2020-07-28 00:25:31

Here's the thing.  Sighted people will more often than not fail to ask the question, even if they do think this way.  If you're capable enough and you spend a lot of time around random sighted people, it shows.  They don't mean anything particular by it, but I do think it's the majority, and what matters to me is if they keep thinking that way once they spend 5 minutes in a room with me or not, not if they originally thought that way.

There is a thing I call the god factor.  There's probably a better name for it.  I'm reasonably talented at math, and in so far as blind people go I'm better than 90%.  I'm also reasonably independent, enough so that I lived alone in college.  We call these things normal.  But because I broke the stereotype, I spent most of college and a good bit of high school with people being more or less amazed and thinking I was some sort of math genius or something because how else could I do it, and what do you mean you like to cook? too?  Wow!  Mind you most people didn't come out and say it.  But it showed.  If you break the stereotype by enough you become the blind guy who breaks the stereotype, and people stop judging you for yourself and don't know what to make of you anymore.  They also, some of them, stop seeing the work you put in as well.  That's why I call it the god factor.  It was never "he tried hard", it was always this innate thing that must be special about me that no one anywhere could duplicate, and obviously I had to be 10 times smarter to deal with overcoming the blindness because even walking to class must be some sort of huge, scary daily challenge.

But that's not the worst thing.  The worst thing seems to have been a Florida problem, given that it stopped once I moved to Seattle.  The worst thing was the random person once a month or so who would come over and tell me that they don't know how I do it, if they went blind they'd probably just kill themselves.  In those words.  It happened enough that my reaction kind of just became "come on, not another one", and as far as I know my parents got a similar reaction when I was a kid, also with an additional helping of "You're such a good mom/dad, taking care of two blind kids".  Florida isn't very good with disabilities, let's put it that way.

"Blind people can't have sex" trolls are very far down my list of things sighted people say, well below a bunch of genuine stuff that's worse.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-07-28 00:34:50 (edited by Mudb0y 2020-07-28 00:37:06)

I'm also curious, but as someone sayd already there's supposedly no problem with sex what so ever so i guess i'll find out when i'll be maried.
@24 Yeah, do not bodher. It was pretty dump, allthough the question genuinely interested me in that matter. Not that i thing that a woman would ever confuse a fucking middle finger with a pe***s, but how we do sex in general. As i sayd i guess i'll find out when i'll be maried

Proud contributor to the manjaro project! www.manjaro.org

2020-07-28 00:42:26 (edited by Lucas1 2020-07-28 00:46:27)

@27: Put tab A in slot B is generally not that difficult, no. An average blind virgin is probably about as good as an average sighted virgin at sex. I think in general blind people are more likely to remain virgins than sighted people (at least guys) until a later age, but that's a different discussion although it would fit under the domain of this topic title.

2020-07-28 00:56:45

@20:

Where can I get those t-shirts. I just snorted water out my nose laughing at the first two. I want those now because that's the sort of humor I got. I'm the sort of person that would find @7 funny in a horrifically fucked up way because that's how my humor works really.

A;Also can we stop with 'the sighted' like it's one giant hive mind? It's not, they are people too, it's not like omg you got sight you're a fucking alien! Just....what the actual fuck is with the whole 'this sighted' crap anyway?

Also just going to point out it's not just blind people who get this, it's any and every group that get the questions like that.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2020-07-28 00:58:51

Also @28:

No, no, I've got two womenlovely females with five sisters each, so... /sarcasm. There's nothing wrong with either being a virgin or a sex fiend or anywhere in between, not in the least. Who really gives a shit if somebody is a virgin or not exactly, what's the big deal anyway?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2020-07-28 01:01:32

