, I experienced it a lot of it during my school days, all the bullies were at least eight years older than me.

"Why do you want to ask such a question? surely it couldn't be because of curiosity," you might think.

And you would be correct. You see, I am planning to write a piece about my experiences, and to balance it out I need to know information from others, whether they live in a different country or the same, to provide context for my situation.

So, since I'm asking too many questions, I'll start with something myself.

I feel that the blind schools makes the parents of a child feel as if they are the only ones who can do anything for their child, (I don't want to spoil it all, but my mother thinks that all that experience made me "Self reliant.")

Once the piece is published, I'll post the link in this topic, so you can read it as well.

2020-07-29 17:27:15

I have always gone to public school but knowing people who went to blind school I think I have an interesting take on things.  It seems to me as if the parents cannot handle the fact that the child is blind so they shove them into an institution.  This view also comes from what I see a lot with parents of blind or otherwise disabled kids.

Please support me by checking out my ko-fi shop:
https://ko-fi.com/kjsisco56927

2020-07-29 17:50:08

I don't know,
I think @2 is on to something. If you want an inclusive experiance, want to live out life among normal people, then go to a school with normal kids. Special schools might teach you tricks and techniques of living with disabilities, but it isn't that you can't live without those things or can't learn them elsewhere. May be summer schools for blind can teach tricks and techniques, and let the normal schools be normal schools with differently abled people standing shoulder to shoulder with normal people.

2020-07-29 18:28:12

lol this topic again.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2020-07-30 10:43:24

@2:
I'll be honest. my first reaction was "What do you mean that my parents couldn't handle the fact that I am blind?"

but then I thought about it more deeply, and I believe that even if they do love me, it was rather hard for them to educate a child whom they have no idea how he could actually learn, or indeed he could learn at all.

@3:
I think your idea has some merit, specially since whether we like it or not, we do live in a world inhabited by the largely sighted people.

Also, its not just about blindness, this actually can cause people to think about other disabilities as well, since I believe they should be included in such program.

Going by the current trends though, I doubt that'll happen anytime soon, since this requires policy makers to think about us more than just charity cases.

@4:
Really? I rather not find those other topics by digging through the forum if you don't mind.

2020-07-30 13:52:24

Some past discussion:
https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/3208 … -to-share/
https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/2343 … the-blind/
https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/1480 … y-perform/

Personally, I went to a school for the blind for two summers (and was not impressed), World Services for the Blind in Little Rock, AR (and hated it), and the Louisiana Center for the Blind (and had a much more positive experience, but lots to complain about and lol at the NFB propaganda. Or to put it another way: LCB was great for me, but the fact that NFB members operate LCB does not take away the problems with the NFB.). I can probably dig up more detailed responses from past discussion if you want.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2020-07-30 15:32:09

@6:
your help is welcome and appreciated.

2020-07-30 16:52:07

I guess to me, schools for the blind are like a whole new way to define special ed.  We can do much better than that.  As far as the so called blind programs.  Well, poo on them.  I won't touch on the whole NFB thing because that can get ugly.

Please support me by checking out my ko-fi shop:
https://ko-fi.com/kjsisco56927

2020-07-30 20:35:27

wen i first went to my public school that had a  blind teacher there, and well a person that would help me by brailling my home work, stuf like that, and the first day i went there, my mom came with me, and i didn't have a cane, my mom really didn't no what to do with me, but we got there and, she's like, you don't have a cane, wares your cane,  lol.

Bach is an astronomer, discovering the most marvelous stars. Beethoven challenges the universe. I only try to express the soul and the heart of man."
― Frederic Chopin.

2020-07-31 11:09:37

Humm,
Actually, even in a normal school, it is mandated by law that they don't reject a child simply on the basis of disability. So, if you go to a school and they reject you, you know who's crossing the line.
Most of the normal schools, the high quality ones, will take steps to make their environment more inclusive and friendly towards disability. I recommend trying some ICSC schools or even private schools, if you are from India. The fees would be high, but they will help you. Sadly, most of the government schools, fall behind in this matter.

2020-07-31 14:27:17

@9:
Interesting that you mentioned the cane.

People have a lot of misconceptions about it as well, like how it has some way of telling you the way where you're going, as if it has some sort of modified GPS which only blind people can understand.

I never actually learned to use one, I don't considered it to be a big loss, since even if I knew how to move with the cane, I rather not go out on the chaotic streets of India, where bad drivers abound, packs of dogs roam, (At least where I live,) and occasionally cow, or the group of cows...

While the sighted people do oos and ahs whenever they see bunch of blind people going on their business outside, they never realize that they always have someone who actually can see enough that they can take a person with them on the road.

@10:
I did spent from the end of my middle school to the end of my highschool on a sighted school. While the principle there was unwilling to take me in at first, (I remember how many of them we tried, many of them refused flatly, and many of them used the excuse that they have their seats full. this was around 2013.) But he actually explains to me and my family that I would encounter many challenges, from troubles at studying, to probable bullying, (He was wrong about that though, while I did have some trouble with my studies, I never was bullied in a sighted school. I was bullied in a blind school though.) And all of that he explained instead of dismissing me, or making excuses.