2020-07-24 13:14:31 (edited by wing of eternity 2020-07-25 02:02:02)

this  is my small universe in which tthere is a galactic battle raging between the insectoids and the esoteric warriors known as the astral warriors, this universe is newly created, and I would like to here any suggestions from you guys. the insectoid are a  speashes with black gargles of blood sucking tieth, charged with super particular thought implantors that reap the core of   reapers, and black holes. fortunately, they wer for a short time locked in the prison of flacrohu. as for the insectoids they can dance on the moon crashed and  they fight with-bionicisatorious lazer flash kannons with the power to christalize any core of any world ,
if they can cristalise a planet from the super chardeg electric lazer battery, then surely cratfolu the brother of fracoltfu locked them in his nova prison for a reason. after fracoltfu failed to hold them a battle started which would be known as the nova galactic crossing.
cratfolu and fracoltfu they are the 2 hammer gods  shapeshifting gods of the 18th cristal realm ruled by enhamodius.
endamodius himself tryed to destroy the insectoids but there lazer packed moon dice guns with electric gravaitonic magneticedised galvan weapons, and there space station s. with those weapons the insectoids resested all the attacks by the elder god enhamodius,
as  for 1000 years our teacher hath told from the book of Asluven and Craybon the two brave warriors that reclamed the cristal halls of enmodius after the final galactic nexus that was holding back the insectoids was destroyed, and there hords of lazer kannon antenas wer massacring millions of people from the cristal realm enhemodius decided to entrust the mighty flash bringer and the apocaliptic scepter crown to asluven and craybon
enhemodius had given asluven and kraybon the galactic binder, and the astral scepar of the seventh crown and the fire fordger, with those the 2 brave warriors fought agains the insectoids
but they slowly them selfs changed there plans after encountering the insectoids, turning half insectoids half astral warriors, but enhemodius didn't find out that, only before his death did the warriors confess,  of course Enhemodious fellt betrayed, and and his woonds intencified there agonising pain, but Enhemodius the ruler of the 18th astral cristal realm understood in the end what the warriors had faced, and decided to let them be known in the future only as heros  leting the betrayal be lost in history with his own death
as you can notice this is the battle between the astral warrior kingdom and the insectoid colonies,
but in to the black still compandium chambered armored with trapping swords of vulcanic friction the warriors found the goblin black ice key which was stolen by the insectoids, countless centuries before there bearth, the key was there ancestral pride, which after there escape  they returned it  to enhemodius,
flashy multy coloured creatures with antenas 16inches long and 3 meters in diametar being capable to extend there harts in to snake bombes charged with magnetic galvenised electricity that can decimate a planet hole.
well and don't forget there shape shifting ability.
enhemodius is the leeder of the astral warriors, and the ruler of the 18th cristal dimension which are the dimensions that the astral warriors live in.
Asluven, and krayben, the 2 betrayers, that weren't betrayers, afterall, since at the end they returned to enhemodius also spelled as enmodius,. cratfolu and fracolfu are the 2 councilers of Enhemodius, and the keepers of the nova prison.

Now I wait for your suggestions, how should I expand this small universe?

---
"A good ruler gives the goblet to his servants. He never drinks from it himself. The servants need his glory. He does not cary the flame alone.
For a spark does not lit the flame, but the spirit holds it in place. Forgeting that leads one to destruction.
(Enhemodius before the Altar of the Broken)"

2020-07-25 02:03:38

well, any thing about this universe? how would you expand it? I just wroat those things in a skype group, and now I got to compile them in a single message. what would you add to it?

---
"A good ruler gives the goblet to his servants. He never drinks from it himself. The servants need his glory. He does not cary the flame alone.
For a spark does not lit the flame, but the spirit holds it in place. Forgeting that leads one to destruction.

2020-07-25 11:34:16 (edited by Dark 2020-07-25 11:36:12)

Grammar.

I'm afraid Wing of eternity, at the moment I am just finding the way you've written this universe hard to read, and so I just cant' take any of these details particularly seriously, since you've just put down a load of details and vague descriptions without anything to pin them on or any sense of order in the way they're written, you've just listed that there is this thing and there is that thing and this thing did this thing at this time and then at some point in the future something else happened and then we have something else, really I just can't get any of the details straight in my head with the way you've written this.

Sorry to bomb on the idea, I don't say this to be mean or as an attack against you personally, but there just isn't much else I can say, since right now I just can't really get a handle on what your trying to achieve with this idea, or what this so called universe is supposed to be, which might also explain why others haven't replied to this topic.

Perhaps if you write a slightly less hard to read description, and give us an idea what this universe is supposed to be for, setting for another story, rp game etc, it might be easier to have something more constructive to say.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-07-25 13:24:02

@ Dark, thanks very much for what you said. but first I really don't know if this will be for a game or something else. but but first you mean that I have to tell a liniar story, or something? or  should I choose some characters and work on them more? I am asking because I am knew to this and I really want to do something with this universe.

