2020-06-14 15:18:26

Hello. My friend sent me some talkback sounds, but he converted them from midi and was not able to replicate the reverb so they are very short. Does anyone by any chance have recordings of the sounds with reverb? I have never used android so I don't know if this is possible or how hard it would be. My friend said getting sounds without tts is hard, but if anyone can do this for the old talkback sounds that would be great.

2020-06-14 15:34:33 (edited by Meatbag 2020-06-14 15:35:28)

just get an old talkback APK, extract it with 7zip or anything else, enter a folder called res, then a folder called raw, the sounds are there
if you send me the APK I can zip the sounds for ya

2020-06-14 15:46:01

Or you can get the Audex APK, change the file extention to .zip, extract it, and get old VO, old talkback, new talkback, and more sounds.

2020-06-14 16:07:24

may I have the talkback midi sounds you have?

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2020-06-14 18:34:21 (edited by Minionslayer 2020-06-14 18:50:33)

@Ty: I, to my knowledge, was actually only able to get access to a random, miss-match of sounds, and I know for sure not all of them were there. Anyway, that's not the version of TB I think OP is referring to. This soundscheme was present on Android Kit-Kat (4.4.2). I know that much at least cause I used to have a device running Kit-Kat.
Unfortunately I got the same. The files are in MIDI format and I don't have some sort of TB soundfont or VST.
Oh, and here's the APK.
Why are the sounds in MIDI format anyway?

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-06-14 19:06:45

I don't know how, and i do know that Midi means just the instructions to play the notes with certain velocity and whatever, but when you play them in windows media player, you do get the actual sound.
Don't know if you can capture that output or just convert them in to desireble format using that somehow.

2020-06-14 19:09:17

@MyDearWatson, Yeah, I get that. Obviously I'd want the original instruments used on an Android device though.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-06-14 19:22:38

Maybe try experimenting with virtual midi synthesizers to change how it sounds like?
Talkback is using android soundont, so if someone have it, just try.
Regards.

Hey, if you wanna chat, add me on discord.: VIPPotato#3363
or you can chat with me on telegram: https://t.me/VIPPotato
Regards, and take care.

2020-06-14 22:10:39 (edited by Minionslayer 2020-06-14 22:16:44)

So what do you know. I grabbed an Android soundfont and the sounds play as expected really.
Now to try and get these sounds in a better format. Is there a lazy way I can do this while preserving soundfont settings apart from manually recording? I will if I have to I guess.

2020-06-14 22:49:23

yes my friend mentioned they would play correctly with a soundfont

2020-06-14 22:50:56

this site has an online midi converter. just put the midis on your google drive, upload them to the site, select your soundfont, and within a fiew days, you'll get the converted midis sent streight to your email. and yes, android is one of the available soundfonts, as well as samsung tv which uses the same soundfont.
https://devanwolf.wixsite.com/midiform

-id software, 1995

2020-06-14 23:18:32

@ammericandad2005, Might be missing something, but I can't find the Android option.

2020-06-15 02:29:59

android was removed last time I checked. try samsung smart tv since that uses the same soundfont.

-id software, 1995

2020-06-15 10:58:30 (edited by Minionslayer 2020-06-15 12:35:26)

@ammericandad2005, Just seeing this now. I'll try ASAP.
Edit; Interestingly, I can't submit a link anymore, where I could yesterday. Now it asks for a local file, where it would be easier to provide a link.

2020-06-15 19:06:12

it interfaces with google drive. put the midi you want on your google drive account, and when you get to the upload part, sellect "my drive" to get there.

-id software, 1995

2020-06-15 20:17:25

Yeah, I did that. It just didn't appear!

2020-06-16 14:48:20 (edited by haily_merry 2020-06-16 14:50:29)

Hey, can anyone tell me where exactly the sounds are located inside the APK? I've had a good look around but can't find them for the life of me.
Also, I assume these are the talkback sounds from before android 8 / 9, whatever version they changed them? I rather like those sounds, might make an audex sound scheme for them.

2020-06-16 14:57:22

@haily_merry, The sounds are located in the res folder, then raw. This is for both Audex's and TB's APK, and yes, I think we are talking about the same set of sounds.

2020-06-16 14:57:58

Never mind, I found them. Interesting that they're in midi though. Sadly these also don't seem to be the sounds I'm looking for either. sad
Anyone have any ideas as to where those can be found?

2020-06-16 15:55:59

@haily_merry, Once again, I honestly have no idea what sounds you're referring to. Can you give me an instance when they were used? Perhaps you have some sort of clips where the sounds are heard? For now, I'm not aware of them.
The fact that these are in MIDI, does that mean in theory, that they'd sound different if a different soundfont was used somehow? I wonder why they chose that over some sort of compressed audio format. I can't think of any advantages. I guessed they switched to audio though, as all of the newer TB sounds I can find are just in a standard audio format. If this is true, I wonder why they changed formats.

2020-06-16 16:10:07

Yeah, possibly it could be the soundfont messing with the sound. I'm talking about the sounds that were used before they changed them to the current ones. They sounded a lot more musical, I remember that much.

2020-06-16 17:27:53

@haily_merry, Yeah, again, I have no idea which ones you could be thinking of, especially if you don't have an audio demo of them.

2020-06-28 23:30:06

There is only one set of midi sounds, so if they don't sound like the originals did it would be the soundfont messing with them, or it could be that your midi player isn't using the Android midi soundfont. THe only other sounds there were were the sounds from Soundback that were used up until Android 4.1.1 Jellybean.

2020-06-28 23:46:26

I would only like to note that if you are trying to make an Audex soundpack, you don't need to convert anything. Audex accepts midi files just fine. I also used to prefer older sounds even though many people found them annoying, and back in my days of using Android I also created an Audex pack with old TB sounds, and the midi files can be imported just fine.

2020-06-29 17:55:45

@jack, Yeah, I've got the correct soundfont, and they play fine, but it's converting them to a format other than MIDI that's stumped me for a little while.
I don't want to record manually (cause I'm lazy, duh) but using Switch or other audio converters that even accept MIDI in the first place convert using the Microsoft Wavetable GS Synth (or as I like to call it, "the Microwavable Synth", cause I'd get as much use out of it after microwaving it). Anyway, that site posted earlier strait-up didn't even give me the option to send files the way I had them set up, so that was out of the question.
Small correction: I used those set of sounds on 4.4.2 (Kit-Kat) so it must have been available then too. It looks like 5 brought about the new sounds, though I haven't used 5 long enough to be able to tell you.