2020-06-19 15:52:12

Hey Folks,
I subscribed to TTHub using PayPal to get a teamTalk server. This was 4 hours ago, and I didn't receive an E-Mail containing my Server details yet. Should I be worried or am I just too impatient? big_smile

Greetings,
Ciri, the Witcher
(If you want to get in touch with me, contact me via twitter (ciri1240)

2020-06-19 16:00:19

Stay calm and wait. Give them at least 24 hours i'd say.

2020-06-19 16:07:52

Okay. I'm quite inexperienced with such things and don't know how long that may take.

Greetings,
Ciri, the Witcher
(If you want to get in touch with me, contact me via twitter (ciri1240)

2020-06-19 16:44:01

If they setup the teamtalk servers themselves manually, it might take even longer, depending on when they work and with regards to the upcoming weekend. But waiting for at least 24 hours before contacting them again seems to be a good way to start things.

2020-06-19 16:50:39

Hi,
Many businesses have a buffer time of at least 24 hours before you should follow up. As Hijacker said, it might also be complicated by the upcoming weekend, so you could either wait until Saturday or even Monday to contact them again. I do believe though that Paypal has processes to get your money back if you don't receive the services you payed for in a reasonable amount of time, so even if they don't get back to you for 30 days or whatever the time period is, you should be able to appeal it.

2020-06-19 17:51:09

If you're concerned about TTHub being legit, you can put your mind to rest on this matter.  I've used the service and it works just as advertised.  It took a few hours when we subscribed but we received an email with all of the necessaries to get up and running.  As others have said, give it time.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-06-19 18:06:17

What do they charge? I bet for the same amount of money or less, you could get a functional VPS and have shell access and do whatever you wanted besides teamtalk.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-06-19 18:23:00

Sure you could, but for someone who's not an absolute tech with a case of terminal geekitis, this is the easy way out.  NO need to worry about setting up, maintenance or any other under-the-hood stuff.
Since you did ask though, the prices are either 6 dollars monthly or 50 dollars yearly.  I can set up my own TT servers but wanted to give this thing a test because I know the guy running it and saw others using the service and wanted to see for myself.  In short, if you want a tt server without getting super deep into TT itself, this is as simple as it can get.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-06-21 02:47:54

I actually found it coincidental that a business owner would detail exactly how they did business, which, in some cases, might be helpful if you wanted to know they did it, but it might also open the door to unsuspecting attacks, unless of course they have secured their server with things like Fail2Ban and things like that.
Where are these servers hosted? How do you run so many? Etc.
TTHub is currently hosted on a Digital Ocean server in New York. My Operating system of choice is Debian.
Why shouldn't I host my own server instead?
You need a fast internet connection to accommodate more than a few users. TeamTalk does not mix audio streams together, so as more people transmit, the required bandwidth multiplies. Many home connections just aren't good enough. Hosting from home requires a reliable machine that never shuts down, fast and private internet, and knowledge of forwarding ports. Setting up a server like this one requires extra time and working knowledge of Linux. TTHub servers are set up quickly, backed up every hour, and are backed by a rock solid server from Digital Ocean.
Source

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2020-06-21 03:03:43

9, that isn't information one could use to attack the server. Apache, for instance, freely volunteers the version it is running on, as well as the operating system in it's 404 pages.
http://arqeria.com/blah

2020-06-21 03:09:09

If I'm not mistaken, though, that information can be obscured in a few conf edits.
In fact, two years ago someone on Facebook posted a link to an error page by a phone provider, and it clearly displayed what OS it was using.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2020-06-21 05:26:00

You can create custom error pages, yes, and hide the server your using. However, its not completely hidden; the server header will still give it away. (That can be turned off though... not sure how -- I don't use Apache that much.) As for the claims in post 9, you don't need knowledge of how to forward ports, or advanced knowledge of Linux, to get TT going. You do need that knowledge if you want to secure the server. (Unfortunately, TT is insecure by design, so people can still sniff traffic and get login details and such, and you have to pay to get it secure -- and there's no information on what security they use, other than the fact that they use TlS, supposedly.)

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-06-21 06:11:00

If I'm not mistaken, that sounds like a wildcard SSL or TLS certificate from a domain registrar like GoDaddy, especially if it is going to be used for a subdomain or SIP, like TT.example.com.
In some newer distros, I was able to use Letsencrypt with Sertbot, which is supposedly free, but I think there might be some limitations on what it can secure.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2020-06-21 07:07:28

@13, I'm not even sure what your talking about. Letsencrypt has no limitations whatsoever and can secure anything that uses TLS certificates.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-06-21 10:42:04

The owner of TTHub sets up TeamTalk servers manually, so be patient and give it time. TTHub is a reputable organization, and they will get back to you with the necessary details once everything is set up.

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27

2020-06-21 12:27:45

6 USD/Month for a TeamTalk server is way, way overpriced in my opinion, unless they give super high file storage

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com