2020-07-28 22:25:13 (edited by brad 2020-07-28 22:25:39)

Hi, I just downloaded an addon for NVDA to tell me the ram usage and it's 91.6 CPU 54 percent, the thing is; I've just opened this page, and have a youtube video open plus the page to get the addon and it says I have 90 something ram used?

My ram is only 4 gb so that could explain it I guess but it's insane, can someone help me?

As far as I know, it slowes my pc down to a crall sometimes, are there any tips apart from get a new pc or upgrade the ram?

I just checked and it's gone down to 86 point something and the CPU is at 9.6, oh, steme tries to log in when I start my pc, I'll have to stop that but can't remember how.

I'm gone for real :)

2020-07-28 22:44:57

hello.
chrome and youtube in turn use a lot of ram. so if they all are open it's natural for it to be full.
in fact myne is 3.11 GB full right now even though I'm only typing here.
for managing you're startup items, go to task manager if you;re using windows 10, there is a tab called startup in there. and if you are using windows 7 open run and type,
"msconfig".
in windows 10 you must press application on each startup item you want to disable and press disable. and with windows 7, just uncheck the items you don't want, press OK and restart.
if you are using any system maintenance programs, it may be the culprit that uses your ram. try to configure it better.
if you didn't update your windows in a while, do so. it may have a fix that uses the system resources more efficiently.
finally, scan your computer for viruses. it's unlikely, but it may be a malware that uses up you're resources.
hope these help, good luck.

2020-07-28 22:45:01

same prob with me, my pc suddenly starts using very mutch ram without any reason

Suffering's what keeps me alive.
If one never suffers, one doesn't live propperly.
So embrace the pain, the suffering life has brought you and will bring you in the future

2020-07-28 22:45:55

That's correct, and you don't have any choice but to upgrade.  Windows itself uses around 1 GB, browser tabs will use anywhere from 20MB to 100MB, NVDA grabs a good chunk, if you've got Dropbox going that'll grab another 30 or 40 MB from time to time, etc.  There's a reason so many of us consider 8 GB the minimum nowadays.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-07-28 22:49:10

For optimizing RAM usage, I'd recommend disabling all programs you don't need starting up when your computer does.
You can do this in the default Windows 10 Task Manager, or in msconfig. In each, scroll to the startup or services tabs and uncheck as necessary.
I think this is relatively normal, as I was experiencing similar behaviour on my GPD Win, which also had 4GB of RAM, so I don't think this is too much to worry about. I've hear Windows 10 specifically takes a good chunk of those resources. Maybe turn off and disable inbuilt Windows functions with the help of a tool like WinAero and switch to classic variants of tools, such as Classic Task Manager or Classic msconfig. These mirror (in look and feel, but also in behaviour) the said tools in earlier versions of Windows (usually Windows 7. You may also consider getting Openshell, which is a start menu  in which you can customize how it acts, mimicking a couple of different versions of Windows. These won't necessarily decrease your RAM usage, but may make NVDA feel more responsive.
As well as that, I found that using the default file browser (File Explorer) was slow with NVDA, so my replacement is Xplorer2 (which significantly improved NVDA's responsiveness).

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-07-28 22:53:03

You didn't wanna hear that 4GB might not be enough, now you're seeing the proof. The more you do at once, the more it's going to eat into that. Keep browser tabs to a minimum, keep programs that don't need to be running closed,etc.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-07-28 23:28:33

Either install more RAM if possible, or stop using so many programs at once. Windows takes up 1.6 to 2 GB alone, so you don't have much to work with.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2020-07-29 02:04:08

chrome is generaly a resource eating program. You should use other browsers like firefox,, especially because chrome also has the habit to start nasty resource grabbing programs in the background and don't close them even when chrome gets closed. And let me guess you have 4gigs and 2 cores? My old laptop had the same stats and it worked pritty good for what it was. I have learned that in most cases looking in the ram or the cpu usage doesn't have much to say, for me i always look how the performance goes and if it sucks i sort processes after ram and look what eats ram. I use classic taskmgr btw, donno if that is possible in new one.

