2020-07-14 19:06:36

Hi, i am new linux user moving from windows, but i know the basics of terminal and gui.
Is there something that can i do to feel the same confort a in windows?
What apps should i install first on my fresh linux distro?
Thanks and regards.

Hey, if you wanna chat, add me on discord.: VIPPotato#3363
or you can chat with me on telegram: https://t.me/VIPPotato
Regards, and take care.

2020-07-15 17:46:20

First of all, what distro are you using? I've heard Mint feels and looks like Windows, but I don't know if it's accessible with screen readers.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-07-15 18:31:58

I am using debian, because it supports i386 architectures.

Regards, and take care.

2020-07-16 00:43:27 (edited by zenothrax 2020-07-16 00:44:32)

You may not want to or be able to switch to Mint, but you can install Mate, the desktop used in some editions of Mint, if you haven't already.
To install Mate run this command from a terminal window:
sudo apt install mate-desktop-environment

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2020-07-16 00:54:44

Yes, don't. Accessibility just isn't there.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-07-16 06:28:47

I'd say you should use Windows in conjunction with Linux, just like most mac users  use bootcamp or a virtual machine.  If you're a die hard linux user you won't get too far I guess, as far as accessibility is concerned.

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2020-07-16 11:41:33

I've choosen mate during installation, this is the only one environment i feel confortable in.
#6 I am using windows aswell,but there are things that windows can't do, and i wanna learn something new.
This shitty pc will handle only windows xp, but i hate this os, so  debian is my last hope to revive it.
Regards.

Regards, and take care.

2020-07-16 16:47:20

I echo the sentiments of 5 and 6. Linux is just not it. This is coming from someone who used it for a week alone.

I've been going by Bryn, which is now reflected in my profile. Please do your best to respect this :) Mess ups are totally OK though, I don't mind and totally understand!
Follow on twitter! @ItsBrynify
Thanks, enjoy, thumbs up, share, like, hate, exist, do what ya do,
my website: brynify.me

2020-07-16 17:07:40

I ran Linux for around 8 years or so, and I would stick with Windows. I returned to Windows at the end of last year, and I am loving it.

2020-07-16 17:55:51

Yeah, I still don't *really* understand why it's so attractive honestly. No Steam, no audio games, no Microsoft Office. What's so appealing? The security? The hacking and terminal nature? I like the first, but don't care for the second.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-07-16 20:50:34

No, it is because performance of linux is better, try to run windows 10, cause win7 is not getting security updates, on netbook with 2gb of ram, one core intel atom n270.
You just can't do it, or if you will do, it will be too slow for working.
I just wanna revive this little crap, and that's the only reason why i insstalled debian on it.
I don't need games, and other things like that, because it will not handle them.
I just wanna have system that is secure, and stable.
I just wanna use pluma, listen to some music via vlc, and browse the nternet with it, but i need some alternatives for some windows apps that are accessible.
Regards.

Regards, and take care.

2020-07-16 21:10:40

I have been a hardcore Linux user for five years now. A few of my favorite applications are Tintin++, Emacs, and Mopidy.

2020-07-16 21:13:28

I ran Linux alone for three months two years ago, and have it on a Pi 4 now. No, not much has changed. Ideals are great. Wonderful even. But they will only take you to what the sighted developers want. The whole GNU accessibility statement, which sounds like it was updated like in 2005:

https://www.gnu.org/accessibility/

is just... I mean, who still uses Flash and Microsoft Silverlight? They don't even deem it important enough to update this page. So why should we deem them important enough to feel loyalty for?

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-07-16 21:50:39

In the end, pragmatism wonout over idealism. i kind of went all in on Windows; i just bought an Microsoft 365 subscription today. I never thought I would do that. Although, I did install the Writage plugin, so I can write Markdown in microsoft Word.

2020-07-18 09:22:15

I used Ubuntu for 3 days or so and decided not to. Main reason is that it's accessibility is really crappy and Orca is not that well maintained as NVDA on Windows or VoiceOver on MAC and as it seems, no buddy cares much about it, so only terminal is completely accessible, but when we're looking into GUI apps, it's a different storry though.
My choice is Windows and Vagrant + Virtual Box with Ubuntu on the top of it or WSL2 + Ubuntu, but all these choices due to development / programming reasons, not because of usage. Acording to the computer that's been revived as a post author mentioned, I guess Linux is the way to go, although nothing very good in case of accessibility can come from that kind of stuff.