Wow @20, I hope you weren't serious about that bit of advice at the end of your post. Also, I don't know if it's the city I'm currently working in, or the fact I've managed to encounter people who are less grabby, for lack of a better word, but I haven't had to deal with that problem at all, knock on wood. I used to think that, just because it happened to me a lot years ago, that all people were inconsiderate assholes who believe that manhandling someone is a great way to help them. Now I wonder if it has more to do with the fact that, at least I think, I show more confidence when walking, even if I don't totally feel it. Having a terrible sense of direction really sucks. But I tend to walk at a good clip, partially because, at the moment, I want to get the hell out of this ridiculous heat as soon as possible, but also because that's what you're supposed to do if you don't want to be a target of a mugging or what have you. My morning commute is early enough that unsavory characters being around is a pretty real possibility. It's not, like, the ghetto or anything, but it's not the greatest of areas either. So, in addition to it being common sense to take precautions, I honestly wonder if, A. sighted people think, "oh, she's good" in general, or B. it would be too much of a hassle for them to do the grab anyway.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2020-07-28 01:14:20

@30: There's nothing wrong with being a virgin. I was using it as a comparison point, since it is what everyone starts out as. And my comment about blind people being more likely to remain virgins is based in the different way lots of sighted people view us.

2020-07-28 01:36:43 (edited by Jeffb 2020-07-28 01:43:23)

I was in a diversity class for my master's program. I was the only blind/disabled person in the class. I remember clearly everyone being open to talking about issues the LGBQ population faces, and race, and culture but when ever I brought up issues I faced as a blind person and issues blind people face in genral it would be a quick comment and we'd move on. But we'd spend hours and hours talking about the other stuff. I made a point though to bring the conversation back to not just blindness but disability in genral. I know I caused discomfort and I hope by doing so I've educated some sighted classmates.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2020-07-28 01:48:51

@28
It helps that I'm gay, perhaps, but if you get on any of the sex-focused apps, get serious about it, and have good social/independent living skills, you won't be a virgin for long.  Only challenging part is finding an accessible one and getting your profile set up.

Sex, at least as provided by the internet, sort of sorts itself into the people who have and care about having amazing gymnast supermodel bodies, and everyone else.  Thing about being in the everyone else group is people in it either don't care or are self-conscious.  If they don't care you're good, If they're self-conscious you can't see it.

I think finding a long-term relationship is probably harder just because the way those work is that you need to interact with enough people in a meaningful way and being blind slows that down, and obviously if you're the type who doesn't want sex outside ne you'll be a virgin for a while, but the modern landscape for this stuff is super targeted and you can totally do it if you want.

Also if you have your own house/apartment and can host, I promise you'll be super popular with all the people who don't or can't.

My Blog

2020-07-28 07:12:13

@26, I've had this happen to me as well, just with different situations, but I've seen it happen.

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

2020-07-28 17:58:59

I was never actually asked about this stuff but I would most likely say something like, "I don't know about you, but I have no problem with that."

Please support me by checking out my ko-fi shop:
https://ko-fi.com/kjsisco56927

2020-07-28 19:11:58

The post is removed by now, so I don't know what it said. Judging by the people's reactions, probably something stupid.
But, speaking of sex and remaining virgin, I also had a reproductive health class for the period of 6 months where we talked about sex. It was more health focussed, so not all the challenges were discussed, but everyone was very cool with me in the class. I am a shy person, but they all made me feel comfortable and helped by giving verbal explanations of what's being displayed on slides, how things look, what the shape of so and so organ is, etc etc. And that's not even people with same gender, but people with other genders also freely talked, joked and helped me. I am not actively looking for a relation or anything, simply because I feel it's not the right time.
Boy I miss my college now so much!

2020-07-28 20:22:33

Ok, so the post was already removed by the time I saw this topic here. Could someone PM me and explain what happened?

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie

2020-07-28 20:24:59

@38
Someone got curious about how/whether we could have sex, decided to ask, and also to use it as a trolling opportunity, so instead of being polite but something you probably shouldn't ask they used the most vulgar formulation they could come up with.

My Blog

2020-07-28 21:04:41

Good I'm glad the post was removed.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77