---

2020-07-25 14:24:18

@wing of eternity, that might be part of the problem.
you've presented a bunch of unrelated details and not given anyone reading a reason to care about them, neither in terms of relating them to a story of a given character, or written something with the epic quality of a myth which might interest someone in it's writing.

If Tolkien had written his universe like this it would've come out like:
there were some godlike beings called the valar, who created the world where men and elves lived, only one of the Valar had turned evil and created orcs and dragons and other dark creatures. So the Valar tried bringing the elves to their lands beyond the sea, which had got created to keep them away from Morgoth, the dark valar, but some of the elves rebelled against them and went back to middle earth, which was the bit of the world not ruled over by the valar where Morgoth was.
These elves that went to middle earth also wanted to get back the simarills which Morgoth had stolen, which had the light of the two trees of valinor in them, which were two trees that had been made before the sun and moon, since the  sun and moon were made out of the fruit of the two trees, and there were many battles with morogoth and the elves and other elves that lived in middle earth.

This is what I mean. I've given a lot of details of tolkien's legendarium here, but I've not put it in a coherent order or really explained much, neither have I really made any effort to invest people in the writing by working on poetry or mythic quality. Reading the above summary you would be forgiven for wondering "what the heck is the point!"

If this universe was just a skype conversation, fair enough, but if you want it to turn into a piece of literature, or a background for a game or anything else, you need to work on presenting it to the reader in a more engaging way.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-07-25 15:17:13 (edited by wing of eternity 2020-07-25 15:19:18)

let me give you my first thoughts on the this thing, first I was just saying to myself, well I will create a skheletoen I made a bit of it im, just think that the story is a skeletone, if it is then I made just the outline,. My skeletone doesn't have the nec, and the cranial bones,, only an outline of events, that don't seem connected because I didn't give a reffrence point, probably I should begin talking about a character, for example, Enhemodius. and tell his story. I think of him as a character like wise like gandalf but dark like Sauron.
In any case, I am not sure how to go about it, but I can begin describing the realms, a bit, and then the life of a character, and how does that life affect the story.

---

2020-07-25 16:35:30

I'm afraid Wing of Iternity, you seem to be thinking of things slightly the wrong way here.
If you want to write these details down purely for your own amusement, or to help you in future writing, fair enough.

if however you want to interest others in them, you really need to simply look into writing engagingly, since the worlds' best idea or universe won't mean anything if nobody is interested to read about it.

I'd suggest first, deciding what kind of story you want to tell.
You might be giving information about a character in this world, you might be telling us the creation myths, as Tolkien did in the silmarillion, but either way you have a distinct story you want to tell, since if you tell a good story, people will be interested in your universe.

At the moment for example, I don't really care about either the insectoids or the astral warriors, or the identity of this god or whoever imprisoned the insects.
Neither do I know much about either race other than that they are at war and a little of their weaponry, and neither do I really have much reason to care, as you haven't related it to characters, or given me poetic enough writing to really grab my interest I'm afraid.

2020-07-25 16:41:20

You're writing down facts as they pertain to your universe. It's a database though, not a story. If you want people to read, you must evoke feelings in them. You must make them care about what's happening. If it's something you created, then you will most likely like it; especially since you've posted it here. That doesn't mean that anyone else will though. To make them like it, you must make them care. To do that, you need to give them more than just an outline of events.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-07-25 19:18:15

far in the cornors of time where twin rivers meat the untraind eye, with wrathfull splender intertwine , where the esoteric element, and mystical knowledge meat, for , for one river was the mystical knowledge, the other was of imagination, giving the astral warriors the rase who satelled in the cristal realms, across the rivers, the cristal realms being the space in in which far away the rivers sprang, for it's unknown if the cristal realms created knowledge and imagination? or did the rivers create the realms. in any case the astral warrior are capable of using the metaphysical powers of the river to shift the cristal realms. eventually the astral warriors  created mankind, which wer a bit below the capabilities of there formmer architects. humans could rarely understand the underlieing intricasies of the web that was fordge by those astral warriors, that first wer there architects. It is cleare however that humanity has also the potenshal to rise above there condition, and choose with whom to side, even if there complete autonomy is invisible to them. the insectoids a rase that was gathering power for  by means of conquest saw the great splendre of the cristal realms , and in a swift decision, they decided that from no on, those reals would be there's to command. After all life is conflict, and by the same conflict the insectoids would thrive, and create there own war civilisation as they did in the pas, and if the astral warriors would be to weak to face them, then they weren't incapable to rule there teritory. The battle would decide who is strong, and weak.       
Enhemodius stood on the serin 18th cristal realm, with the cristals of energy sarrauding him in a never ending stream, as energy he could take a body of his own, but as an astrall warrior, that will be a grave llimitation, a lowering of his condition. . It was the path of the astral warrior to live in the cristal realms, as it was the way of man to live in there cityes on there physical ground, by summing a corporeal form, as it were. But for us the mystical rivers the ancient creations  that spring from splender with a deadly vortex they overwellme the cristal realms, but they never overreach. In time , those weren't manefestations of the mind, but actual rivers, that flowed and impaacted the energy of the cristal empowering the warriors. of course not all of them wer warriors, since this  metaphysical kombat art was only for the once experienced enough to train. bu there purpose wasn't kombat, but radder protection, self defence. The path of ccrwelty is for the untamed for the ordenary, of course doing nothing in your own serenity was also a sighn of weakness, a sighn that the insectoids wer more then happy to exploit. Enhemodius stood, and the cristal shiverd, in reverence
Enhemodius  said this war was out of our control, himanity would never choose to join us, "they are nnot ready too" Enhemodius thought a bbit saddenned by the prospect     of the insectoids destroying the worlds of the builders,, what power is that to destroy through conflict, and the