Lamas with hats, but with sponge bob as carl Stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvAUQt … subscriber

2020-07-29 03:09:59

Firefox isn't really that much better, if at all.

My Blog

2020-07-29 03:14:41

I don't think firefox does the whole, "Let's just launch 16 random extra processes just because we can", thing. That said, I'm not a fan of the browser. It fell out of favor since about 45 or so. A shame really, because I used it from 3.6 on until then but after that, I couldn't deal with it anymore.

There's no magical thing you can do man. Either try to manage your resources or upgrade the RAM. memory's fairly cheap.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-07-29 03:22:34

@10
Firefox is now multiprocess as well, I believe.  Also those processes don't necessarily matter as much as you'd think.  I'd have to look into it specifically, but it's often possible to read the wrong set of numbers there and come away counting tons of shared regions of memory.

What I can say is that unless Firefox has done a ton of stuff I don't know about, V8 wins as a JS implementation for memory usage, so much so that it's even able to use 32-bit pointers on 64-bit systems now through horrible black magic.  Lots of processes isn't actually a problem in itself.

My Blog

2020-07-29 12:47:35

@ironcross, it wasn't that I didn't want to hear it, it's simply that the computer worked fine at the time and now is working fine again.

The next time I get a laptop or PC, I'll look into getting 8 gigs of ram but for now; I'm ok with what I've got.

Having an ssd makes it so I can restart my system very quickly if I have to.

@everyone else, thanks for your help, I disabled quite afew programs so hopefully that helps.

Oh by the way, I'm using firefox and have been using it for quite afew years.

I'm gone for real :)

2020-07-29 13:36:48

@10 just outa interest, what so much changed in this version? As long as i can remember it always looked and worked the same but i mean i wasn't there for ever.
@11 Yes it is, but what i mend and probably also ironcross was chrome launching extra programs that are not needed at all for the browser to work, example, software reporter tool.exe, but still even get a 4 core machine to waste tuns of resources for unknown actions and also ram. Also this tool doesn't close when you close chrome which means that it is hard to close with new task manager.

2020-07-29 14:36:12

You probably know what i'll say now. I want you to guess. I give you 10 seconds. In the next line you're going to have the proper post. Drum roll...
Switch to linux! I mean, linux is amazing and its free and its great and everything.
Honestly i need to say linux some times runs worse on this pc than windows does, but it works. I use manjaro with the latest stable kernel and lts also installed.
I dont have problem with proprietary software, so i dont have a problem with windows, but linux is cool and i'd recommend trying it.
I personally use mate but i know a visually inpaired guy that uses arch with I3 and a xfce application launcher and as far as i know it works fine so why not try it

Proud contributor to the manjaro project! www.manjaro.org

2020-07-29 14:55:42

@13
Unless I'm very much mistaken Firefox has background services as well.

Number of processes doesn't matter.  Everyone thinks that it does.  But it doesn't.  Modern operating systems can handle 10 times the number of processes that your home computer starts up.  We just cling to that because it's an easy to understand number, and everyone likes easy to understand numbers.

My Blog

2020-07-29 14:56:06

I don't think linux runs worse, I think the accessibility stuff makes it appear that way, and I really... really really really wish that would change. Speech dispatcher is just not up to the job.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-07-29 17:19:50

As someone who ran Linux from 2012 until 2019, Linux is great, but the accessibility is not. If Linux accessibility was better, I would drop Windows and switch back in a second, but I got tired of always fighting with Linux accessibility. I like that I don't have to wonder if my speech will work when I boot my computer, and I don't have to restart Orca every few minutes because it crashed.

2020-07-30 01:32:15

@15 It has, but with a huge difference. First, could be wrong here but it is what i observed, they all start as firefox.exe, that means you can if you need kill them in one shot with taskkill. Also these close when you close the last firefox window, you even realize that when you close them out with taskmgr and at some point they start closing themselves.
@17 i once tried geting orca to work on my vps, and i couldn't even get it to start, it always said it couldn't connect to accessibility bus or something, installing desktops and stuff like that didn't help either, was planing to install orca remote but kind of gave up since then.