---

2020-07-25 19:20:39 (edited by wing of eternity 2020-07-25 19:21:19)

well then a question comes naturally, who are my readers? who is going to read this, I guess the problem for any writer, is his audience, because that writer doesn't or wouldn't know what kind of people would read his story.
so, in the end how will I know what the audience wants? how will I engage people in to it?

---

2020-07-25 19:59:39

I wouldn't write to pander to the audience, I would start by writing compelling characters and let them develop until it is them who make the choices, not you.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-07-29 04:31:36

OK, so here are my comments. In the very first post:  I'd say you need to tighten things up. There are two many characters, and it's like you're trying to set up three or four backstories. I feel like you're trying to add mythic depth without having something to begin with. Also, the whole powers thing. The Insectoids have like twelve ways to just up and destroy a planet. That feels like too many. There's also the problem of their prison. How are they imprisoned, if they have all of these powers? I'm not saying they can't be, I'm just saying you want to nail some of that down.

In the next post, you've rewritten a lot of stuff. But I feel like, again, you're tossing in all of these allusions and speculations, do the rivers come from the land or does the land/mind make the rivers.  There's too much of that, and not enough actual stuff. I get what you're trying to do. But you need some kind of plot/outline first. You have to have some kind of plan for where you're going. That doesn't have to be for the whole thing. Maybe you go "OK, the betrayers, but they weren't really betrayers", how's that story work? You don't have to write the whole thing, for us or even for you. But you should at least have an idea in your head of what that is and how it fits into the larger story. Again, doesn't have to be concrete. Maybe you don't know the full story yet, but maybe you write a modern story, in the current world I mean, and something in it is inspired by this betrayers myth.

Oh back to the first one, is the ruler alive or dead? Sometimes you talk about him like he's dead. As I understand it, he set up the thing where the betrayers' heroic deeds are remembered, and not they're betrayal. then he died. But he also seems to be the current ruler. Is that a reincarnation, somebody who took the old ruler's name, what? We don't know. We should, if the ruler's going to be dead but the current ruler has the exact same name or is in fact the exact same guy who knew the betrayers way back when.

Characters:  Start out with a little dictionary of your characters. If their names are going to be spelled three different ways, there should be a reason for that. If not, figure out a spelling you like, and stick to it. Write up a thing with the spelling of the name you like, and then a little bit about them, Khnaerdaag, advisor to the current king, her name means biter of the day, i.e. somebody who is ambitious, grabs the day with their teeth. You don't need an explanation of the names like that, I just gave that as an example. You could just do the name and the role.

All of this stuff can be changed later, as you keep it going. So if it turns out to be for a game, maybe you change things because of interactions in the game. Maybe you just rewrite something, maybe you find a better name. That's fine, you can change all of that stuff, until you put it out in some sort of permanent form outside your head, so for example, if you publish it on a website or something, as a series of stories. But you should start working this stuff out. I get that it's cool to come up with ideas and just get them out there. But I also feel like it's easy to just toss out ideas and then never get to them, never sit with them, even if just in your own head, and figure out where they go, or if they're worth hanging on to. There you go, that's my advice.

Oh yeah, one last thing, and this sort of applies to the powers and stuff. Your stuff needs to mean something. I'm not saying bionicized electro-lasers or whatever need to have detailed plans or something, but right now, all of that stuff is just technobabble. It's meaningless. I don't know what makes a bionicized electro-laser different from a magneticized breaker beam. Sorry I'm just making up examples and not pulling from your post, but hopefully you get what I'm going for. Also, watch some of your adjectives. At one point you say something like, the insectoids have antennae that are a foot long and three meters in diameter. If you made that hollow and put it on the ground, it would mean I could easily step into it, and then have enough room to lie down in it, and then quite a bit more. You know those plastic pools you can get for children that you can fill with water and put in the back yard? It would be about as shallow as one of those, but like two or three of them stuck together in a line for how wide it is. I mean I guess if that's what you're going for, that's cool, it's your universe. But it seems like a pretty strange way for their antennae to be.